American Airlines does not allow a full change of name from one person to another. However, name corrections are allowed on fully unused tickets. These can be of 2 types, minor and major.
Minor name changes can be made free of charge. They apply to flights booked on American Airlines and American Eagle flights. Minor name corrections apply to:
- Last name changes of up to 3 characters only.
- Legal name correction but only on prime AA itineraries.
- Name change due to marriage or divorce—only on prime AA itineraries.
- Name update of second or additional last name
(can be added or removed to match documentation)
Remember, the passenger’s date of birth, gender, and SFPD, i.e., Secure Flight Passenger Data, cannot be changed. Also, flights booked in Business Class (R inventory) can only be made under Major name corrections.
Major name corrections apply to flights ticketed in R inventory, codeshare flights on AA or oneworld codeshares, and non-oneworld carriers. Major name corrections require a new PNR due to software limitations and are subject to a name change fee of USD 25. Major name corrections refer to:
- Last name changes of more than 3 characters.
- Legal name correction (AA flights).
- Marriage or divorce (AA flights).
- Change of name that has already been processed.
Can I change the name on my American Airlines ticket?
You can make minor name changes (up to 3 characters to the last name) free of charge. Major name changes of more than 3 characters will cost USD 25, but a complete change of name (resulting in a new passenger entity) is not permitted. Name changes due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons are permitted if backed by valid legal documentation.