Cancelling a flight can be confusing and costly for most people. This page guides you through the Emirates cancellation policy in simple English. After going through it, you will know how to save money—either by cancelling your flight and asking for a refund, or taking advantage of the new Emirates cancellation policy relaxations due to COVID-19.
Emirates Flight Cancellation with Full Refund
Can I cancel my Emirates flight and get a full refund?
Under the Emirates cancellation policy, only Flex Plus fares are fully refundable across all classes. Most of the other fares can either not be refunded (Special/Saver) or refunded for a fee. However, flight cancellations with full refunds on unused/partially unused tickets are possible if:
- You book an Emirates flight ticket at least 7 days before departure and:
- Cancel it within 24 hours
- Your flight originates from the United States, and
- You booked online from Emirates’ U.S. website
- The Emirates flight is affected by the COVID-19* situation and:
- Your ticket was issued before April 1, 2021, with a travel date on/before December 31, 2021 (with a now-extended travel date of up to 36 from the date of booking).
- Your ticket was issued on/after April 1, 2021 (travel period now extended up to 2 years from the date of booking).
- Emirates cancelled your flight and the new flight offered by the airline doesn’t suit you.
- Your flight departs from a European Union country and is delayed by at least 5 hours.
- You’re holding a Flex Plus ticket (fully refundable) and you cancel your flight.
- You were denied boarding on a confirmed booking.
- You cancel your flight due to severe weather conditions.
- An unforeseen situation prevents you from catching your flight—such as the death or serious illness of a passenger/immediate family member (subject to documentary evidence and Emirates agreeing to it).
|* Your flight can be said to be affected by COVID-19 if: Your flight was cancelled by Emirates.There are entry ban or quarantine restrictions at your destination city. Local regulations in your city/country prevent you from leaving your city/country.|
In all other cases, you may be charged a cancellation fee.
The Emirates cancellation policy also requires the following:
- You must cancel your flight before it departs, otherwise, it will be treated as a no-show.
- For your refund to be processed, you must fill out and submit the ticket refund form.
- Refund claims will typically be processed within 14 days of your submitting the required documentation.
- You must make a refund request within 2 years from the date of issue of the ticket.
- Refunds will be credited to the original form of payment.
- If you do not reconfirm a flight requiring reconfirmation (some flights require reconfirmation), your ticket may be cancelled and you may not be entitled to any refund.
- If you don’t qualify for a full refund, you will likely be eligible to extend the validity of your ticket for 24 months at no extra charge.
- The exact refund amount (if you don’t qualify for a full refund) will depend on the fare conditions of your ticket.
How to Cancel Your Emirates Flight Booking
Under the Emirates cancellation policy, you can cancel your flight booking online or by phone (+1-844-902-2949).
A screenshot of Emirates Manage booking/Check in tab
You can cancel your Emirates flight online as explained below:
- Go to Emirates.com
- Click on the Manage booking/Check in tab (as shown above)
- On the next screen, enter your last name and booking reference number
- Click on the button marked Manage booking
- Select and cancel your flight
A confirmation mail will be sent to you, informing you that your flight has been cancelled.
Emirates Compensation for Long Delays—Flights Departing from the European Union
Under EC Regulation 261/2004, you may be entitled to compensation if your flight departing from an airport in the European Union is delayed by more than 3 hours due to reasons within the airline’s control—such as mechanical problems, maintenance issues, pilot not being fit to fly, lack of passengers, etc. You will not be entitled to any compensation if the delay is due to unavoidable circumstances beyond the airline’s control—such as bad weather, bird hits, political instability, airspace restrictions, etc.
If you qualify for a long-delay compensation, you will receive:
- EUR 250 if your flight route does not exceed 1,500 km.
- EUR 400 if your flight route is between 1,500–3,000 km in the EU.
- EUR 600 for all other flights.
- Your compensation will be reduced by 50% if you are offered a rerouting option to your final destination and the scheduled arrival time does not exceed that of the original flight by:
- 2 hours for flights up to 1,500 km.
- 3 hours for flights between 1,500–3,000 km within the EU.
- 4 hours for all other flights.
- If you are downgraded and placed in a lower cabin class or a smaller aircraft, you will be entitled to a compensation of:
- 50% of the applicable fare for flights between 1,500–3000 km for those parts of the journey where you were downgraded.
- 75 of the applicable fare for flights exceeding 3,500 for those parts of the journey where you were downgraded.
Additional Assistance for Cancellations or Long Delays
If your flight departing from an airport in the European Union is cancelled or overly delayed, you are entitled to receive the following assistance—regardless of the reason for the delay:
- Refreshments and/or meals
- Emails or phone calls
- Hotel accommodation, if required
- To-and-fro transportation from the hotel
If your flight from an airport in the EU is delayed by more than 5 hours:
- Emirates will make arrangements to fly you back to your origin city free of charge.
- You don’t have to take the rescheduled flight—you are eligible to get a refund.
- You may also be entitled to additional compensation.
Emirates Compensation for Long Delays—Flights Departing the United States
If your Emirates flight falls under the U.S. DOT rules, you may be entitled to the following compensation (for long delays) under certain conditions:
- 200% of your one-way ticket cost subject to a limit of USD 775 if you reach your destination 1–2 hours after your original arrival time.
- 400% of your one-way ticket cost subject to a limit of USD 1,550 if you reach your destination within the U.S. at least 2 hours after your original arrival time or your international destination at least 4 hours after your original arrival time, or if the airline does not offer alternative travel arrangements.
- The price of an award flight or a flight ticket purchased through a consolidator.
- The price of the ticket if you decline the alternative flight offered by the airline.
- The price of the optional services purchased (such as for seat booking, checked baggage, Wi-Fi, etc.) if you did not receive them.
Remember, you will not be entitled to receive any compensation if:
- Your flight is delayed due to bad weather, air traffic, or mechanical issues.
- You don’t have a confirmed booking.
- You don’t check in on time or miss your boarding deadline.
- You’re offered an alternative flight, even if it’s a smaller aircraft.
- An aircraft with 30–60 seats bumps you for safety reasons.
- You chartered a flight and are bumped.
- You booked a flight with less than 30 seats.
- You made international flight booking to the U.S.
How to Apply for a Refund on Your Emirates Booking
The Emirates cancellation policy requires that to request a refund on a canceled flight, you must fill out Emirates’ refund request form. If your cancellation does not meet the temporarily relaxed COVID-19 conditions, your refund request will be processed based on your ticket’s fare conditions. Alternatively, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org by email.
The Emirates cancellation policy also states that if you’ve purchased your ticket from a third party or a travel agent, you will need to ask them to process your refund.
Emirates Flight Cancellation Charges
What is Emirates Airlines’ ticket cancellation fee?
Emirates Flight Cancellation Charges—Special Fares (Business, Economy)
Special fares are offered occasionally and are normally the lowest fares. According to Emirates cancellation policy, such fares are non-refundable and non-upgradeable. This means if you cancel a Special fare, you will not receive any refund aside from refundable taxes/charges—but not the fare. In other words, the Emirates cancellation fee on Special fares is the price of the entire fare.
Emirates Flight Cancellation Charges—Saver Fare (Business, Economy)
According to Emirates cancellation policy, Saver fares (costlier than Special fares) can be cancelled for a fee. The Emirates cancellation fee for international flights departing from the United States is:
- USD 300 for Economy Saver fares.
- USD 400 for Business Saver fares.
Emirates Flight Cancellation Charges—Economy Flex, Business Flex, First Class Flex Fares
According to Emirates cancellation policy, Flex fares (costlier) can also be changed or cancelled for a fee. The Emirates cancellation fee for an international flight that departs from the United States is:
- For Economy Flex fares—USD 200.
- For Business Flex fares:
- USD 400 if you cancel before departure.
- USD 1,000 if you cancel after departure.
- For First Flex fares—USD 400.
Emirates Flight Cancellation Charges—Economy Flex Plus, Business Flex Plus, First Flex Plus Fares
Flex Plus fares, available across all travel classes, are costlier but most flexible. According to Emirates cancellation policy, Flex Plus fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge across all classes.
Emirates Holidays Cancellation Policy
Under Emirates holidays cancellations policy, it may not be possible to cancel:
- Travel during certain periods
- Certain types of rooms
- Special fares
Cancelling such packages can incur a cancellation fee of up to 100%. You must always ask for the complete details when booking your holiday package.
Emirates Holiday Cancellation Charges
Under Emirates holidays cancellation policy, the cancellation charges (unless otherwise indicated) are as follows:
Time Period Before Departure Cancellation charge
- Within 24 hours of booking Nil
- At least 30 days before booking USD 200 per person
- 15 – 29 days 50% of the holiday cost
- 0 – 14 days 100% of the holiday cost
Emirates holiday cancellation policy further states that separate cancellation charges may apply for:
- Cruise holidays.
- Train journeys.
- Peak holiday periods such as public holidays, special events, exhibitions, and festival holidays such as Eid, Christmas, and New Year.