Since Kayak is a search engine and not an online travel agency (OTA), the flight cancellation policy applicable to your ticket will depend on which airline ticket you’ve purchased through Kayak. Below is an overview of what you should know about the Kayak cancellation policy, i.e., the cancellation policy of the ticket you have purchased through Kayak.
- Your ability to cancel a ticket will depend on the fare rules of the airline whose ticket you have purchased.
- According to the U.S. DOT rules, if you purchase a ticket from a U.S.-based airline at least 7 days before departure and cancel it within 24 hours of purchase, you will not be charged a cancellation fee. However, this does not apply to airlines/routes that do not fall under the purview of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- To learn about the cancellation policy of your ticket, call Kayak’s Customer Care representatives at 1-855-920-9942.
- Cancellations made through Kayak will be subject to Kayak’s processing fee in addition to the cancellation fee charged by the airline (if any).
- Voluntary cancellations, i.e., cancellations made by a passenger, must be requested at least 24 hours before the flight’s scheduled departure time.
- If you do not cancel your ticket before departure or show up for your flight (no-show), you may not be eligible for a refund.
- You must request a refund (if the fare rules permit) within your ticket’s validity period. Remember, most discounted fares are partially or fully non-refundable.
- For partially used tickets that qualify for a refund, the refundable amount will be calculated on the unused portion of the ticket. If no value remains, only the unused portion of the tax (if any) will be refunded.
- If your ticket doesn’t qualify for a refund, you may be offered alternative options (e-credits, etc.) depending on the fare rules of your ticket.
- When you cancel a ticket, the additional flight services purchased from third parties—such as airport transfer, insurance, etc.—will not be cancelled automatically. You must cancel them directly by contacting the third-party service provider.
- If your flight is cancelled by the airline or it does not operate as scheduled, you have the option to choose the alternative travel arrangements offered to you by the airline. If the alternative arrangements don’t suit you, you may have the option to ask for a refund if the fare conditions of your ticket permit. Kayak’s standard processing fee for requests via the service center, social media, or other channels (typically USD 100 per ticket) will apply in addition to any administrative fees and penalties that may apply.
- If you’re holding a Support Package ticket, you will be charged a processing fee based on the type of package purchased by you.
- All refunds will be subject to the following deductions:
- Applicable cancellation fee charged by the airline.
- Administrative fees, Support Packages, and/or tips (all of which are considered non-refundable).
Note. All cancellations are subject to the airline’s discretion. The service fees paid by you to Kayak for processing your request are non-refundable.
Kayak Cancellation within 24 Hours
What is the Kayak 24-hour cancellation policy?
Kayak’s 24-hour cancellation policy applied to the U.S. markets only. Under this policy, if you purchase your ticket at least 7 days before departure and cancel it within 24 hours:
- Kayak will charge you a processing fee of USD 50 for the Basic Plan.
- Kayak will not charge any processing fee for Standard and Plus plans.
Kayak Cancellation Policy After 24 Hours
What if I cancel my ticket on Kayak after 24 hours of purchase?
If you cancel your ticket outside of the 24-hour window or cancel a non-U.S. market ticket:
- Kayak will charge you a processing fee of USD 100 in addition to the fees charged by the airline company (depending on your ticket’s fare rules).
- Kayak will charge you a processing fee of USD 50 for a Standard plan or a service bundle.
- Kayak will not charge any processing fee for a Plus plan.
Kayak Free Cancellation
According to the Kayak cancellation policy, Kayak will not charge you any cancellation fee:
- If you cancel a Standard or a Plus plan ticket within 24 hours of purchase, as long as it’s for a U.S. market.
- If you cancel a Plus plan ticket outside of the 24-hour window.
- If you cancel a Plus plan ticket for a non-U.S. flight segment.
Kayak Cancellation Fee
What is the cancellation fee charged by Kayak?
Kayak’s cancellation fee for processing flight cancellations is:
- USD 100 for standard cancellations.
- USD 50 if you cancel a Standard plan ticket or a service bundle within 24 hours of booking (U.S. markets only).
- USD 0 for cancelling a Plus plan ticket on any flight segment (U.S./non-U.S.).
How to Cancel a Flight Ticket on Kayak
How do I cancel a flight on Kayak?
According to the Kayak travel cancellation policy, you can cancel a flight ticket booked through Kayak by contacting the airline, service provider, or OTA you purchased your ticket from. You can also visit the Bookings page of Kayak’s website (accessible via Trips) for support. However, in most cases, you will have to contact the service provider directly.
Note. You must request the cancellation at least 24 hours before the first scheduled departure.
Refund Processing Time
- Tickets that qualify for a refund are issued within 20 business days for credit/debit card purchases. However, it may take 1 or 2 billing cycles to reflect in your statement.
- Refunds are credited to the original payment method in most cases but may be made via alternative methods (such as PayPal) in exceptional situations.
Kayak’s Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) Plan
Kayak’s Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) plan allows you to request a ticket cancellation without any documentation and get a partial refund under the following conditions:
- You can cancel a flight ticket purchased on Kayak by contacting the airline or online travel agency (OTA) you purchased your ticket from. For details, refer to the email you received from Kayak (the service provider’s name will be mentioned there). If you have any doubts or need to know the cancellation policy, call Kayak’s Customer Care at 1-855-920-9942 or use Kayak’s Contact us form at least 24 hours before the first scheduled departure.
- The CFAR plan does not apply to cancellations made directly with the airline.
- If you cancel within 24 hours of departure, the CFAR plan will not apply and the fee imposed by the airline will apply.
- The CFAR plan is non-refundable.
- If you cancel the CFAR plan, your request will apply to the entire booking—it cannot be applied to individual flight segments.
- The CFAR plan does not apply after your trip commences.
- Once you make a valid cancellation request, you will be refunded the full cost of your ticket.
- The CFAR plan does not cover additional purchases such as seat selections, additional baggage, insurance, etc., which will not be refunded.
- CFAR plans are refunded within 15 days from the requested date.
- The CFAR plan will be considered used and non-refundable if the airline is making a full refund due to an involuntary cancellation.
Conditions of Refund
- You may be entitled to a refund if you’re unable to change your travel services/dates.
- Some airlines/OTAs may refund the unused portion of non-refundable tickets.
- If you make a refund request through Kayak, Kayak will act on your behalf to cancel your booking with the airline/OTA.
- Kayak will entertain refund requests only if you meet the following 3 conditions:
- The airline/OTA cancels or significantly changes your flight.
- The airline/OTA acknowledges that you are entitled to a refund.
- Your funds are in possession of Kayak or a third-party service provider.
Note. If you’re unable to meet the above-mentioned conditions, you will not be entitled to a refund. In such a scenario, the obligation to provide a refund rests directly with the airline or travel supplier according to the United States D.O.T.