American Airlines flight change policy allows you to change your flight and rebook it to a later date. You can either change it free of charge or for a fee, as explained below.
American Airlines will not charge any change fee:
- On all flights within the United States (except Basic Economy).
- On select short-haul international flights, incl. those between the USA and Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, the U.S.V.I., and Puerto Rico.
American Airlines 24-Hour Flight Change Policy
Per American Airlines’ 24-hour flight change policy, regardless of type of what fare you’re holding, you can make changes to your flight reservations within 24 hours of purchase without being charged any fee.
American Airline Change Flight Policy—Basic Economy Tickets
American Airlines does not permit flight changes to Basic Economy tickets on domestic flights, i.e., flights within the United States, as well as flights to/from Canada, the Caribbean, and Central America. However, it allows flight changes on international flights between the United States and Europe for a change fee of up to USD 750.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy—Domestic and Short-Haul International Tickets
The airline does not charge a change fee for changing any domestic flight ticket (except Basic Economy) within the United States or short-haul international flights, such as between the USA and Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, the U.S.V.I., and Puerto Rico.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy—Long-Haul International Tickets
You will not be charged any change fee for making changes to long-haul tickets (except Basic Economy) that originate in North America or South America.
However, changes made to all other long-haul routes will incur a change fee of USD 750.
American Airline Change Flight Policy—Non-Refundable Tickets
When you’re holding a non-refundable ticket, American Airlines will not charge you any fee for changing/rebooking a domestic flight once, but this does not apply to Basic Economy tickets. If your new ticket is more expensive, you will have to pay the fare difference.
If your flight does not originate from North or South America, a change fee of up to USD 750 will apply, depending on your fare type, unless you purchased your ticket between April 1–30, 2021.
Exception. The change fee for international flights not originating from North or South America will not apply to tickets purchased between April 1–30, 2021 (for all travel dates), except Basic Economy tickets.
If you’re making a same-day change to your Economy Class fare, American Airlines will charge you a change fee between USD 75–150. However, passengers holding Business and First Class fares can make same-day changes free of charge.
American Airline Change Flight Policy—Refundable Tickets
Per American Airlines Flight Change Policy, if your fare is refundable and you change/rebook your flight, you will not be charged any change fee. If your new ticket is costlier, you will have to pay the fare difference. If your new ticket is cheaper, the difference will be credited to your original payment method.
American Airline Change Flight Policy—Award Tickets
If you’re holding an award ticket, you can change it free of charge/redeposit fees. The value of your award ticket will be credited back to your account for future use.
How to Change an American Airlines Flight
If you booked your ticket directly from American Airlines (online, via the app, sales office, or ticket center), you can change it online—up to 2 hours before your flight’s departure. You can also make changes to your booking by calling American Airlines or (if you purchased from a third party) the travel agency you purchased your ticket from.
To make changes to your American Airlines flight through AA.com, follow the steps explained below.
- Go to AA.com
- Access your trip by selecting Manage trips/Check-in and populating the boxes shown below.
- After filling out the boxes, click on the button that says Find your trip.
- Your trip details will show up on your screen. Click on the View/Change (or Change trip) button appearing against the flight you want to change.
- Go through the prompts to change your flight booking.
Tips: Flight changes can also be made with the mobile app.
- If you’re unable to locate the Change trip or View/Change option, call American Airlines reservations and ask for assistance.
- Once you’re ready to rebook a canceled flight, you can do it online through the View canceled trips option in the Manage trips/Check-in section. If you need help, call American Airlines reservations for help.
Flexibility for Existing American Airlines Tickets
- American Airlines has waived the change fee for tickets purchased between March 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.
- If you’re holding a flight ticket that expires on March 21, 2021, you can use the value of the unused ticket anytime up to March 31, 2022.
- The change fees for flights originating out of North or South America purchased between April 1–30, 2021 have been waived (except Basic Economy).
- If you booked a ticket before March 1, 2020, and are set to travel on or before May 31, 2020, you can change your tickets one time free of charge.
- If you’re holding an Economy fare, you are now permitted to purchase extras such as upgrades, same-day flight changes, and priority boarding.
- AAdvantage elite members are permitted to apply for their benefits on all fares, incl. Basic Economy.
- You are also permitted to change your trip once free of charge. Plus, you can cancel your trip and rebook later, incl. Basic Economy tickets purchased from March 1, 2020, to March 31, 2021.
How to Use American Airlines’ Travel eVoucher
To retrieve your eVoucher number and PIN:
- Click on the link you received by email
- Enter the eVoucher number and PIN on the payment page
You can use up to 8 eVouchers at one time. If your ticket price exceeds the value of your eVouchers, you can pay the balance by credit card.
Other Ways to Change Your American Airlines Flights
If you can’t change or cancel your American Airlines reservations online, speak with a customer service representative on phone.
American Airlines Flight Change Number
Ticket Reservations and Changes +1-866-399-0587
(USA/Canada, toll-free, open 24/7)
How to Avoid Paying a Change Fee on American Airlines
- Leverage the 24-hour change policy: Regardless of what type of ticket you’ve purchased, you can make changes to your flight free of charge within the 24-hour window, provided you book your ticket at least 2 days (48 hours) before your flight’s scheduled departure time.
- Book well ahead of time: If you purchase your ticket well in advance and your flight schedule changes by at least 61 minutes, you have the option to reschedule your flight free of charge.
- Buy a nonstop flight ticket: If American Airlines changes a nonstop flight to a flight with one or more connections, you can reschedule your flight at no additional charge.
- If American majorly reschedules your flight: you may be allowed to reschedule your flight at no additional charge.
- Make your flight cancellation work for you: If American Airlines cancels a flight for which you’ve purchased a non-refundable ticket, you are eligible to book a flight that suits you without having to pay any change fee.
- Take advantage of your Elite status: If you book an award ticket as an American Executive Platinum member, you are allowed to change it at no additional charge.
Emergency situations. If a critical illness or an emergency prevents you from traveling and you can prove it with valid documentation, speak with a staff member and ask how they can help.