Nobody likes flight disruptions and if you’re a frequent traveller, you’re likely to have had your travel plans disrupted at least once. Use this quick guide to learn what you can expect in case your flight is disrupted and under what conditions you can expect to receive Swoop flight delay compensation.
The important thing to note is that you can only expect to receive flight delay compensation for delays and cancellations arising due to reasons within the control of the airline and not outside of its control, such as bad weather, air traffic control decisions, airport strikes, acts of terrorism, etc.
A snapshot of Swoop flight delays situations is provided below, along with the situations that entitle you to receive Swoop Airlines flight delay compensation.
Swoop Delays Outside Airlines Control
- If a Swoop flight is delayed by over 3 hours, you can expect to be rebooked on the next Swoop flight available or a flight operated by an airline with which Swoop has commercial agreements (upon your request) for no additional cost to you.
- If Swoop cannot provide a confirmed booking to you on an alternative flight departing within 48 hours of the departure time mentioned on your original ticket, you have the option to obtain a full refund within 30 days or get rebooked on another flight suitable to you.
Flight Delays Within Swoop Airlines Control Due to Safety Reasons
- If you’re informed of the flight delay less than 12 hours prior to the scheduled departure time mentioned on the original ticket and you have waited for at least 2 hours after the departure time mentioned on your ticket, you’ll be provided vouchers for food and drink.
- If the flight delay is expected to extend overnight for your original flight or an alternative flight offered to you, you’ll be offered complimentary hotel accommodation and to-and-fro transportation between the airport and the hotel.
Flight Delays Within Swoop Airlines Control
- If your Swoop Airlines flight is delayed by more than 2 hours, you’ll be given vouchers for food and drink and a hotel voucher if the flight delay is expected to stretch overnight.
- If your Swoop flight is delayed by 3 hours or more, you have the option to:
- Ask for a full refund* of the ticket, or
- Be rebooked on another flight available on Swoop or another airline with which it has commercial arrangements (upon your request)
*If requesting a refund, you’ll be additionally entitled to a minimum compensation of USD/CAD 400 (on a large carrier) and USD/CAD 125 (on a small carrier). Compensation details are provided in the next section below.
Flight Delay for Denied Boarding Cases
If you’re denied boarding involuntarily due to overboard (i.e., more passengers check-in for a flight than the number of seats on the aircraft), you’ll be:
- Rebooked on the next flight available for no additional charge, or
- Requested to volunteer to be accommodated on a different flight for no additional charge, in which case you’ll be provided the benefits in writing before departure, or
- Selected for re-accommodation for no additional charge, depending on your check-in time and requirements (SSR codes and available accommodations), or
- Issued compensation in a form acceptable to you, based on the delay.
Note: You’ll be informed about the cash/equivalent compensation amount, subject to how you want to receive the compensation.
When Am I Eligible to Receive Flight Delay Compensation from Swoop Airlines?
You can receive Swoop flight delay compensation if:
- You’re travelling on a Swoop-operated flight, and
- You were notified of the flight delay 14 days or fewer before the departure time indicated on your original flight ticket, and
- Your flight is delayed by over 3 hours, and
- The reason for the flight delay/cancellation is within Swoop Airlines’ control, and
- The alternative flight offered to you does not meet your requirements, and
- You’ve been refunded for the delayed/cancelled flight, and
- You want to receive compensation from Swoop Airlines for the inconvenience caused
How Much is Swoop Airlines Flight Delay Compensation?
If you meet all the conditions mentioned above, you can request a complete refund of the ticket plus compensation for the inconvenience but only if you request (it will not be provided automatically). The amount of flight delay compensation will depend on the duration of delay in arrival at your destination compared to the original flight’s arrival time.
- For a flight delay of 3-6 hours, the minimum flight delay compensation is USD/CAD 125.
- For a flight delay of 6-9 hours, the minimum flight delay compensation is USD/CAD 250.
- For a flight delay of 9-plus hours, the minimum flight delay compensation is USD/CAD 500.
How to Submit a Claim for Flight Delay Compensation
You can submit a claim for flight delay compensation online through the Canadian Air Protection Rights page. When filling out the flight delay compensation form, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Canadian Air Protection Rights page
- From the Category dropdown, Swoop Cancelled Flight or select Delayed
- Enter the required information, incl. but not limited to:
- Your Email
- Your first name
- Your full mailing address
- Your phone number
- Your last name
- Your travel date
- Your arrival and departure airport
- Your reservation code
- Your flight number
- Hit the Submit button
Swoop Airlines Involuntary Denied Boarding Compensation
If you were denied boarding involuntarily (against your wishes) because of overbooking or reasons within the control of the airline and not related to safety reasons, you may be entitled to financial compensation from Swoop Airlines. The quantum of compensation for boarding denial cases will be based on the duration of delay on arrival at the destination airport.
The amount of boarding denial compensation is as follows for Canada and USA:
- $900 for flight delays of up to 6 hours
- $1,800 for flight delays of 6-9 hours
- $2,400 for flight delays exceeding 9 hours
Swoop Flight Delay Compensation Tips
- If you’re denied boarding involuntarily, you’ll be informed in writing about the compensation due to you (in cash or equivalent).
- The compensation will be paid in the form of cash/equivalent, bank draft, check, or flight credit (if you agree) on the boarding denial date and place, but within 48 hours if the compensation cannot be paid by your new flight’s departure time.
- You must file your compensation claim within 1 year, after which no compensation will be due.
- The amount of compensation may be increased if the flight delay is more than the delay period previously agreed upon.
- You must submit your claim directly to Swoop Airlines and allow 30 days to respond (or less if prescribed by law) directly to you.
- Claims submitted by third parties will not be processed by Swoop Airlines, unless:
- The claimant is an unaccompanied minor in which case the claim can only be made by the minor’s parent or legal guardian on the minor’s behalf, or
- The third party has proper documentation to act on the claimant’s behalf, or
- You’re allowed to submit a claim on behalf of other passengers on the same flight booking as yours, provided you can present valid evidence that you have the consent of the other passengers to claim on their behalf.
Exceptions: You will not receive any compensation if you were denied boarding because your ID was invalid, you missed the check-in deadline, you were intoxicated, or due to medical reasons that rendered you unfit for travel.
Swoop Airlines Tarmac Delays
If you are faced with a tarmac-delay situation at the departure or arrival airport while you’re still inside the aircraft, Swoop Airlines will:
- Provide you with access to facilities such as heating/cooling, onboard lavatories, proper ventilation, and outside-the-aircraft communication for no additional cost.
- Provide free water and snacks if the delay exceeds 90 minutes, as well as paid snacks and drinks (except alcoholic drinks) before 90 minutes.
- Return to the gate for disembarkation from the aircraft (if it is safe) if the tarmac exceeds 3 hours within Canada. If the aircraft is likely to take off within 45 minutes after the 3-hour period, it may stay on the tarmac (to avoid further delay and/or cancellation) and you may continue to be provided free water and snacks, if feasible.
Swoop Airlines Refund Policy
According to Swoop Airlines refund policy, all tickets are non-refundable outside the free 24-hour period. The other important points to remember about Swoop Airlines refund policy are as follows:
- You can cancel and refund any ticket penalty-free within 24 hours of booking, provided you purchased it at least 7 days before departure.
- After the free 24-hour period (above), all tickets are non-refundable.
- Tickets cancelled within the free 24-hour window will be refunded to the original form of payment.
- Swoop will not charge a No-Show fee if you fail to show up for your flight. However, Swoop Airlines refund policy states that the fare paid by you in such cases will be forfeited, except for refundable taxes.
- Purchasing ModiFly at the time of purchase allows you to change your flight time and/or date once, but not cancel and refund it.
- All flight change fees are non-refundable.
- If Swoop Airlines cancels your flight and is unable to provide an alternative option, you will receive a complete refund of your fare, incl. taxes and extras such as the seat and baggage fees.
- If Swoop Airlines cancels your flight and offers an alternative option that you decline, you’ll be issued a travel credit comprising the full value of the ticket, taxes, and extras (if any), valid for 24 months (2 years) from the cancellation date. However, you cannot convert the travel credit into a cash refund.
Frequently Asked Questions
The section below provides answers to commonly asked questions relating to Swoop Airlines flight delay compensation, refund policy, and more.
If you qualify for Swoop Airlines delayed flight compensation and request the compensation in writing, the compensation amount will be:
1. Nil if the flight delay is less than 3 hours.
2. At least USD/CAD 125 if the flight delay is 3-6 hours.
3. At least USD/CAD 250 if the flight delay is 6-9 hours.
4. At least USD/CAD 500 if the flight delay is more than 9 hours.
Per Swoop Airlines ticket refund policy, any ticket is non-refundable after the free 24-hour window. Other major points to bear in mind about Swoop Airlines ticket refund policy are provided below:
1. You can cancel and refund your ticket without any penalty provided you book it 7 or more days prior to departure and then cancel it within 24 hours.
2. All tickets are non-refundable after the free 24-hour window.
3. Ticket refunds for cancellations made within the 24-hour grace window will be issued to the original payment form.
4. You will not be charged a No-Show fee if you don’t turn up for your flight. However, Swoop Airlines ticket refund policy states other than the refundable part of the taxes, the entire fare will be forfeited.
5. The flight change fee is non-refundable.
6. If your Swoop Airlines flight is cancelled and:
a. You cannot be provided an alternative travel option, the entire fare (incl. taxes and extras) paid by you’ll be refunded via the original payment method or as travel credit if you wish.
b. You’re offered an alternative travel option and if you decline it, you’ll be provided a 24-month travel credit (from the cancellation date) for the full value of the ticket, incl. taxes, and extras. The travel credit can be applied toward future travel, but not converted into cash.
There is a time limit of 1 year from the date your flight was cancelled or significantly delayed for filing a flight delay compensation claim with Swoop. Additionally, you must provide proof of your travel arrangements, such as your reservation code, flight number, travel date, your full name, and full contact details, etc.
It usually takes up to 30 days from the time you file a valid claim to get your Swoop flight delay compensation.
If you were involuntarily denied boarding and the flight offered to you was delayed by more than 3 hours, you may be eligible to claim compensation for the delayed flight online via this link.
Alternatively, you can contact Swoop by phone to determine if you are eligible for compensation.
In general, compensation claims on Swoop Airlines usually take up to 30 days to process. However, this can vary depending on the airline’s backlog of claims and the severity of your flight delay.
If you cancel your flight within the free 24-hour window, you can get a refund to your original form of payment, regardless of what type of ticket you’ve purchased.
You have up to 1 year to file a flight delay compensation claim with Swoop Airlines.
The compensation you can get for a delayed flight on Swoop will depend on how long your flight is delayed compared to the original flight.
1. For flight delays of 3-6 hours, the minimum compensation is USD/CAD 125.
2. For flight delays of 6-9 hours, the minimum compensation is USD/CAD 250.
3. For a flight delay of at least 9 hours, the minimum compensation is USD/CAD 500.
Your flight must be delayed for at least 3 hours for you to claim compensation, provided you fulfill the other conditions as well. For details, refer to the sections above.