American Airlines Unaccompanied Minors policy allows children aged 5 to 14 years to travel unaccompanied after booking the service for Unaccompanied Minors.
Per American Airlines’ policy on Unaccompanied Minors:
- Children between 5–14 years must either travel with a parent/legal guardian/passenger who is at least 16 years old, or use the Unaccompanied Minors service.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service is optional for children between 15–17. However, they require a gate escort and guardian contact and can only travel on nonstop flights or connecting flights through Washington Reagan, Phoenix, Philadelphia, New York (JFK and LGA), Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas Forth Worth, Chicago, and Charlotte.
- Children below 5 are not allowed to travel alone on American Airlines.
- Children aged 5–7 years must use the Unaccompanied Minor service. They require a gate escort and guardian contact, and will only be accepted on nonstop flights.
- Children between 8–14 years must be booked as Unaccompanied Minors on American Airlines’ flights. They require a gate escort and guardian contact, and will only be accepted on nonstop, direct, or connecting flights through Washington Reagan, Phoenix, Philadelphia, New York (JFK and LGA), Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas Forth Worth, Chicago, and Charlotte.
- Children between 2–14 years can travel as Unaccompanied Minors with someone who is at least 16 years old.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service cannot be booked online but ticket bookings can be done online.
- American Airlines does not allow children to travel alone on trips that include:
- Flights on other airlines (incl. codeshare and one world partner flights).
- Overnight connecting flights.
- Co-terminal/ground connections involving airport transfer.
- The last flight of the day from the final connection point unless it’s the only flight.
- Food and drink services are currently limited, so pack enough snacks for your child.
How to Book Unaccompanied Minor Flights on American Airlines
You can only book the Unaccompanied Minors service by phone or at a ticket center.
You cannot book Unaccompanied Minor flights online at American Airlines.
To book the Unaccompanied Minor service by phone, call +1-844-902-2949 now.
American Airlines Policy on Unaccompanied Minors
Check-in and documents
American Airlines policy on Unaccompanied Minors requires that the parent/legal guardian fill out an Unaccompanied Minor form before travelling, plus the required Customs and Immigration documents. Your child must keep the Unaccompanied Minor form throughout the journey. When checking in, you (i.e., the parent or adult legal guardian) will be asked to provide the following documents:
- Passport or birth certificate
- At departure airport, the parent’s or guardian’s:
- Government-issued photo ID with current address
- Phone number
- At arrival airport, the parent’s or guardian’s:
- Name, current address, and phone number
Boarding and takeoff
American Airlines policy on Unaccompanied Minors requires that:
- You (i.e., the parent or adult legal guardian) must accompany your child to the departure gate and stay there till the flight takes off.
- You must inform the gate agent that your child will be traveling on the flight as an Unaccompanied Minor.
- An American Airlines staff member will board your child early.
- Your child will be introduced to the crew members who will inform him/her of the aircraft’s safety features.
- The gate agent will inform the you when the flight takes off.
- After the flight takes off, you must inform the adult who will be picking up your child that the flight has taken off.
During the trip
- Your child will be checked by a crewmember from time to time.
- Your child will be escorted to the gate after landing.
Arrival and pick-up
The person designated to meet your child at the airport must:
- Reach the airport before your child’s flight lands.
- Bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Obtain a security pass (after showing the photo ID) for meeting your child at the gate.
Regional Regulations for Minors Travelling Alone
If you child is travelling alone (or with a guardian) to Mexico, Spain, Brazil, Italy, and a few other countries, you will be required to comply with additional regulations. So do check before the travel date what the regulations are—including the health requirements.
For booking the Unaccompanied Minor service by phone, call +1-844-902-2949.
How Much Does American Airlines Charge for Unaccompanied Minors
Unaccompanied Minors fee
The service fee charged by American Airlines for Unaccompanied Minors—in addition to the price of an adult ticket—is USD 150—plus tax. The fee covers siblings traveling on the same flight but does not cover meals during a layover or snack purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions on American Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy
Submit your review