Copa Airlines offers a variety of upgrade options for travelers looking to enhance their flight experience. With a Copa Airlines upgrade, you can enjoy the additional benefits of Business Class, such as more legroom and space, priority check-in and boarding, more baggage allowance, access to airport lounges, and more.
Copa Airlines offers passengers several ways to upgrade from Economy to Business Class. You can upgrade your flight with your frequent flyer miles, purchase an upgrade at the time of booking or later, or bid for an upgrade at a price of your choice.
How to Upgrade Copa Airlines?
If you’re looking to upgrade your travel experience on Copa Airlines, there are a few options available to you.
- The first option is to use your frequent flyer miles to upgrade your seat. You can do this online by logging into your ConnectMiles account and selecting the upgrade option for your flight. Alternatively, you can do it over the phone by calling Copa Airlines or your travel agent.
- The second option is to pay for an upgrade at the time of booking or check-in.
- The third option is to bid for an upgrade by entering whatever amount you are willing to pay for your trip.
If you have elite status with Copa Airlines ConnectMiles program, you will automatically be eligible for complimentary upgrades, depending on your membership status and seat availability, as explained later.
Copa Airlines Business Class Upgrade
A Copa Airlines upgrade to Business Class offers a range of benefits that can make your travel experience more comfortable, convenient, and enjoyable. As a Business Class passenger, you will have access to priority check-in and boarding, which means less time waiting in lines and more time relaxing in a Copa Club or VIP lounge (free access) or on the plane. Once onboard, you’ll enjoy spacious seats with extra legroom and reclining seats, as well as premium dining options and complimentary drinks.
You’ll also have access to personal entertainment screens with a wide selection of movies, TV shows, and music. For those who need to work while traveling, Business Class also provides power outlets and USB ports for charging devices. Additionally, Copa Airlines Business Class passengers receive extra baggage allowance. All these perks combined make upgrading to Copa Airlines Business Class a smart choice for those looking to enhance their travel experience.
How to upgrade to Business Class on Copa?
After you’ve purchased an Economy Class ticket, you can upgrade to Business Class in the following ways:
- Upgrade online via CopaAir.com, or through a sales office or a call center.
- Get a complimentary upgrade for yourself and your companions if you’re a PreferMember.
- Use your Upgrade Certificate/Voucher to upgrade if you’re a Platinum or Presidential level member.
- Purchase a Business Class upgrade using the FlyUp upgrade program.
- Purchase an Economy Class ticket and use your miles to upgrade to Business Class.
Copa Airlines First Class Upgrade
Copa Airlines doesn’t have First Class, but it offers a first-class experience to its passengers. The airline’s “first-class” cabin is called Copa Business Class, which provides passengers with a luxurious and comfortable travel experience. Passengers in this class can enjoy priority check-in, lounge access, larger and more comfortable seats with more legroom, gourmet meals, and a wide range of entertainment options.
The Copa Business Class also offers additional perks such as extra baggage allowance and priority boarding.
Types of Mileage Upgrades
Copa Airlines offers 4 types of mileage upgrades for frequent flyers, which include:
- Complimentary Upgrades, granted to PreferMembers subject to seat availability.
- Upgrades with miles, that all frequent flyers can purchase if they have enough miles.
- Upgrade vouchers/certificates, that all Platinum and Presidential level members can use to upgrade their seats.
- MAX 9 Upgrades, that loyal members can use when flying to or from dedicated, long-haul MAX9 routes.
When upgrading your ticket, you must have enough miles in your account to cover the upgrade. You must also check if there are any available seats in the higher cabin class (Business Class) you wish to upgrade to. If seats are available, you can request the upgrade and pay with miles, or certificates/vouchers, or even receive a complimentary upgrade if you’re a PreferMember.
Complimentary Upgrades are automatically processed for PreferMembers if space is available on Copa Airlines-/Copa Airlines Colombia-operated flights.
Eligibility. PreferMembers will only be entitled to a Complimentary Upgrade when:
- They are traveling alone on a reservation.
- They have provided their ConnectMiles number on the reservation.
- Space is available in Business Class.
Aside from complimentary upgrades, PreferMembers traveling on Economy Full tickets may qualify for complimentary upgrades starting 6 days (144 hours) before departure if seats are available. The time and date of the complimentary upgrade will depend on the fare family and membership status of the PreferMember.
Companions Upgrade. Companions Upgrade on Copa is a program that allows PreferMembers to upgrade their travel experience by bringing a companion with them on their flight. This program offers a variety of perks and benefits, such as priority check-in, access to airport lounges, and other exclusive amenities that are not available to regular passengers
To avail of the benefit, the PreferMember must designate the companion at the airport while checking in, after which the companion will be added to the upgrade standby list.
- The PreferMember must be eligible for the requested upgrade.
- The companion must travel on a regular cash ticket and not a ticket purchased with miles.
- Companion upgrades are subject to availability.
- Only a single companion can be designated for each flight segment.
Starting January 15, 2021, Presidential PreferMembers will also be eligible for complimentary upgrades when flying on redemption tickets in Economy Saver and Economy Standard. Such upgrades will be provided starting 24 hours before flight departure after the upgrades for non-redemption tickets have been completed.
Also, Platinum and Gold PreferMembers flying on Economy Standard Class 3 redemption tickets will be entitled to this benefit. The complimentary upgrades will also be granted 24 hours before departure after the upgrades for non-redemption tickets for PreferMembers and redemption tickets for PreferMembers have been completed.
- Always verify the fare class of your miles ticket to ensure that your ticket qualifies for a complimentary upgrade.
- Companion Upgrades are subject to availability on fare class Z, meaning that they are not necessarily dependent on the actual Business Class capacity.
- The award miles (as well as qualifying miles and segments) will be based on the original ticket’s fare class, and not on the upgraded class.
Upgrades with Miles
After you’ve purchased an Economy Class ticket, you can use your miles to place an upgrade request for Business Class on all Copa-/Copa Colombia-operated flights. The ConnectMiles Upgrade Award program requires a co-pay and miles, based on your travel region. For the exact upgrade cost details, call Copa Airlines.
Upgrading on Star Alliance Airlines. ConnectMiles members can use their miles to place a cabin upgrade request on select flights with Star Alliance network partners. Star Alliance Upgrade Awards (SAUA) are only available for upgrades to the next-higher cabin per flight segment and only on participating carriers operated and marketed by the same airline.
Star Alliance flight upgrades are not guaranteed as they depend on each carrier’s availability. For more information, refer to the Star Alliance Upgrade Chart.
Eligible Booking Classes on Star Alliance Airlines
|Operating Carrier||From Economy to Business Class||From Business to First Class|
|Air Canada||Y, B, O||–|
|Air India||Y, B||C, D|
|Air New Zealand||U, E, O, Y, B||–|
|Air China||G, Y, B||J, C, D|
|Asiana Airlines||Y, B||C, D|
|Austrian||Y, B, G, E||–|
|ANA||Y, B, E, G||C, Z, J, D|
|Brussels Airlines||Y, B||–|
|Croatia Airlines||Y, B||–|
|Eva Air||K, Y, B||–|
|Ethiopian||Y, G, S, B||–|
|EgyptAir||Y, B||C, D|
|Lufthansa||Y, B||G, E|
|LOT Polish Airlines||Y, B||–|
|Singapore Airlines||Aircraft with Premium Economy Cabin: S, T, PAircraft with no Premium Economy Cabin: Y, B||U, C, J, Z|
|South African Airways||Domestic: Y, B, MInternational: Y, B||–|
|Shenzhen Airlines||Y, B, M, H||–|
|Scandinavian Airline||Y, B, S||–|
|Swiss||Y, B||J, C|
|Thai||Y, B||C, D|
|Turkish Airlines||Y, B, M, A, H, S||–|
|TAP Portugal||Y, B||–|
|United Airlines||B, M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, W, E, L, T, G, N, Y, O, R||–|
– Upgrades only apply to participating airlines on Star Alliance.
– Codeshare flights do not qualify for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards.
– Discounted agency tickets, industry tickets, and award tickets do not qualify for upgrades on Copa and Star Alliance Airlines.
– Some carriers may impose Blackout periods.
– Upgrades must be requested up to 24 hours before departure.
– Star Alliance Upgrade Awards can only be requested for a maximum of 4 passengers per booking.
– Your miles will be deducted from your account at the time of booking.
– Standbys and Waitlisting are not permitted.
– Your mileage accrual will be based on your originally booked ticket and not the upgraded ticket.
– You must contact the operating carrier directly for any flight-related request, incl. changes and cancelations.
– Upgrade requests for canceled flight segments will be automatically canceled and the miles redeposited post-cancelation.
– Group reservations don’t qualify for upgrades.
– All upgrades are subject to availability on class Z and not tied to Business Class capacity.
– Award miles and qualifying miles and segments will be based on the original ticket and not the upgraded ticket.
PreferMembers (Platinum and Presidential) are entitled to 2 exclusive types of ConnectMiles upgrade certificates—Connect Regional and Connect Global. They can use both to request an upgrade after purchasing their tickets.
Upgrades requested with certificates/vouchers are subject to availability in fare class Z at the time of the request.
Connect Regional Upgrades
PreferMembers (Platinum and Presidential) are entitled to 3 Connect Regional Upgrade Certificates upon achieving such status. Such upgrades are valid on all Copa-operated flights, as well as United-operated flights in the following regions:
|Connect Regional Upgrade Regions|
|Caribe||Oceania||Central America||North America|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||Western Samoa||Panama||Mainland U.S.|
|Turks and Caicos||Vanuatu||Nicaragua||Canada|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Tonga||Honduras||Alaska|
|St. Maarten||Papua New Guinea||Guatemala||Hawaiian Islands|
|St. Lucia||Palau||El Salvador|
|Puerto Rico||Northern Mariana Islands||Costa Rica|
|St. Kitts-Neus||New Caledonia||Belize|
|Guadalupe||Federated States of Micronesia|
|Dominican Republic||American Samoa|
|British Virgin Islands|
Connect Global Upgrades
ConnectMiles PreferMember Presidential level members are entitled to 6 Connect Global upgrades, which are valid on all flights operated by Copa and United Airlines. Connect Global Certificates are issued from the day the status is assigned till the end of the validity period.
You can request a Connect Global Upgrade online through the My Upgrades section (be sure to enter your ConnectMiles account number) or by calling a Copa Service Center. However, before requesting an upgrade, you must have already purchased your ticket.
Points to Remember
- Upgrade certificates must be used within the validity period and cannot be carried forward.
- Upgrade requests must be made at least 24 hours before departure.
- Upgrades are subject to seat availability in fare class Z and are not dependent on actual capacity in Business Class.
- Award and qualifying miles, as well as qualifying segments, will accrue based on the original ticket and not the upgraded ticket and may be subject to additional restrictions.
- Promotion certificates apply only to one segment. Multiple certificates will be needed for complete itineraries.
- Award tickets qualify for both types of upgrades: Connect Regional and Connect Global.
- Connect Regional Upgrades are not valid for the following fare classes on United Airlines-operated flights: F, I, X, P, and Z.
- Connect Regional and Global Upgrade Certificates are not valid for group bookings.
- Certificates cannot be refunded post-request.
- Certificates can only be refunded during their validity period for flight affectations caused by Copa Airlines.
- Post refund, the validity period of a certificate will remain the same as that of the original certificate.
- Certificates can only be applied to flights with a travel date that is within the certificate’s validity period.
Complimentary MAX9 Upgrades on Copa Airlines are available to passengers who hold PreferMember status in the ConnectMiles loyalty program. These upgrades allow travelers to enjoy a more luxurious experience on Dreams Business Class on select long-haul flights.
MAX9 complimentary upgrades are automatically processed if space is available for PreferMembers on any eligible flight that is operated by Copa Airlines and Copa Airlines Colombia.
PreferMembers who purchase the following types of tickets are eligible for an upgrade to Dream Business Class:
– MAX9 Upgrades are subject to availability and confirmed 24-48 hours prior to departure.
– Presidential level PreferMembers traveling on Economy Class with miles-purchased tickets on Standard Award (G Class) may qualify for complimentary upgrades after the processing of regular tickets if any are available.
– You must verify the fare class of your miles ticket to ensure that your ticket qualifies for a complimentary upgrade.
– PreferMembers are entitled to make free seat selections in the Economy Extra section, which offers more legroom, 10in touchscreens, 2 alternating AC outputs per row, a USB input, and priority boarding.
How to Make a Mileage Upgrade to Dreams Business Class?
If you’re a ConnectMiles member, you can redeem your miles for an upgrade to Dream Business Class online through the website or by calling a Copa Airlines Service Center.
Upgrade Certificates for Dreams Business Class
Presidential and Platinum level members can use their Regional and Global Certificates to upgrade to Dream Business Class from any travel class. Such upgrades can be requested at the time of booking, depending on seat availability.
How to request a MAX9 upgrade?
To request a MAX9 upgrade, you must log in to your ConnectMiles account and request an upgrade from the My Upgrades section. Alternatively, you can call Copa’s Service Center to request an upgrade. Before requesting an upgrade, your ticket should already have been issued. Plus, you must make your upgrade request at least 24 hours before departure.
- Upgrades must be requested at least 24 hours before departure.
- Upgrades are subject to seat availability in class Z and not always based on Business Class capacity.
- The accrual of award miles, qualifying miles, and qualifying segments will be based on the originally booked fare and not the upgraded fare and may be subject to additional restrictions.
- Upgrade certificates on MAX9 routes can only be applied to one flight segment. For complete itineraries, multiple certificates will be required.
- Award tickets qualify for both Connect Regional and Connect Global Upgrades.
- Upgrade certificates on MAX9 routes cannot be applied to passengers traveling on group reservations.
- Upgrade certificates on MAX 9 routes can be refunded only in case of flight changes and cancelations.
Companions Upgrade for Dreams Business Class
The Companions Upgrade option allows PreferMembers to purchase an additional ticket for their companion at a reduced rate, giving them access to all the benefits of Dreams Business Class.
To avail of the benefit, the PreferMember must designate a travel companion at the airport when checking in for the flight. The travel companion will then be added to the upgrade standby list.
- The PreferMember passenger should be eligible for an upgrade.
- Travel companions will only be eligible for upgrades when traveling on regular tickets, and not on tickets purchased with miles.
- Companion upgrades are subject to availability.
- Only one travel companion can be designated for a flight segment.
Terms & Conditions
- Upgrades will depend on availability in fare class Z and not based on Business Class capacity.
- The earning of award miles as well as qualifying miles and segments will be based on the original fare class and not the upgraded fare class and may be subject to additional restrictions.
- The upgrade policy only applies to:
- Flights originating/arriving in Panama (PTY) to/from dedicated MAX9 routes.
- Flights operated on Boeing 737 Max9 aircraft for select routes. However, the type of aircraft may change at any time, in which case the MAX9 upgrade policy will be replaced by the upgrade policy applicable to other aircraft types operated by Copa.
Copa Airlines Upgrade Bid
The Copa Airlines Upgrade Bid service offers a convenient and easy way for you to bid on an upgrade to Business Class. It allows you to submit an offer for an upgrade from Economy to Business Class within a pre-defined price range, with the highest bidder receiving the upgrade.
If your upgrade bid is accepted (i.e., if it is the highest among all bids), you will be notified before your flight, after which you can enjoy all the perks of Business Class, including priority boarding, extra legroom, additional baggage allowance, premium dining options, and more.
How to make a Copa Airlines upgrade offer
To make an upgrade bid offer, follow the steps outlined below.
- Go to the home page, CopaAir.com (or Copa.com)
- Click on Complement your trip and select Request an upgrade
- Provide your reservation number and last name in the boxes
- Make your offer
- Enter your payment details
- Enter an offer amount for each trip segment
- Complete your credit card information in USD (only Visa or Mastercard)
- Review the information provided by you
- Submit your offer
- You will receive a confirmation email acknowledging that your upgrade offer has been received (you can use the links provided in the email to modify or cancel your bid)
FlyUp Business Class Upgrade Program
The FlyUp Business Class Upgrade Program is a service offered by some airlines (incl. Copa) that allows you to upgrade your seat from Economy to Business Class for an additional fee. It provides you the opportunity to enjoy all the benefits of Business Class travel, such as more comfortable seats, priority boarding, extra legroom, premium in-flight meals and beverages, more baggage allowance, and access to the Copa Club. It’s a great option to upgrade without having to pay the full price of a Business Class ticket (in most cases),
You can upgrade to Business Class with FlyUp in 2 ways:
- Post a bid for an adjustable amount
- Purchase immediately at a fixed price
How the FlyUp Business Class Upgrade Program Work on Copa Airlines?
If your flight has Business Class seats available and after complimentary upgrades have been offered to PreferMembers, the FlyUp Business Class Upgrade Program will work automatically as follows:
- Choose the amount you’re willing to pay to get promoted. If the amount bid by you is accepted (only the highest bids are accepted), you will receive a confirmation email 48 to 12 hours before your flight’s departure informing you that you have been upgraded.
- You can choose the Instant Upgrade to immediately purchase an upgrade, in which case you will receive a confirmation within 24 hours after the purchase, informing you that the upgrade has been granted.
- You can then purchase the upgrade online through the website or at the airport on the day of your flight’s departure, but subject to the availability of seats in Business Class.
From where can I purchase a FlyUp Business Class upgrade?
After buying your ticket, you can purchase a FlyUp Business Class upgrade:
- Online through CopaAir.com
(access your flight via Book Your Trip after entering your reservation code and surname)
- Through Copa Airlines’ promotions page
- From Copa Airlines’ FlyUp promotional email
- At the airport on the day of your flight
FlyUp Eligibility Requirements
To participate in the FlyUp program:
- You should hold a valid Copa Airlines ticket
- Your ticket should be an Economy Class ticket
- Your email address must be registered in your flight booking
- You should not be a ConnectMiles PreferMember
- You must be at least 18 years old
The following tickets do not qualify for a Business Class upgrade with FlyUp on Copa:
- Promotional fare tickets
- Employee and/or sponsorship tickets
- Mileage upgrade tickets
- Tickets that include infants and children
- Tickets purchased within 24 hours of departure
- Tickets with pet reservations
Cost of participating in the FlyUp Business Class Upgrade program
It won’t cost you anything to participate in the FlyUp program to select a promotion. However, if you do get the promotion, you will be required to pay the amount offered for the promotion, along with applicable taxes, if any.
Frequently Asked Questions on Copa Airlines Upgrade
Whether you’re looking to enjoy more comfortable seating, extra legroom, or other premium amenities, upgrading your Copa Airlines flight is a great way to enhance your travel experience. We understand that there may be many questions surrounding this process. So do refer to the FAQs below to find the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions on Copa Airlines Upgrade.
You can upgrade most types of tickets on Copa Airlines. However, certain types of tickets cannot be upgraded. These include Basic Economy tickets, award tickets booked through frequent flyer programs, and some promotional or discounted fares. Upgrades may also not be available for flights operated by partner airlines.
It’s always a good idea to check the specific terms and conditions of your ticket before attempting to upgrade, as rules and restrictions can vary depending on the fare class and route.
Copa Airlines offers complimentary upgrades to frequent flyers who have earned Elite status, i.e., PreferMembers on the following conditions:
– They must be flying alone
– They must provide their ConnectMiles number on the flight booking
– There is space available on Business Class
Yes, Copa Airlines lets you bid on upgrades to Business Class through its Upgrade Bid program, unless you’ve purchased a Basic Economy fare, an award ticket, or a discounted or promotional fare.
If you’ve already purchased a full Economy Class ticket, you can bid on available Business Class seats through the airline’s bidding system. If you submit a bid and your offer is accepted, you will be notified by email at least 24 hours prior to departure. This program is a great way for you to potentially get the benefits of Business Class at a lower cost.
If you’re a United Mileage Plus member looking to upgrade to Copa Airlines Business Class, it’s important to know the steps involved. First, make sure that your flight is eligible for an upgrade. You can do this by checking the fare class of your ticket and ensuring that there is availability in Business Class. Next, log in to your United Mileage Plus account and navigate to the Upgrade section. Here, you can select your flight and choose the type of upgrade you would like to apply for.
Once you have confirmed your selection, be sure to deduct the miles from your account and pay the applicable fee, if any. After completing these steps, wait for confirmation of your upgrade status. Keep in mind that upgrades are subject to availability and may not always be possible.
Yes, you can pay for your Business Class upgrade directly at the airport if:
• Upgrades are available on your flight, and
• You show up at least 2 hours before your flight’s departure, and
• You request for the upgrade, and
• You pay the upgrade fee/charges in USD
Yes, you will be entitled to all the benefits of a Business Class ticket, except meals. The benefits you’ll be entitled to include:
• Special airport counters and boarding gates
• Priority baggage handling
• Personalized attention and privacy on select flights, such as:
◦ 10-seater Embraer 190s
◦ 12-seater Boeing 737-700s
◦ 16-seater Boeing 737-800s
• Access to Copa Clubs, United Clubs, and VIP lounges anywhere in the world
• Business Class baggage allowance
• Business Class seats
No, you cannot refund a Copa Airlines upgrade at the airport unless your flight is canceled or changed, or there’s a change of aircraft, etc.