If you’ve booked a ticket on Delta and want to cancel it, you must know the provisions of the Delta Airlines cancellation policy. This page will clear your doubts on Delta Airlines flight cancellation policy and the conditions under which you can qualify for full refunds. Go through the sections below to learn about Delta’s cancellation fees, cancellation process, and how to avoid paying cancellation fees.
Conditions for Full Refund
Can I cancel my Delta flight and get a refund?
The Delta Airlines cancellation policy allows you to cancel your ticket and claim a 100% refund if:
- You purchase your ticket (any type) directly from Delta and cancel it within 24 hours.
- Delta cancels your flight.
- Delta delays your flight by more than 90 minutes.
- You’ve purchased a refundable fare.
- The passenger/travel companion dies and you can prove it.
- You’re a Delta Platinum or Diamond Medallion member holding an award ticket.
- You receive a sudden military deployment order (subject to documentary proof).
- Any special circumstances that prevent you from catching your flight—but solely at Delta’s discretion.
- Your Delta Airlines ticket (except Basic Economy) falls under the no-cancellation fee policy:
- You purchased your ticket after August 31, 2020, for travelling within the United States, Puerto Rico, or USVI.
- Your flight (incl. joint venture and codeshare partner flights) originates from North America to anywhere and you purchased your ticket after December 9, 2020.
- Your flight is between the Caribbean and the United States/Mexico.
Delta 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
Delta Airlines’ 24-hour risk-free flight cancellation policy applies to all tickets purchased directly from Delta Airlines. Under this policy, you can cancel any flight booking within 24 hours—regardless of your fare type.
Exceptions to the 24-hour cancellation policy
Delta’s 24-hour cancellation policy does not apply to:
- Tickets booked from travel agencies
- Paper tickets
- Partially-flown reissued tickets
To cancel a SkyMiles Award ticket, you must contact Delta Reservations.
Delta Airlines COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
What is Delta Airlines’ cancellation policy in response to COVID-19?
Delta Airlines’ cancellation policy offers additional relaxation to passengers during the COVID-19 travel waiver period, which expires on April 30, 2021.
- If you purchased your ticket on or before April 30, 2021:
- You can cancel your flight before departure.
- You must travel anytime up to December 31, 2022.
- After you cancel your flight, you will receive an eCredit for the full value of your ticket.
- You must use your eCredit to rebook your new flight by December 31, 2022.
- If you don’t rebook your new flight and travel by December 31, 2022, your eCredit will expire.
- If you purchased a Basic Economy ticket after April 30, 2021, with a travel date till December 31, 2021 (included):
- You can make changes to your flight without paying a flight change fee.
- You cannot cancel your flight.
- Delta’s temporary 2021 Basic Economy Changeability Waiver policy will apply to your ticket.
Note. If you purchased a Basic Economy ticket after April 30, 2021, with a travel date in 2022, you cannot cancel, refund, or change your ticket outside of the 24-hour cancellation window.
- The change fee and award redeposit fee has been eliminated for tickets purchased in 2021 for flights that originate from North America and the Caribbean (incl. Basic Economy fares purchased after April 30, 2021, as long as the new travel date is through December 31, 2021). This means you can cancel your award ticket and rebook it later without having to pay any change fee.
- The change and cancellation fee for award tickets has been waived for travel within the U.S., provided you change or cancel prior to departure. If you cancel an award ticket that expired in 2021, you can now use its unused value for purchasing a new ticket by December 31, 2022 (only the fare difference, if any, will apply).
Note. if you cancel a ticket under the COVID-19 travel waiver, you will not be entitled to a full cash or credit card refund—you will get a Delta credit for future use.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy for Medical Reasons
Delta Airlines cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight booking for medical reasons. This policy applies to passengers who suddenly fall ill before their flight and are unable to travel as a result. However, you must be able to support your reason for cancellation with valid documentation (i.e., a medical certificate), and you must cancel your flight before it departs.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy due to Weather
Under Delta Airlines ticket cancellation policy, if your flight is cancelled due to extreme weather conditions, you are allowed to cancel the flight (or the one offered in its place) and get a full refund.
Delta Airlines Military Cancellation Policy
Delta Airlines military cancellation policy applies to military personnel travelling on Delta Airlines. Under this policy, if military personnel receive a deployment order that prevents them from catching their flight, they are allowed to cancel the flight and receive a full refund.
Delta Airlines Award Ticket Cancellation Policy
Under Delta Airlines award ticket cancellation policy, if you cancel an award ticket outside the 24-hour risk-free window, you are entitled to a full refund of your SkyMiles to your Delta Airlines account. This applies to any award ticket cancelled in 2021. In normal circumstances, you would be charged a fee of USD 150 for redepositing your miles.
Note. Delta award tickets must be cancelled (or changed) at least 72 hours prior to departure. Cancellations and changes made within 72 hours of your flight will result in the forfeiture of your SkyMiles.
Delta Airlines flight cancellation policy will depend on what type of ticket you’ve purchased and when you cancel it. Ticket types include:
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy by Fare Type
- Basic Economy tickets, which are the most restrictive.
- Non-refundable tickets, which have some restrictions.
- Refundable tickets, which are most flexible.
You must cancel your ticket before your flight’s departure. The table below presents a snapshot of Delta Airlines cancellation policy by fare type and cancellation period, along with the cancellation fees.
|Delta Airlines Cancellation Fees|
|Time Period||Basic Economy Tickets||Non-refundable Ticket Originating within North America||Non-refundable Ticket Originating outside of North America||Refundable/Flex Tickets|
|Within 24 hours of booking||Free of charge||Free of charge||Free of charge||Free of charge|
|After 24 hours of booking||Not allowed*||Free of charge||Cancellation fee: USD 200-500||Refundable|
|Within 24 hours of departure||Not allowed*||Free of charge||Cancellation fee: USD 200-500||Refundable|
|* Temporarily allowed if you purchased your ticket on/before April 30, 2021, as long as you cancel before departure and rebook and travel anytime up to December 31, 2022 (due to COVID-19 travel waivers). If you purchased after April 30, 2021, and your travel date is through December 31, 2021, you can make changes to your flight but not cancel it. But if you booked after April 30, 2021, and your travel date is in 2022, you are not allowed to cancel, refund, or change your ticket outside of the 24-hour cancellation window.|
How to Cancel a Flight on Delta Airlines
How does the cancellation policy for Delta Airlines allow me to cancel my flight?
The cancellation policy for Delta Airlines allows you to cancel your flight:
- By phone
- Call +1-844-903-1897 or the Delta office in your city/country
- Call the travel agent you purchased your ticket from
- Online or with the Fly Delta mobile app
- At a Delta Airlines sales counter
Online Cancellation Process
If you purchased your ticket directly from Delta (website, app, call center, or sales office), you can cancel your ticket online as explained below.
- Go to Delta.com
- Click on My Trips
- Select/enter your:
- Confirmation number, or
Credit/Debit card number, or
- First and last name
- Confirmation number, or
- Click on the search button 🡪
- Select the flight you want to cancel
- Click on Modify Flight
- Choose Start Flight Cancellation
- Complete the flight cancellation process
How to Cancel an Award Ticket
You can cancel a Delta award ticket by logging into your SkyMiles account, retrieving your reservation, clicking the Modify Flight button, and following the self-explanatory prompts to cancel your award ticket. It can take a couple of hours for your refunded Miles to show up in your account.
How to Avoid Delta Airlines Flight Change/Cancellation Charges
Follow the tips below to save on flight change fees at Delta:
- Use Delta’s 24-hour risk-free policy. The 24-hour DOT rule applies to all flights within the United States and allows you to cancel any flight within 24 hours of purchase.
- Buy a refundable fare. They’re costlier, but you won’t have to pay any change or cancellation fee if your plans change.
- Hold a Delta Medallion Elite status. Gold, Diamond, and Platinum Medallion members enjoy special fee waivers on award travels, typically costing USD 150.
- Keep an eye on flight schedule changes. You may qualify for a fee waiver or reduction for flight delays exceeding 2 hours, route changes, or flight cancellations. In such a scenario, you will receive an option to change or cancel your flight by email.
- Call Delta Airlines on +1-844-903-1897 (toll-free in the U.S./Canada) or in your city/country if you need advice on the best way out if you’re not sure what to do.
How Do I Get a Refund from Delta?
Whether you qualify for a refund depends on when you booked your ticket, your fare type, and how you purchased it. If you qualify for a refund under Delta’s refund policy, you will either receive it directly to your original form of payment or as an eCredit for future use.
- 24-hour refunds. If you cancel your ticket within the 24-hour window, you will automatically receive a refund issued to your original form of payment. You don’t have to do anything other than canceling your ticket.
- Refundable tickets. If you had purchased a refundable ticket, you must first cancel your ticket and then submit a Delta Refund Request. To qualify for a refund, you must have purchased your ticket by cash, check, or credit card. If you want a refund on an unused trip purchase, you must fill out a form for eCredit or refund. For details, refer to the section titled How to Initiate Your Refund Request on Delta below.
- Non-refundable tickets. Non-refundable tickets cannot be refunded. However, you may be eligible to receive an eCredit against the value of your ticket after a cancellation fee of USD 200 – 500 is deducted. However, if your flight originates within the United States, you will not be charged a cancellation fee. You will be able to use the eCredit for travel on any Delta flight.
If a family member or a co-passenger on your booking dies, you can ask Delta for a refund. You will, however, be required to provide proof to Delta’s refund department, such as a death certificate.
- Basic Economy tickets. Basic Economy tickets only qualify for refunds within the 24-hour window. If you don’t cancel within the risk-free 24-hour window, you will not be entitled to any refund unless your ticket falls under a COVID-19 travel waiver as described in the sections above.
How to Initiate Your Refund Request on Delta
How do I get a refund from Delta?
If you’re requesting a refund within 24 hours, you can cancel your ticket and request a full refund online via Delta.com.
- Go to the Delta.com
- Log in if you have a Delta account and select Find My Trips
If you don’t have a Delta account, select My Trips
- Select your trip and click on the Cancel Flight button
- Follow the prompts to submit a Delta refund request
If you’re requesting a refund after 24 hours, i.e., after your risk-free cancellation period is over, you must follow a different channel to make a refund request, as shown below.
A screenshot of Delta’s online Cancel Flight and Request Refund form
- If you want to cancel your flight, use this online form and click on the Cancel Flight button to apply for an eCredit.
- If your flight was delayed or cancelled, or you received a service downgrade, and you want to cancel it and request a refund, use the same online form above, click on the Request Refund button, and fill out the Cancel and Refund Form that shows up on your screen.
When cancelling your ticket or applying for a refund, you must fill out the form(s) completely.
- After you fill out the form, your request will be processed by a Delta Airlines representative.
- It will typically take 7 business days to process domestic debit/credit card purchases but may take up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to reflect on your account statement.
- If you purchased your ticket with cash/check, your refund will be processed within 20 business days.
- If you qualify for an eCredit, the credit will be added to your Delta.com account will be accessible within 7 days through your ticket number.
- Your refund or eCredit will be issued according to the fare rules and waivers that apply to your ticket.
Alternative Option. You can also cancel over the phone by calling Delta Airlines on +1-844-903-1897. If you’re holding an award ticket, call this dedicated phone number +1-800-323-2323 and ask a representative to help you with your refund.
Tracking Your Delta Refund
A screenshot of Delta Airlines’ Check Refund Status page
You can track the status of your refund as follows:
- Go to the refund status page
- Enter your:
- First and last name
- Ticket/document number
- Refund request number (sent to you by email)
- Click on the Continue button
Your refund status will show up on the screen.
After you’ve initiated your refund request, it can take up to 7 business days for domestic refunds to be processed but up to 2 billing cycles n ,. to be reflected on your debit/credit card statement. Cash purchases can take up to 20 business days to be processed.
Frequently Asked Questions on Delta Cancellation Policy
Submit your review