What is the Lufthansa flight cancellation policy?
If your travel plans suddenly change, Lufthansa allows you to cancel your flight up to 24 hours before your journey. If you’re holding a fully refundable ticket (such as Business Flex), no cancellation charges will apply. If you’re holding a non-refundable ticket, the Lufthansa flight cancellation policy will not permit cancellations.
However, in some situations, even non-refundable tickets qualify for a full refund, i.e., you can cancel a non-refundable ticket and receive a full refund. The conditions under which a full refund is permitted are listed below.
- Cancellations within 24 hours of booking for flights departing after 7 days or more qualify for a full refund and apply to all types of fares.
- Flights cancelled by Lufthansa qualify for a full refund.
- Flight delays qualify for a full refund if the flight is delayed by:
- More than 2 hours if triggered by an irregularity more than 1 day before departure.
- More than 5 hours if triggered by an irregularity on the day of departure.
- Refundable tickets qualify for a refund.
- Flights or trips impacted by COVID-19 qualify for a full refund (no longer effective after June 1, 2022).
- Boarding denials on confirmed reservations qualify for a full refund.
- Flight cancellations due to special circumstances that prevent a passenger from catching a flight may qualify for a full refund—such as the death or serious illness—subject to documentary evidence and Lufthansa agreeing to it.
The Lufthansa flight ticket cancellation policy states that in all other scenarios, you will be charged a cancellation fee, subject to the fare conditions on your ticket.
Lufthansa 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
What is the Lufthansa cancellation policy for 24-hour cancellations?
Lufthansa Airlines’ 24-hour cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight and get a full refund if:
- You cancel within 24 hours of purchasing, and
- Your flight’s departure date is at least 7 days later
Lufthansa’s 24-hour cancellation policy is valid for all kinds of tickets—including non-refundable fares. Remember, to qualify for a refund, you must meet both the conditions stated above, i.e., cancel your flight within 1 day (24 hours) of booking and your departure date must be at least 7 days ahead. If you don’t meet both these conditions, you may not qualify for a full refund.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy for COVID
What is the Lufthansa COVID policy in 2022?
Under the Lufthansa cancellation policy in response to coronavirus, if your flight was cancelled due to COVID-19, you are entitled to a full refund. If you haven’t applied for a refund yet, you can apply via this link.
Note. Lufthansa’s goodwill arrangements during the COVID-19 period expired on June 1, 2022, so the regular fare conditions (incl. the standard Lufthansa cancellation policy) will apply again.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Due to Death or Serious Illness
Under the Lufthansa cancellation policy, if you are unable to catch a flight because you suddenly fall ill or a close relative dies, you are allowed to change your travel date until you are in a position to travel again. However, a cancellation may not be permitted.
Lufthansa Cancellations—Other Conditions
What other conditions of the Lufthansa cancellation policy must I be award of?
According to the airline’s flight cancellation policy:
- Lufthansa cancellations can be made by phone, online, or physically at a ticket office.
- Lufthansa Airlines cancellations can be made online through the website even if you’ve purchased your ticket from a travel agency or a website.
- You must cancel your Lufthansa Airlines flight within the prescribed timeline to be eligible for a refund.
- If Lufthansa cancelled your flight and you want a refund, you must submit an online refund request for your refund to be processed. However, if you have purchased your ticket from a third party, you must contact them directly for a refund.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
The cancellation fees range from USD 300 – 750 per passenger for travel from the United States, depending on your travel class.
- Economy Class cancellation fees
- Economy Saver and Economy Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- Economy Basic Plus I fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 300.
- Economy Flex II fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
- Premium Economy cancellation fees
- Premium Economy Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- Premium Economy Basic Plus II fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 500.
- Premium Economy Flex fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
- Business Class cancellation fees
- Business Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- Business Basic Plus II fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 500.
- Business Flex fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
- First Class cancellation fees
- First Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- First Basic Plus fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 500.
- First Basic Plus II fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 750.
- First Flex fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Non-Refundable Tickets
What is the airline’s flight cancellation fee for non-refundable tickets?
The Lufthansa cancellation fee for non-refundable tickets will depend on when you cancel your ticket—within 24 hours of booking or after.
|Cancellations within 24 hours of ticket booking||Cancellations after 24 hours of ticket booking|
|You will not be charged a cancellation fee if you cancel a non-refundable ticket less than 24 hours after purchasing it and your flight departs after 7 days or more.||If you cancel a non-refundable ticket after the risk-free window (above), most of your fare will be forfeited—except government taxes.|
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Secure your fare Options
If you reserve a flight with the Secure you fare option and take no action within 48 hours, you will be charged a one-off fee of EUR 30/~USD 39, even if your booking included several passengers.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets
If you cancel an award ticket, you will be charged a cancellation fee of ~USD 60/ EUR 50.
How to Cancel Lufthansa Flight Booking
You can cancel your Lufthansa flight booking by phone (+1-866-399-0587), online, through a ticket office or travel agent.
Online Cancellation Process
A screenshot of the My Bookings tab used for cancelling a fligh online at Lufthansa
You can cancel your Lufthansa flight booking online up to 1 day before departure as explained below:
- Go to Lufthansa.com
- Click on the My Bookings tab
(lower part of your screen)
- Enter the following information:
- Your first name
- Your last name
- Your booking code
- Click on the Find Bookings button
(all refundable bookings will appear in your booking summary)
- Select the booking you want to cancel and click on the Cancellation button
- Confirm your cancellation
You can also cancel your Lufthansa flight(s) from the mobile app.
After you cancel your Lufthansa flight booking:
- Lufthansa will send you a confirmation mail
- Your flight will be cancelled
- The refundable amount will be automatically credited to your credit card or bank account (i.e., the account that you used to purchase your ticket)
- If an online refund is no longer possible, call a Lufthansa Service Center in your area and ask for a refund.
- If Lufthansa canceled your flight, you will must fill out the Refund Form to get a refund.
- If you purchased your ticket from a travel agency, contact them directly for a refund.
Lufthansa Refund Policy
Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund highlights
The Lufthansa refund policy entitles you to a full refund if:
- You cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking and your flight’s departure is at least 7 days away.
- Lufthansa cancels your flight.
- Lufthansa delays your flight by more than 2 hours due to an irregularity at least 1 day before departure, or by more than 5 hours due to an irregularity on the day of your travel.
- You have a refundable ticket and you cancel before departure.
- Lufthansa cancelled your flight due to COVID-19.
- You had a confirmed booking but were denied boarding.
- You could not catch your flight due to a sudden illness, or the death of a close family member and can prove it.
What else should I know about Lufthansa flight cancellations and refund?
Other important things you should know about Lufthansa Airlines refund policy are as follows:
- Per Lufthansa’s refund policy, eligible tickets will be refunded within 7 days if purchased by credit card and within 20 days if purchased by cash or check. However, due to a heavy backlog, the refunds might take longer.
- If your flight was cancelled by Lufthansa and you want a refund, you must fill out a refund form for the refund to be processed.
- All refunds will be made to the original form of payment, i.e., payments made by credit card will be returned to the credit card account, and so on.
- A completely unused tickets that qualifies for a full refund will be fully refunded along with taxes and fees.
- If you have used a part of your ticket’s itinerary, the unused portion of the ticket’s value will be refunded, along with taxes and fees.
- If you have requested for a refund by phone, email, or online, do not resubmit your request or it will delay your refund.
Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Numbers
Below are a few important booking and cancellation phone numbers at Lufthansa.
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation USA +1-866-399-0587 (toll-free, open 24/7)
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Canada +1-866-399-0587 (toll-free, open 24/7)
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Germany +49 (0) 69 86 799 799
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation U.K. +44 371 945 9747
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Australia +61 1300 655 727
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation India 1800 102 5838
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation South Africa 0861 842538
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Jamaica +1 800 – 581 64 00
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation Singapore +65 6 2455 600
- Lufthansa Booking/Cancellation UAE +971 600595556
- Miles & More Service Center, USA +1-800-581-6400 (8:00am to 10:30pm, all days)
- Twitter @Lufthansa_USA
Lufthansa Customer Service (U.S.) +1 800-645-3880
Frequently Asked Questions on Lufthansa Cancellation Policy
Submit your review
I was declared Positive a day before departure and hence want full refund or reschedule my flight at the earliest if full refund cannot be given to us.
We had two Premium return tickets to India.
Thanks for your consideration n favourable decision.
I would have given no stars if I could rubbish cancellation policy . Cancelled flights have ended up costing me £1270. For absolutely no service at all. Definitely will not be using them again .
If i purchased an economy flex fully refundable, then why is the paid seats not refunded? While doing the cancellation, the page said that it will automatically refund the seats but when the email was received that flight was cancelled, the seat amount was not refunded?