If your travel plans suddenly change, Lufthansa allows you to cancel your flight up to 24 hours before your journey. If you’re holding a fully refundable ticket (such as Business Flex), no cancellation charges will apply. If you’re holding a non-refundable ticket, the Lufthansa cancellation policy will not permit cancellations.
However, in some situations, even non-refundable tickets qualify for a full refund, i.e., you can cancel a non-refundable ticket and receive a full refund. The conditions under which a full refund is permitted are listed below.
- Cancellations within 24 hours of booking for flights departing after 7 days or more qualify for a full refund and apply to all types of fares.
- Flights cancelled by Lufthansa qualify for a full refund.
- Flight delays qualify for a full refund if the flight is delayed by:
- More than 2 hours if triggered by an irregularity more than 1 day before departure.
- More than 5 hours if triggered by an irregularity on the day of departure.
- Refundable tickets qualify for a refund.
- Flights or trips impacted by COVID-19 qualify for a full refund (no longer effective after June 1, 2022).
- Boarding denials on confirmed reservations qualify for a full refund.
- Flight cancellations due to special circumstances that prevent a passenger from catching a flight may qualify for a full refund—such as the death or serious illness—subject to documentary evidence and Lufthansa agreeing to it.
The Lufthansa flight ticket cancellation policy states that in all other scenarios, you will be charged a cancellation fee, subject to the fare conditions on your ticket.
Lufthansa 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
What is the Lufthansa cancellation policy for 24-hour cancellations?
Lufthansa Airlines’ 24-hour cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight and get a full refund if:
- You cancel within 24 hours of purchasing, and
- Your flight’s departure date is at least 7 days later
Lufthansa’s 24-hour cancellation policy is valid for all kinds of tickets—including non-refundable fares. Remember, to qualify for a refund, you must meet both the conditions stated above, i.e., cancel your flight within 1 day (24 hours) of booking and your departure date must be at least 7 days ahead. If you don’t meet both these conditions, you may not qualify for a full refund.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy for COVID
What is the Lufthansa COVID policy in 2022?
Under the Lufthansa cancellation policy in response to coronavirus, if your flight was cancelled due to COVID-19, you are entitled to a full refund. If you haven’t applied for a refund yet, you can apply via this link.
Note. Lufthansa’s goodwill arrangements during the COVID-19 period expired on June 1, 2022, so the regular fare conditions (incl. the standard Lufthansa cancellation policy) will apply again.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Due to Death or Serious Illness
Under the Lufthansa cancellation policy, if you are unable to catch a flight because you suddenly fall ill or a close relative dies, you are allowed to change your travel date until you are in a position to travel again. However, a cancellation may not be permitted.
Lufthansa Cancellations—Other Conditions
What other conditions of the Lufthansa cancellation policy must I be award of?
According to the airline’s flight cancellation policy:
- Lufthansa cancellations can be made by phone, online, or physically at a ticket office.
- Lufthansa Airlines cancellations can be made online through the website even if you’ve purchased your ticket from a travel agency or a website.
- You must cancel your Lufthansa Airlines flight within the prescribed timeline to be eligible for a refund.
- If Lufthansa cancelled your flight and you want a refund, you must submit an online refund request for your refund to be processed. However, if you have purchased your ticket from a third party, you must contact them directly for a refund.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
The cancellation fees range from USD 300 – 750 per passenger for travel from the United States, depending on your travel class.
- Economy Class cancellation fees
- Economy Saver and Economy Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- Economy Basic Plus I fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 300.
- Economy Flex II fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
- Premium Economy cancellation fees
- Premium Economy Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- Premium Economy Basic Plus II fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 500.
- Premium Economy Flex fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
- Business Class cancellation fees
- Business Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- Business Basic Plus II fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 500.
- Business Flex fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
- First Class cancellation fees
- First Basic fares cannot be cancelled.
- First Basic Plus fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 500.
- First Basic Plus II fares can be cancelled and refunded for USD 750.
- First Flex fares can be cancelled and refunded free of charge.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Non-Refundable Tickets
What is the airline’s flight cancellation fee for non-refundable tickets?
The Lufthansa cancellation fee for non-refundable tickets will depend on when you cancel your ticket—within 24 hours of booking or after.
|Cancellations within 24 hours of ticket booking||Cancellations after 24 hours of ticket booking|
|You will not be charged a cancellation fee if you cancel a non-refundable ticket less than 24 hours after purchasing it and your flight departs after 7 days or more.||If you cancel a non-refundable ticket after the risk-free window (above), most of your fare will be forfeited—except government taxes.|
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Secure your fare Options
If you reserve a flight with the Secure you fare option and take no action within 48 hours, you will be charged a one-off fee of EUR 30/~USD 39, even if your booking included several passengers.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets
If you cancel an award ticket, you will be charged a cancellation fee of ~USD 60/ EUR 50.
How to Cancel Lufthansa Flight Booking
You can cancel your Lufthansa flight booking by phone, online, through a ticket office or travel agent.
Online Cancellation Process
You can cancel your Lufthansa flight booking online up to 1 day before departure as explained below:
- Go to Lufthansa.com
- Click on the My Bookings tab
(lower part of your screen)
- Enter the following information:
- Your first name
- Your last name
- Your booking code
- Click on the Find Bookings button
(all refundable bookings will appear in your booking summary)
- Select the booking you want to cancel and click on the Cancellation button
- Confirm your cancellation
You can also cancel your Lufthansa flight(s) from the mobile app.
After you cancel your Lufthansa flight booking:
- Lufthansa will send you a confirmation mail
- Your flight will be cancelled
- The refundable amount will be automatically credited to your credit card or bank account (i.e., the account that you used to purchase your ticket)
- If an online refund is no longer possible, call a Lufthansa Service Center in your area and ask for a refund.
- If Lufthansa canceled your flight, you will must fill out the Refund Form to get a refund.
- If you purchased your ticket from a travel agency, contact them directly for a refund.
Lufthansa Refund Policy
Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund highlights
The Lufthansa refund policy entitles you to a full refund if:
- You cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking and your flight’s departure is at least 7 days away.
- Lufthansa cancels your flight.
- Lufthansa delays your flight by more than 2 hours due to an irregularity at least 1 day before departure, or by more than 5 hours due to an irregularity on the day of your travel.
- You have a refundable ticket and you cancel before departure.
- Lufthansa cancelled your flight due to COVID-19.
- You had a confirmed booking but were denied boarding.
- You could not catch your flight due to a sudden illness, or the death of a close family member and can prove it.
What else should I know about Lufthansa flight cancellations and refund?
Other important things you should know about Lufthansa Airlines refund policy are as follows:
- Per Lufthansa’s refund policy, eligible tickets will be refunded within 7 days if purchased by credit card and within 20 days if purchased by cash or check. However, due to a heavy backlog, the refunds might take longer.
- If your flight was cancelled by Lufthansa and you want a refund, you must fill out a refund form for the refund to be processed.
- All refunds will be made to the original form of payment, i.e., payments made by credit card will be returned to the credit card account, and so on.
- A completely unused tickets that qualifies for a full refund will be fully refunded along with taxes and fees.
- If you have used a part of your ticket’s itinerary, the unused portion of the ticket’s value will be refunded, along with taxes and fees.
- If you have requested for a refund by phone, email, or online, do not resubmit your request or it will delay your refund.
Frequently Asked Questions on Lufthansa Cancellation Policy
The 24-hour cancellation policy at Lufthansa allows you to cancel your flight without penalty if you book your ticket at least 7 days before your flight’s scheduled departure and cancel it within 24 hours. This applies to all types of tickets, including non-refundable fares.
Yes, you can cancel your Lufthansa flight booking up to 24 hours before your flight. However, the refunded amount and cancelation charges will depend on the type of ticket you have purchased, as well as how soon or late you cancel your flight ticket.
Lufthansa does not allow you to cancel a non-refundable ticket unless one of the following conditions apply:
• You cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking and your flight is at least 7 days later.
• Lufthansa cancels your flight and the alternative flight does not suit you.
• Your flight is delayed by more than 2 hours if triggered by an irregularity 1 day before departure and by more than 5 hours if triggered by an irregularity on the day of departure.
• Due to the death of a passenger/immediate family member, serious illness, jury duty, etc. (subject to documentary evidence and Lufthansa agreeing to it).
You can cancel your Lufthansa flight booking by phone, online, via the mobile app, or by visiting a ticket office.
To cancel your Lufthansa reservations online:
1. Click on View and Manage Flight
(the ‘Booking Code’ tab will open by default, but you can also manage your flight via your ‘Lufthansa iD’ and your ‘Miles & More’ account)
2. Select the flight you wish to cancel or rebook
3. Cancel your flight by following the prompts
Yes, you can get a full ticket refund on your Lufthansa flight booking if you cancel within 24 hours of booking—and at least 7 days before your flight’s departure.
Other conditions that entitle you to a refund are when Lufthansa cancels your flight and the alternative option does not suit you; your flight is delayed by more than 2 hours due to an irregularity 1 day before departure and by more than 5 hours due to an irregularity on the day of departure; or due to the death of a co-passenger or family member, serious injury, jury duty, etc. (subject to documentary evidence and Lufthansa agreeing to it).
That depends on your ticket—and when you purchased it.
• If you cancel a refundable fare, you will not be charged any cancellation fees.
• If you cancel a ticket within 24 hours of buying it and your flight is at least 7 days later, you can cancel it free of cost—even if it’s a non-refundable ticket.
• In all other cases, you will be charged a cancellation fee depending on your fare type, route, membership status, etc.
If a flight in your travel itinerary has been cancelled by Lufthansa, you can ask for a refund by phone, by email, through your travel agent, online via this link, or with your mobile app. After you’ve submitted the request, the unused portion of your ticket—including taxes and fees—will be refunded.
If your flight has not been cancelled and you want to cancel a flight, the refund amount will depend on your fare conditions. You can cancel your trip by phone, through your travel agent, online through ‘My Bookings’, or via Lufthansa’s app and ask for a refund.
Lufthansa will refund your booking in the following conditions:
• You cancel within 24 hours of booking and your flight’s departure is at least 7 days away.
• Lufthansa cancels your flight and you fill out the refund form.
• You’re holding a refundable (Flex) ticket.
• You can’t make your flight because of severe illness or a family member’s death.
It typically takes a week (7 business days) for credit card refunds to process. Purchases made by check or cash will be refunded within 20 days. However, due to a heavy backlog, the refunds might take longer.
According to Lufthansa ticket refund policy, any ticket can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase if the travel date is at least 7 days later. The refund policy also allows refunds in case of flight cancellations, flight delays (>2/5 hours) due to irregularities (before/on the day of departure), boarding denials, and exceptional circumstances that may prevent you from catching a flight, such as death or illness.
If you cancel a part of your itinerary online, the remaining flights on the trip will be cancelled automatically. The best option is call Lufthansa and request the cancellation.
Unless stated otherwise, Lufthansa tickets are valid for 1 year from the issue date.
A valid refund request can take 7 business days for card purchases and 20 business days for purchases made by cash or check.
You can check your Lufthansa refund status online, by phone, through your local ticket office, or the travel agent you purchased your ticket from.
If you’re unable to use your Flight Value Voucher, you can apply for a refund via the Flight Voucher Refund page.
No, you cannot—unless you cancel within 24 hours of booking and for a flight that departs at least 7 days later.
Lufthansa‘s Economy Flex fares are fully refundable on intercontinental routes but are subject to a cancellation fee on continental routes.
You’re not allowed to cancel and refund an Economy Light fare, unless you do it within the 24-hour cancellation window for a flight departing 7 or more days later.
For most fare types, yes, unless:
• You cancel your ticket within 24 hours of purchase for a flight departing at least after 7 days.
• You cancel a fully flexible ticket.
• Your flight is cancelled or overly delayed.
• You were denied boarding on a confirmed booking.
• You are forced to cancel your ticket due to severe illness, etc.
Yes, it does. You can cancel and refund your flight ticket within 24 hours of purchase, as long as your flight’s departure at the time of booking is at least after 168 hours (7 days).
If you cancel your flight within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket for a flight departing 7 or more days later, you will get your money back without any penalty. After that, the fare conditions of your ticket will determine whether you’re entitled to a refund, and how much.
Some of the other conditions under which you can cancel your flight and get your money back are as follows:
• If Lufthansa cancels your flight and the new flight offered by it does not suit you.
• If your flight is delayed by more than 2 or 5 hours, depending on the reason for the delay.
• You’ve purchased a fully refundable ticket.
• You were denied boarding on a confirmed booking.
• Due to exceptional circumstances that prevent you from catching your flight, such as serious illness, etc., provided you can back it up with valid documentary evidence and the airline agrees.
You can cancel your flight on Lufthansa from the time you purchase your ticket till up to 24 hours before your flight’s scheduled departure time. However, the refund of your airfare will depend on the fare conditions of your ticket.