The Etihad Change Flight Policy allows you to make changes to flight bookings (except Economy Sale), subject to certain conditions. You can change your flight date, time, or even destination, depending on the fare rules and availability. Flight changes are subject to fees (with some exceptions) and fare differences (all tickets). The change flight policy provides the much-needed flexibility to passengers if they need to adjust their travel plans due to unforeseen circumstances or personal preferences.
To ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience, refer to the specific terms and conditions of Etihad Change Flight Policy below before making any changes to your travel plans. This will help you save time and, in most cases, money.
Overview of the Etihad Flight Change Policy
Etihad Airways flight change policy is flexible to help accommodate passengers whose travel plans change unexpectedly. It offers you the option to make changes to your flight booking, such as modifying the date, time, or even the destination of your trip. If you opt for a more flexible fare class, you may be able to make changes to your booking without incurring any additional charges.
Do refer to the important terms and conditions below before making any changes to your flight. This will ensure that you are aware of any restrictions or fees associated with modifying your flight.
- Etihad change flight policy by fare types is as follows:
- Economy Sale fares cannot be changed.
- Date changes to the following fares are permitted for afee:
- Economy Guest Seat (N), Business Guest Seat (I), First Guest Seat (O)
Guest Seats can be purchased with Etihad Guest Miles and up to 50% by cash only up to 24 hours before departure.
- Economy Hand Baggage Only (E, U, V, L)
- Economy Value (E, U, V, L), Business Value (Z, W)
- Economy Guest Seat (N), Business Guest Seat (I), First Guest Seat (O)
- A free one-time date change to the following fares is permitted:
- Economy Choice (Q, M, K, H), Business Choice (D, C)
- Unlimited free date changes to the following fares are permitted:
- Economy Choice Plus (B, Y), Business Choice Plus (J), First (A, F)
- The date change policies vary by route.
- The flight change fee will depend on your fare type (above) and route.
- You can change any flight ticket free of charge within 24 hours of booking, as long as you book your ticket at least 7 days in advance. You’re allowed to make more than one change within the 24-hour grace period, but you must pay the fare difference between the old and the new fares.
- If your flight is delayed by at least 4 hours (3 hours for departures from Athens or Larnaca) or you were denied boarding, you have the right to:
- Compensation (ranging from € 400 – 600 depending on the flight distance).
- Re-routing (at no additional cost), reimbursement, or refund (for flight delays exceeding 5 hours).
- Care in the form of meal/refreshment vouchers, communications, and hotel accommodation (if required).
- The fare conditions of your ticket will determine whether you can change flights on a chargeable or free basis.
- You can change flights (or cancel them) online via Manage your booking (explained below) or by phone.
- A service fee of USD 30 (in addition to the change fee) per passenger will apply to all changes requested through call centers.
- If your trip includes multiple fares, the most restrictive fare rules will apply when changing flights.
- You can change flights up to 2 hours prior to departure. However, flight changes made within 96 hours of departure will attract an additional fee of 10%.
- If you’re in the United States and book your ticket at least 7 days before the departure date and time, you can cancel your booking and receive a full refund if you cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking.
- If you’re unable to travel due to illness, Etihad will extend the validity of your ticket (incl. that of the other passengers in the same booking) if you can present a medical certificate stating that you’re unfit to travel. The validity of your ticket will be extended until you’re fit to travel, subject to space availability in the service class of the fare purchased by you. If the remaining flight coupons in your ticket include one or more stopovers, the validity of the ticket will be extended by up to 3 months from the date appearing on your medical certificate.
- If an immediate family member dies, Etihad will extend the validity of your ticket (incl. that all the passengers in your flight booking) by up to 45 days from the date of death, provided you present a copy of the death certificate and proof of relationship with the deceased. Immediate family members can include a spouse, parents, children (adopted or religious), sisters, brothers, grandparents, grandchildren, and in-laws (fathers-/mothers-/brothers-/sisters-/sons-/daughters).
- If you want to change any part of your trip (incl. Flight Coupons out of sequence), you must Inform Etihad at least 48 hours before departure. You will be provided the new fare and the option to accept it or retain your original flight. If you decide to opt for the new fare, your ticket will be reissued and you will have to pay the price difference if the new fare is costlier, as well as the Administrative Fee.
- If Etihad cancels your flight, fails to operate reasonably according to schedule, fails to stop at your destination or stopover, or results in your missing a connecting flight in which you have a confirmed reservation in the same booking, you have the option to:
- Travel to your final destination without additional charge on the next available flight, and if required, extend the validity of your ticket, or
- Travel to your final destination or an alternative destination (if the airline agrees) within a reasonable period of time on Etihad or another airline at no additional charge, or
- Request a refund subject to the airline’s Refund Policies.
- If you book your ticket through a travel agent or a third-party website, you must contact them directly to request a flight change.
- If you need to make changes to your flight due to a Force Majeure event, you must inform Etihad as soon as possible and provide proper evidence of the event. Etihad will make reasonable efforts to transport you to your destination on an alternative flight without recalculating your fare. If Etihad cancels your flight or is unable to transport you due to a Force Majeure event, it may:
- Offer you a refund, or
- Provide a travel credit for future use, or
- Provide transportation to an alternative airport as mutually agreed (without additional charge)
Unless expressly required by law, you will not be entitled to additional compensation for flight cancellations due to a Force Majeure event.
Etihad Change Fee
Etihad Airways flight change fee will depend on your fare type and route. A few important things to remember:
- When making a change to your flight time or date on the same route, you must pay the fare difference (if any) between the old and the new fare—regardless of whether or not you’re paying the flight change fee.
- You cannot change Economy Sale fares.
- You can make a free one-time change to Economy Choice (Q, M, K, H) and Business Choice (D, C) fares.
- You can make unlimited free changes to Economy Choice Plus (B, Y), Business Choice Plus (J), and First Class (A, F) fares.
- The change fees for Guest Seat fares (Economy N, Business I, and First O) will depend on your route. You can purchase a Guest Seat fare up to 24 hours before departure with Etihad Guest Miles plus cash, as long as the cash component does not exceed 50% of the total fare.
- The change fees for Economy Hand Baggage Only (E, U, V, L) and Economy Value (E, U, V, L), and Business Value (Z, W) will also vary by route.
It is best to check with Etihad directly or refer to the terms and conditions of your specific ticket for the most accurate and up-to-date information relating to the change fee.
Etihad Airways Change Flight Date Fee on the Same Route
Etihad Airways date change fee will depend on your fare type and route. You must check the specific terms and conditions of your ticket or contact Etihad Airways directly for accurate information regarding the date change fee for your route.
Etihad Date Change Fee on a Different Route
Etihad date change fee coupled with flight route changes will depend on what type of ticket you’ve purchased and your route. If the fare conditions of your ticket permit a one-time free change or multiple free changes, you will not be charged any flight change fee but you must still pay the fare difference if your new ticket is costlier.
If the fare conditions of your ticket permit flight changes for a fee, you must pay the flight change fee (as applicable) plus the fare difference between the old and the new route plus any other charges that may apply, provided seats are available and both types of changes are permitted. It is recommended that you contact Etihad Airways directly for accurate and up-to-date information regarding date change fees.
How to Change an Etihad Flight Online?
To change your Etihad flight online, follow the steps below.
- Go to the homepage, Etihad.com
- Click on Manage
- Enter your Booking reference/ticket number and last name
- Hit the button that says Find my booking
- Select the flight you wish to change
- Choose a new flight date or time that suits your needs
- Review the changes and any associated fees before proceeding to the payment page
- Confirm the changes and pay (if applicable)
You will receive a new e-ticket reflecting your updated flight details via email.
How to Change Flight Date on Etihad Airways?
You can change the flight date on Etihad Airways online or by phone.
Change Etihad Flight Date Online
If you’re changing your flight date online, visit the official Etihad Airways website (Etihad.com) and select the Manage option. Enter your booking reference or e-ticket number along with your last name to access your reservation. Once you have accessed your booking, look for the option to change your flight date. Click on this option and follow the prompts to select a new date for your flight. Keep in mind that there may be fees associated with changing your flight date, so be sure to review the terms and conditions before proceeding. Once you have selected a new date and paid any applicable fees, you will receive a confirmation of the changes made to your reservation.
Etihad Airways Change Date by phone
If you’re changing your flight date by phone, call an Etihad office in your city/country and request an agent to change your flight date. When requesting a date change by phone, have your booking reference/e-ticket number and new flight date readily available with you as this will help save time.
It’s important to note that not all flights may be eligible for date changes, so it’s best to check with Etihad Airways directly or consult their customer service team for any specific restrictions or guidelines.
Etihad Airways Date Change Policy
Etihad Airways has a flexible date change policy that allows passengers to make changes to most flight tickets (except Economy Sale). According to the date change policy:
- Date changes can be made up to 2 hours before departure, subject to availability.
- Date changes made within 96 hours of departure will incur a 10% additional fee.
- A one-time date change to the following tickets is free of charge (i.e., without penalty):
Economy Choice (Q, M, K, H), Business Choice (D, C)
- The following tickets can be changed multiple times without penalty:
Economy Choice Plus (B, Y), Business Choice Plus (J), First (A, F)
- Date changes are chargeable for the following tickets:
- Economy Guest Seat (N), Economy Hand Baggage Only (E, U, V, L), Economy Value (E, U, V, L)
- Business Guest Seat (I), Business Value (Z, W)
- First Guest Seat (O)
- All date changes (regardless of fare type) are subject to the difference between the original and new fares in addition to the flight change fee, if any.
For more information or assistance, contact Etihad Airways directly on the specific terms and conditions of the date change policy.
Etihad Airways Schedule Change Policy
Etihad Airways has a comprehensive schedule change policy in place to accommodate unforeseen changes or disruptions to flight schedules. Generally speaking, a Schedule Change is an unplanned or planned flight change that takes place at least 72 hours prior to a flight’s scheduled departure time.
In the event of a schedule change, Etihad Airways will make every effort to notify you as soon as possible and provide you with alternative options. You will have the option to rebook another Etihad Airways flight convenient to you at no additional cost, subject to availability. If the new flight does not suit you, you can also request a refund of your ticket. In some cases, you may additionally be eligible to receive compensation as applicable by law.
Etihad Change Flight for Free
Changing flights for free on Etihad depends on the specific fare class that you have purchased. Etihad Airways offers different fare options, including Economy, Business, and First Class, each with its own set of rules and conditions regarding flight changes. Some fares may allow you to make changes without incurring additional fees, while others may require a fee or only allow changes within a certain time frame.
The following fare types allow you to change flights for free on Etihad:
- All Economy and Business Choice fares allow a free one-time change. They include Economy Choice (Q, M, K, H) and Business Choice (D, C).
- All Choice Plus fares allow unlimited free changes. These fares include Economy Choice Plus (B, Y), Business Choice Plus (J), and First Class (A, F).
Refer to the terms and conditions of your ticket or contact Etihad Airways directly to inquire whether your flight qualifies for a free flight change.
Etihad Flight Delay Policy
Etihad’s Flight Delay Policy for flights departing from or to an airport in the European Union is in accordance with EU Regulation 261/2004. In the event of a flight delay, you are entitled to certain rights and compensation, depending on the length of the delay and the distance of the flight.
For delays of 5 hours or more, you are entitled to meals, refreshments, and accommodation if necessary. And if the delay exceeds 5 hours and you choose not to continue your journey, you have the right to a full refund of your ticket price. In cases where the delay is more than three hours and is caused by factors within Etihad’s control, you may be eligible for compensation ranging from €250 to €600, depending on the distance of the flight.
- If your flight is delayed by at least 4 hours (3 hours for departures from Athens or Larnaca), you have the following rights:
- Right to compensation if your flight is cancelled* or you were involuntarily denied boarding. The amount of compensation will be:
- € 400 for flights up to 3,500km
- € 600 for flights exceeding 3,500km
Note. The above compensation will be cut by 50% if Etihad offers you an alternative flight and the scheduled arrival time of the flight does not exceed that of the original flight:
- By 3 hours for flights of up to 3,500km
- By 4 hours for flights exceeding 3,500km
Note. Flight distances are based on the great circle route method.
- Right to Re-routing or Reimbursement if your flight is cancelled or you are voluntarily or involuntarily denied boarding, in which case you can choose any of the following:
- Obtain reimbursement for the cost of the ticket at the price at which you purchased it (applies only to the unused portions of the ticket), or
- Get re-routed at the earliest to your final destination under comparable conditions, or
- Get re-routed at a convenient date to your final destination under comparable conditions, subject to seat availability
Note. If your flight gets delayed by 5 hours or more and you decide not to travel, you will be entitled to receive reimbursement as per point (a) above.
- Right to Care if your flight is delayed by at least 4 hours (3 hours in case of Athens or Larnaca) or you are denied boarding involuntarily, the following will be offered to you free of charge:
- Vouchers for meals and refreshments based on the waiting time provided it does not delay the aircraft’s departure
- 2 phone calls, or emails/fax/telex messages
- Hotel accommodation if necessary
- To-and-fro transportation between the airport and the hotel
Note. You will be entitled to (a) and (b) if the flight is specified under Flight Delays or if your flight is canceled without notice being given before you reach the airport. However, if your new flight’s departure time is likely to be the day after the original flight’s departure, you will also be entitled to (c) and (d).
If Etihad is unable to arrange for the care mentioned above, you will be reimbursed for any expenses that you incur within reasonable limits. To claim reimbursement, you will need to submit itemized receipts to Etihad.com/Feedback or the Etihad Guest Relations Department, Etihad Airways, P.O Box 35566, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
For flights originating in Spain, you will need to fill out a claims form and submit it online through Etihad.com/Feedback or to the Spanish Aviation Safety Agency (AESA). When submitting a claim to AESA, you must attach:
- A copy of your passport, NIE, or DNI
- A copy of your complaint to Etihad/airport operator and the response, if any
- Your booking reference number, ticket number/boarding pass
- A copy of your Power of Attorney if you have appointed a legal representative
*Note. You will not be entitled to compensation if you are notified of the cancellation:
- At least 14 days before the scheduled departure time of our flight, or
- 14 – 7 days before the scheduled departure time of your flight and offered an alternative flight that departs within 2 hours before the scheduled departure time and reaches your final destination within 4 hours after the scheduled arrival time of your original flight, or
- Less than 7 days of the scheduled departure time of your original flight and offered an alternative flight that departs up to 1 hour before the scheduled departure time and reaches your final destination less than 2 hours after the scheduled arrival time of your original flight, or
- The reason for the delay or cancellation of the flight in relation to compensation is due to unavoidable circumstances over which Etihad has no control, such as weather disruption, ATC failures/delays, labor issues, political issues, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions on Etihad Change Flight Policy
Planning to change your flight with Etihad Airways? If so, you may have some questions about the airline’s change flight policy. The section below answers a few frequently asked questions on changing your flight with Etihad. Whether you need to modify your travel dates, adjust your destination, or make any other changes to your itinerary, we’ve got you covered. Before you make any decisions or reach out to customer service, take a few minutes to read through this FAQ and get all the information you need to smoothly navigate Etihad change flight policy.
Yes, all passengers except those travelling on Economy Sale fares can change their flight date on Etihad, with or without penalty (flight change fees), depending on the fare conditions of the ticket.
Yes, you can change your return flight date on Etihad Airways, except for Economy Sale fares. However, all changes to flight dates/times are subject to availability.
You can change your flight date on Etihad online via the Manage option or by phone. If you’re requesting the flight change by phone, be sure to have your booking reference/e-ticket number and new flight requirements readily available to you to help save time. If you’re making the changes online, refer to the section titled How to Change an Etihad Flight Online.
Yes, you can change a few fare types on Etihad free of charge. For details, refer to the section titled Can I Change Flights for Free on Etihad?
You can change a flight online at Etihad through the Manage option provided on the airline’s homepage, Etihad.com. For step-by-step instructions, refer to the section titled How to Change an Etihad Flight Online.
Etihad’s date change penalty is nil for Economy Choice (Q, M, K, H) and Business Choice (D, C) fares, which permit a free one-time date/time change, as well as Choice Plus Economy (B, Y), Business (J), and First Class (A, F) fares which permit unlimited free changes.
For fares that don’t qualify for a free change, the date change penalty will depend on your fare type and route.
Remember, all passengers must pay the fare difference between the old and new fares even if they enjoy a penalty waiver.
Etihad Airways has specific flight change rules that you should be aware of. When it comes to changing your flight, there are a few key points to keep in mind. Firstly, the ability to change your flight will depend on the fare class that you have booked.
The important flight change rules to keep in mind are as follows:
• Some fares (Economy Sales) are non-changeable, whereas others may incur a change fee—such as all Guest Seat, Hand Baggage Only, and Value fares.
• Economy Choice (Q, M, K, H) and Business Choice (D, C) fares allow you to make a free one-time change, whereas Choice Plus (Economy-B, Y; Business-J, and First Class-A, F fares allow you to make unlimited free changes to your ticket.
• All passengers must pay the difference between the original and new fares—even if their ticket entitles them to a change fee waiver.
For other flight change rules, refer to the Overview section at the top of the page.