Whether it’s a sudden change of plans or a mistake in booking, sometimes you need to make changes to your flight. But what are the policies and procedures involved? In this blog post, we will guide you through Lufthansa flight change policy, including fees, restrictions, and other important information to keep in mind. If you need to modify your reservation, read on to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.
The first important thing to know is that the flight change policy for COVID-19 ended on May 31, 2022. This means that:
- The regular fare conditions will apply again from June 1, 2022, and
- You can no longer change or cancel your ticket for free unless the fare conditions of your ticket allow you to do so
Lufthansa flight change policy allows you to rebook most flights for a fee, depending on the fare conditions of your ticket.
11 Things You Should Know About Lufthansa Flight Change Policy
Below are 11 important things you should know about the flight change policy at Lufthansa.
- Lufthansa allows passengers to make changes to their flights, including date, time, and destination, subject to seat availability and the fare conditions of their ticket.
- Most fares (except Economy Saver) can be modified for a fee.
- There’s no flight change fee for Flex fares.
- You must pay the fare difference in all cases, including Flex fares.
- You can make changes to your flight online through Lufthansa’s website or mobile app, by contacting customer service, or your travel agent.
- In case of flight cancellations or major schedule changes by Lufthansa, you are entitled to rebooking or refund options in most cases.
- If you book through a travel agency or third-party website, you should contact them directly for assistance with flight changes.
- Make the required flight changes as early as possible to ensure you can be rebooked on the desired flight.
- The flight change policy applies to both domestic and international flights.
- If you’re travelling on a codeshare flight operated by partner airlines, check the policies of the operating carrier for any flight change requests.
- The flight change policy is subject to change by Lufthansa, so check the fare conditions of your ticket before making any changes.
Lufthansa Change Fee
The Lufthansa change fee for flights from the United States typically ranges between USD 199-750 per passenger, depending on your travel class. The change fees apply in addition to any difference between your original and new fare.
Note. The Lufthansa ticket change policy allows you to cancel any flight within 24 hours of purchase without penalty, as long as you book it online via Lufthansa.com at least 7 days before departure.
|Lufthansa Change/Rebooking Fee—Economy Class (Flights to/from the U.S.)|
|Economy Saver||Economy Light||Economy Basic||Economy Basic Plus||Economy Flex|
|Not permitted||USD 199 + applicable fare difference||USD 300 + applicable fare difference||USD 300 + applicable fare difference||Free (the fare difference, if any, will apply)|
|NoteEconomy Light fares are only available for flights originating from Sweden, Norway, and Denmark to the United States.|
|Lufthansa Change/Rebooking Fee—Premium Economy (Flights to/from the U.S.)|
|Premium Economy Basic||Premium Economy Basic Plus||Premium Economy Flex|
|USD 300 + applicable fare difference||USD 300 + applicable fare difference||Free|
(the fare difference, if any, will apply)
|Lufthansa Change/Rebooking Fee—Business Class(Flights to/from the U.S.)|
|Business Basic||Business Basic Plus||Business Flex|
|USD 450 +|
applicable fare difference
|USD 450 + applicable fare difference||Free|
(the fare difference, if any, will apply)
|Lufthansa Change/Rebooking Fee—First Class(Flights to/from the U.S.)|
|First Basic||First Basic Plus||First Basic Plus II||First Flex|
|USD 450 + applicable fare difference||USD 450 + applicable fare difference||USD 750 + applicable fare difference||Free|
(the fare difference, if any, will apply)
Award Reservation Change Fee: Miles & More
Lufthansa allows you to redeposit your Miles from completely unused award tickets for up to 1 year from the issue date once you cancel your reservation. You will be charged USD 60/EUR 50/CHF 70 per ticket for rebooking your flight (the fee can be waived for certain flights).
- You’re only allowed to make changes to the date and time of your flight booking.
- You’re not allowed to:
- Make route changes to award tickets.
- Make changes to Fly Smart flight award tickets and mileage bargain tickets.
- Transfer, sell, or auction your flight awards. However, you can give them to your friends and relatives without payment and without having to accompany them on the flight—provided you book the ticket(s) yourself.
To make changes to an award ticket, contact your local Miles & More team.
How to Change/Rebook Your Lufthansa Flight
You can modify your Lufthansa flight booking online, by phone, through the mobile app, a ticket office, or your travel agent. You can make changes to your flight’s departure date, destination, and travel class, depending on the fare conditions of your ticket.
To change your Lufthansa flight booking online:
- Go to Lufthansa.com
- Select My Bookings
- Enter your first name, last name, and booking code
- Click on the Find Bookings button
(all refundable bookings will appear in your booking summary)
- Select the booking you want to change
- Change your flight by following the prompts
You can also change your Lufthansa flight(s) via the mobile app. If you encounter any problems or want to rebook, call Lufthansa for assistance.
Other Ways to Change Your Lufthansa Flight Booking
You can also change your Lufthansa flight:
- By phone
- With the mobile app
- Through a ticket office
- Through the travel agent you purchased your ticket from
- At the airport counter
Lufthansa Same-Day Change
Can I change my booking to an earlier flight on the same day?
You can only change a Flex ticket (in Economy or Business Class) to an earlier flight on the same day of travel without paying any surcharge. Same-day changes are available only on direct flights and are subject to seat availability on the same travel class.
You can rebook to an earlier flight on the same day when you check in (online, through the mobile app, or at an airport check-in counter/machine), provided you haven’t checked in your baggage or ordered a special service for your original flight.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lufthansa Flight Change Policy
If you have upcoming plans to fly with Lufthansa, you may have questions about changing flights. Whether it’s due to a sudden change in your schedule or unforeseen circumstances, knowing the ins and outs of an airline’s policies can save you time, money, and stress. In this section, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Lufthansa flight change policy.
The Lufthansa change fee ranges from USD 199-750 per passenger for flights to or from the United States, depending on your fare type. However, no change fee applies to Flex tickets. If you’re requesting a flight change, you must also pay the difference between the old and new fares (if any) in all cases, regardless of your fare type.
Lufthansa change fee had been eliminated until May 31, 2022, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, starting June 1, 2022, the regular fare conditions will apply.
Yes, Lufthansa change fee waiver ended on May 31, 2022.
Lufthansa change flight policy will depend on your route, fare type, and fare conditions. You’re allowed to make changes to most flights, except Economy Saver fares. The change flight fee will depend on what type of ticket you’ve purchased. It typically ranges from USD 199-750 per passenger/flight segment on flights to or from the United States.
If your new (rebooked) Lufthansa flight is more expensive than your original flight, you will have to pay the fare difference when you rebook.
Yes, you can make changes to most flight tickets from the U.S., except Economy Saver.
You can’t change your name retroactively after booking your ticket, unless you’ve legally changed your name after booking your ticket and before your travel date. In such a scenario, you must present proper legal documentation, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, other legal documentation, etc.
For details, refer to Lufthansa name change on ticket policy.