You can book a Qatar Airways upgrade before departure in several ways, including receiving cash and point upgrade offers 1 or 2 weeks before your flight’s departure. Depending on your fare type and route a Qatar Airways upgrade will typically cost you anywhere between USD 200 – 4,999, which may still be cheaper than what you would pay for a full Business or First Class ticket. Although a Qatar upgrade will move you to the next higher class, you will not be able to use the privileges that go with it—such as the use of a premier airport lounge or additional baggage allowance (unless stated otherwise).
How to Book Upgrades on Qatar Airways
You can book a Qatar Airways upgrade in any of the following ways:
- By email/push notification from Qatar Airways, sent 1 – 2 weeks before departure.
- Click on the offer link provided in the email
- Purchase the upgrade offer before it expires
- Online through QatarAirways.com. Upgrade offers will show up when you:
- Manage an upcoming trip via My Trips, or
- Check in online via the Qatar Check-in option
- On the mobile app. To receive upgrade offers available for your journey:
- Download the mobile app, and
- Use My Trips to add an upcoming trip to your dashboard
- With your Avios/Qcredits. Use the Qcalculator to calculate how many Avios or Qcredits you need to redeem an upgrade to Business or First Class—at the airport, online, or mobile app.
- At Hamad International Airport (HIA). Approach Qatar Airways staff at a designated Upgrade on Departure to purchase an upgrade from Doha to your destination.
- If you’re transiting from Doha, the counter is located in the Market Hall at HIA.
- If your journey originates from Doha, the counter is located after check-in and immigration.
- By phone. Call Qatar Airways any time by phone (check the section titled Qatar Airways Upgrade by Phone).
Qatar Airways Upgrade to Business Class
Qatar Airways upgrade to Business Class is possible only from a lower-class ticket (Economy Class)
because Qatar Airways allows upgrades to the next higher class. This means Economy Class passengers can upgrade to Business Class and not to First Class—unless no Business Class seats are offered on your flight.
If you’ve booked an Economy Class ticket and your flight is eligible for an upgrade to Business Class
you will either be shown the upgrade option at the time of booking or sent an offer by email 1 -2 weeks before your flight’s departure.
You’ll also be shown upgrade offers when managing a trip online via My Trips or checking in online through the Check-in option. All upgrade requests are considered on a first-come-first-served basis
so the earlier you purchase an upgrade the more likely you are to get upgraded to Business Class.
How to upgrade to Business on Class Qatar Airways. You can upgrade to Business Class only if:
- You’re upgrading from a lower class, i.e., Economy Class
- The upgrade offer is available for your flight route
- You purchase the upgrade offer within the prescribed timeline
- Your upgrade request is eligible for an upgrade
- Your upgrade request is received and processed before the last eligible request
If eligible and selected, you can upgrade to Business Class for a Qatar Airways flight:
- Through the offer you received by email from Qatar Airways
(click on the displayed offer’s link and purchase before the deadline)
- Through My Trips/Check-in on QatarAirways.com.
- Through My Trips on the mobile app
- At the Upgrade on Departure counter at Hamad International Airport, Doha (HIA)
- Located in the Market Hall if you’re transiting from Doha.
- Located after check-in and immigration if your journey originates from Doha.
- By phone
Qatar Airways Upgrade (Online). To upgrade an upcoming trip online:
- Retrieve your booking through this page
- Enter your booking reference number and last name
- Click on the Retrieve offer button
- View the upgrade offers on display
- Purchase the upgrade offer by clicking on the offer link
(must be before the deadline)
- Wait for a reply
You can upgrade online also through the offer you would have received by email/push notification 1 to 2 weeks before your flight’s departure. To upgrade through the email link, follow the steps below:
- Read the upgrade offer sent to you by email
- Click on the offer link provided in the email
- Purchase the upgrade offer before the deadline
(by credit card Qcredits or Avios)
- Wait for a response
Qatar Airways Upgrade Cost
A Qatar Airways upgrade will cost you anywhere between USD 200 –4,999 per flight per passenger
depending on your route and the travel class you’re upgrading to (Economy to Business Class or Business to First Class). However, upgrading it may still be cheaper than purchasing a full Business or First Class ticket.
How To Upgrade at Qatar Airways
You can upgrade your seat/booking class on a Qatar Airways flight change:
- Through the email offer you would have received from Qatar Airways
(click on the upgrade offer’s link and purchase it before the deadline)
- Online via My Trips or Check-in
- Through Qatar’s mobile app via My Trips
- At Hamad International Airport’s Upgrade on Departure counter
- By phone
Qatar Airways Upgrade Offer
If available for your flight, you will usually receive a Qatar Airways upgrade offer about 1 – 2 weeks before the scheduled departure time of your flight. Do check your email to see if you receive an upgrade offer because upgrade requests are processed on a first-come-first-served basis.
You can also check for upgrade offers online via My Trips (Manage My Booking) or with the mobile app
by phone or at Hamad International Airport’s Upgrade on Departure counter.
Qatar Bidding Upgrade
Unlike other airlines, Qatar Airways does not offer upgrades on a bidding basis. In other words, passengers are not selected on a bidding system, but on criteria that include but are not limited to:
- Passengers holding a confirmed reservation on an eligible-for-upgrade flight operated by Qatar Airways
- The passenger having a valid email address, or
- The passenger purchasing the upgrade offer as displayed online:
- When managing a booking through My Trips
- When checking in online through Check-in
- After adding the upcoming trip to the mobile app’s personalized dashboard
Qatar Airways Free Upgrade
Qatar Airways’ free upgrades are available for Privilege Club Gold and Platinum members
who can upgrade from Economy Class to Business or from Business Class to First Class by using their Qcredits, which are a part of Qatar’s Privilege Club program.
To avail of Qatar Airways free upgrade to Business Class or First Class, all you need to do is:
- Check for upgrade availability
(online via My Trips, by email from Qatar Airways, or by phone)
- Book a cash fare that qualifies for an upgrade
- Enter your Qcredits/Avios on the payment page
You will receive a free upgrade with your Qcredits or Avios.
To check how many Qcredits you’ll need to upgrade
follow the steps below:
- Log in to your account
- Go to My Calculator
- Click on the Upgrade and extra baggage tab
- Enter your desired flight requirements
- Toggle from Avios to show Qcredits
- Click on the upgrade button
The Qcredits required for a free upgrade will appear
Qatar Upgrade with Avios
You can upgrade on Qatar Airways with Avios, as explained below.
To upgrade your seat with Avios:
- Check if an upgrade is available for your route as follows:
- Log in to your account
- Click on My Calculator
- Select the Upgrade and extra baggage tab
- Enter your flight requirements
- Toggle from Qcredits to Avios
- Hit the upgrade button
- The Avios points required for a free upgrade will appear
- Book an eligible cash fare
- Pay with your Avios points on the payment page
Note. You can buy Avios if you don’t have enough left.
Qatar Airways Upgrade by Phone
You can use the numbers below (with the country dialing code) to upgrade your Qatar Airways flight booking by phone. Be sure to have your travel details ready, such as your booking reference/E-ticket number passport details, etc.
Country Phone Number with Country Calling Code
- United States/Canada +1 312 392 3679 (24/7)
- Qatar +974 4023 0000 (24/7)
- Australia +61 291654313; 1 300340600 (24/7)
- Brazil +55 1147008673 (Monday – Friday)
- Denmark +45 38 124 124 (Monday – Friday 08:00 – 18:00)
- France +33 186995684 (Monday – Friday)
- Germany +49 69 260 904 400 (Monday – Friday))
- India +91 95129 72827/79 61556000 (24/7)
International: +974 4023 0000 (24/7)
- Indonesia +62 21 2358 0622 (Monday – Friday)
+974 4023 0000 (24×7)
- Ireland +353 1 526 6489
(Mon – Sat: 9am – 6pm; Sun 9am – 5pm)
- Kuwait +965 2290 1777 (Sunday – Thursday)
- Malaysia +603 7890 5000 (24/7)
- New Zealand +64 (09) 913-5279 (24/7)
- Oman +968 2252 5500 (24/7)
- Saudi Arabia 8008 4408 86 (STC)
8008 5001 17 (24/7)
- Singapore +974 40230000
- South Africa +27 11 267 7700 (24/7)
- Sweden +46 8 4020080 (Monday – Sunday 6am – 4:30pm)
- Switzerland +41 442043820 ((Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm)
- UAE 8000 4413 519 (24/7)
- United Kingdom +44 330 024 0125
(Mon – Sat: 9am – 6pm; Sun: 9am – 3pm)
Terms and Conditions of Qatar Airways Upgrade
Under what terms and conditions are Qatar upgrades governed?
Qatar upgrades are subject to the terms and conditions stated below.
- Qatar Upgrade Online/with the Mobile App
- Applies to all passengers listed on the booking.
- Applies only to specific flights on the dates mentioned and may not apply to all flights listed on the itinerary.
- Can be purchased online as a one-time offer.
- Must be purchased by all passengers listed on the ticket—cannot be purchased selectively for some passengers and not others.
- The offer prices include taxes and fees.
- Upgrades are non-refundable, non-changeable, and non-transferable.
- The fare conditions of your original ticket will prevail even after you purchase an upgrade such as with regards to Qatar airways flight cancellation rebooking fees lounge access
baggage allowance accrual of frequent flyer miles/mileage credits.
- Flights not included in the offer will remain un-upgraded as earlier and the original terms and conditions of the fare will apply.
- Unless stated in the offer, does not provide premium lounge access or additional baggage allowance for Qatar.
- You must be at least 21 years old to book the upgrade offer on behalf of all the passengers named on your flight booking/ticket.
- Upgrade offers are subject to availability at the time of booking.
- You must purchase your upgrade offer:
- Within the timelines mentioned in the offer, and
- Through the links provided in the offer, and
- Use any of these credit cards: Mastercard, American Express, Visa
and Diners Club.
- You can only upgrade to the next highest class—such as from Economy Class to Business Class and from Business Class to First Class—but not two classes higher such as from Economy Class to First Class unless there’s no Business Class offered on your flight.
- If you pay for an upgrade and it is not provided the amount will be refunded to the card used for purchasing the upgrade.
- Original requests for special meals will remain but you must check before travelling (by phone or online).
- Qatar Airways Airport Upgrades
- Currently available only at Hamad International Airport (HIA), Doha.
- Purchase an upgrade (if available) at an Upgrade on Departure counter, located:
- In Market Hall for passengers transiting from Doha.
- After check-in and immigration for passengers whose trip originates from Doha.
- Apply only to flights operated/marketed by Qatar Airways.
- Available only between 3 or 2 hours to 60 minutes before departure, depending on which country you’re departing from.
- Upgrades will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis and subject to the availability of seats/meals.
- Upgrades for passengers flying with infants are permitted only for flights departing from Doha.
- Airport upgrades are permitted only for one sector—from the departure point to/from Doha. If you’re transiting Doha, you can only purchase an upgrade for an onward connecting flight through an HIA Upgrade on Departure counter.
- The upgrade price includes all taxes and fees.
- The upgrade service to First Class is not available on A380 flights to/from London.
- Special meals requested in Economy Class may not be served in the upgraded class.
- Upgrades at the airport do not include lounge access and extra baggage allowance.
- Avios earnings will accrue only to the original booking class and not to the upgraded booking class.
- Upgrades are not available:
- For passengers with an extra seat (EXST)/additional seat for cabin baggage (CBBG) bookings.
- For passengers travelling on a reduced rate, free non-revenue or promotional/staff promotional flights.
- Airport check-in upgrade with Avios is presently available at select airports in the Americas, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
- Americas. Washington (IAD), Sao Paulo (GRU), Philadelphia (PHL), New York (JFK), Montreal (YUL), Miami (MIA), Los Angeles (LAX), Houston (IAH), Dallas (DFW), Chicago (ORD), Buenos Aires (EZE), Boston (BOS), and Atlanta (ATL).
- Europe. Zurich (ZRH), Zagreb (ZAG), Yerevan (EVN), Warsaw (WAW), Vienna (VIE), Venice (VCE), Tunis (TUN), Thessaloniki (SKG), Tbilisi (TBS), Sofia (SOF), Rome (FCO), Prague (PRG), Pisa (PSA), Paris (CDG), Oslo (OSL), Nice (NCE), Mykonos (JMK), Munich (MUC), Moscow (DME), Milan (MXP), Manchester (MAN), Malta (MLA), Madrid (MAD), London Heathrow (LHR), London Gatwick (LGW), Lisbon (LIS), Larnaca (LCA), Kyiv (KBP), Izmir (ADB), Istanbul [Sabiha] (SAW), Helsinki (HEL), Frankfurt (FRA), Geneva (GVA), Edinburgh (EDI), Dublin (DUB), Copenhagen (CPH), Cardiff (CWL), Budapest (BUD), Bucharest (OTP), Brussels (BRU), Bodrum (BXN), Bodrum (BJV),Birmingham (BHX), Berlin (TXL), Belgrade (BEG), Barcelona (BCN), Athens (ATH), Ataturk (ISL), Arlanda (ARN), Antalya (AYT), Ankara (ESB), Amsterdam (AMS), and Adana (ADA),
- Asia. Yangon (RGN), Tokyo (NRT), Thiruvananthapuram (TRV), Sydney (SYD), Singapore (SIN), Shanghai (PVG), Seoul (ICN), Phuket (HKT), Phnom Penh (PNH), Perth (PER), Penang (PEN), Osaka (KIX), Nagpur (NAG), Mumbai (BOM), Melbourne (MEL), Manila (MNL), Maldives (MLE), Langkawi (LGK), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Krabi (KBV), Kozhikode (CCJ), Kolkata (CCU), Kochi (COK), Kathmandu (KTM), Jakarta (CGK), Hyderabad (HYD), Hong Kong (HKG), Ho Chi Minh City (SGN), Hanoi (HAN), Hangzhou (HGH), Haneda (HND), Guangzhou (CAN), Goa (GOI), Delhi (DEL), Da Nang (DAD), Colombo (CMB), Clark (CRK), Chongqing (CKG), Chiang Mai (CNX), Chennai (MAA), Chengdu (CTU), Canberra (CBR), Bengaluru (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Bangkok (BKK), Auckland (AKL), Amritsar (ATQ),
Ahmedabad (AMD), and Adelaide (ADL).
- Middle East. Tehran (IKA), Sulaymaniyah (ISU, Sohar (OHS), Sialkot (SKT), Shiraz (SYZ), Salalah (SLL), Peshawar (PEW), Najaf (NJF), Muscat (MCT), Multan (MUX), Mashhad (MHD), Lahore (LHE), Kuwait (KWI), Karachi (KHI), Islamabad (ISB), Faisalabad (LYP), Erbil (EBL), Doha (DOH), Beirut (BEY), Basra (BSR), and Amman (AMM).
Africa. Zanzibar (ZNZ), Windhoek (WDH), Seychelles (SEZ), Nairobi (NBO), Marrakech (RAK), Maputo (MPM), Lagos (LOS), Kilimanjaro (JRO), Kigali (KGL), Khartoum (KRT), Johannesburg (JNB), Entebbe (EBB), Durban (DUR), Djibouti (JIB), Dar Es Salaam (DAR), Casablanca (CMN), Cape Town (CPT), Asmara (ASM), Algiers (ALG), and Addis Ababa (ADD).
Frequently Asked Questions
You can upgrade for an eligible Qatar Airways flight:
Online when managing your trip via My Trips or at Check-in
(the upgrade offers for your flight will display automatically, if available)
Through Qatar’s mobile app through My Trips
At Hamad International Airport’s Upgrade on Departure counter
Qatar Airways seat upgrades (if available for your flight) can be made online through My Trips or Check-in or the mobile app (all available upgrade offers will show up), by phone, or at Hamad International Airport’s Upgrade on Departure counter (if you’re transiting from Doha or your flight originates from Doha).
That will depend on the prices for your route and travel class and when and how you receive an upgrade offer (by email, text message, etc.). The upgrade prices range from USD 200 – 4,999, depending on the aforementioned factors, and are usually cheaper than a full fare on Business/First Class.
You can get a free upgrade on Qatar Airways by first checking for upgrade availability when managing your trip online or with the mobile app via My Trips or later when checking in online for your flight through the Check-in tab (all the available upgrade offers will display by default). You may also receive upgrade offers by email or text message. All you need to do now is book an eligible cash flight and apply your available Qcredits or Avios on the payment page to get a free upgrade.
That will depend on many factors, including but not limited to seat availability (or lack of). Generally speaking, the closer it is to departure, the lower your chances of receiving an upgrade offer. Upgrade offers (to Business or First Class) accepted at the time of booking or received directly by email from Qatar Airways are cheaper than those available at the airport.
The Qatar Business Class upgrade offer is open to only Economy Class passengers who wish to upgrade to the next higher class, which is Business Class. You will typically receive an upgrade offer 1 – 2 weeks before your travel date by email or push notification. Upgrade offers will also show up when you’re managing your trip online via My Trips or checking in online via the Check-in tab. If you purchase an upgrade offer through a link provided in a message/notification your request will be considered on a first-come-first-served basis. Since upgrade offers are limited, the earlier you purchase an upgrade offer the better your chances of getting upgraded to Business Class.
The only way you can get upgraded from Economy Class to First Class is if no Business Class seats are offered on your flight.
Depending on your route you can upgrade from Qatar Economy to Business for USD 200 and upwards.
Qatar Airways flight upgrade is free only if you’re redeeming your Qcredits or Avios for upgrading to the next higher class of service. In all other cases, you must purchase an upgrade.
A Qatar upgrade can cost you anywhere from USD 200 to USD 4,999, depending on your flight’s route and travel class. However, if you have enough Qcredits or Avios, you can redeem them for upgrading to a higher travel class at no additional charge.
Qatar Airways upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class can cost you USD 200 per passenger per flight or more depending on your route.
If you’re upgrading from Economy Class to Business, it will typically cost you around USD 200/passenger/flight or higher, depending on your flight route.
You can upgrade your Qatar Airways flight by purchasing an available upgrade offer which you will typically receive by email/push notification about 1 week before your flight’s departure. Upgrade offers will also display automatically on your screen when you manage your trip online via My Trips or when you check in for your flight online through the Check-in tab.
After accessing an upgrade offer all you need to do is click on the offer link before its deadline and purchase it before all the offers are taken up.
Also, you can upgrade your Qatar Airways flight at a designated Upgrade on Departure counter in the airport and request the staff to upgrade you to a higher service class, if available.
Qatar Airways class upgrades are available on select routes and flights. You can purchase an upgrade for less than the price of a standalone Business or First Class ticket—by phone at an Upgrade on Departure counter at select airports online via My Trips or Check-in when managing a trip or checking in online respectively (the upgrade offers will show up automatically).
If you like an upgrade offer, click on the offer link before it expires (the date will be mentioned)
purchase it and wait for a reply. Upgrade requests are processed on a first-come-first-served basis
so be on the lookout for emails and push notifications starting 1 – 2 weeks before departure.
The Qatar upgrade offer is available only for select flights and can be purchased for less than what it would take to purchase a full ticket for Business or First Class. You can view upgrade offers through emails and push notifications (usually starting 7 days before your flight) as well as online when managing your trip via My Trips or through the mobile app (via My Trips) where they will show up (if available) automatically on the screen. You can also learn about upgrade offers and purchase them by calling a Qatar Airways office near you or contacting Qatar Airways staff at an Upgrade on Departure desk at Hamad International Airport, Doha.
If you like an upgrade offer you receive online, click on the offer link before it expires (the expiration date will be mentioned), purchase it, and wait for a reply. Upgrade requests are processed on a first-come-first-served basis so be on the lookout for emails and push notifications starting 7 – 14 days before departure.
Also check the terms and conditions of your offer (and how you receive it), which is also explained in the section titled Terms and Conditions of Qatar Airways Upgrade.
You can upgrade a Qatar flight when you purchase the upgrade offer:
That you receive by email or push notification.
That displays on the page where you’re managing your flight online or with the mobile app
At Hamad International Airport’s Upgrade on Departure counter
By phone (if you receive an offer by text or otherwise)
A Qatar Airways Business Class upgrade will cost you USD 200 or more, depending on your route and the travel class you’re upgrading to (Business or First).
You can upgrade your flight online by going to QatarAirways.com selecting My Trips retrieving your flight booking and purchasing an upgrade offer that shows up on the Manage a Booking page. Also, you can upgrade when checking in online via the Check-in option (if there are any upgrade offers left).
Another way to upgrade online is to purchase the exclusive upgrade offer sent to you by Qatar Airways at your registered email address.
No, you can’t. Qatar Airways upgrades are for specific flights and dates as mentioned in the offer emails sent by the airline. They cannot be cancelled and refunded, or changed. If you change your travel date, you will not be rebooked in the higher class.
Yes, you can upgrade your flight at the departure airport (Hamad International Airport, Doha) or when you check in online, but not at the exclusive price offered to you by email.
No, you can’t—Qatar Airways’ upgrade offers are non-transferable. They can only be used by the passenger/passengers included in the booking reference mentioned in the email offer.
No, all passengers must purchase the upgrade offer.
Qatar Airways upgrades apply only to the flight numbers indicated in the email sent by the airline to you.
If you want to upgrade the other flights in your booking, call your nearest Qatar Airways office. Alternatively, you can use the My Trips (Manage a Booking section) and view the prices displayed for all eligible flights. Remember, the same upgrade prices may not be available at a Qatar Airways office, because special fares are only available through Qatar Airways’ email offers.
That can’t be done because the upgrade offer is valid only for the flight number/numbers indicated in the email sent by Qatar Airways. If you want to upgrade the flights not mentioned in the email, you will have to purchase a full higher-class fare for the entire itinerary.
Yes, you can, provided the fare rules and the conditions of your original ticket permit the change. You will, however, need to pay the applicable fare difference and change fees.
You may not have received an upgrade offer for the following reasons:
Non-availability of higher-cabin seats
An unconfirmed flight booking
Non-eligibility of the fare for an upgrade
Booking a flight within 7 days of departure
No, Qatar Airways’ upgrade prices are non-negotiable.
If you don’t show up for your fight, you can rebook your original travel dates depending on the original fare rules of your ticket. However, you will not be rebooked in the upgraded travel class, because Qatar Airways upgrades cannot be refunded, changed, or transferred.
No, you can’t, because upgrade fees cannot be refunded, changed, or transferred.
Qpoints and Avios on the Qatar Airways Privilege Club program can only be earned on the original booking class and not the upgraded one.
No, you can’t. Qatar Airways’ upgrade offers cannot be combined with other upgrade options.
No, you won’t. If you purchase an upgrade offer, you will not be entitled to any additional baggage allowance unless it is specified in the offer. However, you can purchase additional baggage allowance online via My Trips, by phone, or through your travel agent.
No, purchasing an upgrade will not entitle you to lounge access unless your original ticket allows you free lounge access—such as if you upgrade from Business Class to First Class. However, you can purchase lounge access online via My Trips (Manage a Booking section) or by contacting your travel agent or Qatar Airways staff when you check in for your flight.