JetBlue has amended its flight cancellation policies due to COVID-19. Under the new policies, you can change or cancel any flight ticket purchased up to June 7, 2021 (incl. non-refundable tickets) free of charge.
For tickets purchased on or after June 8, 2021:
- No cancellation fee will be charged for Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra, and Mint fares if you cancel at least 1 day before your travel date.
- Blue Basic fares will incur cancellation fees of:
- USD 100 for flights within the United States, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America.
- USD 200 for all other flights.
- A USD 25 non-refundable fee will be charged for cancelling by phone through JetBlue Customer Support. This will be charged in addition to the applicable cancellation charges (if any). However, you can avoid this fee by cancelling online at JetBlue.com.
- If you cancel a non-refundable fare, the value of the fare will be held in a JetBlue Travel Credit for future travel on JetBlue (typically within 12 months). The details can be accessed via your Travel Bank account.
- If you booked through a third party, contact them directly for cancellation assistance.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy—Flight Tickets Paid with Cash or Points
JetBlue 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
If you booked your ticket 7 days or more before your flight’s departure date, you are allowed to cancel it within 24 hours of booking without being charged a cancellation fee. This applies to all types of tickets, including non-refundable tickets—but not to JetBlue Vacations bookings.
24-hour cancellations can be made online via JetBlue.com, or by phone.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy for Refundable Tickets
Refundable tickets are costlier but come with added flexibility. JetBlue’s cancellation policy allows you to cancel any refundable ticket and receive a full refund back to your original form of payment as opposed to receiving a travel credit in the case of other tickets.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy for Award Tickets
If you cancel a flight ticket purchased with TrueBlue points, your points will be redeposited into your TrueBlue account.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy for Mosaic Members
JetBlue’s cancellation policy for Elite status members allows Mosaic status members (except Blue Mosaic) to cancel even a non-refundable ticket free of charge prior to departure. Mosaic status can be achieved either by flying 30 flight segments and earning 12k flight points within a calendar year or by earning 15k flight points within a calendar year.
If a Blue Mosaic status member cancels a non-refundable fare prior to departure, the entire fare (except Extras) will be forfeited.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy for Government or Military Personnel
JetBlue’s cancellation policy for government employees and military personnel travelling on special fares allows these employees to cancel their flight and receive a full refund—even if they no-show for a flight.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy Due to Death
JetBlue’s cancellation policy due to the death of a ticketed passenger allows a full refund on the fare of the deceased passenger and his/her travelling companion(s). To qualify for a refund, the request must be made within 14 days of flight cancellation along with a copy of the death certificate. For assistance with such requests or third-party bookings, call JetBlue at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583).
JetBlue’s cancellation policy due to the death of an immediate family member of a ticketed passenger may qualify for a fee waiver if the passenger submits a copy of the death certificate, obituary, or funeral program. For third-party bookings or assistance, call JetBlue at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583).
An immediate family member can be the passenger’s (or passenger’s spouse’s) parent/grandparent/great grandparent, spouse, child/grandchild/great-grandchild, brother, or sister; or the passenger’s step-relatives as defined earlier in the sentence.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy Due to Illness
JetBlue’s cancellation policy due to the illness of a passenger’s family member does not allow the passenger to cancel a non-refundable flight ticket. However, the passenger can defer the travel date by converting the ticket into an open status ticket for travelling later (but no later than 1 year from the original date of issue), subject to the applicable change fee. Refundable tickets, however, can be cancelled prior to departure without a fee.
JetBlue No-Show Policy
If you do not cancel a non-refundable flight segment prior to departure, the entire amount associated with the flight segment will be forfeited, unless you’re holding a special government or military ticket. This includes extras such as Even More Space, Even More Speed, baggage fees for additional bags, etc.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy Due to Cancelled Flights
If JetBlue cancels your flight for any reason, you have the option to:
- Receive a JetBlue Travel Bank Credit.
- Take the next available flight at no additional cost.
- Receive a full refund if your flight cannot be rebooked within 2 hours.
If JetBlue cancels your flight within 4 hours of its scheduled departure time, you are entitled to compensation. The compensation amount is USD 50 if the flight is cancelled within 4 hours of departure, and USD 100 if the flight is cancelled after its scheduled departure time.
JetBlue Cancellation Fees
According to JetBlue’s latest cancellation policies, only Blue Basic fares will incur a cancellation fee on or after June 8, 2021.
- Blue Basic fares can be cancelled free of charge till June 7, 2021.
- The cancellation fees on or after June 8, 2021, are as follows:
- Routes within the United States, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America—USD 100.
- All other routes—USD 200.
JetBlue Cancellation Tips
To cancel a JetBlue flight by phone, you will need to provide the following information:
- Confirmation number
- Flight number
- Date(s) of travel
- Passenger information, such as date of birth, contact details, etc.
To cancel your JetBlue flight booking online, you will need to provide the following information:
- Your confirmation code
- Your last name
- Your city of origin and destination
You cannot cancel your flight booking online in the following cases:
- If you paid through a travel certificate or JetBlue voucher.
- If you’ve placed a special service request (SSR) on your itinerary or your return flight has a different city than the original flight. In such a scenario, you will need to call JetBlue for assistance.
JetBlue travel credits can be used for changing or cancelling your flight online or paying any fee difference in the airfare. However, they cannot be used to pay any fees or purchase any service, such as:
- Pet fees
- Baggage fees
- Unaccompanied Minor fees
- Even More Space seats
- If a single booking includes multiple passengers, the cancellation will apply to all the passengers within that booking.
- An already-changed booking cannot be refunded and is subject to a cancellation fee—even if it is made within 24 hours of the original booking.
How to Know if Your JetBlue Flight Ticket is Refundable
To know whether your JetBlue flight ticket is refundable:
- Read the fare details on your e-ticket
- Ask a JetBlue call center by phone
- Ask your travel agent if you’ve booked through them
How to Cancel Your JetBlue Flight Booking
A screenshot of JetBlue’s Manage Trips option used for cancelling a flight
You can cancel your JetBlue flight booking in the following ways:
- For tickets purchased online from JetBlue’s website, mobile app, ticket counter, or call center:
- For tickets purchased from a travel agent, contact them directly.
- For award tickets, contact TrueBlue directly.