Copa Airlines cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight and ask for a refund if your fare conditions allow it—and in some other situations explained below. The amount of refund will depend on your fare conditions.
An overview of Copa Airlines cancellation policy is presented below:
- Any ticket can be cancelled within 24 hours if you put your reservation on hold at the time of booking it online. If you don’t pay within 24 hours, it will automatically be cancelled.
- If Copa Airlines cancels your flight, you are eligible to claim a refund on your cancelled flight (or take the alternative flight offered to you if you want).
- If your flight is significantly delayed, you may qualify for a refund.
- If a passenger, passenger’s companion, or close relative dies or is seriously ill, the passenger can cancel the flight and receive a refund, subject to the presentation of valid documentary proof.
- Tickets issued between September 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021, can be changed free of charge (but not refunded) as long as they are utilized within 1 year of issue date or by December 31, 2021.
- If you are denied boarding due to overbooking, you are eligible to receive a full refund (you may also be eligible for compensation).
Copa Airlines Cancellation Options
When cancelling your ticket, you can choose from the following 2 options:
- Cancel your ticket and apply for a refund (if your fare conditions permit).
- Keep your ticket and use it later without being charged any fee. This applies to all tickets issued between September 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021 (in response to COVID-19), as long as they are utilized within 1 year of the issue date or December 31, 2021.
Copa Airlines Cancellation Policy 24 Hours
Copa Airlines 24-hour cancellation policy works a little differently than for other airlines. Under this policy, you are allowed to book a ticket and put your reservation on hold for up to 24 hours without paying anything. If you do not pay within 24 hours of booking, your reservation will be automatically cancelled. If you pay within 24 hours, the normal fare conditions will kick in for your ticket.
Copa Airlines Cancellation Policy Due to Death or Sickness
According to Copa Airlines cancellation policy, if a passenger or a passenger’s close relative or companion dies or falls seriously, the ticket may qualify for a refund, subject to proper documentation such as a medical certificate or a death certificate.
Copa Airlines Cancellation Policy Due to COVID-19
Copa Airlines cancellation policy in response to the COVID-19 pandemic allows you to cancel a flight ticket free of charge if it was issued between September 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021. However, you must rebook it within 1 year of its issue date or by December 31, 2021.
If you purchased your ticket from a travel agent or an online platform, you must contact them directly to process your request.
Copa Airlines Refund Policy
According to Copa Airlines refund policy:
- Only eligible tickets qualify for a refund after you submit your request along with the required documentation.
- Whether you qualify for a refund or not—and how much you will be refunded—will depend on the fare rules of your ticket.
- Economy Full and Business Full fares are refundable.
- Economy Basic, Economy Classic, and Business Promo fares are non-refundable. However, other than Economy Basic, other non-refundable fares can be changed and rebooked for future travel for a fee.
- Optional services and products are non-refundable, unless the terms and conditions state otherwise.
- Flight cancellations due to death or illness must be backed by valid documentation, such as death certificate or medical certificate.
- Refund requests for tickets purchased through travel agencies either by cash or a travel agency credit card will first be approved by Copa Airlines but the payment will be issued to the passenger directly by Copa Airlines.
- Fully used tickets are non-refundable.
- Refunds must be requested within a ticket’s validity period.
- Refunds will be made to the country of sale and in the same form and currency of payment as purchased.
- Non-refundable fees, taxes, administrative fees, travel agency charges, or other applicable charges will not be refunded/reimbursed.
- Follow up of refund requests must be made through the refund status request form.
Copa Airlines Cancellation Process
How to cancel your Copa Airlines flight booking
You can cancel your Copa Airlines flight booking by phone (+1-866-399-0587) or online.
Copa Airlines Cancellation Online
To cancel your Copa Airlines flight online, you must retrieve your flight booking, select it, and cancel it as explained below.
- Go to CopaAir.com
- From the Travel tab, select Manage your booking
- To retrieve your flight, enter your:
- Reservation code or E-ticket number
- Last name
- Click on the Find your reservation button
Your flight booking will show up
- Select it and follow the prompts to cancel your flight
After you cancel your flight reservation:
- You will receive a confirmation email.
- Your flight reservation will be canceled.
- The refundable amount (minus applicable charges, if any) will automatically be credited to your credit card or bank account (i.e., your original form of payment)
- If you had booked your ticket with a travel agency, fill out this online refund form. If your refund request is accepted by Copa Airlines, your travel agent will issue the refund directly.
- If you purchased your ticket from Copa Airlines, you can either:
- Cancel your flight online (as explained above) and rebook later, or
- Apply online for a refund
Copa Airlines Cancellation Fee
As your ticket may or may not be refundable, the cancellation fee will depend on the fare rules that apply to your flight ticket. If the ticket is refundable, the penalty charges mentioned in the rules (if any) will be deducted as cancellation fees.
The fare rules on your flight ticket will indicate:
- Whether or not the ticket is refundable
- The amount that will be deducted if you ask for refund
If your ticket is non-refundable, try postponing your flight to a later date to avoid losing of what you paid for your ticket.
How to Get a Refund on a Cancelled Copa Flight
If your Copa flight gets cancelled or delayed due to any technical reason or a reason within Copa’s control, you will be booked on the next available flight to your destination. You have the option to take the alternative flight, or a flight that suits you, or receive an e-credit in exchange of your canceled flight and use it later for future travel, or ask for a full refund.
To process the refund, you will need to fill out a form and request a refund.
How to Check Your Refund Status on Copa Airlines
You can check your refund status online by filling out the refund status request form, or call at the following numbers:
- (507) 217 COPA (2672) for Panama and all its cities.
- (1 305) 371 COPA (2672) for Miami.
- 1 800 FLY COPA (359 2672) for United States and its other cities.
For the countries not mentioned above, contact a Copa Airlines Reservation Center in your area.