The Iberia Upgrade program offers you the option to upgrade to Premium Economy or Business Class. Enjoy the benefits that come with the upgrade (especially on long-haul flights), such as:
- More seat space
- More privacy
- Priority boarding and disembarkation
- Extra baggage allowance
- Dedicated check-in counters (Business)
- Fast track check-in (Business)
- VIP lounge access (Business)
- Special onboard services
- Priority baggage delivery (Business)
An Overview of Iberia Upgrade Policy
Below is an overview of the upgrade policy followed by Iberia Airlines:
- You can upgrade Iberia-operated flights by bidding, through Iberia’s campaigns, and at check-in—with your Avios points, cash, or both.
- All upgrades on Iberia are subject to seat availability and eligibility.
- Only the highest-class fares can be upgraded with Avios.
- Iberia allows upgrades from Economy to Premium Economy or Business Class, and from Premium Economy to Business Class.
- After you’ve upgraded your seat, you will receive the perks of your upgraded class—such as extra baggage, more space, better menu options, complimentary lounge access, personalized service, priority check-in, boarding, etc.
- Your original ticket’s fare rules will still apply to issues relating to flight cancellations, changes, and fees.
How to Upgrade on Iberia Airlines?
There are several ways to upgrade on Iberia. You can:
- Bid for an Upgrade by setting your own price and submitting an offer for each flight segment. To improve your chances of success, bid higher. You’re allowed to make changes to your bid up to 5 days before departure and you’ll know 4 days before departure whether it’s been accepted or not.
- Upgrade via Campaign. Iberia will offer you an upgrade price, based on your route and flight destination.
- Upgrade at Check-in Time. You can purchase a higher class ticket at a set price (based on route) when online check-in opens 24 hours before departure.
- Upgrade with Avios. If you’re an Iberia Plus member, you can use your Avios to upgrade an eligible ticket in Economy (Y, B, or H) or Premium Economy (W), subject to seat availability. You can do this via Booking Management (Manage your booking) after signing in or by calling Iberia’s Customer Service.
Iberia Upgrade to Business Class
An Iberia Business Class upgrade is a great way to add a touch of luxury to your travel experience. Some of the perks of a Business Class upgrade include spacious seats that recline into fully-flat beds (on long-haul flights), an extensive menu of gourmet meals and fine wines, and access to exclusive airport lounges.
As a Business Class passenger, you will also enjoy:
- Priority check-in and boarding
- Priority baggage handling
- Extra baggage allowance
- Complimentary lounge access
- Free seat selection
- Personalized service from dedicated flight attendants
- Individual aisle access (select aircraft)
Note. Iberia Upgrades with Avios from Premium Economy to Business Class are only possible on Premium Economy (W) fares.
Iberia Business Class Upgrade Cost
The cost of upgrading to Business Class on Iberia will depend on a variety of factors, such as your route/flight distance, travel dates (peak/off-peak), and seat availability. Generally speaking, the cost can range anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars per ticket. If you’re upgrading with Avios, refer to the section titled Iberia Avios Upgrade Chart further down this page.
To get an accurate estimate for your flight, it is best to contact Iberia directly or check the upgrade cost via Booking Management (Manage your booking) if you’ve already booked your ticket. While the price of upgrading from Economy Class may be higher than upgrading from Premium Economy Class, many travellers find that the added comfort, convenience, and amenities of Business Class are well worth the extra cost.
Iberia Premium Economy Upgrade
An Iberia upgrade to Premium Economy (from Economy) offers:
- Wider seats, meaning more space and comfort while travelling.
- More privacy, with a separate, quieter, and more spacious cabin.
- Enhanced entertainment quality, with 12- or 13-in HD resolution touchscreens
- Priority boarding
- Extra baggage allowance
Iberia’s upgrade to Premium Economy is increasingly becoming popular on long-haul flights due to all of the added perks mentioned above.
Iberia First Class Upgrade
Iberia currently does not offer First Class seats on long-haul flights. An Iberia Airlines upgrade from Economy is only possible to Premium Economy or Business Class, but not to First Class.
Iberia Upgrade with Avios
You can upgrade your Iberia flight with Avios, a currency that passengers collect through frequent flyer programs like Iberia Plus, Aer Lingus AerClub, British Airways Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege Club, and Vueling Club. You can also collect Avios through Iberia’s on-flight and on-ground partners. Once you’ve collected enough miles/Avios points, you can use them on flights and many other travel rewards.
Remember, Avios can only be used to upgrade cash tickets from:
- From Flexible Economy (Y, B, H) to Premium Economy or Business Class, and
- From Premium Economy (W) to Business Class
…as well as book hotels, hire cars, and shop at 90-plus partner outlets.
Avios upgrades are subject to availability and are only valid for tickets issued for direct flights on Iberia, Iberia Express, and Iberia Regional/Air Nostrum. The Avios upgrades cannot be made on Air Shuttle flights and flights operated by other airlines.
Avios & Money
If you’re running short of Avios, you can purchase (but not upgrade) your flight ticket with Avios and cash, regardless of whether you book online via Iberia.com or an Iberia Plus Service Center. You can use this payment option on flights operated by Iberia Airlines, Iberia Express, Vueling, and Air Nostrum. For British Airways tickets, the flight purchase option is only available through BA’s call Centers.
How to Upgrade Iberia Flight with Avios?
You can upgrade eligible tickets with Avios points:
- By calling an Iberia Plus Service Centre, or
- Through an Iberia sales office near you
After you request an upgrade, you will be upgraded and charged to your Avios.
- Avios upgradeable tickets include only Economy (Y, B, H) and Premium Economy (W).
- All upgrades are subject to seat availability in the cabin you’re upgrading to.
- Iberia Avios upgrades do not cover:
- Air Shuttle flights (IB4XXX, IB5XXX, IB7XXX), and
- Flights operated by other airlines
- Fares not mentioned in point #1 above
- You can also earn Avios on Iberia via transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards, and Marriott Bonvoy.
- You’re allowed to transfer your Avios to any Iberia Plus cardholder via the My Avios section on your profile page.
- Iberia Avios expire after 3 years, i.e., 36 months. However, you can extend the expiration date of your Avios with a qualifying activity, such as earning Avios from one of Iberia’s transfer partners or shopping portals, or by flying on Iberia, or spending on a co-branded Chase Iberia Visa Signature Card, etc.
- Activities that cannot extend the expiration date of your Avios include purchasing Avios or transferring Avios from an IAG partner.
Iberia Avios Upgrade Chart
You can use your Iberia Plus Avios to upgrade cash tickets from Economy (Y, B, H) to Premium Economy or Business, or Premium Economy (W) to Business. Before taking a look at the Avios upgrade charts below, remember that:
- Upgrades with Avios are only available on tickets sold and operated by Iberia, meaning that you cannot upgrade on other airlines with Iberia Avios.
- Only the highest cash fares can be upgraded with Avios, such as:
- Economy fares Y, B, and H fares, and
- Premium Economy W fares
The number of Avios required to upgrade will depend on the band (route) and flight distance in miles, when you’re upgrading (peak or off-peak season), and from/to which class you’re upgrading.
Iberia Avios Upgrade Chart – Peak Season (Per Flight)
|Band and Distance |
|Premium Economy to|
|1 (0 – 650)||–||–||5,000|
|2 (651 – 1,150)||–||–||8,250|
|3 (1,151 – 2,000)||–||–||11,000|
|4 (2,001 – 3,000)||–||–||18,750|
|5 (3,001 – 4,000)||15,000||15,000||30,000|
|6 (4,001 – 5,500)||18,750||18,750||37,500|
|7 (5,501 – 6,500)||22,500||22,500||45,000|
|8 (6,501 – 7,000)||26,250||26,250||52,500|
|9 (more than 7,000)||37,500||37,500||75,000|
(based on British Airways)
Iberia Avios Upgrade Chart – Off-Peak Season (Per Flight)
|Band and Distance |
|Premium Economy to|
|1 (0 – 650)||–||–||4,500|
|2 (651 – 1,150)||–||–||7,500|
|3 (1,151 – 2,000)||–||–||10,000|
|4 (2,001 – 3,000)||–||–||10,250|
|5 (3,001 – 4,000)||8,500||8,500||17,000|
|6 (4,001 – 5,500)||10,500||10,500||21,250|
|7 (5,501 – 6,500)||12,750||12,750||25,500|
|8 (6,501 – 7,000)||14,500||14,500||29,750|
|9 (more than 7,000)||21,250||21,250||42,500|
(based on British Airways)
Points to Remember
- A return flight will cost 2x a single ticket.
- Not all flights with the given distance correspond to some bands and may not be included in the band.
- The table above will not apply if you combine an Iberia flight with flights of other carriers except British Airways, Vueling, and Air Italy.
- The fares of Iberia’s new Premium Economy cabins will apply for destinations where the new cabins are used.
- Upgrades to Business Class cabins are only available from Full Economy (Y, B, and H) and Premium Economy (W) fares.
- The Avios charts above are subject to change, so do cross-check from Iberia’s website or with the airline’s call center.
- No booking fees will apply to flight bookings made online and charged to Avios for flights operated by Iberia Airlines and Vueling. However, additional charges will apply per ticket for flight bookings made through Iberia’s Service Centers except for Platinum status passengers, who are exempted from such charges.
Destinations by Bands (Madrid origin)
- Band 1. Alicante, Asturias, Almeria, Barcelona, Bilbao, Badajoz, Granada-Jaen, Jerez, Ibiza, La Coruña, Málaga, Logroño, Menorca, Murcia, Melilla, Pamplona, Palma de Mallorca, San Sebastián, Santander, Salamanca, Seville, Santiago de Compostela, Valladolid, Vigo, Valencia, Bordeaux, Lourdes, Algiers, Geneva, Casablanca, Lisbon, Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes, Marseilles, Nice, Oran, Oporto, Rennes, Perpignan, Toulouse, Tangier.
- Band 2. Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Santa Cruz de la Palma, Marrakech, Tenerife, Amsterdam, Berlin, Brussels, Birmingham, Cork, Catania, Dubrovnik, Dusseldorf, Dublin, Munich, Florence, Strasbourg, Funchal, Frankfurt, Glasgow, Genoa, London, Hamburg, Malta, Manchester, London, Naples, Palermo, Milan, Prague, Paris, Turin, Venice, Rome, Vienna, Zurich, Zagreb.
- Band 3. Dakar, Warsaw, St. Petersburg, Reykjavik, Oslo, Moscow, Mykonos, Heraklion, Gothenburg, Stockholm, Istanbul, Corfu, Copenhagen, Krakow, Budapest, Bucharest, Athens.
- Band 4. Tel Aviv, Lagos, Malabo, Cairo.
- Band 5. San Juan (Puerto Rico), New York, Luanda, Chicago, Boston.
- Band 6. Sao Paulo, Santo Domingo, San Jose (Costa Rica), Rio de Janeiro, Panama, Miami, Mexico City, Medellin, Los Angeles, Lima, Havana, Johannesburg, Guayaquil, Guatemala, Quito, San Salvador, Cali, Bogota, Caracas.
- Band 7. Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Santiago (Chile).
- Band 8. Shanghai, Tokyo.
Iberia Upgrade with Miles
Upgrading with Miles on Iberia is simple. First, you must make sure you have enough Miles in your Iberia Plus account to cover the upgrade. Once you have enough Miles, log in to your Iberia Plus account and go to the Upgrade with Avios section. From there, you’ll be able to select the flight you want to upgrade and see how many Miles are required for the upgrade. Alternatively, refer to the Avios upgrade charts shown above.
If you have enough Miles, simply confirm your selection and complete the payment process. Once your payment is processed, your upgrade will be confirmed and you’ll receive a new booking confirmation with your upgraded class of service.
Keep in mind that availability for upgrades is limited, so it’s best to book early and check availability regularly. Additionally, lower fare classes may not be eligible for upgrades, so it’s important to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Iberia Bid for Upgrade
If you’re looking to upgrade your flight experience with Iberia, bidding for an upgrade is a great option. To begin with, you must have a confirmed booking with Iberia. If you do, log in to your account on Iberia’s website and check if your flight is eligible for bidding. If it is, select the Upgrade with Bids option and enter the amount you’re willing to pay for the upgrade.
Keep in mind that there is a minimum bid amount and that higher bids have a greater chance of being accepted. You will also need to enter your payment details at this point. If your bid is accepted, the upgrade will be confirmed and charged to your payment method. However, if your bid is not accepted, you will not be charged anything and will still get to fly in the class originally booked by you.
Iberia’s upgrade bidding process is quite simple. After you’ve purchased your ticket and received your e-ticket, one of the following two things will happen to initiate your bid:
- You will receive an email offering you an opportunity to bid for an upgrade.
- Check from Iberia’s website if your flight booking is eligible for an upgrade bid—you’ll either see a pop-up offer or a tab to initiate the bidding process.
Rules for Upgrade with Bid
Some of the rules that may apply to the bidding process are as follows:
- You’re only allowed to make a single bid on a confirmed booking.
- Your bid must be within the minimum and maximum amounts shown per flight segment. You can’t bid USD 1 and hope that nobody else bids.
- Not all routes may be eligible for bidding.
- Upgrade bids apply per flight segment and passenger. If your booking includes 2 passengers and you bid USD 250 for a segment upgrade, your bid will be understood to be for USD 500.
- When making a bid offer, you must enter your payment details while booking. You will not be charged unless your bid is accepted.
- You can make or change your bid offer up to 5 days before departure. You will be informed 4 days before departure if your bid is successful.
- Once accepted, all bids are nonrefundable unless Iberia cancels your flight.
- If you’ve upgraded successfully, you will be entitled to the benefits and perks of your upgraded travel class, incl. extra baggage allowance and complimentary lounge access.
- The fare rules of your original ticket will continue to apply to flight cancellation, cancellation fees, flight changes, flight change fees, etc.
Although there’s no clear strategy to guarantee a winning bid, you can follow the tips below to improve your chances of success:
- Use a tool like ExpertFlyer to view how many seats are still available on your flight.
- To place a competitive bid, calculate the cost of the higher-class seat and deduct the lower-class fare you’ve already paid, and place your bid on 25 – 40% of the balance price.
- Since most passengers will choose the minimum amount to bid, bid higher than the minimum amount to improve your chances of success.
Iberia Upgrade at Check in
Iberia allows passengers to upgrade during check-in (online or at the airport). If you’re upgrading at the airport, just ask the agent at the check-in counter if any upgrades are available. If there are any seats available in a higher class, they may be able to offer you an upgrade for an additional fee depending on your route and travel class.
Another option is to use your frequent flyer miles or rewards points to upgrade your seat. You can do this online before your flight or by phone through the airline’s customer service center. Keep in mind that upgrades are not always guaranteed, so it’s best to check in early and be flexible with your travel plans if you’re hoping for an upgrade.
Iberia Last Minute Upgrade
Iberia offers last minute upgrades to passengers. This is a great way to enjoy the benefits of a higher class of service, often without having to pay full price for your ticket. Last minute upgrades are typically offered at check-in and are subject to availability.
You can also request an upgrade through Iberia’s website or mobile app after online check-in opens. Upgrades are available on a first-come, first-served basis, meaning that you should arrive early at the airport and inquire about availability. Iberia’s last-minute upgrade is a great way to enjoy the comfort and luxury of premium-class travel without breaking the bank.
Iberia Airlines Seat Upgrade
How To upgrade a Seat on Iberia
Iberia seat upgrades can be made in several ways.
- The first option is to use your frequent flyer miles, i.e., Avios, to upgrade your seat. You can check your mileage balance and availability through your frequent flyer account (or via Manage your booking under Booking Management), or by contacting the Iberia Plus team.
- The second option is to bid for an upgrade by setting your own price within the suggested price range if the option is available for your flight.
- The third option is to accept an upgrade offer (at a fixed price) that you might receive through an airline-promoted upgrade campaign.
- The fourth option is to pay for an upgrade at check-in when online check-in starts 24 hours before departure, or at the airport. If you’re checking in online, the upgrade offer will appear on the check-in page. If you’re checking in at the airport, you’ll need to ask at the check-in counter if any upgrades are available for purchase. Alternatively, you may be offered the option by the agent.
Keep in mind that these upgrades come at an additional cost, so be sure to check the fees before making any decision. Additionally, some credit cards offer travel perks such as complimentary upgrades or discounts on upgrades, so it’s worth checking if your card provides any benefits for flying with Iberia Airlines.
Frequently Asked Questions on Iberia Upgrade
The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Iberia Upgrade (below) includes a list of common questions and answers to help you understand the upgrade process. Whether you’re looking to upgrade your seat, wondering about eligibility, or seeking other information, this section has you covered.
In most cases, yes, you can upgrade your Iberia flight. After purchasing an Economy or Premium Economy Class ticket.
You can upgrade your Iberia flight by bidding for it (if offered), via Iberia’s campaign offer (at a fixed price), at check-in time starting 24 hours before departure, or with your Avios. You can upgrade online, by phone, or physically at a ticketing office or the airport counter.
No, you cannot use your Avios to upgrade a ticket purchased with Avios/Miles. You can only upgrade cash tickets with Avios by paying the difference in fares with Avios.
You can become an Avios member by joining Iberia Plus or any of the frequent flyer programs of these airlines: Vueling, Aer Lingus, or British Airways. After you’ve created your account, you will be issued a membership number through which you can collect Avios points right away.
That will depend on your route/flight distance and when you’re upgrading—during peak or off-peak season. If you’ve already purchased your ticket, you can find out the upgrade charges online through Manage your booking (appears under Booking Management) or by contacting Iberia’s Customer Service.
Yes, you can, if Business Class seats are offered on your flight. However, if you’re upgrading with Avios/Miles, you must hold a valid Economy Class ticket (i.e., fare types Y, B, or H).
Yes, you can, if Premium Economy seats are offered on your flight. Remember, if you’re using Avios/Miles to upgrade, your Economy ticket must be a Y, B, or H fare type (lower fare types cannot be upgraded with Avios/Miles).
There’s no blanket answer to free upgrades on Iberia. It will ultimately depend on many factors, such as your fare type, frequent flyer status, and availability of upgrades. In some cases, you may be able to upgrade for free if you hold elite status or if there are unsold seats in the premium cabin. However, upgrades are never guaranteed.
You must purchase Economy (Y, B, or H) or Premium Economy (W) fares to qualify for an upgrade with Avios.