According to Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors policy, children between 5 and 14 years of age can travel alone only on direct domestic flights (incl. Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I) if they are using the Unaccompanied Minors service.
Spirit Airlines does not accept Unaccompanied Minors on:
- International flights
- Connecting domestic flights
- Domestic flights requiring a change of aircraft
Requirements for Unaccompanied Minors
Spirit Airlines’ Unaccompanied Minors policy also states that:
- Children 4 years and younger are not allowed to travel alone unless accompanied by a passenger who is at least 15 years old.
- Children between 5 and 14 years can travel as unaccompanied minors only on direct domestic flights that do not require a change of aircraft or flight number.
- For children who are 15 years or older, the Unaccompanied Minors service is optional. However, even if they’re travelling alone, they must carry a photo ID or birth certificate to prove their age. The Unaccompanied Minors service charge will only apply if the service is requested.
- Unaccompanied Minors will only be accepted if they hold a confirmed reservation.
- Unaccompanied Minors will not be accepted on flights that are expected to terminate before or bypass the minor’s destination due to bad weather or other reasons.
How to Book the Unaccompanied Minors Service on Spirit Airlines
You can book the Unaccompanied Minors service on Spirit Airlines:
How to Book Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Service by Phone
How to Book Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Service Online
Step 1. To book the Unaccompanied Minors service online, make an online reservation as you normally would—go to Spirit.com and enter your child’s trip details.
Step 2. After you enter the trip details, select (from the dropdown box) that a child is travelling on the flight (see below).
Step 3. Select the number of children who will be travelling and click on the ‘Search Flights’ button.
Step 4. Enter your child’s date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY) in the pop-up window and click on the ‘Continue’ button.
Step 5. You will now see a pop-up (see below) telling you whether your child is eligible to travel—and shown the per-way fee. Go through the ‘Unaccompanied Minor acceptance’ policies and click on the ‘Accept’ button.
Step 6. Follow the on-screen prompts to:
- Choose your child’s flight
- Select a bundle (optional)
- Enter your child’s details
- Purchase your child’s bags (optional)
- Choose a seat and other options
- Enter your payment details
- Confirm the booking and pay
You will receive your child’s e-ticket immediately after you pay.
On the day of travel, you will be required to fill out the Unaccompanied Minor form at the check-in counter. The form requires you to provide the name and phone number of the parent or legal adult guardian who will be meeting your child at the destination airport.
Guidelines for Unaccompanied Minors Travelling on Spirit Airlines
At the Airport (Drop-off Location)
- Reach the airport early—and carry a government-issued photo ID.
- Refer to Spirit Airlines check-in times and reach the check-in counter early.
- Allow enough buffer time for parking, and getting a pass.
- Reach Spirit Airlines’ check-in counter at least 90 minutes before departure.
- Fill out the Unaccompanied Minor form, which includes the name and phone number of the parent or legal adult guardian who will meet your child at the destination airport.
- This form will be placed in a lanyard that your child must wear throughout the entire journey.
- Ask for a gate pass at the ticket counter, escort your child to the gate, and remain there until 15 minutes after the flight departs.
- Inform the parent or guardian who will pick up your child that the flight has taken off.
During the Flight
- A Spirit Airlines flight attendant will pre-board your child.
- A flight attendant will check on your child from time to time.
- Your child will be seated close to the flight attendants.
- The parent or guardian who will pick up your child must be available to answer phone calls during the flight (in case there’s any flight irregularity).
At the Destination (Pick up Location)
- Reach the airport early.
- Collect a gate pass from the Spirit Airlines ticket counter to go through the security checkpoint.
- Carry a valid ID for meeting the child at the gate.
- Reach the gate well before the flight’s arrival time.
- Your child will be escorted from the plane by a flight attendant and handed over to the designated parent or guardian mentioned on the Unaccompanied Minor form.
Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service Fee
The Unaccompanied Minors fee, i.e., the service fee charged by Spirit Airlines for unaccompanied minors—in addition to the price of the flight ticket per route per child—is USD 100 per way. The fee covers the cost of a snack and a beverage but not a full meal.
Frequently Asked Questions on Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Submit your review