The Aer Lingus cancellation policy depends on your route and fare type. Some tickets are fully refundable, other are partially refundable, whereas some (Saver/Plus/Smart) are non-refundable.
In the sections below, you will learn how to cancel your flight and apply for a refund, how 24-hour cancellations work, what to do if your flight is cancelled or rescheduled, the compensation for delayed flights, and much more.
Below is an overview of the Aer Lingus flight cancellations policy. After going through it, you will know when and under what conditions you can cancel your flight.
- Flight bookings to/from the United States can be cancelled within 24 hours of booking and refunded if you book at least 7 days before departure by filling out a Refund Request Form.
- Aer Lingus flight cancellations will depend on what type of fare you’ve purchased:
- On flights within Europe, Aer Lingus cancellations work as follows:
- Saver and Plus Fares cannot be refunded—nor can the booking and administration fees be refunded, incl. baggage fees, meal fees, and seat fees.
- Advantage and AerSpace Fares can be cancelled and refunded, as long you cancel up to 2 hours before departure. However, if the original fare purchased by you was non-refundable and changed later, only the fare difference will qualify for a refund. However, the booking and administration fees, incl. baggage fees, meal fees, and seat fees are non-refundable.
- On transatlantic flights, Aer Lingus cancellations work as follows:
- Saver and Smart Fares cannot be refunded—including administration fees, baggage fees, meal fees, and seat fees.
- Flex Fares can be cancelled and refunded, but you must cancel at least 2 hours before departure. But if you had upgraded from a non-refundable fare, only the fare difference will qualify for a refund. The booking administration fee, incl. baggage fees, meal fees, and seat fees are non-refundable.
- Business Fares can be cancelled and refunded, but will be subject to a 15% deduction plus government taxes, provided you cancel before your flight’s departure. If you had upgraded your booking, only the fare difference will qualify for a refund. Booking and administration fees will not qualify for a refund.
- Business Flex Fares qualify for a full refund if you cancel before your flight’s departure. However, if the original fare booked by you was non-refundable and you upgraded later, only the fare difference will qualify for a refund. Booking and administration fees cannot be refunded, however.
- If a travelling companion or an immediate family member dies, you can cancel your ticket and apply for a refund by filling out a Refund Request Form (Bereavement option).
- Duplicate flight bookings can be cancelled and refunded if you notify Aer Lingus within 24 hours of booking by filling out the Refund Request Form.
- If Aer Lingus reschedules your flight, you have the right to cancel it and request a refund by filling out the Refund Request Form (Unsuitable New Flight Time option).
- If Aer Lingus cancels your flight, you can apply for a voucher to travel later, change the date or destination of your journey without being charged an itinerary change fee, or apply for a full refund.
- On flights within Europe, Aer Lingus cancellations work as follows:
Aer Lingus Flight Cancellation Rules
Aer Lingus’ cancellation policy is subject to the following rules:
- You must cancel your flight at least 2 hours before its scheduled departure time. If you don’t, the entire amount except government taxes will be forfeited.
- You must request for a refund before the expiration of your ticket’s validity.
- Refund requests must be made within 1 month of your travel date through Aer Lingus’ Refund Request Form.
- If you cancel an individual flight segment in an itinerary comprising several itineraries, it will be treated as change and incur a change fee and increased fares.
- The Aer Lingus cancellation policy is governed by the fare type you have purchased.
- Refunds may incur an administration fee.
- If you purchase your ticket from a third party—such as an online agency, travel agent, or airline—you must contact them directly to process your cancellation.
- Refunds will be made to the original form of payment used for purchasing the ticket.
- Cancelled booking cannot be re-instated.
- Services and fares already provided will not be refunded.
- Cancellations of all adult passengers will not be allowed if the remaining customers left on a booking are infants and children.
Aer Lingus 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
24-hour refund policy for flights to/from the U.S.
The Aer Lingus 24-hour cancellation policy applies to flight bookings to or from the United States. Under this policy, you are allowed to cancel and refund any flight booking to/from the U.S. without penalty if:
- You cancel within 24 hours of booking, and
- You submit a Refund Request Form within 24 hours of purchase, and
- You made the reservation at least one week (168 hours) before your flight’s departure
The 24-hour cancellation policy has been mandated by the regulatory requirements under the US Department of Transportation 259.5(b) (4) and applies to all tickets, regardless of fare conditions.
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy Due to Bereavement
If you want to cancel your Aer Lingus flight due to an immediate family member’s/travelling companion’s death, submit the Refund Request Form along with a copy of the death certificate. Your refund will be duly processed and returned to your original form of payment.
Under the Aer Lingus booking cancellation policy, immediate family members include spouse, parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, sisters, mother-in-law, father-in-law, sister- or brother-in-law, daughter- or son-in-law, nephews, nieces, uncles, and aunts.
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy Due to Illness
Can I cancel an Aer Lingus flight due to illness?
If you’re unable to travel due to illness (yours or that of an immediate family member) and you’ve consumed a part of your ticket, you’re not allowed to cancel your booking. However, you can request Aer Lingus to extend the validity of your ticket in the same class of service till you’re fit to travel again—but not beyond 3 months.
You must provide valid proof, such as a medical certificate. If your ticket involves stopovers, Aer Lingus will extend the validity of the ticket for up to 3 months from the date you’re fit to travel per the medical certificate.
Exception. If you’re holding a completely unused ticket (incl. a non-refundable ticket), you will have the following options:
- Claim a full refund
- Get a credit for the non-refundable portion of your fare
(the credit can be used by you or anyone you choose for future travel)
To avail of this privilege, you must fulfill the following 3 conditions:
- Your ticket must be completely unused
- You must have informed the airline about your illness promptly
- You must provide documentary evidence, such as a medical certificate
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy for Duplicate Bookings
If you made a duplicate booking, notify Aer Lingus within 24 hours via the Refund Request Form. The last booking amount will be refunded if the passenger names and itineraries are the same on both itineraries.
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy Due to Flight Changes
If Aer Lingus changes your flight schedule for some reason and you booked directly through Aer Lingus, you will be notified by email. However, if you booked through a third-party, they will notify you directly.
If the flight is rescheduled by 2 hours or more or you miss a connecting flight on the same booking due to the delay, you are within your rights to cancel your ticket and receive a full refund. In all other cases, the fare rules of your ticket will apply.
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy Due to Cancelled Flights
If Aer Lingus cancels your flight due to a disruption, you are entitled to claim a refund on the cancelled flight. To apply for a refund, you must fill out the online Disrupted Flights Refund Form.
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy—Points to Remember
- You must cancel your ticket up to 2 hours before departure, after which the entire amount (except government tax) will be forfeited.
- If your flight is canceled by Aer Lingus:
- You must submit the Refund Request Form within one month of the date of your booking. The eligible amount will be refunded within 7 days of your original form of payment and you will be notified by email.
- If you booked your ticket through Aer Lingus and your flight is cancelled, you can:
- Apply for a voucher and you will receive the full value of your flight ticket incl. taxes, charges, and ancillary purchases by email. For details, refer to the FAQs.
- Change the date or destination of your flight for free via Manage Trip (explained below). However, you must do this at least 2 hours before your flight’s scheduled departure time. If your new flight ticket is costlier, you will only have to pay the fare difference, if any.
- Contact Aer Lingus for alternative flight details on:
- Ireland 1890 800 270/01 761 7835
- U.K. 0333 006 6920
- North America +1-844-903-1897
- Apply for a complete refund
How to Cancel an Aer Lingus Flight
Aer Lingus booking cancellation options
You can cancel an Aer Lingus flight booking in the following ways:
- For tickets purchased directly from Aer Lingus (website, mobile app, call center/ticket counter):
- For tickets purchased from a travel agent, contact them directly.
- For award ticket cancellation, contact the Aer Lingus’ local reservations office directly.
Aer Lingus Third-Party Refunds
Under the Aer Lingus ticket cancellation policy, tickets booked through third parties (online agent, travel agent, or an airline) may be cancelled and refunded by contacting the source of purchase directly.
Aer Lingus Cancellation Fees by Fare Type
The Aer Lingus cancellation fees will depend on your travel class and route, and will be mentioned on the fare conditions mentioned on your ticket.
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy for Flights within Europe
The Aer Lingus terms and conditions of cancellation of flights within Europe are as follows:
|Saver and Saver Plus Fares||Advantage and Advantage Plus Fares|
|Non-refundable. Seat fees, baggage fees, meal fees, and administration fees are also non-refundable.||Fully refundable if you cancel up to 2 hours before departure.If a non-refundable fare is changed, only the fare difference is refundable.Seat fees, baggage fees, meal fees, and administration fees are also non-refundable|
Aer Lingus Cancellation Policy for Transatlantic Flights
The Aer Lingus terms and conditions of cancellation of transatlantic flights are as follows:
|Saver and Smart Fares||Flex Fares||Business Fares||Business Flex Fares|
|Non-refundable. Seat fees, baggage fees, meal fees, and administration fees are also non-refundable.||Fully refundable if you cancel up to 2 hours before departure.If a non-refundable fare is changed, only the fare difference is refundable.Seat fees, baggage fees, meal fees, and administration fees are also non-refundable.||Fully refundable minus 15% + unused government taxes if you cancel before departure.If you upgraded, only the fare difference can be refunded.Administration fees are non-refundable.||Fully refundable if you cancel before departure.If a non-refundable fare is changed, only the fare difference is refundable.Administration fees are non-refundable.|
How to Know if Your Aer Lingus Flight Ticket is Refundable
The following types of fares are fully refundable—provided you cancel at least 2 hours before your flight’s departure:
- Within Europe Advantage and Advantage Plus fares
- Transatlantic flights Flex and Business Flex fares
Business fares are partially refundable, i.e., 15% of the fare plus any unused government taxes will be deducted from your fare.
You can also know your ticket’s status by reading the fare details on your ticket, calling Aer Lingus, or asking your travel agent if you booked through one.
Aer Lingus Flight Cancellation Compensation
Aer Lingus cancelled flight rights for flights departing to/from an airport in the European Union
If your Aer Lingus flight departing from or to an airport in the EU is cancelled, you are within your rights to:
- Ask for a full reimbursement on the unused part of your ticket. You will receive the refund within 7 days—by cash, bank transfer, bank order, or check. This applies to non-EU flights also.
- Claim a return flight to the first point of departure if your onward journey serves no purpose.
- Take a re-routed flight to your final destination at your convenience, under similar conditions—subject to seat availability.
If your cancelled flight is rerouted and the new flight departs at least 1 day later, you are entitled to free hotel accommodation if necessary, along with to-and-fro transport to the hotel from the airport.
You will also receive the following free of charge:
- Meals and refreshments
- 2 emails, phone calls, fax/telex message
|Aer Lingus Flight Cancellation Compensation Rules*|
Flights to/From the EU
|Aer Lingus Flight Cancellation Compensation||If your flight to/from an airport in the EU is cancelled, you are entitled to a compensation of: EUR 250 if the flight distance is up to 1500km. EUR 400 for intra-community flights exceeding 1500km EUR 400 for other flights between 1500 – 3500km EUR 600 for all other flights|
|Reduction in Compensation||The above-mentioned compensation will be reduced by 50% if you’re offered a rerouted flight and the arrival time of the rerouted flight is delayed by: No more than 2 hours of the original flight’s arrival time if the flight distance is up to 1500km. No more than 3 hours for intra-community flights exceeding 1500km. No more than 3 hours for other flights between 1500—3500km. No more than 4 hours for all other flights not mentioned above.|
|*Exceptions to CompensationYou will not be entitled to any compensation if: You are informed of the cancellation at least 14 days before departure. You are informed of the cancellation 14 – 7 days before departure and are offered a re-routing option that allows you to depart up to 2 hours before your original flight’s departure time and reach your final destination less than 4 hours after your original flight’s arrival time. You are informed of the cancellation less than 7 days before your flight’s departure and offered a rerouting option that allows you to depart up to 1 hour before your original flight’s departure and reach your final destination up to 2 hours after your original flight’s arrival time. Your flight is cancelled due to unavoidable extraordinary situations beyond Aer Lingus’ control.|