The flight cancellation process can be frustrating and expensive—but it doesn’t have to be. If you do some research on the cancellation fees before booking your ticket, it can save you time and money if you end up having to cancel your ticket.
If you’ve booked a flight or plan to in the near future, here’s everything you need to know about Alaska Airlines’ cancellation policy—and how it might apply to your booking.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy Due to COVID-19
Under Alaska Airlines’ cancellation policy in response to COVID-19, the Peace of Mind Waivers will apply to tickets purchased between February 27, 2020 and April 30, 2021. This means if you have purchased your ticket during this period, you will not be charged cancellation (or change) fee, as explained below.
- Saver fares purchased between February 27, 2020—April 30, 2021 can be cancelled free of charge and credited to your Alaska Airlines’ account (My Account) or received as a Credit Certificate for future travel.
- Non-refundable fares (First Class, Main Cabin, and Award Tickets) purchased between February 27, 2020—April 30, 2021 can be changed or cancelled free of charge. If cancelled, the refund will be credited to your Alaska Airlines’ account (My Account) or received as a Credit Certificate for future travel.
- After May 1, 2021, the cancellation policy will be as follows (until further notice):
- No cancellation fees will be charged for Main Cabin and First Class fares.
- Saver fares cannot be cancelled after the 24-hour cancellation window.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy—Flights Purchased by Cash or Points after May 1, 2021
All passengers can cancel their tickets free of charge within 24 hours—regardless of the fare.
|Alaska Airlines Revised Cancellation Policy |
(after May 1, 2021)
|Fare Type||Cancellation Fee|
|Saver||Not allowed outside the 24-hour window|
|Main Cabin||USD 0|
|First Class||USD 0|
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy for Saver Fares
If you purchase a Saver fare, you will not be allowed to cancel it outside the 24-hour window after May 1, 2021.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy for Main Cabin Fares
After May 1, 2021, you will not be charged any fee for cancelling a Main Cabin fare, so you can cancel free of charge.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy for First Class Fares
After May 1, 2021, you will not be charged any fee for cancelling a First Class fare, so you can cancel free of charge.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy for Award Fares
After May 1, 2021, no cancellation fee will be charged for cancelling an Award Ticket. This means you can cancel an Award Ticket free of charge.
The Alaska Airlines cancellation policy also requires the following:
- You must cancel your ticket before your flight’s departure.
- If you don’t qualify for a refund, you are allowed to cancel your reservation and use the equivalent of its value toward future travel.
- If you purchased your ticket from a third party such as a travel agent or online website like Skyscanner/Expedia, you must contact them directly to process your cancellation request.
- Cash purchases will be refunded within 20 business days and credit card purchases will be processed within 7 business days but can take up to 14 days to reflect in your account.
- Paper ticket refunds will be physically inspected, so you must either take your ticket to the place of purchase or mail it to:
P.O. Box 68900
Seattle, WA 98168
- Peace of Mind waivers apply only to tickets issued by Alaska Airlines and can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number that starts with 027, the Alaska Airlines code.
- If your ticket was issued by another airline and doesn’t begin with 027, it will be subject to the other airline’s policies (with or without a waiver).
Alaska Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
Under Alaska Airlines’ 24-hour cancellation policy, you can cancel any flight ticket within 24 hours of purchasing it and receive a full refund—provided your travel time starts more than 24 hours after you purchased your ticket. This applies to all types of fares, including Saver fares.
Remember, the 24-hour cancellation policy will only apply to tickets booked for travel starting more than 24 hours from the time of booking. If you cancel a ticket within 24 hours of departure, you will be charged a cancellation fee.
The refund will be credited to your original form of payment, i.e., if you paid by credit card, the amount will be credited back to your credit card.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Fee
Under Alaska Airlines’ cancellation policy, if you cancel a flight ticket (except a Saver fare) within 24 hours of your flight’s departure, you will be charged a cancellation fee of USD 125.
How to Cancel an Alaska Airlines Flight
You can cancel your Alaska Airlines flight by phone (+1-844-902-2949), through a ticket office/call center/travel agent, or online (incl. via the mobile app).
How to Cancel Your Alaska Airlines Flight by Phone
To cancel an Alaska Airlines flight by phone, simply call +1-844-902-2949 and request a cancellation. This number is toll-free within the United States and Canada and open 24/7.
How to Cancel Your Alaska Airlines Flight Online
To cancel your Alaska Airlines flight online:
- Go to Alaska Airlines’ homepage: AlaskaAir.com
- Click on the Manage trip tab
(or the Manage tab above it)
- Enter the following information:
a. Your last name
b. Your 6-letter confirmation code, or 10-digit e-ticket #
- Click on the Continue button
- Select the flight you want to cancel
- Click on the Cancel option
- Select one of the following:
- Send the travel credit to my email to receive a Credit Certificate
- Send the credit to My Wallet to receive a credit deposit in your My Account profile
If you selected the Send travel credit to my email option, you will receive 2 emails from firstname.lastname@example.org. One mail will have your certificate code (with the subject line Your Alaska Airlines credit certificate), and the other mail will have your PIN (with the subject line Your PIN has arrived). You will need both your certificate code and PIN when booking a new flight.
If you selected the Send the credit to My Wallet option, the value of your ticket will be deposited into your My Account for future travel.
- If you receive a Credit Certificate, it will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue, or 30 days from the date of cancellation or exchange, whichever is later.
- Credit Certificates cannot be used on the mobile app or mobile site.
- All Credit Certificates and wallet funds:
- Expiring in 2021 will now be valid through December 31, 2021.
- Must be used for purchasing a new ticket before they expire.
- Tickets purchased on/after January 1, 2021, will expire 12 months after they were issued.
- You must save your Certificate Code and PIN as you will need them to book your new flight.
- You can check your certificate balance whenever you want.
Alaska Airlines Travel Credits
When you change or cancel a non-refundable ticket, the value of your ticket:
- Can be held in the form of a ticket
- Can be exchanged for a Credit Certificate
- Can be deposited into your My Account wallet
As explained above, you will receive your Credit Certificate code and PIN through 2 separate emails from email@example.com. You will need both of these when you book a new ticket. You can retain your Credit Certificate as is or deposit it to your Alaska Airlines wallet (My Account). If you retain it as it is, simply apply the code and its corresponding PIN on the payment page to book your new ticket.
You can receive a travel credit directly into your wallet when you cancel (or change) your flight. You can also deposit a Credit Certificate issued earlier into your wallet for convenience.
How to Redeem Your Alaska Airlines Credit Certificate and Book a Flight
To use your Credit Certificate for purchasing a new flight ticket, you will need to enter the Credit Certificate code and its corresponding PIN on the payment page of Alaska Airlines’ full website, www.AlaskaAir.com—this cannot be done with the mobile app or through the mobile website.
To make a new flight reservation online with your Credit Certificate:
- Go to Alaska Airlines full website, www.AlaskaAir.com
- Book your new flight
- On the Payment page:
a. Select the Wallet and certificates section
b. Click on Use certificates or gift cards
(to use more than 4 certificates, deposit to your wallet first)
- Enter your Certificate Code and its corresponding PIN
Note. You must match each Certificate Code to its PIN correctly. If you need to pay more, you can use your credit card to pay the balance and complete the purchase.
- Confirm and complete the transaction
You will receive your new ticket by email.
How to Deposit Credit Certificates into Your Alaska Airlines Wallet
You can deposit your Alaska Airlines Credit Certificate into your wallet. Later, you can apply the balance (plus with the funds in your wallet) on the Payment page to book a new ticket.
To deposit a Credit Certificate into your wallet:
- Go to Alaska Airlines homepage, www.AlaskaAir.com
- Sign in to your account with your User ID/Mileage Plan Number and Password
(or sign up if you don’t have an account)
- Select My Wallet
- Enter your Certificate Code and corresponding PIN
- Click on the Deposit button
(after entering the verification code and agreeing to the deposit rules)
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the deposit process
The value of your Credit Certificate will be credited to your wallet and will reflect there.
- You must redeem your Credit Certificates before their expiry date, but the actual travel date can be after the expiry date.
- Credit Certificates can only be redeemed online via www.AlaskaAir.com.
- Service charges and other fees (baggage, etc.) must be paid with a different form of payment.
- You cannot purchase lounge membership, food or beverages, cargo services, hotel/car services, or other goods/services with your Credit Certificate.
- You can use up to 4 Credit Certificates to make one reservation. If the balance is insufficient, you can pay via your credit card or some other form of payment. If the price of your new ticket is less than the amount in your Credit Certificates, the balance will remain on your Certificate until it is exhausted.
- Your Credit Certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of issue of your original ticket or 30 days from the cancellation/exchange date, whichever is later.
- You cannot redeem your Credit Certificates for cash, check, or gift certificates.
- Credit Certificates cannot be transferred, bartered, or sold.
How to Track Your Alaska Airlines Refund Request
You can track your status of the refund by phone, fax, or email.
Weekdays 9am–12pm and 1pm–4:30pm (PST)
How to Apply for a Fee Refund at Alaska Airlines
If you cancel a flight for which you purchased add-ons such as checked baggage, inflight entertainment, wi-fi charges, etc., you can ask for the unused service fees as follows:
- For refund of checked baggage fee, unaccompanied minor fee, pet fee, paid/mileage upgrades, or therapeutic oxygen paid directly to Alaska Airlines when checking in (online, at the kiosk, or airport desk), contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For refund of fees paid for a hotel, skycap, or cruise ship, refer to the instructions provided in your receipt.
- For refund of fees paid to codeshare/interline partner, contact them directly.
- For refund of Gogo wi-fi, contact www.gogoair.com.
Alaska Airlines Contact Information
Below are a few important Alaska Airlines’ contact numbers.
- Alaska Airlines Reservations/Cancellations Phone Number
- Flight Booking Changes
- Customer Relations (post-flight concerns)
- Delayed Baggage
- Accessible Services Help
+1-844-902-2949 (U.S. toll-free, open 24/7)
+1-800-503-0101 (dial 711 for relay services)
Are You Eligible for a Full Refund on Alaska Airlines?
You are eligible for a full refund on all Alaska Airlines reservations (including Saver fares) if you cancel within 24 hours of booking—and you booked your ticket more than 24 hours before your flight’s departure.
Frequently Asked Questions on Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy
What will happen if I cancel my Alaska Airlines flight?
If you cancel an Alaska Airlines flight ticket (incl. Saver fares) booked between February 27, 2020—April 30, 2021, you will not be charged any cancellation fee. The value of your ticket will be credited to your Alaska Airlines account (My Account) or issued as a Credit Certificate (a code with a PIN) for future travel. Remember, both types of credits must be used toward future travel—they cannot be encashed.
If you booked a ticket on or after May 1, 2021, you will not be charged any cancellation fee for Main Cabin and First Class fares. However, this does not apply to Saver fares, which can only be cancelled within the 24-hour cancellation window.
Can I get a full refund on my Alaska Airlines flight?
You can get a full refund on your Alaska Airlines flight if:
- You cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking—this applies to Saver fares also.
- Your flight is cancelled and the new flight doesn’t suit you.
- Your flight is rescheduled and the new flight is affected by more than 1 hour.
What should I do if my Alaska Airlines flight is rescheduled or cancelled?
If your flight is rescheduled or cancelled, you will be moved to the next available flight. If your new flight is schedule is affected by more than 1 hour, you have the option to:
- Reschedule to a flight that suits you—up to 1 day later or earlier.
- Cancel your flight/trip and request a travel credit for later use.
- Cancel your flight/trip and request a refund (most people don’t know this).
What happens if I cancel a non-refundable Alaska Airlines ticket?
Under the temporarily relaxed new policies due to COVID-19, you can now cancel all non-refundable tickets (except Saver tickets) free of charge and receive a travel credit for future travel. These credits can be redeemed within 12 months from the date of issue of the original ticket, or 30 days from the date of cancellation (whichever is later). Otherwise, you would normally be charged a USD 125 fee for cancelling a ticket outside the 24-hour window (except Saver fares).
Can I cancel a Saver ticket within 24 hours of booking?
Yes, you can cancel a Saver ticket within 24 hours of booking and receive a full refund, which will be credited to your original form of payment. However, your flight’s departure must be more than 24 hours later at the time of booking.
What is Alaska Airlines cancellation policy for First Class fares?
Under Alaska Airlines’ temporarily relaxed cancellation policy due to COVID-19, passengers holding a First Class fare are allowed to cancel their flight free of charge and receive a travel credit for future use.
What is Alaska Airlines refund policy?
Alaska Airlines’ refund policy states that outside the 24-hour window, only refundable fares qualify for a refund. Tickets falling in the following categories do not qualify for a refund:
- Tickets issued by a third party.
- Saver fares (not cancelled within 24 hours of booking).
- Government fares.
- Tickets older than 1 year.
- Group and vacation reservations.
- Unaccompanied minor reservations on partner airlines.
- Tickets using a non-U.S. currency.
How can I request a refund at Alaska Airlines?
If you purchase and cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking—and your flight departs after at least 24 hours—you qualify for a full refund, regardless of what type of ticket you’re holding. You can request for a refund by phone (+1-844-902-2949), through a ticket center/call center, or online (through Manage trip).
If you cancel a non-refundable ticket within 24 hours of your flight’s departure, a cancellation fee of USD 125 will apply. However, in the current temporarily relaxed COVID-19 situation, you have the option to receive a Credit Certificate for the value of your ticket which you can use later to book a flight in the future.
If you want to cancel (and get a refund on) a refundable ticket, you can request for a refund online or contact Alaska Airlines. Both ways, the refund will be credited back to your original form of payment.
Remember, you can also contact customer service via:
- Chat. Go to the main website (Help Center) and click on Start reservations chat.
- Text. Text your request to 82008.
How long will it take before I can get a refund on Alaska Airlines?
All tickets that qualify for a refund are refunded to the original form of payment. If you paid by cash, you can expect the refund within 20 business days and if you paid by credit card, the amount will be refunded within 7 business days (but it can take up to 14 days for it to reflect on your credit card statement).
If you want to check on the status of your refund, contact the refund department by phone (206-392-7722), fax (206-392-7587), or email (email@example.com).
How can I get a refund on a flight I booked with points?
If you want to cancel an award flight booked with points, all you have to do is cancel your flight. Your points will automatically be deposited into your account within 48 hours.
What should I do if Alaska Airlines cancelled my flight?
If Alaska Airlines cancelled your flight, you can either opt for the alternative travel arrangements offered by the airline (at no extra charge) or ask for a refund.
What is Alaska Airlines non-refundable ticket cancellation policy?
Under Alaska Airlines’ cancellation policy for non-refundable tickets:
- You can cancel a non-refundable ticket within 24 hours of purchase and receive a full refund—provided your flight’s departure time at the time of booking is more than 24 hours later.
You can cancel a non-refundable ticket before your flight’s departure and receive a travel credit (minus the applicable change fee) for future travel. This Peace of Mind Waiver applies temporarily under the relaxed policy provisions of COVID-19.
Submit your review