Kenya Airways is offering more flexibility to passengers in response to the COVID-19 situation. If you booked your ticket with a travel date between February 1, and December 31, the Kenya Airways cancellation policy offers you the following 2 options:
- Leave your ticket open till December 31.
- You can reorganize your travel plans when it suits you.
- If you booked your ticket with a travel date between February 1, and December 31, you must fill out the online rebook form to change your flight.
- If you purchased your ticket directly from Kenya Airways, you can change your flight through Manage My Booking.
- You will not be charged any fee for getting your ticket reissued in the same booking class and seasonality.
- Ask for a refund by filling out the Online Refund Form.
- Your itinerary will be cancelled.
- Your refund will be processed within at least 21 days of your request, but it could take longer due to a heavy backlog.
- When filling out the form, you will be required to provide your name, email address, E-ticket number, booking reference number, flight date, date of booking, refund type (partial/full), the itinerary you wish to cancel, the form of payment, and reason for a refund (COVID-19/other).
Note. If your flight was cancelled due to COVID-19, you will not be entitled to any compensation under EU Regulation 262/2004, as extraordinary circumstances are exempted from compensation.
Kenya Airways Cancellation Policy—Other Conditions
What is Kenya Airways ticket cancellation policy for full refunds?
A few important points to remember about Kenya Airways’ cancellation policy are listed below. They describe the conditions under which you can cancel your flight and get a refund:
- If you purchase a ticket to/from the United States directly from Kenya Airways at least 7 days before departure, you’re allowed to cancel it within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket and receive a full refund. The 24-hour cancellation policy is explained in detail below.
- If Kenya Airways cancels your flight, you have the option to either take the new flight offered to you or decline it and ask for full refund to your original form of payment.
- If you booked your ticket directly from Kenya Airways, you can cancel your flight online (via Manage My Booking ? Cancel and Refund) and request a refund by filling out the online Refund Form, or by contacting Kenya Airways by phone.
- If you booked your ticket through a travel agent, you must contact them directly to process your refund.
- If your Kenya Airways flight was delayed by more than 8 hours, you are within your rights to cancel your flight and ask for a refund by filling out the Refund Form.
- If a passenger dies before travelling, the next of kin can cancel the deceased passenger’s flight by filling the Refund Form and ask for a refund.
- If Kenya Airways fails to operate a flight as planned, does not stop at your destination, or causes you to miss a connecting flight on the same itinerary on which you hold a confirmed reservation, you have the option to:
- Catch the next available flight at no additional charge.
- Extend the validity of your ticket.
- Travel at a later date that suits you at no additional charge; if your new ticket is cheaper, the fare difference will be refunded to you.
- Ask for a full refund.
- If Kenya Airways denies boarding to you for no fault of yours, you can claim a full refund of your ticket plus denied boarding compensation.
Kenya Airways 24-hour Cancellation Policy
According to Kenya Airways 24-hour cancellation policy, you can cancel and receive a full refund on any flight booking to/from the U.S. if you cancel within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket and your travel date is at least 7 days later at the time of booking.
- To apply for a refund, you must fill out the online Refund Form and mention on the form that you are cancelling per the 24-hour full refund policy. From the Reason for refund dropdown, select Others and in the Brief Description box, mention that you are cancelling per the 24-hour refund policy.
- You can cancel online only if you purchased your ticket through Kenya Airways’ official website or mobile app.
- If you purchased your ticket from a Kenya Airways office or contact center, you will need to contact them directly for a refund.
- If you purchased from a travel agent, you will need to contact them directly for a refund.
The 24-hour refund policy only applies to flight tickets to or from the United States if they meet all the conditions mentioned above.
Kenya Airways Cancelled Flights Policy
What if my Kenya Airways flight is cancelled?
According to Kenya Airways cancelled flights policy, if your flight is cancelled, you have the option to:
- Travel on the next available flight offered to you at no extra charge*.
- Extend your ticket’s validity at no extra charge*.
- Travel later when it suits you without paying extra*; if your new ticket is cheaper, the fare difference will be refunded to you.
- Ask for a full refund.
* As long as you travel to the same destination and in the same travel class. If you upgrade or change your destination, any difference in fares, taxes, etc., must be paid for.
How to Cancel a Kenya Airways Flight
Kenya Airways cancellation process explained
If you purchased your ticket directly from Kenya Airways (website, mobile app, local office, or call center), you can cancel your flight:
- Online through Kenya-Airways.com
- Through a local ticket office in your area
- By phone: +254-20-327-4747/+254-711-024-747
What if I purchased my ticket from a travel agent?
If you purchased your ticket from a travel agent or a website like Skyscanner, you must contact the ticket-issuing source directly and request them to cancel your ticket.
Note. If you want to cancel a flight departing from Guangzhou, you must:
- Call KQ’s Guangzhou Airport Office: +86-20-36068800 (3pm to 11pm local time, all days)
- Call KQ’s Guangzhou Town Office: +86-20-38663221 (9am to 6pm local time, weekdays)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your journey has already begun, you must call the KQ Contact Center in Nairobi at +254-20-3274747.
How to cancel a Kenya Airways flight online
A screenshot of Kenya Airways Manage Booking functionality used for flight cancellation
- Go to Kenya-Airways.com
- Select the Manage Booking tab
- Enter your last name and booking reference number/E-ticket number
- Hit Continue
- Select the Cancel and Refund option
- Follow the prompts to confirm the cancellation
You will receive a confirmation email informing you of the cancellation. If you want to apply for a refund, you will need to fill out the online Refund Form. Refer to Kenya Airways Refund Rules for details.
Kenya Airways Flight Cancellation Charges
What is the flight cancellation fee charged by Kenya Airways?
Kenya Airways flight cancellation charges are provided below. In most cases, the cancellation charges range from USD 100 – 300 (USD 50 for award tickets), depending on your route and fare type. If you cancel your ticket:
- Through the online Refund Form, you will be charged USD 100 – 300, depending on your fare type and route.
- Through phone reservations, you will be charged USD 100 – 300, depending on your fare type and route.
- Through phone reservations through a travel agent, you will be charged USD 100 – 300, depending on your fare type and route.
- And your ticket is an Award Ticket, you will be charged a cancellation fee of USD 50.
Kenya Airways Flight Cancellation Compensation
If your Kenya Airways flight departing from an airport in the European Union is cancelled less than 14 days before your travel date and the flight was cancelled under conditions within the airline’s control, you are within your rights to opt for:
- A replacement flight to your destination free of charge, or
- Up to EUR 600 as flight cancellation compensation
Exceptions. You will not be entitled to any compensation if you’re offered a replacement flight that arrives at a similar time to that of the original flight. The compensation is only available for lost time, depending on distance and the length of the delay. The EUR 600 compensation will be reduced incrementally, subject to distance and the period of delay.
Kenya Airways Refund Rules
All refunds are subject to the fare rules per the following conditions:
- Refund payments will be made to the passenger whose name appears on the ticket or whoever has paid for the ticket (subject to proof of payment).
- Refunds will be subject to the surrender of the flight ticket and unused flight coupons (except in case of lost tickets).
- Involuntary refunds due to failure of Kenya Airways to operate a flight within reasonable limits per schedule, stop at the passenger’s destination, cause the passenger to miss a connecting flight on which the passenger holds a confirmed booking, the amount of refund will be the amount of the full fare paid if the ticket is fully unused; if the ticket is partially used, the amount of refund will be at least the difference between the fare paid and the fare already used.
- For voluntary refunds by a passenger, the amount of refund will be the fare paid minus the applicable cancellation fees and service charges if your ticket is fully unused. If you have partially used your ticket, the refund amount will be the fare already paid less the part of the fare consumed and service charges and/or cancellation fees.
- If you lose your ticket, you must provide satisfactory proof of having lost the ticket and pay the applicable charges. You will be issued a refund only after the expiry date of your ticket, provided that you undertake to indemnify the airline in the event that the ticket is used by a third party, unless it is as a result of the airline’s own negligence.
- Refunds will be in the same currency in which you purchased your ticket.
- Refunds will be made in the same manner in which the ticket was purchased.
- Refunds for credit/debit card purchases will be made within 14 business days. However, your credit card company or bank make take additional time to credit the refund to your account.
- All refunds are subject to the rules mentioned on your ticket, incl. the penalties and fees as applicable.
- Kenya Airways may issue your refund in the form of a travel voucher. Due to high processing times on account of high volumes, this may take up to 21 days.
- Refund applications cannot be made by email—you must fill out the Online Refund Form.
- Refunds for tickets purchased from third parties must be applied through them.
- If you have paid taxes, charges, or fees that have been subsequently reduced or abolished, you can ask for a refund, regardless of whether you’re travelling or have cancelled your ticket (incl. a non-refundable ticket).
Frequently Asked Questions on Kenya Airways Cancellation
The quickest way to cancel a flight on Kenya Airways is to call or your country office. You can also ask the customer service representative about the other options available, the cancellation charges if any, and the most cost-effective alternatives open to you.
If you booked your flight through a travel agent, you should contact them directly to cancel your flight.
Yes, you can apply for a refund online by filling out the Online Refund Form. This is possible only if you purchased your ticket directly from Kenya Airways. If you purchased your ticket from a third party, you must ask them directly for a refund.
If you purchased a flight ticket with a travel date between February 1, and December 31, you have the option to keep your ticket open up to December 31, and travel later, or cancel it and ask for a penalty-free refund.
You can also cancel a flight booking to/from the United States without any cancellation fee if purchase your ticket directly from Kenya Airways at least 7 days before departure, and cancel your ticket within 24 hours of purchasing it.
In all other cases, a cancellation fee will apply (unless it states on your ticket that your fare is refundable).
You can cancel your flight and get a full refund if:
1. The travel date on your ticket is between February 1, and December 31.
2. You’re holding a fully refundable ticket.
3. You purchase a ticket to/from the United States directly from Kenya Airways at least 7 days before departure and cancel it within 24 hours.
4. Your flight is cancelled and you decline the new flight offered to you.
5. Your flight is delayed by more than 8 hours.
6. You were denied boarding for no fault of yours.
7. Your flight was delayed and it caused you to miss a connecting flight on the same flight booking.
8. The ticketholder dies.
In all other cases, you will be charged a cancellation fee, which ranges from USD 100 – 300 (except Award Tickets, which cost USD 50 to cancel).
Depending on your route and fare type, Kenya Airways cancellation charges range from USD 100 – 300, and USD 50 for award tickets.
You can make a flight cancellation on Kenya Airways by phone, online (if you purchased your ticket directly from the airline), by WhatsApp, email, or through the travel agent you purchased your ticket from.