What is the WestJet Unaccompanied Minor policy for children travelling alone?
WestJet’s Unaccompanied Minors services are available for children between 8 and under 18 years of age travelling alone on domestic flights within Canada, as long as they are non-stop or direct and require no change of aircraft.
The Unaccompanied Minors service is:
- Mandatory if your child is between 8 and less than 12 years old.
- Optional if your child is between 12 and less than 18 years old.
Children who do not qualify for the Unaccompanied Minors program (on international or connecting flights) can use WestJet’s Guardian Fare Program, which allows a guardian to accompany the child at a substantially lower cost.
Neither service is available for WestJet Vacation package bookings.
WestJet Rules for Unaccompanied Minors
How old can an unaccompanied be to travel alone on WestJet?
WestJet’s rules for Unaccompanied Minors based on a child’s age are as follows:
|Program||Age (in Years)|
|0 – 1||2 – 5||6 – 7||8 – 11||12 – 15||16 – <18|
|Unaccompanied Minor Program||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Mandatory||Optional||Optional|
|Guardian Fare Program||Mandatory||Mandatory||Optional|
|Travel Alone||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Optional||Optional|
|Travel with sibling(s) or children older than 2 years||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Allowed|
|Travel with sibling(s) or children older than 5 years||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed||Allowed||Allowed|
How do I book the Unaccompanied Minor service or Guardian Fare Program on WestJet?
You can book the Unaccompanied Minor service/Guardian Fare Program as follows:
|Unaccompanied Minor Program Reservations||Guardian Fare Program Reservations|
|– By phone Call 1-866-399-0587.|
– Online Fill out the Unaccompanied Minors Form. WestJet will respond by email within 48 hours. You must then confirm and pay an Unaccompanied Minor fee of CAD 100 within 24 hours.
|– By phone Call 1-866-399-0587.|
Unaccompanied Minors Program Details
- Age Requirements
- Your child must be at least 8 years old on the day of travel.
- The Unaccompanied Minors Program/Service is:
- Mandatory if your child is between 8 and below 12 years old and travelling alone.
- Optional if your child is between 12 and below 18 years old and travelling alone.
The Unaccompanied Minors service is not available for:
- Children who are blind or deaf.
- Children requiring a service dog.
- Children with allergies requiring them to travel with epinephrine auto-injectors such as Epi-pens.
- Children requiring assistance with taking medication.
- Children with disabilities that require them to travel with a familiar guardian may qualify for the Guardian Fare Program.
- Children unable to communicate in French or English (verbally or in writing).
- Flight Restrictions
To qualify for travel, the Unaccompanied Minor’s flight:
- Must be a domestic flight within Canada (for flights outside of Canada incl. the United States, to use the Guardian Fare Program.
- Must be operated by WestJet Airlines and not an airline partner.
- Must not include a connecting flight or multiple flight numbers.
- Must not depart before 5.30am or land after 10pm if WestJet has more than one flight to the destination per day.
- Must not be an overnight flight.
Note. Unaccompanied Minor flights do not qualify for Air Miles and RBC points bookings.
- Unaccompanied Minor Reservations
- By phone.
- Through WestJet’s online form. WestJet will respond within 48 hours by email. You must confirm the reservation within 24 hours and pay a per-way service fee of CAD 100. If you don’t pay within 24 hours, you must submit a fresh request.
- Number of Unaccompanied Minors Accepted
- WestJet accepts up to 4 unaccompanied minors per flight.
- Snacks and Drinks
- WestJet may provide a snack and a drink free of charge, and other onboard items for purchase.
- Identification and Other Requirements
Your child must have the following documents:
- A valid identification document with date of birth, gender, and full name.
- Full names (as displayed on government IDs), addresses, and cellphone numbers of:
- The guardian(s) accompanying the child to the departure airport.
- The guardian(s) receiving your child at the arrival airport.
- A photocopy of the child’s birth certificate or government ID displaying the date of birth and gender.
- When receiving your child at the arrival airport, the adult guardian (18 years or older) designated by you must present a government-issued photo ID.
- After you submit the unaccompanied minor booking form, the unaccompanied minor form and gate pass will be emailed to you (i.e., the person who made the flight booking). The form is mandatory for both directions (if booked).
- Before reaching the airport, be sure to complete the form and gate pass. This will ensure there are no delays and your child does not miss the flight.
- Travel Tips
- Your child is entitled to the same carry-on and checked baggage allowance as an adult.
- Unaccompanied Minors are not allowed to travel with pets.
- Make sure your child does not carry any restricted items.
- Pack enough snacks/food for your child to account for unexpected delays while ensuring no prohibited items are packed (check www.catsa.gc.ca).
- At the Airport
- Departure Airport
- Be at the departure airport (check-in counter) at least 90 minutes before departure.
- Use the Gate Pass to escort your child to the gate area.
- Remain in the gate area/airport until the flight has departed.
- Be available on the phone until your child has been received by the adult guardian designated by you at the arrival airport.
- Ensure that you and the pick-up guardian have a copy of the child’s itinerary and your/their identification papers.
- Place a baggage tag (with your name and your child’s name) both outside and inside your child’s baggage.
- Make sure your child preboards the aircraft.
- Arrival Airport
- The adult guardian designated by you must reach the arrival airport at least 30 minutes before the scheduled arrival time.
- Your child will be escorted to the arrivals area.
- The designated guardian must present their government-issued ID so that your child is released to her/him.
- Departure Airport
- Flight Interruptions
- If your child’s flight is interrupted or cancelled, your child will be boarded on priority on the next available flight. WestJet will handle all your child’s care needs, incl. transportation, food, and accommodations, as required.
Guardian Fare Program
WestJet’s Guardian Fare Program is mandatory for children travelling alone between 2 and below 12 years on most WestJet flights. For children between 12 and below 18 years of age, the service is optional. Children travelling on the Guardian Fare Program will be escorted by a Guardian who is always seated next to or near the child.
Guardian Fare Reservations. Guardian Fares can be booked by calling customer service number (open 24/7) or WestJet’s Special Care Desk (from 6.30am – 5.30pm, MST).
Guardian Fares are subject to the following conditions:
- Available on international and connecting flights.
- Mandatory for children between 2 – 11 years (inclusive) travelling alone.
- Optional for children between 12 and below 18 years travelling alone.
- The Guardian must be at least 18 years old.
- A Guardian must be assigned by you at the time of booking.
- The Guardian can be booked at 50% off the lowest available fare at the time of booking.
- You can purchase a Guardian Fare for only 1 person.
- A Guardian can travel with more than 1 child.
- You can designate 2 different people as Guardians (outbound/inbound flights).
- The Guardian’s return flight must be within 24 hours of the original flight’s departure time (without exceptions), as long as it departs at least 2 hours after the original flight lands at the destination.
WestJet does not accept Guardian Fare bookings on WestJet 787 Dreamliner flights.
Frequently Asked Questions on WestJet Unaccompanied Minors
The minimum age for Unaccompanied Minors to travel alone on WestJet is:
• 8 years on domestic flights within Canada that are non-stop and direct, i.e., not requiring a change of aircraft (under the Unaccompanied Minors Program).
• 2 years on international or connecting flights (under the Guardian Fare Program).
On domestic flights, it is mandatory for children travelling alone between the age of 8 and below 12 years to book the Unaccompanied Minor Program, as long as the flight is non-stop and direct, i.e., it does not require a change of aircraft.
On international or connecting flights, it is mandatory for children travelling alone between 2 and below 12 years to book the Guardian Fare Program, in which an adult accompanies the child on the flight.
Your child must be at least 16 years old to travel with a sibling or child passenger who is 2 years or older.
Your child must be at least 12 years old to travel with a sibling or child passenger who is 5 years or older.
The fee for unaccompanied minors on domestic flights within Canada is CAD 100 per direction.