How to cancel AirAsia flights, get refunds, and rebook
Once your flight booking is confirmed, the AirAsia cancellation policy generally does not allow ticket cancellations. But in some situations, you are allowed to cancel your flight ticket and receive a full refund. This page will show you how, and bring you up to speed with the flight cancellation charges at Air Asia, AirAsia trip cancellation insurance, how to cancel a flight on AirAsia, and more.
Can I Get a Refund if I Cancel My Flight Booking?
Can I cancel a flight and get a refund?
The AirAsia booking cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight and claim a full refund if:
- You cancel a flight to/from the U.S. or India within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket for a flight departing at least 7 days later.
- AirAsia cancels your flight altogether.
- AirAsia reschedules a flight that departs (or lands at your original destination) at least 3 hours before/after your original flight.
- You make a duplicate booking on the same flight with the same guests, and on the same date.
- You’re charged twice for the same flight booking.
- You’re denied boarding due to overbooking by AirAsia.
- Your fare conditions allow, i.e., your ticket is refundable.
AirAsia Cancellation Policy 24-Hours
AirAsia’s 24-hour cancellation policy applies to tickets booked to or from the United States and domestically within India. According to the policy, you are entitled to a full refund if you cancel a ticket within 24 hours of purchase on the condition that your flight departs at least after 7 days (168 hours) after booking.
AirAsia Booking Cancellation Policy & Refund Fee by Country
You can cancel your flight and claim a refund (partial or full) if the local laws of the country you’re flying to/from/within allow refunds, but within a stipulated time period—such as the United States, South Korea, India (domestic), and Indonesia (domestic), as explained below.
You can cancel your flight and claim a refund in the following cases:
- If you book a flight to/from the United States and cancel it within 24 hours and your flight’s departure is at least 7 days later, you are entitled to a full refund.
- If you’re travelling to/from South Korea, you are entitled to cancel your ticket and receive:
- A 100% refund if you request the refund at least 91 days before departure.
- A 90% refund if you request the refund 61 – 90 days before departure.
- An 80% refund if you request the refund 31 – 60 days before departure.
- A 70% refund if you request the refund between 3 hours and 30 days of departure.
- If you’re travelling domestically on a standard ticket within India, you can cancel your ticket at least 2 hours before departure and receive a refund after being charged a cancellation fee of:
- INR 3,500 if you cancel 0 – 3 days before departure.
- INR 3,000 if you cancel at least 4 days before departure.
- If you’re travelling domestically within Indonesia, you can cancel your ticket:
- At least 72 hours before departure and either receive a 75% refund of your ticket fare or a 100% credit for future travel on AirAsia—plus 100% of the airport tax in both cases.
- 48 – 72 hours before departure and either receive a 50% refund of your ticket fare plus 100% of the airport tax or an 85% credit for future travel on AirAsia—plus 100% of the airport tax in both cases.
- 24 – 48 hours before departure and either receive a 40% refund of your ticket fare or a 70% credit for future travel on AirAsia—plus 100% of the airport tax in both cases.
- 12 – 24 hours before departure and either receive a 30% refund of your ticket fare or a 55% credit for future travel on AirAsia—plus 100% of the airport tax in both cases.
- 4 – 12 hours before departure and either receive a 20% refund of your ticket fare or a 40% credit for future travel on AirAsia—plus 100% of the airport tax in both cases.
- Up to 4 hours before departure and either receive a 10% refund of your ticket fare or a 20% credit for future travel on AirAsia—plus 100% of the airport tax in both cases.
In most other cases, you will have to pay flight cancellation charges based on the fare conditions of your ticket.
What to Do if AirAsia Cancels Your Flight
AirAsia Refund for COVID-19
If AirAsia cancels (or has cancelled) your flight due to COVID-19, you will receive an SMS or an email at your registered email ID, offering you the option to:
- Modify your flight date at no extra charge (except the fare difference, if any), or
- Convert your flight booking into a Credit Account and redeem it within the next 3 years (from the date of issue)
- Malaysia. If you’re flying within Malaysia, you can cancel your flight and convert it to a Credit Account and redeem it within the next 730 days, as long as you pay just the applicable fare difference.
- Thailand (airline code FD)
- If your flight is booked between January 10, 2022, and February 28, 2022, with an original flight date up to June 30, 2022, you can make changes to your flight an unlimited number of times up to June 30, 2022, without being charged a flight change fee—only the applicable fare difference will be charged. You must do this at least 48 hours before your flight’s departure—either via AVA as explained below or through the Manage Booking (Manage in some countries) tab if you booked your ticket directly from AirAsia.
You can submit your refund request as follows:
- Go to AirAsia.com
- Click on the AVA icon
(it appears in the lower right corner of your screen)
- Select COVID Flight Changes from the main menu
- Choose the AirAsia cancelled My Flight option
- Select an option that suits you: AVA icon
- Credit Account, or
- Move Flight
- Follow the on-screen steps to complete your request
- When submitting your request with AVA, you must ensure that:
- Your email address matches the one you used for booking your flight.
- Your first and last name are the same as that you used for booking your flight.
- The flight dates are available on the date you want to move your flight to.
- You follow the steps exactly as suggested by AVA.
- If you booked your ticket through a travel agent (online or otherwise), you must process your request through them.
- If you have successfully submitted your request, you will receive a case number from AVA at the end of the chat. The case number will also be emailed to you. You can check the status of your request after logging in to your Big Rewards Member account and selecting the My Cases option. Due to a heavy backlog, the request can take up to 7 days to be processed.
- If you see a Declined message during/at the end of the chat, you probably did not meet the required terms and conditions.
- If you run into any problems, call +1-866-399-0587 (open 24/7), your local AirAsia office, or contact AirAsia via Twitter, Facebook, or WhatsApp.
How to Cancel a Ticket on AirAsia
Learn how to cancel a flight ticket on AirAsia
You can cancel your flight on AirAsia by phone (call +1-866-399-0587 or your country office), through the travel agent you purchased your ticket from, or online if you purchased your ticket directly through AirAsia.
How to Cancel an AirAsia Ticket Online
A screenshot of the AirAsia menu bar
To cancel your AirAsia ticket online, follow the steps below.
- Go to AirAsia.com
- Click on the Manage tab (My Bookings/Manage Booking in some countries)
- To retrieve your itinerary, enter your:
- PNR/Booking Reference No. and Name/Email ID/Mobile No., or
- Your Departure Date, Last Name, and the From and To cities
- Click on the Get Itinerary button
- Select the flight you want to cancel
- Click on the Cancel Flight button and confirm the cancellation
You will receive a message on your registered email address confirming the flight cancellation.
How to Apply for a Refund on AirAsia
To apply for a refund of your AirAsia ticket, you will first have to cancel your ticket as explained above. After that, you must submit a refund request online via AirAsia’s chatbot, AVA (see below). However, if you booked your ticket from a travel agent (except Expedia), you will have to contact the travel agent to process your refund.
To apply for a refund via AVA:
- Go to AirAsia.com
- Click on the AVA icon on the lower right side of your screen
- Click on Refund
- Select New Refund Request
- Select the name of the country as your Refund Type, such as:
- United States Refund Policy
- Indonesia Domestic Refund
- You can choose to be refunded AirAsia Credits, which you can redeem later for another flight. In such a scenario, you will receive a refund depending on your route and fare conditions. Airport taxes will be refunded in full, but cancellation charges will apply per fare conditions and when you cancel.
- You can also go for a refund through the original mode of payment by accepting a specified refund fee.
The eligible refund amount will either be credited to your original form of payment or saved for a future flight with AirAsia Credit.
AirAsia Refund Policy
What is the refund policy of AirAsia?
Your AirAsia refund will depend on the fare rules of your ticket, subject to the following conditions:
- Refunds will be made to the person in whose name the ticket appears or the person who has paid for the ticket (subject to payment proof).
- Refunds will be subject to the applicable cancellation fees and service charges.
- Refunds will be made in the same currency and manner in which the ticket was purchased.
- Refunds, penalties, and fees will be governed by the rules mentioned on the ticket.
- AirAsia may provide a refund to your Credit Account for future travel.
- Applications for refunds must be made as described in the sections above.
- For a refund of tickets booked from third parties (except Expedia), you must contact the third party directly.
- If you cancel a ticket, you can claim a refund of the airport tax and the GST (Goods and Services Tax) associated with it, provided you request it in writing within 6 months of the scheduled travel date. This may be subject to a processing fee.
AirAsia Trip Cancellation Insurance
AirAsia’s trip cancellation insurance is provided by Tune Protect, AirAsia. The insurance plan is available for purchase by all passengers flying on AirAsia flight tickets. The cancellation insurance plan will reimburse you for the full value of your ticket (up to RM 5,000, or approx.. USD 1209) if you are unable to catch your flight.
The trip cancellation insurance applies to both domestic and international flight tickets. It covers the unused and non-refundable portion of your original flight ticket and includes hotel accommodation and local tour packages.
Aside from trip cancellation, the major benefits offered by the insurance plan include (among others):
- Personal accident coverage, subject to a limit of RM 300,000 for ages 2 – 75 years on domestic and international flights, and RM 150,000 for passengers who are 76 years and older.
- Loss or damage coverage to checked baggage and/or baby stroller up to 72 hours after arrival:
- Domestic flights—up to RM 1,500, limited to RM 200 for each damaged bag and up to 400 for each lost bag.
- International flights—up to RM 5,000, limited to RM 200 for each damaged bag and up to 400 for each lost bag.
- Baggage delay coverage for every 6 consecutive hours of delay from the scheduled arrival time:
- Domestic flights—up to RM 400, at the rate of RM 200 for every 6 consecutive hours of delay.
- International flights—up to RM 800, at the rate of RM 200 for every 6 consecutive hours of delay.
- On-time guarantee coverage of up to RM 200 for a delay of more than 2 consecutive hours from the scheduled arrival time on domestic and international flights.
- Flight delay guarantee for every 6 consecutive hours of delay from the scheduled arrival time, in addition to the on-time guarantee, limited to RM 1,400 at the rate of RM 200 for every 6 consecutive hours of delay.
- Missed flight connection coverage of up to RM 600 at the rate of RM 300 for every 6 consecutive hours of delay if no connecting flight is available within 6 hours of the missed scheduled flight.
- Loss of personal money and expenses due to loss of travel documents not exceeding RM 150 for up to 72 hours upon arrival.
- Travel reroute delay exceeding 6 hours of up to RM 450, at the rate of RM 150 per 6 consecutive hours of delay.
- Hijack distress allowance coverage for delays exceeding 6 hours, limited to RM 1,000, at the rate of RM 500 per 6-hour detention.
- Home care benefits due to theft while you were away, limited to RM 1,000, up to 72 hours upon arrival.
- Medical treatment and hospitalization due to COVID-19 of up to RM 100,000 per passenger if you’re flying to any of these destinations: Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, and Myanmar.
AirAsia Ticket Cancellation Charges
What are the flight cancellation charges at AirAsia?
The AirAsia flight ticket cancellation charges for international and domestic flights are as follows:
- AirAsia Flight Cancellation Charges (AK)
- Domestic Routes within Malaysia MYR 106 per passenger per journey
- International Routes MYR 100/USD 35/INR 1,567 per passenger per journey
- AirAsia Domestic Flight Cancellation Charges—India (I5)
- Domestic Flights within India
- 0 – 3 days before departure INR 3,500 per passenger per journey
- More than 4 days before departure INR 3,000 per passenger per journey
- Domestic Flights within India
- AirAsia Domestic Flight Cancellation Charges—Japan (DJ)
- JPY 3,500 per passenger per journey
- AirAsia International Flight Cancellation Charges—Japan (DJ)
- JPY 3,700 per passenger per journey
- AirAsia Domestic Flight Cancellation Charges—Thailand (FD)
- THB 749 per passenger per journey
- AirAsia International Flight Cancellation Charges—Thailand (FD)
- THB 1,100/MYR 100/USD 35
- AirAsia Domestic Flight Cancellation Charges—Indonesia (QZ)
- IDR 242,000
- AirAsia International Flight Cancellation Charges—Indonesia (QZ)
- IDR 315,000/MYR 100/INR 1,567
- AirAsia Domestic Flight Cancellation Charges—Philippines (Z2)
- PHP 1,164.80
- AirAsia International Flight Cancellation Charges—Philippines (Z2)
- PHP 1,600/MYR 100/SGD 50
- Thai AirAsia International Flight Cancellation Charges—XJ
- THB 3,000/JPY 8,250
- AirAsia International Flight Cancellation Charges—Berhad (D7)
- MYR 300/INR 6,300/JPY 8,250/SGD 110
Note. The above-mentioned cancellation charges apply only if you cancel your ticket within the cancellation deadline indicated on your ticket, or it will be treated as a No-Show.