The WestJet name change policy requires that the name on your ticket exactly match the name that appears on your valid legal ID, such as a passport or driver’s license. If there’s a significant discrepancy between the name on your government-issued ID and the ticket, you may not be allowed to board your flight for security reasons.
Some airlines may overlook typos and minor spelling mistakes, especially if you can prove the error by showing your legal ID, but it’s not worth the risk. However, major name changes due to marriage, divorce, legal name change, etc., must be fixed before departure with the help of supporting legal documentation.
WestJet Change Name on Ticket – Points to Remember
If you want to change the name on your WestJet ticket (or correct it), remember the following:
- Name changes are chargeable but name corrections (typos, minor spelling mistakes, etc.) are free.
- Name changes and corrections must be made before flight departure, i.e., till your flight’s check-in deadline. However, to avoid last-minute problems, the sooner you fix a name change issue, the better.
- Name changes and corrections are only allowed:
- On un-flown flight segments.
- On flights operated and marketed by WestJet.
- Your ID will be verified at the gate to ensure that the name on your boarding pass is the same as that on your ID and that you resemble your photo ID. If there’s a major discrepancy, you may not be allowed to board your flight.
- Individual name changes are free if they are made within 24 hours of purchase, as long as the flight departs at least 24 hours later at the time of booking. However, name changes made after the 24-hour window are subject to a name change fee.
- Group name changes are free of charge up to 24 hours before the group’s departure. However, if you’re making a group name change within 24 hours of departure, you will be charged a name change fee of CAD/USD 75-86.25 per name change.
- Lap infants are excluded from WestJet name change policy but the accompanying adult is not.
- Name changes and corrections can be made by contacting WestJet Airlines (by phone or through a retail outlet), via direct message on Twitter, or at the airport counter before departure.
Note. WestJet will no longer deny boarding to passengers who don’t appear to be the age or gender listed on their IDs. However, their IDs will be verified to ensure that they are at least 18 years old.
WestJet Name Change Process
How to change the name on a WestJet ticket
You can change or correct the name on your ticket in any of the following ways:
- Call WestJet customer service
- Send a direct message (DM) via Twitter @WestJet
- Visit a WestJet office in your city/country
- Request at the airport counter
After you contact WestJet’s customer service, you will be asked to provide your booking reference number and personal information to verify your identity. Once confirmed, you can request a name change (or correction) on your ticket and provide the correct spelling of the new name.
Remember that name changes (not name corrections) may incur an additional fee depending on your fare type and route (refer to WestJet Name Change Fee below). It is always advisable to review the terms and conditions of your ticket before making any changes to avoid any surprises later on.
What is WestJet Name Correction Policy?
WestJet name correction policy allows you to make minor corrections to your name on a flight reservation without incurring any fees. Minor name corrections typically include:
- Spelling errors and typos
- Removal or addition of extra characters (Paull to Paul)
- Missing middle names or initials
- Incorrect name order
However, if you need to make a major change (known as a name change)—such as changing your last or full name entirely—you’ll be required to present legal documentation as proof (marriage certificate, divorce decree, court papers, old and new IDs, etc.). Plus, you will be charged a name change fee (see below).
WestJet Name Change Fees
What is the name change fee charged by WestJet?
The individual name change fees for changing the name on your ticket are shown in the table below.
Remember, this does not include minor spelling errors, typos, and obvious mistakes such as incorrect name order, missing middle names or initials, etc., which can be changed free of charge.
|WestJet Name Change Fee|
|Name Change Fee||Economy||Economy Flex||Premium||Business|
|Domestic Canada Flights||CAD/USD 100-118||CAD/USD 100-118||CAD/USD 100-118||CAD/USD 100-118|
|Canada 🡨🡪 Other Destinations (excl. Europe)||CAD/USD 100-118||CAD/USD 100-118||CAD/USD 100-118||CAD/USD 100-118|
|Canada 🡨🡪 Europe||CAD/USD 150-177||CAD/USD 150-177||CAD/USD 150-177||CAD/USD 150-177|
|Note. The name change fees will be charged in the original currency of purchase and subject to credit card exchange rates.|
WestJet Name Change Due to Marriage
WestJet offers a hassle-free way for passengers to change their name on their flight bookings in the event of a marriage (or other legal name change). The process is simple and can be done through the airline’s call center, retail office, social media (@WestJet via direct message, DM), or at the airport counter before departure. But the sooner you do it, the better, as this will ensure you’re able to board your flight without any last-minute glitches.
When requesting a name change due to marriage, divorce, etc., you must present proper legal documentation as proof, such as a marriage certificate, court order, or your updated legal photo ID. This will ensure that your travel plans are not disrupted and your booking reflects your correct legal name.
How to Change Name on a WestJet Rewards Account?
You can update your name on your WestJet Rewards account by submitting an online request with the WestJet Rewards team.
When filling out the form, be sure to provide the following information in the comments section:
- Your 9-digit WestJet Rewards ID, and
- The email address linked to your WestJet Rewards account, and
- Your mailing address
- The current name appearing on your account and the new name that you want to appear on your account
Frequently Asked Questions on WestJet Name Change Policy
The FAQ section below addresses common questions and concerns about WestJet name change policy. Whether you’re dealing with a misspelled name or a legal name change, this section will guide you through the process of updating your name on your WestJet flight reservation.
Yes, you can change the name on a WestJet ticket, as well as correct misspellings and typos. Name changes are chargeable depending on your route and travel class, but name corrections are free.
When making a name change, you must contact WestJet’s customer service team directly (or through direct message on Twitter) and provide the necessary information and documentation, such as a copy of your passport, marriage/divorce certificate, etc.
Yes, you can, subject to proper documentation as proof.
You can change or correct your last name either free of charge or for a fee, depending on when you make the change.
• Individual name changes are free of charge within 24 hours of departure, provided your flight’s departure at the time of booking is at least 24 hours later. After that, a name change fee will apply, depending on your route and fare type.
• Group name changes are complimentary up to 24 hours before the first flight’s departure, after which they are subject to a name change fee of CAD/USD 75-86.25 per name change.
Yes, you can change name on Westjet ticket. Individual name changes are free of charge within 24 hours of purchase if the ticket was purchased at least 24 hours before departure.
For group bookings of 10 or more passengers, name changes are free up to 24 hours before departure and chargeable within 24 hours of departure (CAD/USD 75-86.25 for each name change).
Remember, name corrections (typos and misspellings) are free of charge, whereas name changes are not.
You can change your name on a WestJet ticket before checking in for your flight, but it’s best to do it earlier to avoid last-minute problems.
You can change the passenger name on a WestJet ticket by phone, through a WestJet office, via Twitter direct messaging, or at the airport counter before you check in for your flight. However, the sooner you fix the problem, the better.
You can update your name on your WestJet Rewards account by contacting please contact us by submitting an online request with WestJet’s Rewards team.
When filling out the online form, be sure to provide the following information in the comments section:
• Your 9-digit WestJet Rewards ID, and
• The email address linked to your WestJet Rewards account, and
• Your mailing address
• The current name appearing on your account and the new name that you want to appear on your account