A photographic illustration of the Unaccompanied Minor service at United Airlines
According to United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy, children between 5 and 17 years can travel as unaccompanied minors after booking the service.
Below is a snapshot of United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy:
- Children between 5 – 14 years old travelling without an adult guardian or a parent on the same flight must book the Unaccompanied Minor service.
- The one-way service fee for unaccompanied minors is USD 150. This fee applies for up to 2 children who use the service.
- Children who are 15 or older are allowed to travel alone on flights operated by United Airlines and United Express.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service is only available on nonstop flights.
- The Unaccompanied Minor fee includes a seat, complimentary food (if available), and preboarding.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service can be booked by phone or online.
- To book an Unaccompanied Minor ticket online, select 0 adults and the child’s age range.
Eligibility and Conditions
- The Unaccompanied Minor service is mandatory for children between 5 to 14 years who are flying alone (i.e., without a parent, legal guardian, or an adult who is at least 18 years old).
- Unaccompanied Minors can only fly on nonstop United Airlines or United Express flights.
- The unaccompanied minor is not available for connecting flights.
- Children below 5 are not allowed to travel as unaccompanied minors.
- The unaccompanied minor is optional for children between 15 and 17 years.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service Details
- Unaccompanied Minors cannot check in online or with the mobile app.
- When you reach the airport, go to the check-in counter.
- Before Travel—At the Airport
- Meet a staff representative at the United check-in counter.
- Your child will be given a wristband, special tags, and a special envelope incl. their boarding pass, Unaccompanied Minor forms, passport, baggage claim tickets and receipts.
- The staff member will stay with your child, help with security and immigration, take your child to their seat, help with their carry-on baggage, explain the safety procedures, and point out the lavatories.
- During the Flight
- The cabin crew will make sure your child is comfortable and looked after well
- If your child is on medication, consult your physician before making your flight reservation—or consider postponing your child’s travel (the staff is not allowed to administer medication)
- At the Arrival Airport
- Arrive at least 45 minutes before the scheduled arrival time.
- For domestic U.S. flights and select international flights.
- Geta gate pass from the ticket counter.
- Show their ID at the airport.
- Proceed through security to the arrival gate to meet the child.
- Access the arrival gate and flight information from the mobile app or here.
- For other international flights requiring Customs/Immigration clearance.
- Arrive at the scheduled arrival time.
- Wait outside the Customs area at arrival.
- Show their ID at the airport.
- You/the designated adult guardian will meet your child after he/she passes through Customs.
Unaccompanied Minor Fee
The cost of the unaccompanied minor service is:
The service fee can be paid at the time of booking, later before departure, or at the airport when at the check-in counter.
|Number of Unaccompanied Minors||One-way Service Fee||Roundtrip Service Fee|
|1||USD 150||USD 300|
|2||USD 150||USD 300|
|3||USD 300||USD 600|
|4||USD 300||USD 600|
|5||USD 450||USD 900|
|6||USD 450||USD 900|
Ticketing Fees Charged by United Airlines
United Airlines will charge the following ticketing service charges:
- In the United States and Canada
- By phone USD 25
- At a city ticket office: USD 30
- In person at the Airport USD 50
- Outside the United States and Canada
- May vary based on MileagePlus travel level
The ticketing charges are non-refundable.