According to United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy, children between 5 and 17 years can travel as unaccompanied minors after booking the service.
Snapshot United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Below is a snapshot of United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy:
- Children between 5 – 14 years old travelling without an adult guardian or a parent on the same flight must book the Unaccompanied Minor service—it is mandatory for them.
- The one-way Unaccompanied Minor fee is USD 150. This fee applies to up to 2 children who use the service. Round trips cost twice as much.
- The Unaccompanied Minor fee includes a seat, complimentary food (if available), and preboarding.
- Children who are 15 years or older can travel alone on flights operated by United Airlines and United Express, or as Unaccompanied Minors (optional).
- The Unaccompanied Minor service is only available on nonstop flights.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service can be booked by phone () or online.
- To book an Unaccompanied Minor ticket online, select 0 adults and the child’s age range.
Eligibility and Conditions
- The Unaccompanied Minor service is mandatory for children between 5 to 14 years who are flying alone (i.e., without a parent, legal guardian, or an adult who is at least 18 years old).
- Unaccompanied Minors can only fly on nonstop United Airlines or United Express flights.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service is not available for connecting flights.
- Children below 5 years are not allowed to travel as Unaccompanied Minors—they must be accompanied by an adult passenger who is at least 18 years old.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service is optional for children between 15 and 17 years.
Unaccompanied Minor Service Details
- Unaccompanied Minors cannot check in online or with the mobile app.
- The parent/legal adult guardian must accompany the Unaccompanied Minor to the check-in counter.
- Before Travel—At the Airport
- Meet a staff representative at the United check-in counter.
- Your child will be given a wristband, special tags, and a special envelope incl. their boarding pass, Unaccompanied Minor forms, passport, baggage claim tickets, and receipts.
- A staff member will stay with your child, help with security and immigration, take your child to their seat, help with their carry-on baggage, explain the safety procedures, and point out the lavatories.
- During the Flight
- The cabin crew will make sure your child is comfortable and looked after well
- If your child is on medication, consult your physician before making your flight reservation—or consider postponing your child’s travel (the staff is not allowed to administer medication)
- At the Arrival Airport
- Arrive at least 45 minutes before the scheduled arrival time.
- For domestic U.S. flights and select international flights:
- Get a gate pass from the ticket counter.
- Show your ID at the airport.
- Proceed through security to the arrival gate to meet your child.
- Access the arrival gate and flight information from the mobile app.
- For other international flights requiring Customs/Immigration clearance.
- Arrive at the scheduled arrival time.
- Wait outside the Customs area at arrival.
- Show your ID at the airport.
- Meet your child after he/she passes through Customs.
How to Book the Unaccompanied Minor Service with United Airlines
You can book the Unaccompanied Minor service in 2 ways:
- By phone
(you will be charged a service fee of USD 25)
- Online via United.com
To book the Unaccompanied Minor service online:
A screenshot of the Advanced search option for booking the Unaccompanied Minor service online
- Go to United.com
- Click on the Advanced search option (shown above)
- Change the number of adults from 1 to 0
- Now select the number of children by age range (on the day of travel)
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the booking and pay
- When booking, you will also need to include the details of who will be dropping and picking up your child. If there are any changes, call United Airlines and request the representative to update this information before the departure date.
- United will make an appropriate seat selection to make sure your child gets the attention she/he needs. You’ll be able to view the seat assignment online 48 hours after booking (by accessing the booking via My trips).
- If you’re booking online, the service charge will be added when you pay for your child’s ticket. If you’re booking by phone, United will collect the charge when you pay for the ticket.
- If you or your child’s legal adult guardian are travelling together on separate reservations, the Unaccompanied Minor service is not required. Just call the United Airlines Customer Contact Center and inform them so that this information can be added to each reservation. However, your child will still be required to check in with a United Airlines representative at the airport, because children below 15 years are not allowed to check in online or with the mobile app.
Unaccompanied Minor Fee
The cost of the unaccompanied minor service at United Airlines is:
|Number of Unaccompanied Minors||One-way Service Fee||Roundtrip Service Fee|
|1||USD 150||USD 300|
|2||USD 150||USD 300|
|3||USD 300||USD 600|
|4||USD 300||USD 600|
|5||USD 450||USD 900|
|6||USD 450||USD 900|
The Unaccompanied Minor fee can be paid at the time of booking, later before departure, or at the airport when at the check-in counter.
Ticketing Fees Charged by United Airlines
United Airlines will charge the following ticketing service charges:
- In the United States and Canada
- By phone USD 25
- At a city ticket office: USD 30
- In person at the Airport USD 50
- Outside the United States and Canada
- May vary based on MileagePlus travel level
The ticketing charges are non-refundable.
FAQs on United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy & Fees, etc
The Unaccompanied Minor fee at United Airlines is USD 150 per way, and applies for up to 2 children.
Yes, Unaccompanied Minors can fly on international flights as long as they are nonstop flights.
Yes, United Airlines allows unaccompanied minors between 5 – 14 years old to travel on nonstop flights.
The Unaccompanied Minor pick up must be performed by a responsible adult whose name you designate to pick up your child at the destination airport. The person picking up your child must be a responsible adult who is at least 18 years old and whose full contact details you have provided on the Unaccompanied Minor form.
Under United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy for international flights, children between 5 – 14 years of age are allowed to travel after booking the service—but only on nonstop flights. The service is not available on connecting flights, codeshare flights, and partner airline flights.
following age restrictions apply for Unaccompanied Minors on domestic and international United Airlines flights:
• Children below 5 years are not accepted unless they are accompanied by an adult who is at least 18 years old.
• Children between 5 – 14 years can travel as Unaccompanied Minors after booking the service.
• Children between 15 – 17 years of age are allowed to travel alone on all flights operated by United Airlines and United Express.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor service is only available on nonstop flights operated by United Airlines and United Express. The service is not available for connecting flights, codeshare flights, or partner airline flights.