All Nippon Airways (ANA) offers services to children travelling alone on domestic and international flights through its ANA Junior Pilot service.
Age Requirements—ANA Junior Pilot Service
|Child’s Age||International Flights||Domestic Flights|
|Accompanying Adult(12 years or older)||ANA Junior PilotService||Accompanying Adult(12 years or older)||ANA Junior PilotService|
|4 years or less||Required||Not available||Required||Not available|
|5 years||Allowed to travel as an unaccompanied minor||Required||Required||Not available|
|6 – 7 years||Allowed to travel as an unaccompanied minor||Required||Allowed to travel as an unaccompanied minor||Required|
|8 – 11 years||Allowed to travel as an unaccompanied minor||Required||Allowed to travel as an unaccompanied minor||Not required(available on request)|
|12 – 16 years||Allowed to travel as an unaccompanied minor||Not requiredANA Airport Support available on request||Allowed to travel as an unaccompanied minor||Not available|
|Exception For unaccompanied minors travelling to/from Mexico City: The accompanying adult must be at least 18 years old. The ANA Junior Pilot service is mandatory for children between 5 – 13 years (inclusive).The parent/guardian must submit a Consent and Release Form at the airport (available on request) for children between 14 – 17 years.|
How to Book the ANA Junior Pilot Service for Unaccompanied Minors
The ANA Junior Pilot service for international flights can only be booked by phone—online bookings will not be accepted. For domestic flights, you can book the ANA Junior Pilot service online from the Reservation tab if you purchased your ticket through ANA’s website, or by phone.
- If you’re calling from anywhere in Japan, call 0570-029-709 (Tokyo 03-6741-1120) and then select 2 when the automated voice system is activated.
- If you’re calling from outside of Japan, call +1-866-399-0587 or the ANA office in your city/country.
After booking the service, download, print, and fill out the Consent and Release Form and bring it with you to the airport. This form must be submitted at the ANA check-in counter by the unaccompanied minor’s parent/guardian on the day of travel.
On the day of travel, the parent/guardian accompany the child to the airport well in advance and proceed to the ANA check-in counter.
- For domestic flights, you must go to the special assistance counter to check in—you cannot use the self-check-in kiosks. The check-in formalities must be completed at least 30 minutes before departure.
- For international flights, unaccompanied minors must be checked in at least 2 hours before departure. If travelling during the holiday season, the check-in should be even earlier.
After check-in. Once the check-in formalities are over for international flights, the unaccompanied minor will be handed over to an ANA Junior Pilot holder, who will escort the child to the aircraft cabin. The child’s relatives are allowed to accompany the child to the security checkpoint. For domestic flights, the parent/guardian must accompany the child up to the boarding gate, after which a crew member will escort the child to the aircraft’s cabin.
- If there are any chances of the flight being delayed due to bad weather, etc., the unaccompanied minor may not be allowed to board the flight.
- Unaccompanied minors are not allowed to occupy seats near emergency exits.
- An ANA crewmember will help your child with connecting flights operated by ANA. For connecting flights operated by other airlines, a parent/guardian must meet and accompany the child at the transit point to help board the connecting flight.
Arrival airport. After landing at the arrival airport, the unaccompanied child will be escorted to the arrival lobby by a crew member. The parent/guardian who will be receiving the child must produce a valid ID card and sign on the release form.
ANA Unaccompanied Minors FeeFor flights departing from Japan, no unaccompanied minors fee will be charged—only the adult fare will apply. For flights departing from other countries, the unaccompanied minors fee will vary by route.