- Children between 5–14 years can travel alone only after booking the Unaccompanied Minors service.
- The Unaccompanied Minors service is optional for children between 15–17.
- Children under 5 years must travel with adult passenger who is 18 years or older.
- The Unaccompanied Minors service must be booked (after purchasing the flight ticket) at least 24 hours in advance, either through your travel agent or the KLM Customer Contact Center.
- Vaccinations and medicine requirements must be complied with per the health advice for your destination.
Per KLM’s Unaccompanied Minors policy, children between 5 to 14 years (included) have to be booked under the Unaccompanied Minors Service if they are travelling alone.
If your child is between 15 to 17 years, the service is optional. This means if you choose not to book the service, KLM will treat your child as an adult passenger—with no escort service, flight transfer assistance, etc., even if the flight gets delayed.
How to Book the Unaccompanied Minor Service at KLM
You can book KLM’s unaccompanied minor service only in 2 ways:
- Via the KLM Customer Contact Center
- Through your travel agent
You must book the service at least 24 hours before departure. When booking the service, have all the travel details ready—plus the names and full contact details (incl. phone number) of the adult accompanying the child to the departure airport, and the adult receiving the child at the arrival airport. This information will be used to fill out the Handling Advice form to be carried by your child throughout the trip.
Guidelines for Children Travelling Alone on KLM
Check-in, documents, and formalities
Before traveling, you will need to fill out a consent form for minors. You will also have to fill out the Handling Advice form online via ‘My Trip’, or hand in 4 copies of the Handling Advice form (completed and signed) at the airport’s check-in desk, or fill out the form by hand at check-in (set aside 15-20 minutes for this).
If you check in online, you will receive a confirmation but not your boarding pass. You must collect your boarding pass from the check-in desk at the airport.
Boarding and takeoff
- The parent or adult guardian (18 years or older) must:
- Bring the child to the airport’s check-in desk at least 2.5 hours before departure.
- Bring a valid ID along.
- Remain at the airport until the child’s flight has taken off.
- A KLM staff member will board your child early.
- Your child will be looked after by KLM’s crewmembers.
- Your child will be escorted to the gate after the flight lands.
The person mentioned in the Handling Advice form should:
- Arrive early.
- Bring a photo ID.
- Wait at the arrival gate for your child.
Unaccompanied Minors Fee
KLM charges a one-way service fee as shown below. This is in addition to the price of a full adult ticket that you will have to purchase. The service fee covers up to 4 children per booking code—regardless of whether they’re related or not.
|Route||Unaccompanied Minor Service Surcharge (One-Way)|
|Direct flight within Europe||~USD 121/EUR 100|
|Direct intercontinental flight||~USD 181/EUR 150|
|From one European airport to another—via Amsterdam||~USD 242/EUR 200|
|From a European airport to an intercontinental airport—via Amsterdam (or vice versa)||~USD 303/EUR 250|
|From one intercontinental airport to another—via Amsterdam||~USD 363/EUR 300|
|Between 2 airports not including Amsterdam||~USD 121/EUR 100|
|From Amsterdam to another intercontinental airport—via a U.S. destination||~USD 303/EUR 250|
How do I book the Unaccompanied Minors service on KLM?
You can book the unaccompanied minor service (along with the flight ticket) either through KLM’s Customer Contact Center or through your travel agent. Remember, you will need to book at least 24 hours before departure.
You can get in touch with KLM by:
- The United States +1-844-903-1897.
- WhatsApp Text Message +31206490787 (open 24/7)
- Social Media
- Facebook (open 24/7)
- Messenger (open 24/7)
- Twitter (open 24/7)
Unaccompanied Minors Documentation
Before traveling, you will need to fill out these 2 forms:
- A consent form for minors
(to save time, you can download the form, fill it out, and sign on the printed copy instead of having to do it at security).
- Handling Advice form online via My Trip
(you can also fill out this form at check-in, in which case be sure to set aside at least 15 minutes for filling it out by hand).
Frequently Asked Questions on Children Travelling Alone on KLM
Submit your review