Air India requires you to travel under your correct full name (first and last names) and carry a valid photo ID as proof of identity, such as a passport or driver’s license. If the name on your flight ticket does not exactly match the name on your passport, driver’s license, or other valid ID, you may not be allowed to board your flight.
Exception. If your domestic Air India flight was cancelled or disrupted due to COVID-19 between March 15, 2020, and August 24, 2020 (now valid till December 31), you’re allowed the following two options:
- Assign your ticket to another passenger with the new passenger’s name.
- Make a free change of name per the following conditions:
- Your Air India ticket be for a domestic sector within India.
- You must request the name change at a city office in one of these metro cities:
- You must have paid for the ticket by cash or debit/credit card.
- Your ticket must be fully unused.
Air India Name Change Procedure
How to change a name on an Air India flight ticket
To change a passenger name, i.e., to correct make a name correction limited to misspellings only, or to reassign your ticket to another passenger under the above-mentioned conditions, you must contact Air India Reservations on 1-866-399-0587 or the local office in your country. Remember, you cannot change the name on an Air India ticket online.
If you’ve legally changed your name, such as after marriage or divorce, you will need to provide legal documentary evidence to support your request. In such a scenario, your ticket will have to be reissued and you will have to pay a name change fee. To get this done, you will have to contact the Air India office in your country.