Korean Air offers various options for upgrading your flight experience, depending on your needs and budget. One of the most popular Korean Air upgrade options is to upgrade to Prestige Class (the airline’s equivalent of Business Class), which offers extra legroom, spacious seats that recline fully, personalized service, and a wide range of in-flight entertainment options. Another option is to upgrade to First Class, which provides even more luxurious amenities such as private suites with doors for ultimate privacy, fine dining menus designed by top chefs, and access to exclusive airport lounges.
An Overview of the Korean Air Upgrade Program
Korean Air’s Upgrade Program is a great way for passengers to enjoy a more luxurious travel experience without breaking the bank. The program allows you to upgrade your seat to Prestige or First Class on eligible flights, subject to availability. Upgrades can be requested during or after booking or at check-in, and are available for purchase using cash, credit card, or SKYPASS miles.
Eligible flights include those operated by Korean Air and codeshare partners, except for some low-cost carriers. Passengers who participate in the Upgrade Program can enjoy a range of benefits, including access to exclusive lounges, additional baggage allowance, enhanced dining options, more comfortable seating, etc.
- Upgrade at the time of purchase. You can upgrade your flight at the time of purchasing your ticket. Only the following tickets are eligible for upgrades:
- On international flights, only Economy Flex and Prestige Plus/Flex fares can be upgraded at the time of purchase.
- On domestic flights within Korea, only Economy Flex fares can be upgraded with purchase.
- Upgrade after ticket purchase. You can also upgrade your seat after purchasing your ticket. Conditions of eligibility are the same as those above, i.e.:
- On international flights, only Economy Flex and Prestige Plus/Flex fares qualify for an upgrade post-ticket purchase.
- On domestic within-Korea flights, only Economy Flex fares qualify for an upgrade post-ticket purchase.
- Upgrade with cash/credit Card
- Upgrade with an Upgrade Award. You can use your existing miles to upgrade your ticket on all routes except North America – Guam flights through Korea.
- Eligibility. Only the following tickets can be upgraded with miles:
- J, C, Y, B, and M tickets on international flights.
- Y and M tickets on domestic flights.
- You can book an Upgrade Award online through Korean Air’s website, a service center, or a branch office, and may incur a ticket handling charge unless issued online.
- Mileage endorsements to or from registered family members and pooling of miles among registered family members (Family Plan) permitted.
- To issue Upgrade Awards at the airport with the Family Plan, you must fill out the family member registration online through Korean Air’s website, smartphone app, service center, or branch office (but not at the airport).
- The number of miles required for an Upgrade Award will depend on your travel class, membership type and level, and route. For details, use refer to the Redemption Table.
- Eligibility. Only the following tickets can be upgraded with miles:
- Upgrade on SkyTeam Airlines/partner airlines with Korean Air miles.
- Applicable itineraries include:
- Korean Air flights + a SkyTeam Airline flight, a SkyTeam Airline flight, or a SkyTeam Airline flight + another SkyTeam Airline flight.
- Upgrade Award Eligibility for SkyTeam Members
- Only cabin upgrades from Economy to Business (called Prestige Class by Korean Airlines) are permitted on normal, non-discounted fares.
- SkyTeam Upgrade Awards must include one or more international flights and are not permitted on domestic flights within Korea, or flights between cities within the U.S., Hawaii, Canada, and Mexico (as they are considered domestic).
- Applicable itineraries include:
Korean Air Economy Flex Seat Upgrade
Korean Air’s Economy Flex tickets (Y, B, M) are the highest-class economy fares. They allow seat upgrades, advance seat selection, and earn the maximum number of miles. In terms of perks, Standard Economy tickets are placed between Saver and Flex fares but do not include upgrades.
You can upgrade Economy Flex fares on international and domestic flights, both before and after purchasing your ticket.
If you’re looking to upgrade your Korean Air Economy Flex Seat, there are a few options available to you. One option is to use your frequent flyer SKYPASS miles to upgrade to a higher class of service. Another option is to pay for an upgrade before or during check-in or at the gate if seats are available.
If you do manage to secure an upgrade, you can look forward to a more comfortable and luxurious experience on board.
- An upgrade to Prestige Class includes:
- Exclusive check-in counters
- Extra baggage allowance
- Complimentary access to the Prestige Lounge
- Fully-flat bed seats
- Welcome drinks, premium meals, and wines
- Premium amenity kit, slippers, and noise-canceling headphones
- Celestial bar (A-380 flights)
- Premium Arrival shower service
- An upgrade toFirst Class includes:
- The exclusive KAL Premium Care Service, a personalized one-on-one service where you’re escorted to your boarding gate
- Exclusive check-in lounge for passengers departing from Incheon International Airport
- Dine-at-your-leisure service
- Additional baggage allowance
- Fully-flat bed seats
- Premium in-flight amenity kit with toothbrush, eye mask, and other essentials, incl. an Atelier Cologne fragrant skincare set. Passengers on long-haul flights are provided with designer comfort clothing
- Fully lie-flat seats
- Premium duvet service
- Special Korean dishes
- Premium wine and champagne service
- Premium Arrival Shower Service at The Club Olympus sauna (Grand Hyatt Incheon)
How To Upgrade a Korean Air Flight?
If you’re looking to upgrade your Korean Air flight, there are a few options available. One option is to use your frequent flyer SKYPASS miles or credit card points to upgrade to a higher class of service. Another option is to pay for an upgrade with cash/card online, by phone, or at the airport check-in counter or gate if any upgrades are available for purchase.
Remember that upgrades are subject to availability and not guaranteed. It’s always best to plan ahead and book the class of service you want when making your initial reservation to ensure the best possible experience on your Korean Air flight.
Korean Air Bid Upgrade
Korean Air has temporarily suspended its Bid Upgrade program. The program allowed passengers to bid for an upgrade to a higher class of service by submitting an offer through the airline’s website. However, with COVID-induced travel restrictions and reduced demand for air travel, Korean Air has decided to suspend the program until further notice.
The airline will continue to monitor the situation and will make an announcement when the Bid Upgrades program is once again available. In the meantime, you can still request upgrades through Korean Air’s frequent flyer program or by purchasing a higher fare class.
Korean Air Mileage Upgrade
About Korean Air Upgrade with Miles
The Korean Air Mileage Upgrade program allows passengers to upgrade their seats on Korean Air flights using their accumulated miles. This program is available to members of Korean Air’s SKYPASS frequent flyer program and offers a convenient way for travelers to enjoy a more comfortable flying experience.
With Mileage Upgrade, you can upgrade from Economy Class to Prestige Class or from Prestige Class to First Class, depending on availability. To use the program, you must have enough miles in your account to cover the cost of the upgrade and must request at least 24 hours before departure.
Korean Air mileage upgrades are subject to the following conditions:
- Eligibility. On international flights, only J, C, Y, B, and M fares can be upgraded and on domestic flights, only Y and M fares can be upgraded.
- Exceptions. Flights on the following routes cannot be booked with miles: North America – Guam flights through Korea.
- How to upgrade tickets with miles. You can upgrade award tickets online via KoreanAir.com, a KAL service center, or a branch office. You may be charged a ticket handling fee unless you upgrade online.
- You’re allowed to endorse your miles (or receive miles) from registered family members. You can pool miles among registered family members under the Family Plan.
- The number of miles you’ll require will depend on your travel class, membership type and level, and route. For details, refer to the table below.
Korean Air Business Class Upgrade with Miles
To upgrade to Business/Prestige Class on Korean Air, the number of miles required will vary depending on several factors, including your route, the time of year (peak or off-peak), and seat availability.
|Miles Required for Upgrades (Flights departing from Korea, based on one-way trips)|
|Regions of Arrival||Season||Economy to Business (Prestige)||Business (Prestige) to First|
|Europe/North America/Middle East/Oceania||Off-peak||40,000||40,000|
|NotePeak seasons vary by route and may change every year.For more information, refer to the Upgrade Award page.|
- On domestic flights, you will typically require 1,500 miles (off-peak) and 2,000 miles during the peak season to upgrade your flight.
- On international flights, you can typically expect anywhere from 10,000 to 60,000 miles for an upgrade, depending on your flight route.
However, it’s always best to check with Korean Air directly or consult their website for specific information about your flight and upgrade options. With excellent service and amenities in Business/Prestige Class, upgrading your seat can make all the difference in ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable travel experience.
How Much to Upgrade to Business (Prestige) Class on Korean Air (in miles). As shown in the table above, the number of miles you’ll need to upgrade to Business (Prestige) Class on Korean Air will depend on your route, time of travel, and which class you’re upgrading from. If you’re flying internationally, the upgrade cost (Economy to Business/Prestige) in miles can range anywhere from 10,000 to 60,000 miles depending on your route.
Business Class Upgrade Cost in Cash. The cost of upgrading to Korean Air’s Business Class (known as Prestige Class) can vary based on several factors such as route, availability, and time of year. Upgrading to Business Class by cash can be expensive because it offers a range of luxurious amenities and services including more comfortable seating, increased legroom, gourmet meals, and personalized service.
If you’re considering an upgrade to Business Class on Korean Air, it is best to check the current upgrade price online by going through the booking process (you’ll be offered the option to upgrade before paying). Alternatively, you can call your travel agent or a Korean Airlines booking office or call center directly to get a better idea of the cost and benefits associated with this type of upgrade.
Korean Air First Class Upgrade
How does Korean Air’s upgrade to First Class work?
As with most airlines, the number of miles needed to upgrade to First Class on Korean Air will depend on your route, fare class, time of travel, and availability. Generally speaking, you can expect to need anywhere from 12,500 to 60,000 miles for a one-way upgrade. The best way to determine the exact number of miles you need is to refer to the Upgrade Award page or check with Korean Air directly.
Cash upgrade to First Class
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to how much money you need to upgrade to First Class on Korean Air. The cost of an upgrade will depend on your route, travel class, the time of year, and availability of First Class seats. Upgrading to First Class can be quite expensive, with prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars depending on the length of your flight and other factors.
You can check the prevailing upgrade prices online by booking your flight through the homepage. When you reach the payment pages, you’ll be shown the upgrade prices in cash before paying. You can also check the cash upgrade price with your travel agent or a KAL booking office/call center.
Korean Air Upgrade to Business/Prestige Class
How does Korean Air upgrade to Prestige Class work?
If you’re looking to upgrade your Korean Air flight to Business Class (Prestige Class), there are a few options available to you. First, you can check if there are any available upgrades available—online, by phone, or when you check in for your flight. This may be possible if there are unsold seats in the Business Class (Prestige Class) cabin. You can also inquire about upgrading at the gate before your flight departs.
Another option is to use your frequent flyer miles or credit card points to upgrade. Korean Air’s SKYPASS program allows members to use miles to upgrade their seat class, and some credit cards offer rewards that can be redeemed for airline upgrades.
Lastly, you can contact Korean Air directly and inquire about upgrading your ticket. They may be able to offer you a deal or provide more information on available options.
Korean Air SKYPASS Upgrade
Korean Air’s SKYPASS program offers a range of benefits to frequent flyers, including the ability to upgrade to higher classes of service. With SKYPASS upgrades, you can enjoy all the perks of Business (Prestige Class) or First Class, provided you’ve booked an Economy Flex ticket.
You can make a SKYPASS upgrade with miles, cash, cash + miles if seats are available, subject to certain restrictions. If you have achieved elite status in the SKYPASS program, you may be eligible for a complimentary upgrade based on your membership level and other factors.
The number of miles you’ll require to upgrade will depend on your fare class, membership status, and route.
Korean Air Upgrade at the Airport
Korean Air Upgrade at the airport is a service that allows passengers to upgrade their seats at the airport, subject to availability. You can make an upgrade request at check-in or the gate, and if there are seats available in the higher class, you will be offered an upgrade for a fee. The fee for your seat upgrade will depend on your route, travel class, and seat availability. The cost of the upgrade will be charged to your credit card unless you pay cash at the airport.
Frequently Asked Questions on Korean Air Upgrade
Upgrading your flight experience is an exciting decision, but you may have some questions about the process. This FAQs section on Korean Air Upgrade is designed to provide you with some of the most important information you need to know about upgrading your seat on Korean Air.
Yes, you can use Delta SkyMiles to upgrade on Korean Air flights. However, certain criteria must be met to be eligible for an upgrade. First, the flight must be marketed and operated by Korean Air. Second, the ticket must be purchased through Delta or a Delta-approved booking channel. Third, the fare class must be eligible for upgrades using miles. Finally, there must be upgrade availability on the desired flight. If all of these conditions are met, then you can use your Delta SkyMiles to upgrade your seat on a Korean Air flight and enjoy a more comfortable and luxurious travel experience.
Yes, Korean Air allows you to pay the difference in fares to upgrade your seat. However, certain conditions apply. You must have a ticket that is eligible for upgrades, and the availability of upgrades will depend on the class of service originally booked by you. Additionally, you must pay additional fees or taxes when upgrading your seat.
It’s important to check Korean Air’s policies and restrictions before attempting to upgrade your seat, as some fares (Standard Economy and Economy Saver) may not be eligible for upgrades.
Upgrading codeshare flight tickets on Korean Air can be a bit tricky. While it is possible to upgrade codeshare flights operated by Korean Air, the rules and restrictions for doing so can vary depending on the airline or travel agency that issued your ticket. In most cases, you will need to contact the issuing airline or travel agency directly to inquire about upgrades and to see if they are available for your particular flight. It is also important to note that upgrades are subject to availability and come with additional fees or restrictions.
If you’re upgrading with your Korean Airlines miles:
• Your itinerary can only include a Korean Air flight plus an eligible SkyTeam/partner Airline flight, an eligible SkyTeam/partner Airline flight, and two different but eligible SkyTeam/Partner Airline flights. Plus, you can upgrade only standard and non-discounted fares from Economy to Prestige/Business Class.
• Your itinerary must comprise at least one international flight.
• Your itinerary cannot include flights within the United States, Canada, Hawaii, or Mexico.
Korean Air does not provide free upgrades to Prestige Class, unless in exceptional circumstances. However, you can use your miles to get a “free” or purchase an upgrade at the airport if there are seats available on your flight.
Yes, Korean Air does offer upgrades to Business Class (Prestige Class), but it depends on several factors such as availability and the fare class of the original ticket (only Economy Flex fares can be upgraded but not Standard and Saver Economy fares).
You can make an upgrade request online or by phone, as well as at the airport check-in counter, although these upgrades are subject to availability. Additionally, Korean Air’s frequent flyer program, SKYPASS, offers you the opportunity to use your miles to upgrade your seat. It is always best to check with Korean Air directly or your travel agent for more information on the specific requirements and options for upgrading to Business Class (Prestige Class).
You can upgrade your Korean Air flight using cash/card, your SKYPASS miles, or your credit card points (if eligible). You can make the upgrade online via KoreanAir.com, the mobile app, or by contacting a service center or a branch office.
While Korean Air does not offer free upgrades to Business Class (known as Prestige Class), there are several ways to increase your chances of securing an upgrade. One option is to use your frequent flyer SKYPASS miles to upgrade your ticket, where you don’t have to pay anything for an upgrade if you have enough miles. You can also purchase an economy class ticket with a “flexible” fare, which may increase your chances of getting upgraded if there are available seats in Business/Prestige Class. It’s important to note that upgrades are not guaranteed and depend on various factors such as availability and demand.