To handle the massive flight disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, British Airways’ change flight policy has extended its travel-by dates, which means can postpone your travel plans dates without any penalty.
British Airways Change Flight Policy and Rebooking Options
British Airways’ change flight policy allows you to choose from the following rebooking options:
- If your flight is due to be completed by September 30, 2022, you can apply for a voucher to cancel your trip and rebook it within the next 12 months to complete your travel by September 30, 2023. After you apply for the voucher:
- BA will email the voucher to you
- BA will cancel your current booking for you
- You must use the voucher to complete your trip by September 30, 2023
- You can change your travel date and/or destination
- The voucher’s value will be equal to the value of your booking
- When you rebook with your voucher:
- You will not be charged any change fee
- You will have to pay the applicable difference in fares
- If you booked your ticket before June 7, 2022, for a flight due to be completed by September 30, 2022:
- You can make a one-time change to your flight without paying any change fee (but fare differences will apply).
- Subsequent flight changes will incur a change fee based on the standard fare rules of your new trip.
- If you made a booking before June 7, 2022, for a Reward Flight, Avios Reward Flight Saver, Companion, or Gold Upgrade Voucher, and you complete your travel by September 30, 2022, and you didn’t make any changes from June 8, 2022, onwards, you can cancel your booking without being charged any cancellation fee. However, any changes made after June 8, 2022, be subject to the regular fare rules of the new trip.
- If you booked your ticket through a travel agent, you must contact them directly to process your flight change request and choose a suitable rebooking option.
- If your flight is cancelled or delayed by at least 5 hours, or it causes you to miss a connecting flight on which you have a confirmed reservation, you can:
- Choose to travel on the next available flight in the same travel class as your original flight at no additional charge, or have the validity period of your ticket extended.
- Travel later at a convenient date in the same class of service as the original flight, as long as it is within the validity period of your ticket (at no additional charge).
- Cancel and refund your flight without penalty.
Terms and Conditions of BA’s Change Flight Policy
The major terms and conditions of the British Airways flight change policy are as follows:
- The airline’s change flight policy applies only to tickets with a travel completion date of September 30, 2022.
- The validity of an existing voucher will be extended automatically and you will be notified about the details of the new voucher soon.
- You must have booked your ticket directly with British Airways (website, call center, or BA’s trade outlet).
- The flight change policy does not apply to Sun-Air tickets.
- The flight change policy applies only to British Airways tickets.
- Requests for date changes and/or travel vouchers must be made before check-in closes.
- If your new ticket is costlier, you must pay the fare difference.
- Travel vouchers are non-refundable and can only be used for:
- Booking flight tickets on British Airways.
- Booking British Airways Holidays, with at least 7 days’ notice for hotel reservations.
- Travel vouchers partly paid with Avios points cannot be used for a flight-only booking.
- Both departure and return trips booked with travel vouchers must be completed by September 30, 2023.
- Travel vouchers can be used both toward part or full payment for booking a new ticket.
British Airways Flight Change Deadline
British Airways has extended the validity of flights due to be completed by September 30, 2022, to September 30, 2023. This means:
- The validity of your ticket has been automatically extended till September 30, 2023.
- You can change your travel dates and destinations without being charged a change fee.
- If your new ticket is costlier, you must pay the fare difference.
British Airways Flight Change Fee
What is British Airways’ change of flight fee per passenger?
British Airways will not charge any change fee (for most short-haul fares) if you make the changes online, but you must pay the applicable fare difference between the original and new fares. However, if you make the changes by phone or at the airport, you will be charged.
- Online flight change fee Free (most short-haul routes)
- Change fee by phone USD 25 (plus the applicable fare difference)
- Change fee at the airport USD 35 (plus the applicable fare difference)
How to Change a Flight on British Airways
You can change a British Airways flight date, time, and destination by phone (1-866-399-0587) or online.
Note. You can change your British Airways flight online only if you booked your ticket directly through BA’s website, call center, or sales office. If you booked from a third party, you must contact them directly.
To change your British Airways flight date and/or time online:
- Go to BritishAirways.com
- Click on Manage My Booking (it appears below the booking box)
- Retrieve your flight booking as follows:
- Enter your booking reference and last name
- Click on the Continue button
- Select the flight you want to make changes to
- Click on Change/Cancel Booking
- Make the necessary changes
- Follow the prompts to complete your new flight booking
British Airways Change Flight Telephone Number
You can make changes to your flight by calling British Airways’ change flight phone number on this website via +1-866-399-0587. The phone lines are open 24/7.
British Airways Change Flight 24-Hour Solution
If you purchased a ticket directly from British Airways and you notice a mistake, the best way out is to cancel your flight booking within 24 hours (without penalty), claim a full refund, and then rebook your ticket correctly.
You can claim your refund under such circumstances only by calling British Airways unless you booked your flight with Avios (in which case you can manage the refund online).
British Airways Change Flight Policy Due to Death or Severe Illness
If a passenger or the passenger’s family member or close relative falls seriously ill, or a passenger’s family member or close relative dies, British Airways may:
- In case of illness, extend the ticket’s validity period.
- In case of death, extend the validity of the ticket by up to 45 days.
British Airways Same-Day Change Fee
According to British Airways change flight policy:
- No same-day change fee will apply for domestic short-haul flights.
- The same-day change fee for long-haul international flights will depend on the travel class and fare type.
- A minimum 1-hour notice is required to make a same-day flight change.
- Free same-day flight changes are not allowed on itineraries with connecting flights.
- Same-day flight changes must be made on the same route and between the same airports booked earlier.
- Same-day flight changes cannot be made if you’ve already checked in for your flight.
- Fare differences, if any, will apply.
How to Change a Return Flight on British Airways
You can change your return flight date on British Airways by phone or online.
To change your return flight by phone, call the British Airways office in your area and request the flight change. You can change your return flight online from British Airways’ website via the Manage My Booking option. After clicking on this tab (it appears below the booking box), retrieve your flight by entering your booking reference and last name, select it and click on Change/Cancel Booking, and change your return flight’s date.