A screenshot showing Frontier Airlines’ baggage size
If you’re travelling on Frontier Airlines, you will be charged baggage fees for your carry-on and checked baggage items. However, you can bring 1 personal carry-on item free of charge. For bringing a larger carry-on bag, you will be charged a baggage fee—unless you’ve purchased the WORKS or PERKS bundle, or you’re a Frontier Miles Elite member.
An Overview of Frontier Airlines’ Baggage Policy
What is the baggage policy of Frontier Airlines?
Below are the main highlights of Frontier Airlines baggage info:
- The earlier you purchase your carry-on or checked baggage allowance, the less baggage fees you will have to pay.
- Checked bags exceeding 62in/157.4cm (Length + Width + Height) and 40lb/18.1kg will be charged an oversized and overweight baggage fee. Bags exceeding 110in/279cm in combined dimensions or 110lb/46kg (70lb for Canada) will not be permitted.
- Carry-on bags must not measure more than 10in in depth, 16in in width, and 24in in height, and 35lb/15.8kg in weight. Plus, it should fit in the cabin baggage space allotted to you (overhead bin or under the front seat).
- The personal carry-on bag must not measure more than 8in in depth, 18in in width, and 14in in height.
- All bags must be checked no less than 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 60 minutes before departure for international flights.
- Assistive devices such as a wheelchair, crutches, braces, etc., and child restraint systems and strollers can be carried free of charge (if used). There’s no limit to the number of mobility aids a passenger can check in, but for the baggage fees to be waived, the assistive devices must be packed separately in protective packaging.
- Passengers who have purchased the WORKS or PERKS bundles and select Frontier Miles Elite members can bring 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag for free.
- Military personnel on duty, those travelling in uniform, and reservists travelling on orders are allowed 2 bags free of charge—and enjoy an overweight and oversize fee waiver on the first two bags.
- You can pay the standard baggage fees online, by phone, or at the airport—but overweight and oversize baggage fees (both charged separately) can only be paid at the airport.
- Frontier Airlines baggage fees apply for each trip, meaning that you’ll have to pay twice the baggage fee for a round trip.
Does Frontier Airlines charge for baggage?
According to Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy, you can carry the baggage items below either for free or for a fee:
|The following baggage items can be carried FREE of charge||The following baggage items will incur a baggage fee|
|1 personal carry-on itemStroller, car seat, and diaper bag for childrenAssistive devices/mobility aids||1 Carry-on Bag—paid, subject to applicable feesChecked Bags—paid, subject to applicable fees Sports equipment—paid, subject to applicable feesMusical instruments—paid, subject to applicable fees|
|Exception. If you’ve purchased the WORKS or the PERKS bundle, or if you’re a Frontier Miles Elite member, you’re eligible to bring 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag for free.|
Frontier Airlines Baggage Rules—Carry-on Baggage
What are Frontier Airlines’ rules for carry-on baggage?
A screenshot showing Frontier Airlines’ personal and carry-on baggage dimensions
According to Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy, you must pay for your carry-on baggage unless you’ve purchased the WORKS or PERKS bundle or hold Frontier Miles Elite status. Frontier Airlines’ baggage rules allow all passengers to carry 1 personal item—such as a purse, small briefcase, or laptop bag—free of charge.
Carry-on Baggage Guidelines
What are the Frontier Airlines baggage size/weight requirements for carry-on bags?
Frontier Airlines’ baggage sizes and specifications are as follows:
- 1 FREE Personal Carry-on Item—Purse, Briefcase, or Laptop Bag
- Max. size 36 x 46 x 20cm i.e., 14 x 18 x 8in
(height x width x depth)
- Max. weight Must fit under your front seat.
- 1 PAID Carry-on Bag (optional)—Backpacks, Small Duffel Bags, or Suitcases
(included in the WORKS and PERKS bundles)
- Max. size 61 x 41 x 25cm, i.e., 24 x 16 x 10in (height x width x depth)
- Max. weight 35lb/15.88kg
Must fit under your front seat/overhead bin
The following baggage rules also apply:
- Handles, wheels, and straps count toward the bag size.
- Frontier Miles members (Elite 20k and 50k) are permitted to bring a carry-on bag FREE of charge.
- Passengers who have purchased the WORKS or PERKS bundle are also entitled to a FREE carry-on bag.
- You will have to pay extra if your carry-on bag exceeds the permissible dimensions/weight.
Frontier Airlines Carry-on Baggage Fees
What are Frontier Airlines’ carry-on baggage charges in 2022?
Frontier Airlines’ carry-on baggage fees depend on your route, fare type, how (online/offline), and when you purchase your ticket. The baggage fees are lowest at the time of booking and keep increasing thereafter.
|Frontier Airlines Baggage Fee Details—Carry-on Bags|
|Mode and Time of Purchase||Carry-on Baggage Fee|
|Online—when booking||~USD 37–39|
|Online—up to 24 hours before departure||~USD 40–42|
|During check-in—online/mobile||~USD 43|
|By phone (call center)||~USD 53–55|
|Airport kiosk/counter check-in||~USD 55|
|Airport Gate||~USD 60|
|NoteIf you book The Works bundle, you can bring a free carry-on bag.If you reach the departure gate with a carry-on bag exceeding your baggage allowance, it will incur an additional fee and be checked in as hold luggage.Baggage fee refunds are not possible (unless your flight is cancelled).|
Frontier Airlines Baggage Rules—Checked Baggage
What are Frontier Airlines’ rules for baggage (checked baggage)?
According to Frontier Airlines’ checked baggage policy, baggage fees are route, time, and platform-dependent (online/offline/phone). Frontier Airlines’ baggage rules state that all tickets will incur a baggage fee—except WORKS and PERKS bundles and passengers holding Elite membership status on Frontier Miles.
You can pay your baggage fee at the time of booking (cheapest), after booking (website/mobile app/phone), when you check-in online within 24 hours of your travel date, at the airport kiosk/check-in counter, or departure gate (costliest).
Baggage Size/Weight Requirements. The total combined dimensions (Length + Width + Height) of a bag must not exceed 62in/157.4cm and the maximum weight must not exceed 40lb/18.1kg. Bags exceeding the size and weight limits will incur an oversize and/or overweight baggage fee.
For a domestic flight, you must check in your bags no less than 45 minutes before departure, and for an international flight, you must check in your bags at least 60 minutes before departure.
Per Frontier Airlines baggage rules, all checked bags are subject to the following limitations:
- 1 PAID Checked Bag (optional)
(included in the WORKS and PERKS bundles)
- Max. size 62in/157.4cm (length + width + depth)
- Max. weight 40lbs/18.1kg
- FREE Special Items for Children
- Stroller and car seat
- Diaper bag
- PAID Special Items
- Subject to checked baggage and overweight fees—but not oversize fees.
- Applies to:
- Golf equipment
- Subject to checked baggage, overweight, and oversize fees.
- Applies to:
- Other sporting equipment, such as:
- For fishing, bowling, archery, hang gliding, lacrosse, hockey, kayaking, paintballing, scuba gear, surfboards, windsurfing, parachutes, etc.
- Musical instruments
- Other sporting equipment, such as:
Other baggage rules that apply are as follows:
- The bag size includes handles, wheels, and straps.
- Frontier Miles members (Elite 20k and 50k) are entitled to a FREE carry-on bag.
- Bundles fares (WORKS and PERKS) and Elite 100k members are entitled to:
- 1 FREE carry-on bag
- 1 FREE checked bag
- Bags weighing 100lb (45kg) or more or exceeding 110in in combined dimensions (except musical instruments and assistive devices) will not be accepted.
Additional Items Allowed on Board
According to Frontier Airlines baggage rules, all passengers are allowed to carry any ONE of the following items FREE over and above their free personal carry-on item:
- Coat and jacket
- Diaper bag (for infants)
- Assistive devices like a wheelchair, cane, crutches, respiratory devices, portable oxygen concentrators (POCs), etc.
- Foot rug for prayers
Frontier Airlines Checked Baggage Fees in 2022
What are Frontier Airlines’ baggage charges for checked bags?
Frontier Airlines checked baggage fees depend on several factors—such as your route, fare type, frequent flyer status, whether you’re an active U.S. military personnel or dependent, your status with an affiliate carrier, and if you have a Frontier sponsored credit/charge card.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Calculator. Frontier Airlines recommends using their online bag price checker to know the exact baggage fee. Based on our research, we found that one-way baggage fees for checked bags on domestic and international flights are approximately as follows:
|Frontier Airlines Baggage Fee Details—Checked Bags|
|Mode and Time of Purchase||Standard Checked Baggage Fees(up to 40lb/18.1kg)|
|Bag #1||Bag #2||Bag #3+|
|Online—when booking||USD 32–37||USD 34–50||USD 85|
|Online—up to 24 hours before departure||USD 38–45||USD 45–50||USD 85|
|By phone (call center)||USD 55||USD 55||USD 95|
|During check-in—online/mobile||USD 40–46||USD 55||USD 90|
|Airport kiosk/check-in counter||USD 50||USD 55||USD 95|
|NoteThe WORKS and PERKS bundles include 1 carry-on bag and 1 checked bag per passenger (in addition to 1 free personal carry-on item). Active-duty military personnel are entitled to carry: 1 FREE personal item1 FREE carry-on bag2 FREE checked bagsFor active military duty personnel (only), oversize and overweight baggage fees do not apply for the first two checked bags. Baggage fee refunds are not possible unless your flight is cancelled.|
Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees—Excess Baggage
|Overweight Baggage Fees|
(per bag per direction)
|41 – 50lb||USD 50|
|51 – 100lb||USD 100|
(> 70lb for Canada)
|Oversized Baggage Fee|
(per bag per direction)
|63 – 110in||USD 75|
|> 110in||Not accepted|
Per Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy and baggage rules:
- You must pay the baggage fees for overweight and oversized bags at the airport.
- If you qualify for a baggage fee waiver (for certain sports items, mobility aids, military personnel, etc.), the implementation of the waiver can only be done at the airport.
- If your bag is overweight and oversized, you will be charged multiple fees. For example, if your checked bag exceeds 40lb/18.1kg in weight and 62in/157.4cm in combined dimensions, you will be charged an overweight baggage fee plus an oversized baggage fee.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees for Overweight Bags
According to Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy:
- If your checked bag weighs between 41–100lb (18.1–45kg), it is oversized.
- If your checked bag is overweight, you will be charged:
- USD 50 if your bag weighs 41 – 50lb.
- USD 100 if your bag weighs 51 – 100lb.
- If your checked bag exceeds 100lb/45kg (70lb for Canada), it will not be accepted.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees for Oversize Bags
Per Frontier Airlines baggage policy:
- If your checked bag’s total dimensions are between 62–110in (157.4–279cm), it is oversized, and if the dimensions exceed 110in (279cm), your bag will not be accepted.
- If your checked bag is oversized, you will be charged USD 75 as oversized baggage fees.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Allowance for Lap Infants
If you’re travelling with a lap infant (i.e., a child aged 7 days to below 2 years), you will be allowed to bring an additional personal item (such as a diaper bag)—plus a collapsible stroller and a car seat free of charge.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Allowance for Ticketed Infants and Children
Children aged 2 years and above must travel on a paid seat. Their free baggage allowance is the same as that of the accompanying adult (1 personal item) plus a collapsible stroller and a car seat free of charge.
Frontier Airlines Additional Baggage Allowance—Frontier Miles Elite Members
Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy grants an additional baggage allowance to Frontier Miles Elite status members.
- Frontier Miles Elite 20k and 50k members are entitled to bring 1 carry-on bag free.
(earned by accumulating 20,000/50,000 qualifying miles or 25/50 flight segments in a year respectively)
- Frontier Miles Elite 100K members are entitled to bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 checked bag free. (earned by accumulating 100,000 qualifying miles or 100 flight segments in a year)
Frontier Airlines Military Baggage Policy
Does Frontier Airlines charge the military for baggage?
Per Frontier Airlines’ military baggage policy, active-duty armed forces personnel, reserves, and national guard are entitled to a free baggage allowance after presenting a Common Access Card (CAC).
The baggage allowance for military personnel includes:
- 1 free personal item
- 1 free carry-on bag
- 2 free checked bags
Fee waiver. Per Frontier Airlines’ baggage rules, active-duty armed forces personnel are additionally entitled to overweight and oversize baggage fee waivers for the first two checked bags. However, this waiver only applies to military personnel on active duty—and not their family members.
Military personnel who qualify cannot add their baggage online—they must check in their baggage at the airport and present the CAC for the fee waiver to apply.
How to Reduce Baggage Cost on Frontier Airlines
It’s hard to avoid baggage fees on Frontier Airlines because of the company’s business model. However, there are a few ways to save money.
- Pay for your baggage upfront. The easiest way to reduce your Frontier Airlines baggage fees is to book your bags at checkout when purchasing your airfare. Frontier clearly states on its website that booking your baggage right away will save you money. Booking a bag at checkout can save you as much as USD 30 compared to booking it at the gate.
A screenshot showing that Frontier’s baggage fees are cheapest (best value) when purchased online at the time of booking.
- Buy a Bundle Fare. Purchasing one of Frontier’s Bundles or upgrading to it will include a carry-on or checked bag, depending on what Bundle you choose. The Works bundle (available only during initial purchase) includes both a carry-on and checked bag—along with priority boarding, flight flexibility, 100% refundability, and seat selection.
The Perks bundle (you can upgrade to it later) includes a carry-on bag and checked bag plus seat selection, but does not offer flight flexibility and is not refundable.
A screenshot of Frontier Airlines’ Bundled fares that include baggage charges. Courtesy: Frontier Airlines
If you purchase a traditional standard fare, you will need to pay for bags, seat selection, etc., which are costlier when purchased individually.
- Use one of these credit cards to get your checked baggage fee reimbursed:
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card. The card comes without any annual fee and offers a 20,000-mile bonus if you spend USD 500 within the first 3 months. You can use your miles to pay off any travel purchases, such as your baggage fees.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. This card offers a 75,000-mile bonus if you spend USD 4,000 within the first 3 months. You can redeem your miles to pay off your baggage fees (or make other travel purchases), or transfer your miles to more than 15 other loyalty programs if you wish.
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card. This card also offers a 75,000-mile bonus for spending USD 4,000 within the first 3 months of account opening. Plus, it offers up to USD 300 in statement credits if you book through Capital One Travel—along with 10,000 bonus miles to the value of USD 100 every year after you complete 1 year.
- Use your military status (if you have one). If you’re a member of the military with valid military documentation, you’re entitled to bring 1 carry-on bag and 2 checked bags free of charge on any Frontier Airlines flight. Remember, this program applies only to active-duty military members, and not their families or travel companions.
How to Check Baggage Prices on Frontier Airlines
How do I check the Frontier Airlines baggage cost?
You can check Frontier Airlines’ baggage prices in several ways:
- By phone (+1-866-399-0587)
- The mobile app
- At the airport (costliest)
Frontier Airlines Sports Equipment Policy
Per Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy for sports equipment:
- Regular baggage rules apply—you can carry your sports equipment as carry-on or checked baggage items, subject to the standard baggage fees applicable to your fare.
- Overweight and oversized baggage fees will apply if your sports gear exceeds the weight and/or size limits.
- The sports baggage fee for bicycles is USD 75 and USD 100 for antlers.
- No oversize baggage fees will apply to sporting equipment for skis (water and snow), snowboards, and hockey—but checked baggage and overweight fees will apply. Boot bags for skis and snowboards exceeding 25lb will be treated as a second bag and must be paid for.
- All sporting equipment must be packed in protective containers specifically designed for them.
Some of the sports equipment you can carry on Frontier Airlines are:
|Bicycles Bows and arrows Bike balls and ball pumps Bowling balls and shoes Camping equipment TentsBackpacksSleeping bagsKnapsacks Fishing equipment (1 bag)RodsReelsLanding netsFishing bootsTackleboxKnee defenders Kayak and canoe||Tennis racketsFencing equipment SwordsMasksOutfitShoesCablesToolkitGlovesBreastplates/cup protectorsGolf equipment1 bag incl. golf clubs and shoes Hang gliding equipmentHockey equipmentKiteboards||FirearmsHandgunsShotgunsBB gunsCompressed air gunsPaintball gunsLacrosse equipmentPaintball equipmentParachutesScuba gearsSkis SkatesSkateboardsSnowboardsSurfboardsWindsurfing equipment|
Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POCs)
Frontier Airlines baggage policy lays out the following rules for passengers traveling with Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POCs) that they intend to use onboard:
- You can carry your POC free of charge (if using).
- Only FAA-approved POCs are allowed.
- The passenger must fill out and carry a signed copy of the Frontier Portable Oxygen Concentrator Medical Authorization Form or obtain a medical statement from their physician.
- Bring your own batteries to power your POC.
- The batteries of your POC must be fully charged to power it for at least 150% of the flight’s duration.
- You must carry your spare batteries in your carry-on baggage and pack them properly to protect them from damage and short-circuiting.
- You cannot use the aircraft’s power outlets.
CPAPs and other Medical Devices
Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy allows passengers to carry (and use on the aircraft) battery-powered respiratory devices such as ventilators, respirators, and CPAP machines free of charge. However, the devices must bear a label stating that they meet the FAA requirements and are approved for use on aircraft.
Points to remember
- No medical authorization is required for carrying respiratory devices.
- Bring your own batteries to power your respiratory device.
- Your device’s batteries must be fully charged to power it for at least 150% of your flight’s duration, incl. ground connection time and unexpected delays.
- Carry spare batteries in your carry-on baggage and pack them in such a manner that they are protected from damage and short-circuiting.
- The aircraft’s power outlets are not available for use.
For details, refer to www.tsa.gov for devices you can or cannot carry.
How to Pay Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees
How to buy baggage on Frontier Airlines
A screenshot showing the different ways of paying Frontier Airlines’ baggage fees
You can pay your Frontier Airlines baggage fee online or by phone—at the time of booking (cheapest), after booking (via the website, mobile app, or phone), when you check-in online within 24 hours of your flight’s departure, at the airport kiosk/check-in counter, or the departure gate (costliest).
Purchasing baggage in advance at the time of booking can save you up to 50%.
How to pay for baggage online
To know the bag prices and purchase baggage online:
- Go to Manage Trip
- To access your flight, select Review/Change
- Enter your last name and flight confirmation code in the boxes
- Hit Search
- Select your flight
- Click on the Add Baggage link
- Purchase your baggage and pay
Note. You can also buy baggage online via the My Trip/Check-In tab on the homepage or the mobile app.
Frontier Airlines Musical Instruments Policy
Per Frontier Airlines’ musical instruments policy:
- Musical instruments can be brought as cabin baggage, checked baggage, or on a paid seat.
- Musical instruments must not exceed the weight and size limits of your fare option.
- Overweight and oversize musical instruments will be charged for extra weight and size.
- Larger musical instruments can be checked in or carried on a paid seat as Cabin-Seat baggage.
- Musical instruments must be packed in a hard case with adequate cushioning material specifically designed for them.
- Musical Instrument as Carry-on Baggage
Passengers can carry small musical instruments (violin, flute, guitar, cymbals, etc.) if they fit in the overhead bin, subject to availability at the time of boarding. The musical instrument can exceed the carry-on baggage dimensions—but it must fit in the overhead bin. Otherwise, it will be gate-checked and delivered later.
- Musical Instrument as Checked Baggage
Larger musical instruments that don’t in the overhead bin can be brought as checked baggage, provided the weight doesn’t exceed 100lb/45.45kg and the musical instrument is properly packed in a hard case with adequate cushioning to prevent damage.
- Musical Instrument on a Paid Seat (Cabin-Seat Baggage)
If your musical instrument does not fit in the overhead bin or is too fragile to be carried as checked baggage, you can carry it as a Cabin-Seat baggage item by purchasing an additional seat for it. The instrument must be booked in advance and must meet the following conditions:
- The full fare will apply—but without any carry-on baggage allowance.
- Must be securely covered/packed to avoid injury to passengers and crew.
- Must be carried aboard by the passenger.
- The maximum dimensions are as follows:
- Height 144.78cm/57in
- Width 45.31ccm/17.84in
- Depth 23.62cm/9.3in
- The maximum weight must not exceed 100lb/45.45kg.
- Must not obstruct access to emergency exits, aisle, or cabin.
- Must not block any passenger’s view of aircraft signage, such as No Smoking, Seatbelt On/Off, etc.
- Must be safely secured with a seatbelt/approved method.
- Must not contain prohibited or dangerous items.
- Frontier will assign an appropriate seat as some seats may not be appropriate.
Frontier Airlines Lost Baggage
What should I do if my baggage is lost, delayed, or missing?
If your checked baggage does not arrive, you must:
- Report your missing bag to a Frontier Airlines representative if you’re still at the airport.
- Fill out the Delayed Baggage Form.
If you can’t locate a Frontier Airlines representative at the airport:
- Call the Baggage Office at +1-800-401-9000.
- Say ‘Baggage’ and after being prompted, say ‘issue with bag’.
- Follow the prompts to file your report.
You must report:
- Delayed checked baggage within 4 hours of arrival.
- Missing items from your checked baggage within 24 hours of arrival.
What to Do If Your Unchecked Item is Missing on Frontier Airlines
If an item from your carry-on bag is missing, you will need to file a lost item report.
- After you file the report, a lost item report number will be sent to you via email.
- You will be notified via email if your item is located.
- If your item is not located within 30 days, the lost item report will be closed.
How to Report Damage to a Bag or Contents on Frontier Airlines
If your checked baggage arrives in a damaged condition:
- Notify a Frontier Airlines representative at the airport—but no later than 4 hours of your arrival.
- If you didn’t report the damage:
- Call the Central Baggage Office (CBO) at +1-303-542-1490.
- Inform the CBO of the damage to help them determine the liability.
- If the CBO agent finds that Frontier was responsible for the damage, you will be compensated per the rules that apply.
Lost and Damaged Baggage Liability
What is Frontier Airlines lost/damaged baggage compensation?
Frontier Airlines’ liability for lost, damaged, or delayed bags (including contents)—except mobility aids, assistive devices, and wheelchairs—is limited to:
- For domestic flights within the United States—USD 3,500 per passenger
- For international flights
- Trips covered under the Warsaw Convention
- Actual checked bag value or USD 9.07 per pound, whichever is less.
- USD 400 per passenger for an unchecked bag.
- Trips covered under the Montreal Convention
- SDR 1,131 per passenger
For exchange rates, refer to www.imf.org
Exception. If you had made a special declaration stating a higher value for your bag’s contents and paid an additional fee for it before traveling, you will be paid a higher compensation based on the higher value declared by you.
- Damages must be reported no more than 4 hours after arriving.
- Frontier Airlines may not accept responsibility for certain items included in checked bags—such as money, jewelry, precious metals, business documents, paintings, paintings, keys, computer equipment and accessories, sports equipment, musical instruments, etc.
- Frontier Airlines will also not accept any responsibility for:
- Carry-on bags
- Bags overstuffed beyond capacity
How to Update Your Missing Baggage Report on Frontier Airlines
You can update your missing bag (or your contact details and forwarding address) up to 14 days after filing your report. To do this:
- Click on the Lost Item Update
- Enter your last name and report ID
- Click on the Search button
- Update as required
Frontier Airlines Baggage Claim
How to make a baggage claim at Frontier Airlines
- For delayed or missing bags
- Report to a Frontier Airlines representative if you’re still at the airport.
- If you can’t locate a representative:
- Contact the Baggage Office at +1-800-401-9000.
- Say ‘Baggage’ and after being prompted, say ‘issue with bag’.
- Fill out the Delayed Baggage Form.
- For damaged bags
- Report immediately to a Frontier representative at the airport—at the most within 4 hours of your arrival.
- If you didn’t report the damage:
- Call the Central Baggage Office (CBO) at +1-303-542-1490.
- Inform the CBO of the damage.
If the CBO agent finds that Frontier Airlines was responsible for the damage, you will be compensated per the rules that apply.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Restrictions—Banned/Restricted Items
Due to safety reasons, Frontier Airlines prohibits the carriage of the following items:
- Firearms and ammunition
- Include handguns, shotguns, BB guns, compressed air guns, paintball guns, etc.
- On domestic flights, will only be permitted if packed as a checked baggage item and brought by a passenger who is at least 18 years old.
- Will not be accepted on international flights.
- They must be unloaded and packed in a hard-sided lockable container and the key must be with the passenger.
- The passenger carrying the firearm must sign a Firearms Unloaded declaration. If the firearm is packed in a checked bag, the declaration must also be placed in the checked bag near the container but not inside it.
- Must be packed securely in the original manufacturer’s packaging or a wooden/metal/fiber box with a separate section for cartridges.
- Must comply with all federal, state, and local laws on the possession and transportation of firearms. For details, refer to the TSA website.
- The maximum quantity permitted is 11lb/4.9kg per passenger.
- Loaded magazines and ammunition clips must be securely packed.
- Ammunition can be packed with a firearm.
- Boost Oxygen bottles are considered hazardous and not allowed on the aircraft.
- Samsung Galaxy Note7 is banned.
- PEVs like hoverboards, skateboards, drift boards, rover boards, and self-balancing scooters are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Liquor products more than 140-proof are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Gasoline-powered tools are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Compressed gases are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Corrosive substances incl. wet batteries and acids are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Explosives are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Flammable substances like lighter fuels and matches are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Poisons are not allowed on aircraft.
- Magnetic and radioactive materials are not allowed on aircraft.
- Human remains in caskets are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Styrofoam containers are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Blood, biological substances, tissues, and organs are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Live fish are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Oxygen generators are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Paints, incl. water and oil-based, liquid, aerosol, gel, etc. are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Parachutes with explosive devices for deploying the chute are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Segway transporters unless used as assistive devices are not allowed on the aircraft.
- Self-heating meals/drinks are not allowed on the aircraft.
Liquids and Powders
A screenshot showing that LAGs below 3.4oz per container are allowed in carry-on bags.
- Liquids, aerosols, and gels (LAGs)—such as mouthwashes, shampoos, lotions, toothpaste, and conditioners—must meet TSA’s 3-1-1 liquid rule. Each passenger can carry up to 3.4oz (100ml) of LAGs in a quart-sized resealable transparent bag. The quantity must not exceed 3.4 oz (100 ml) per container and all containers must fit inside the resealable quart-sized bag. However, larger containers (incl. hairsprays and insect repellents) can be packed in your checked baggage.
A screenshot showing that LAGs exceeding 3.4oz per container must be packed in checked bags
- Powdered substances like coffee, sugar, flour, powdered milk, spices, cosmetics, etc., must not exceed 12oz (350ml) in your carry-on bags if traveling internationally. However, larger quantities may be permitted in your checked baggage after screening.
The following liquids and powders are permitted in cabin baggage:
- Infant/baby foods for the trip.
- Prescription medicines.
- Special dietary foods for the trip.
- Ashes of a deceased person, subject to certain conditions.
- Tax-free items (sealed).
Food and Alcohol Restrictions
- Food Items. Per Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy, food items are allowed for in-flight consumption—but only in disposable packaging. Liquid or gel food items exceeding 3.4 oz (100ml) are not permitted as carry-ons, but can be placed in checked baggage (per the Transportation Security Administration, i.e., TSA).
TSA permits whole and natural food items like fruit or vegetables if they are properly wrapped or packed in a container. You will not be allowed to carry loose items such as cheeseburgers and sandwiches in your bag—they must be carried in disposable packs. Items such as ketchup, mustard sauce, or mayo can be purchased after the security checkpoint. Plus, all food items will be subject to x-ray inspection.
- Alcohol/Liquor can be brought in checked baggage or hand baggage if purchased after the security checkpoint. The following conditions will apply:
- Must not exceed 140 proof in terms of total alcohol content.
- The maximum limit is 5 liters per passenger (48–140 proof alcohol content).
- Under 48 proof alcohol is also permitted.
- It must be in original/unopened retail packaging.
- Normal security rules will apply if purchased before the security checkpoint.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Policy for Smart Luggage
Smart luggage items operated by non-removable lithium batteries are prohibited. If you’re carrying a smart bag with removable batteries:
- You must remove the batteries before bringing them as a hand baggage item.
- You must remove the batteries and carry them with you if in the cabin if you’ll be checking in your smart bag.
Important: You must remove the batteries, tape the terminals, and pack each battery separately in a plastic bag to prevent any chances of short-circuiting.
Per Frontier Airlines’ baggage policy, the Special Items listed below will be accepted as carry-on or checked baggage only under specific conditions and fees.
- Firearms will only be accepted as checked baggage on domestic flights within the United States. For details on the carriage of firearms and ammunition, refer to the section on this page titled Banned and/or Restricted Items on Frontier Airlines.
- Live Animals are permitted only in the aircraft cabin, but not as checked baggage. The carriage of live animals is subject to specific conditions and fees. Different rules apply to service animals, which can travel free of cost in the cabin with their owners. For details, refer to Frontier Airlines Pet Policy.
- Human Remains. Crematory human or animal remains can be transported either as carry-on or checked baggage, subject to certain conditions.
- Containers must be made of plastic or wooden material and must be capable of being screened by the TSA.
- Containers that can’t be screened won’t be accepted.
- If checking in, the box must be properly packed and insulated in a sturdy container.
- If carried in the cabin, the container must meet the carry-on baggage requirements.
- Human remains in caskets will not be accepted.
- Dry ice/frozen carbon dioxide will only be accepted under the following conditions:
- Must not exceed 5.5lb/2.5kg per passenger, either as carry-on or checked baggage.
- The package must have a mechanism to allow the release of carbon dioxide.
- Styrofoam containers will not be accepted.
- A bicycle can only be carried under the following conditions:
- The handlebars must be placed sideways, the pedals removed and/or wrapped in plastic foam or similar material, and the bicycle must be packed in a hard-sided case.
- Bicycles will only be accepted as checked baggage.
- A standard fee will be charged.
- Special items with dimension waivers. The following items can be brought as carry-on items as part of the carry-on baggage allowance if they fit in the overhead bin:
- Fishing rods
- Tennis rackets
- Wedding attires
- Poster tubes
- Musical instruments
If an item consists of multiple pieces, all pieces must be packed together for it to be considered as a single item.
Frequently Asked Questions on Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees and Policy
Submit your review