Ethiopian Airlines ticket cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight under the following conditions:
- If you book a non-refundable ticket to or from the United States directly from Ethiopian Airlines at least 7 days (168 hours) before departure and cancel it within 24 hours of booking, you are eligible for a full refund.
- If Ethiopian Airlines cancels or reschedules your flight and the alternative flight offered to you does not suit you because it arrives at least 3 hours later than your original flight (in most cases), you can cancel a non-refundable ticket and receive a full refund.
- If Ethiopian Airlines fails to operate a flight per schedule or changes it, and this causes you to miss an onward connecting flight, it will make alternative arrangements for you or offer you a refund, depending on what you choose.
- If the fare conditions of your ticket allow you to cancel your flight, you can cancel it and receive a full/partial refund, depending on the fare conditions of your ticket.
- If you’re holding a refundable ticket issued on/before December 31, and your travel was affected by COVID-19, you can cancel your ticket and claim a full refund.
- If you’re holding a non-refundable ticket issued before December 31, you can’t cancel it but you must complete your journey on/before December 31. You don’t need to make any changes to your ticket—Ethiopian Airlines will keep your ticket open status till December 31.
- In case of death of a passenger/passenger’s immediate family member:
- If a passenger dies, the accompanying passenger can terminate/interrupt the travel within 45 days.
- If a passenger’s immediate family member dies, the passenger can return to the place of origin at the same fare on the next available flight (without stopovers) if the death occurred at the point where the travel is interrupted, as long as it is within 45 days of the travel interruption date.
- If your ticket was issued on/after January 1, the fare rules of your ticket will determine how cancellations and refunds will apply.
Note. If you’ve purchased your ticket from a travel agent/online travel agency (OTA)/third party, you must contact them directly to process your cancellation and refund.
Ethiopian Airlines 24-hour Cancellation
What is Ethiopian Airlines’ cancellation policy within 24 hours?
Ethiopian Airlines’ 24-hour cancellation policy applies only to flight tickets booked to or from the United States to comply with an important regulation of the United States Department of Transportation. Under this regulation, if you book even a non-refundable ticket at least 7 days before your flight’s departure directly from the airline on a flight to or from the United States, you are within your rights to cancel your ticket free of charge within 24 hours of purchasing it.
Ethiopian Airlines Flight Cancellation Fee
What is Ethiopian Airlines ticket cancellation fee?
Ethiopian Airlines’ cancellation fee will depend on the fare rules of your ticket. If you’re holding a Flight Pass, the cancellation fee is:
- For domestic flights within Ethiopia USD 30 per passenger
- For North America routes USD 220 – 240 per passenger
- For other routes USD 120 – 140 per passenger
How to Cancel a Flight on Ethiopian Airlines?
Ethiopian Airlines flight cancellations process
You can cancel a flight on Ethiopian Airlines:
- By phone
- Call Ethiopian Airlines
- Call the Ethiopian Airlines office in your city/country
- Call your travel agent
- Online via EthiopianAirlines.com
To cancel your flight on Ethiopian Airlines online, follow the steps below:
A screenshot of Ethiopian Airlines’ Manage Booking tab for cancelling flights online
- Go to the homepage, EthiopianAirlines.com
- Select Manage Booking as shown above
- Enter your 6-alphabet Booking Reference code and Last Name
- Click on the Retrieve booking button
(Your flight booking will appear)
- Follow the on-screen prompts to cancel your flight booking
You will receive an email confirming the cancellation.
Ethiopian Airlines Refund Policy
- All refunds are subject to the applicable service fee, i.e., the purchase price less the service fee.
- You can apply for a refund:
- By sending a written request to the Ethiopian Airlines office in your country. In the U.S., the address is Ethiopian Airlines, 3133 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Alexandria VA 22305.
- By sending an email to your area office.
- By contacting your travel agent.
- By calling Ethiopian Airlines
- By filling out the online Request a Refund form.
- Tickets purchased by credit card will be refunded within 7 business days of your request but may take 1-2 billing cycles to reflect on your card statement. Tickets purchased by cash, check or another payment method will be refunded within 10 business days of your request.
- All refund requests must include the passenger’s name, address, credit card number, ticket number(s), date of travel, and departure and destination cities.
- If you request a refund, you must surrender all unused flight coupons of the ticket and Miscellaneous Charges Order (MCO).
- Refunds will be made through Ethiopian Airlines’ sales/accounting offices after the passenger submits a written application on the Refund Form.
- Refunds will be made:
- In the currency used for purchasing the ticket and in the country in which the ticket was purchased.
- To the person who purchases the ticket, unless the ticket purchaser designates the name of another person on the ticket.
- The amount of involuntary refund—i.e., refunds made if a passenger is prevented from using his/her ticket (due to flight delay/change/cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, boarding denial due to overbooking, missed connections, or refusal to carry by airline)—will be as follows:
- If no portion of the ticket was used, the amount of refund will be equal to the fare and charges paid by the passenger.
- If a portion of the ticket has been used, the amount of refund will be equal to the difference between the fare paid and the portion of the fare used.
- The amount of voluntary refund—i.e., refunds not included above (requested by a passenger)—will be as follows:
- If no portion of the ticket was used, the amount of refund will be equal to the fare and charges paid by the passenger less communication charges, service charges, and cancellation penalty.
- If a portion of the ticket has been used, the amount of refund will be equal to the difference between the fare paid and the portion of the fare used minus communication charges, service charges, and cancellation penalty.
- The time limitation for refunds is during the validity of the ticket or exchange order.
Frequently Asked Questions on Ethiopian Airlines Ticket Cancellation Policy
If Ethiopian Airlines cancels your flight within 14 days of departure, you have the option to take the alternative flight offered to you or (in most cases) ask for a refund if your new flight arrives at least 3 hours later than your original flight.
You can cancel a flight on Ethiopian Airlines by phone, online (via Manage Booking), or by visiting an Ethiopian Airlines sales office.
Ethiopian Airlines ticket cancellation charges will depend on what type of ticket you’ve purchased. If you’ve purchased a Flight Pass, the ticket cancellation charges are:
• USD 30 for a domestic flight within Ethiopia.
• USD 220 – 240 for flights to/from North America.
• USD 120 – 140 for flights not included above.
You can cancel an Ethiopian Airlines ticket over the phone, online through Manage Booking), or by visiting a sales office.
If you’re denied boarding:
• You will be transported on the next available flight to your final destination at no additional cost.
• The ticket cost will be reimbursed without penalty for the portion of the journey not made on Ethiopian Airlines.
• You will be offered a free telephone call, refreshment, meal, and accommodation per applicable rules.
If you’re travelling from the United States to a foreign country and are denied boarding due to overbooking, you are entitled to:
• Zero compensation if you’re offered an alternative flight that is scheduled to land at your destination/first stopover no later than 1 hour after your original flight.
• 200% of the fare paid subject to a maximum of USD 650 if the alternative transportation offered to you is scheduled to arrive at your destination/first stopover 1 – 4 hours after your original flight.
• 400% of the fare paid subject to a maximum of USD 1,300 if you’re not offered alternative transportation that arrives at your destination/first stopover less than 4 hours after your original flight.
That will depend on what type of ticket you’ve purchased—refundable or non-refundable. If you purchase a non-refundable ticket to/from the United States directly from Ethiopian Airlines at least 168 hours (7 days) before departure and cancel it within 24 hours, you are entitled to a full refund. If you cancel outside of the 24-hour window, the entire fare paid by you will be forfeited (except refundable taxes).
If you purchase a refundable ticket, you’re allowed to cancel your flight before departure. The cancellation fee and refund amount will depend on the fare conditions of your ticket. The balance amount will be refunded to you after deducting the applicable cancellation and service fees, mostly in the form of a travel credit for future use on Ethiopian Airlines.
If you purchase a fully flexible ticket, you’re allowed to cancel your flight before departure and receive a full refund to your original form of payment.