Air France’s Unaccompanied Minor service is known as Kids Solo service. This service is provided to children traveling without a parent or an adult guardian who is 18 years or older.
According to the Air France Unaccompanied Minor policy, the Kids Solo service is available:
- At the departure airport, onboard, during connections, and at the destination airport.
- On other flights also, such as those operated by HOP, CityJet, Air Corsica and CityJet, and certain partner airlines.
- For children with reduced mobility or disabilities.
The Air France Unaccompanied Minor policy places certain age restrictions, depending on the route.
|Unaccompanied Minor Age Requirements|
|• Within the metropolitan France area |
• To/from overseas French territory*
• Within the Caribbean^
|4–11 years |
(5– 11 years to/from Nouméa)
|* Includes Fort-de-France, Cayenne, Papeete, Saint Martin, Saint-Denis de la Réunion, and Pointe-à-Pitre|
^ Includes Fort de France, Cayenne, Port au Prince, and Pointe-à-Pitre
How to Book the Unaccompanied Minor Service (Kids Solo) on Air France
- You can book your child’s ticket online or by phone (), a ticket center, or a travel agent.
- You must mention that your child will travel alone. If you’re booking for 2 children in different categories, you will need to make 2 separate reservations.
- You should download, print, and fill out the Handling Advice for Unaccompanied Minor as you will be required to present 2 copies of this form at check-in. You can also fill out this form at the check-in counter, but doing it earlier will save you time at the airport.
Your child’s baggage allowance will depend on the cabin class traveled. Unlike many airlines, Air France allows unaccompanied minors to travel with a pet in the cabin (after making a reservation).
Conditions of travel
The Air France Unaccompanied Minor policy requires the following conditions to be met:
- You must receive authorization from the airline before your child can travel.
- The child must be traveling on a flight operated by Air France.
- The Unaccompanied Minor must be:
- Escorted and checked-in by a parent or responsible adult guardian who is at least 18 years old.
- Met at the destination airport by a person authorized by you to meet the child.
- If the Unaccompanied Minor has a disability or any special requirements, the parent or guardian must inform the airline at the time of booking so that necessary arrangements can be made in advance.
Before the flight
Unaccompanied Minors are entitled to the full baggage allowance for their class of travel.
Travel forms and documents
|• Handling Advice for Unaccompanied Minor form (2 copies).|
• If traveling to the United States, your child will need to fill out this Declaration Form.
• Children between 12 – 15 years traveling from the United Kingdom will need to fill out this form to request an airport tax refund (children under 16 are exempt).
• Under-18 passengers living in France must obtain authorization via the Permit to Travel form for traveling outside of France.
|• Passport (if required)|
• Visa (if required)
• Re-entry permit
• Health documents
• Other documents required by the destination country, such as:
◦ A letter of consent
◦ Health certificate
At the departure airport
- Online check-ins are permitted, starting 30 hours before departure.
- On the day of departure, present the check-in confirmation document at the check-in counter.
- Reach at least 30 minutes before the check-in deadline (indicated on your child’s ticket).
- Check in any bag your child is unable to carry alone.
- An Air France staff member will escort your child to the aircraft.
- Wait at the airport till you receive an SMS confirming flight takeoff.
- Your child will be escorted to the aircraft by an Air France staff member.
- Your child will be escorted to the connecting flight.
- A staff member will remain with your child during the period of connection.
- If a flight is delayed or cancelled, your child will be looked after by an Air France staff member and provided hotel accommodation if necessary. Also, the person authorized to meet your child at the destination airport will be informed immediately of the measures being taken to look after your child.
- Air France lounges are not accessible to Unaccompanied Minors, aside from Air France’s Unaccompanied Minor lounges.
- For connections exceeding 1 hour (Paris-Orly) and 2 hours (Paris-Charles de Gaulle), Air France’s UM lounges are open to Unaccompanied Minors and offer several options such as reading, video games, cartoons, resting, etc.
During the flight
- The flight crew will periodically check on your child to make sure she/he is doing fine.
- Your child should wear the Unaccompanied Minor pouch throughout the journey.
- Ask a flight attendant for any assistance, if required.
Arrival and pick-up
- The person authorized by you to pick up your child:
- Will receive an SMS with the flight’s estimated arrival time.
- Must be at the airport before the flight land.
- Present his/her valid photo ID.
- May be required to assist your child to retrieve his/her baggage (some airports).
- Pick up your child at the gate.
Unaccompanied Minor Fee
The Unaccompanied Minor fees are provided in the table below.
|Unaccompanied Minor Service Fee|
|Within metropolitan France||4 – 11||Mandatory||Included in the ticket price|
|12 – 17||Optional, on request||• Direct flights—€40/journey for a direct flight.|
• Flights with 1 or more connections—€50 per journey.
|To/from overseas French territory*||4 – 11 |
(5– 11 years to/from Nouméa)
|Mandatory||Included in the ticket price|
|12 – 17||• Direct flights—€50/journey for a direct flight.|
• Flights with 1 or more connections—€65 per journey.
|Within the Caribbean^||4 – 11||Mandatory||Included in the ticket price|
|12 – 17||Optional, on request||• Direct flights—€50/journey for a direct flight.|
• Flights with 1 or more connections—€65 per journey.
|International flights||5 – 14||Mandatory||Included in the ticket price|
|12 – 17||Optional, on request||• Direct flights—€50-80/journey for a direct flight.|
• Flights with 1 or more connections—€75-100 per journey.
|* Includes Fort-de-France, Cayenne, Saint-Denis de la Réunion, Papeete, Pointe-à-Pitre, and Saint Martin|
^ Includes Fort de France, Cayenne, Port au Prince, and pointe-à-Pitre
Frequently Asked Questions on Air France Unaccompanied Minors Policy
• The Unaccompanied Minor service at Air France (Kids Solo), is mandatory for children travelling alone who are:
– Between 5–14 years on international routes.
– 4–11 years old on most other routes.
– 5–11 years when flying to/from Noumea.
• Air France does not charge a fee if the service is mandatory—it is included in the price of the ticket.
• The Unaccompanied Minor service is optional for children between 12–17 years old. If booked, the service fee ranges from €40 to 80 on direct flights, and €50 to 100 on flights with one or more connections, depending on the route.
• Children below 5 years of age must be accompanied by an adult passenger on international journeys—they will not be accepted as Unaccompanied Minors.
• Air France accepts Unaccompanied Minors on connecting flights.
• Unaccompanied Minors are accepted on both domestic and international flights.
• Reservations can be made over the phone, online, through a ticket office, or a travel agent.
• For Unaccompanied Minors travelling to the United States, or from France or the UK, additional forms must be filled out by the parent/legal guardian.
• Air France allows an Unaccompanied Minor to travel with a pet, subject to reservation.
• All Unaccompanied Minors will receive an Unaccompanied Minor pouch that they must wear at all times; access to a lounge (where available); and an Air France staff member to escort them throughout the trip.
• To book an Unaccompanied Minor’s flight, call Air France at .
Yes, children between 12 and 17 years of age are allowed to travel alone on domestic and international Air France flights. They also have the option to fly as Unaccompanied Minors, in which case a service fee will apply.
You can book your child’s ticket online, by phone, through an Air France ticket office, or through your travel agent. However, when booking the ticket, you must indicate that your child will be traveling alone.
You will also need to complete the necessary paperwork before your child can travel.
If the service is mandatory (children between 4 – 11 years old), the service fee is included in your child’s ticket price. But if you have requested the service (children 12 – 17 years old), the service fee ranges from €40 to 80 per journey for direct flights, and €50 to 100 per journey for flights with 1 or more connections. For the exact fees, refer to the section titled Unaccompanied Minor Fee.