The Air India Unaccompanied Minors policy allows children between 5 to 12 years of age (16 years on Gulf routes) to travel as Unaccompanied Minors on both domestic and international routes.
The major highlights of the Unaccompanied Minors policy at Air India are as follows:
- Unaccompanied Minors are permitted to travel only on Air India operated flights, and will not be accepted on flights involving interline travel or overnight stays.
- Children below 5 years of age are not permitted to travel as Unaccompanied Minors.
- They must be accompanied by an adult passenger in the same travel class, or
- Request to travel with an air hostess after booking the service at least 3 days before departure
- The Unaccompanied Minors service is mandatory for children between 5 years and less than 12 years old if they are travelling unaccompanied. For children travelling to/from the Gulf, the upper age limit is 16 years, which means children between 5 years and less than 16 years old must travel as Unaccompanied Minors if they’re travelling unaccompanied on Gulf routes.
- To book the Unaccompanied Minor service, you must call the Air India Office in your country and submit the Unaccompanied Minor Request for Carriage Form at least 3 working days before your flight’s departure.
- Children travelling with a parent or guardian on the same flight but in a different class will be treated as Unaccompanied Minors.
Unaccompanied Minors Traveling to the UAE
For Unaccompanied Minors travelling to the UAE, the following conditions will apply:
- Minors include children up to 18 years of age. Their parents will need to fill out an authorization form indicating the local (UAE) and overseas address along with information about the person who will be receiving the child in the UAE.
- For children travelling with another family member, an authorization letter will be required from the parents/guardians.
- A service fee (Handling Charge) of AED 165 or its equivalent will be charged when travelling to/from Dubai Airport.
- Download and submit 3 copies of the Unaccompanied Minor Request for Carriage Form with the nearest Air India Office at least 3 working days before traveling.
How to Book the Unaccompanied Minor Service on Air India
You can book Air India’s Unaccompanied Minor service as follows:
|If you’re travelling to/from the UAE…||If you’re travelling to/from other (non-UAE) countries…|
|At least 3 working days before your flight: Call the Air India office in your countryBook the Unaccompanied Minor’s ticket Submit 3 copies of the Unaccompanied Minor Request for Carriage Form to your nearest Air India Office||At least 3 working days before your flight: Call the Air India office in your countryBook the Unaccompanied Minor’s ticketSubmit 5 copies of the Unaccompanied Minor Request for Carriage Form to your nearest Air India Office|
|Air India Phone Numbers From India 1860 233 1407|
From USA/Canada (Toll-Free, Open 24/7)From France 331 874 06644 (Toll Number) From Singapore 800 101 4016 (Toll-Free)From Germany 496925511337 (Toll Number) From UK 0800 048 9254 (Toll-Free)From Australia 613 701 98270 (Toll Number)
Boarding and takeoff
- The parent or adult guardian must:
- Bring the child to the airport’s check-in desk well before departure.
- Bring a valid ID.
- Remain at the airport until the child’s flight takes off.
- The child will be boarded early by an Air India staff member and introduced to the flight crew.
- The child will be apprised of the aircraft’s safety features.
During the flight
- Air India’s flight crew will check on your child from time to time.
- Your child will be escorted to the gate after the flight lands.
Arrival and pick-up
The parent or adult guardian receiving the child must:
- Arrive at the airport before the flight arrives.
- Carry a valid photo ID.
- Be at the gate to meet your child.
Many countries (including but not limited to Spain and Italy) have additional restrictions for unaccompanied minors and children traveling with guardians, so do check in advance what these regulations are.
Unaccompanied Minors Fee
- Unaccompanied Minors traveling to/from UAE will be charged of AED 165 or its equivalent as handling charges.
- Unaccompanied Minors flying to/from other destinations will only be charged the full adult fare.
Baggage Allowance for Unaccompanied Minors
The baggage allowance for Unaccompanied Minors will be the same as that for adults flying in the same travel class.
My son is 14 years and 1 month old. He will be travelling from Canada to India. Whether he will be considered as UNACCOMPANIED MINOR or YOUNG TRAVELLER.
My son is 10 years old and traveling from India to UK. I have filled the form and sent to the London office of Air India. Do I need to sent the unaccompanied minor form to respective airports also.