Children between 5 – 14 years are allowed to travel alone as Unaccompanied Minors under Azerbaijan Airlines’ responsibility on direct and transfer flights, except on flights operated by successive carriers.
Below are the major highlights of Azerbaijan Airlines’ Unaccompanied Minors (UM) policy:
- Children below 5 years
- The Unaccompanied Minors service is not available for children below 5 years.
- Children below 5 years must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or trustee who is at least 18 years old.
- Children between 5 – 14 years
- The Unaccompanied Minors service is mandatory for children between 5 – 14 years if they are travelling alone.
- You must book the Unaccompanied Minors service in advance and purchase a ticket.
- The UM fee is EUR 50.
- Children below 12 years are eligible for a 25% discount on the available adult fare.
- Children between 14 – 18 years
- The Unaccompanied Minors service is optional for children between 14 – 18 years.
- The UM fee is EUR 50.
- Your child may travel alone on any AZAL flight without special assistance or you can book the service and pay for it.
Restrictions to Azerbaijan Airlines UM Service
Are there any restrictions for Unaccompanied Minors on Azerbaijan Airlines?
Azerbaijan Airlines’ UM service will not be available:
- If the journey includes a transfer of passengers between airports/terminals.
- On codeshare flights marketed by AZAL.
- Itineraries involving interline carrier flights.
- On flights with night stops at the transfer point.
- If one of the parents does not give permission.
Documentation and Legal Requirements
Some countries have additional documentation requirements for children travelling to, out of, or through them. You must ensure that all the required documentation is in place.
- For details, refer to the IATA Travel Centre on the documentation required by each country.
- For extra requirements to be displayed, make sure you enter your child’s date of birth.
Before the Flight
To make sure everything goes smoothly:
- Book the UM service in advance for flight segments.
- Obtain confirmation from AZAL.
- Pay for the service in advance.
- Order your child’s meal (if required) when booking your child’s ticket, but at least 20 hours before departure.
At the Departure Airport
- The parent, adult legal guardian, or trustee must bring the child to the check-in desk at least 2 hours before departure (3 hours at some airports).
- The UM service will only be available if permission has been received from the child’s parents, legal guardians, or trustees.
- The parent, adult legal guardian, or trustee must also fill out and sign a Declaration of parents, guardians for the carriage of an unaccompanied child.
- Your child will be accompanied by a staff member through airport security, at the waiting area, and boarding gates, and handed over to the cabin crew.
- You must stay at the airport until the flight departs.
During the Flight
- Your child’s passport will be collected by the cabin crew and handed over before your child deplanes.
- The cabin crew will keep an eye on your child and make sure she/he is comfortable.
At the Arrival Airport
After the child’s flight lands:
- The airline’s ground staff will help your child with the arrival procedures.
- Your child will be handed over to the parent/legal guardian whose name has been stated on the Declaration of parents, guardian for the carriage of unaccompanied child form in exchange for their signature, after checking their valid legal ID.
UM Service Booking
How to book the Unaccompanied Minors service on Azerbaijan Airlines
To book the UM service:
- Contact Azerbaijan Airlines by phone
- Call +1-866-399-0587 or your country/city office
- Visit an AZAL ticket office
- Contact your travel agent
Unaccompanied Minors Fees and Fares
- The service fee for Unaccompanied Minors on Azerbaijan Airlines flights is EUR 50.
- A 25% discount on adult fares applies to children between 5 – 12 years on international flights.