Like all other airlines, Iberia requires that the name on your ticket matches the name on your legal ID for security and identification purposes. If there is any discrepancy between the two, you may encounter difficulties during the check-in process or even be denied boarding. Iberia Airlines name change policy does not allow name changes on tickets. However, name corrections are permitted.
Iberia Airlines Name Change Policy in a Nutshell
If you’re considering a change of name on an Iberia flight, remember the following points:
- Iberia has a strict name change policy. If the name on your ticket does not exactly match the name on your ID documentation, you may not be allowed to board the plane.
- Name changes for tickets and/or seat bookings are not allowed (except for legal reasons), but name corrections are allowed.
- If there’s any discrepancy between the name on your ticket and that on your legal ID, you must contact Iberia or your travel agency as soon as possible to rectify the issue.
- When making your flight booking, you must enter your full name exactly as stated on the ID papers that you will show at the airport on the day of travel.
- If you’re an Iberia Plus member, you can update your personal details online through your account (My Iberia > Personal Details), but you cannot make any changes to your name and/or surname. To make any modifications to your name, you’ll have to seek assistance from the Iberia Plus call center.
- Name corrections are free of charge and can be requested directly through Iberia—they cannot be made online through Iberia’s website.
- If you purchased your ticket from a travel agent/third party, you must contact them directly for assistance with rectifying your name.
- If you’re a frequent flyer with Iberia (Iberia Plus), enter your secure passenger information on your profile, so that the next time you book a flight, the correct passenger information will be automatically displayed. This will also help prevent unnecessary name change requests.
Iberia Airlines Name Correction Policy
Iberia Airlines name correction policy allows you to correct the name on your ticket free of charge. When making a name correction, remember the following:
- Name corrections can be requested free of charge through Iberia.
- Name corrections include:
- The removal or addition of the first or middle name, such as Mary Sanchez instead of Sanchez, or vice versa.
- Changing one or more letters of the last name, such as Hernández instead of Fernández; Martínez instead of Martín.
- Correcting a typographical error in the first/last name, such as Fernández instead of FernáMdez.
- Changing the name to another official language, such as Pedro instead of Pere.
- Changing the order of the last names, or including another one, leaving the first name and original last name the same, such as Pérez Vargas instead of Vargas Pérez; Martín Segura/Peter instead of Martín/Peter.
- If you purchased your ticket from a travel agency, you must contact them directly to request a name correction.
Iberia Airlines Name Change Fee
Iberia does not charge a name change fee because:
- Name changes are not permitted, and
- Name corrections are free of charge
Iberia Airlines Name Change for Legal Reasons
If you have legally changed your name after booking and before traveling, it is important to update this information to avoid any complications or issues during your journey. You must contact the airline directly and provide the necessary documentation, such as your legal name change certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. This will ensure that your new name is reflected accurately on your ticket and travel documents.
If your ticket needs to be reissued, you won’t be charged a name change fee but you will have to pay the fare difference between the price of the original and the current ticket.
How to Change the Name on an Iberia Flight?
If you need to change (i.e., correct) the name on an Iberia flight, there are a few steps you can take to ensure a smooth process. First, it’s important to note that name changes are not allowed (unless due to legal reasons, such as marriage, adoption, divorce, etc. You will need to contact Iberia directly (by phone or visit the airline’s office/airport ticket counter) and provide the necessary information, such as your booking reference number and the correct name spelling.
The agent will assess your request and advise you on the available options. It’s important to act quickly and be prepared to provide any required documentation as proof, such as your valid legal ID, marriage certificate, court papers, etc.
Iberia Airlines Name Change (Correction) Tips
When making a name change (correction) on Iberia Airlines, there are a few important things to keep in mind.
- It is crucial to double-check all the necessary documents and information before submitting a request for a name correction. This includes verifying the correct spelling of the name, as well as ensuring that all other personal details match the official identification documents.
- You must familiarize yourself with Iberia’s name change/correction policy explained above, including the required documentation to support the correction request.
- You should contact Iberia Airlines directly through customer service channels to initiate the name change/correction process. Providing clear and accurate information about the booking reference number, flight details, and desired correction to help expedite the process.
- Start the name correction process as soon as possible to avoid any potential complications or last-minute issues.
- Stay patient and proactive throughout the name change/correction process, as it may involve multiple steps and communications with different departments within the airline.
- Maintain open lines of communication with Iberia Airlines customer service representatives to help resolve any questions or concerns promptly.
- Keep records of all correspondence related to the name correction, as this is vital for future reference or potential disputes.
- Be prepared to provide supporting documentation such as a copy of your passport, marriage certificate, divorce papers, court orders, etc., to help validate the need for a name correction accurately.
- Review all updated travel documents after the name correction has been made to ensure accuracy before traveling.
- Arrive at the airport early on the day of departure to allow ample time for any potential issues that may arise during check-in or security checks.
Iberia Name Change Rules
Iberia Airlines has a set of name change “rules” that passengers should be aware of before making any changes to their flight reservations.
- Name changes are not permitted, but name corrections are.
- Name corrections are free of charge.
- Name corrections can only be made for the same passenger and the ticket cannot be transferred to another person.
- Legal name changes that require the re-issuance of a ticket may be subject to the applicable fare difference.
- You must provide supporting documentation, such as a valid identification document, passport, marriage/divorce papers, etc., to request a name change/correction.
- Name changes/corrections can only be made through authorized channels, such as the Iberia Airlines customer service center or travel agent.
- Name change/correction requests must be made as soon as possible and well before flight departure.
- You must double-check all details before confirming any name changes/corrections to avoid any mistakes or discrepancies.
- Once a name change/correction has been processed, it cannot be reversed or modified.
- You must review and familiarize yourself with Iberia Airlines name change policy before making any bookings or modifications to your flight reservations.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Iberia Airlines Name Change Policy
Planning a trip and need to change or correct the name on your ticket? This section provides answers to a few frequently asked questions about the Iberia Airlines name change policy. Whether you’ve recently gotten married, changed your legal name, or made a typo when booking your ticket, we’ll explain the options available to you and guide you through the process of updating the name on your reservation.
You cannot change the name on your ticket (unless you just got married, divorced, etc.), but you can correct it for free.
You can change, i.e., correct a passenger’s name by contacting Iberia Airlines directly. However, if you booked your ticket through a travel agency, you must contact the agent directly for assistance.
You will typically need to provide legal documentation such as a marriage certificate or a court order for a name change due to legal reasons.
Iberia does not charge a name correction fee. Name changes are not permitted unless due to legal reasons (see above), in which case you may have to pay the applicable fare difference between the original and the current fare if your ticket needs to be reissued.
No, you cannot change the name on your Iberia ticket online. You must call customer service or your travel agent directly (if you purchased from one) to request a name change.
You must request the name change before you check in for your flight, ideally at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure time of your flight.
No, transferring tickets to another person is not allowed. Name corrections are limited to correcting spelling errors or updating personal information due to legal changes.
The processing time for a name change request can vary depending on various factors such as demand and administrative procedures. It is advisable to contact Iberia Airlines directly for an estimated timeframe.
Iberia Airlines requires you to provide your full name as it appears on your identification documents when booking a ticket. This typically includes your first, middle, and last names. While your middle name may not be required in all cases, you should provide it to ensure that the name on your ticket matches the name on your identification documents.
Flying with an incorrectly spelled name on your Iberia Airlines ticket can be a cause for concern and could result in your being denied boarding. However, incorrectly spelled names can be easily fixed for free by contacting the airline’s customer service in advance or visiting the ticket counter at the airport, as long as you have valid supporting documentation, such as your legal ID, passport, marriage/divorce papers, etc.