In response to the COVID-19 situation, Korean Air is allowing more flexibility to passengers. Per its new flight date change policy, Korean Air has waived the reissue fees for international and award tickets with flight dates between March 4, and June 30. If you decide to make changes to your flight booking within this period, you will be exempted from paying the reissue fees.
After the COVID-19 fee waiver is withdrawn, the flight change policy will depend on your booking class and route, and when you change your ticket, as explained in the sections below.
Korean Air COVID-19 Flight Change Policy
- Eligible Tickets. The COVID-19 flight change policy applies to all Korean Air international flight tickets (including Award Ticket) with a departure date between March 4, and June 30.
- Reissue Fees can be waived only once—you’re allowed to reschedule your flight up to June 30, even after your ticket’s validity has expired.
- Fare differences will apply, which means you’ll have to pay the applicable difference in fares if your new ticket is costlier.
- The validity of mileage for expired award tickets has been extended until December 31.
Korean Air Flight Change Policy Under Normal Conditions
Under normal conditions, i.e., after the COVID-19 travel waivers are withdrawn, the flight change policy (and fees) will depend on your booking class and fare conditions.
- Economy Class flights to Korea:
- Economy Flex (Y) fares can be changed for free, but a nominal service fee will apply if you’re making the changes through a Korean Air Service Center or Branch Office.
- The following Economy Class fares will be subject to a reissue fee:
- Economy Saver (N, T)
- Economy Standard (S, H, E, K, L, U, Q)
- Economy Flex (B, M)
- Prestige Class flights to Korea:
- Prestige Flex fares (J, C) can be changed for free, but a nominal service fee will apply for changes made through a Korean Air Service Center or Branch Office.
- Prestige Standard fares (D, I, R) will be subject to a reissue fee.
- First Class fares (P, F) to Korea can be changed for free, but a nominal service fee will apply for making the changes through a Korean Air Service Center or Branch Office.
- All tickets can be cancelled and rebooked for free at least 91 days before departure.
Note. You can either opt for an alternative travel option offered to you by the airline or ask for a refund if Korean Air:
- Cancels your flight
- Fails to operate per schedule
- Causes a major disruption to your travel itinerary
- Fails to stop at your destination or stopover point
- Fails to provide a confirmed seat
- Refuses carriage due to overbooking, etc.
Flight Change Terms and Conditions
- Flight date changes (incl. flight time and flight route changes) are subject to the fare rules of your ticket.
- You can check the fare rules of your ticket:
- From your e-ticket itinerary and receipt.
- From Korean Air’s website or mobile app if you purchased your ticket directly Korean Air.
- By phone (call +1-866-399-0587 or the Korean Air office in your city/country).
Korean Air Flight Change Fee/Charges
What flight date change fee does Korean Air charge?
The flight change fee charged by Korean Air for international itineraries departing from Korea will depend on your travel/booking class, route, and when you make the changes.
- No flight change fee will apply if you make the changes at least 91 days before departure.
- The flight change fee/reissue penalty increases closer to departure.
For flight change fees/reissue penalties, see the table below.
|Korean Air Flight Change Fee/Charges/Reissue Penalty—International Itineraries |
(Departing from Korea)
|Booking Class||Routes*||Flight change application date before departure|
|> 91 Days||61-90 Days||15-60 Days||4-14 Days||Within 3 Days||Reissue Penalty|
|D, I, R||Short-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 100,000||KRW 120,000||KRW 150,000||KRW 100,000|
|Medium-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 200,000||KRW 240,000||KRW 300,000||KRW 200,000|
|Long-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 300,000||KRW 360,000||KRW 450,000||KRW 300,000|
|B, M, W||Short-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 50,000||KRW 60,000||KRW 80,000||KRW 50,000|
|Medium-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 70,000||KRW 90,000||KRW 110,000||KRW 70,000|
|Long-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 150,000||KRW 180,000||KRW 230,000||KRW 150,000|
|S, H, E, K, L, U, Q||Short-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 70,000||KRW 90,000||KRW 110,000||KRW 80,000|
|Medium-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 100,000||KRW 120,000||KRW 150,000||KRW 120,000|
|Long-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 200,000||KRW 240,000||KRW 300,000||KRW 200,000|
|N, T||Short-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 100,000||KRW 120,000||KRW 150,000||KRW 100,000|
|Medium-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 150,000||KRW 180,000||KRW 230,000||KRW 150,000|
|Long-haul||Free||KRW 30,000||KRW 250,000||KRW 300,000||KRW 380,000||KRW 250,000|
|* Short-haul routes include flights to Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Mongolia, China, Irkutsk, and Vladivostok. Medium-haul routes include flights to Tashkent, Southeast Asia, and Southwest Asia. Long-haul routes include flights to Europe, the Americas, Oceania, Africa, and the Middle East.|
You will not be charged any flight change fee/reissue penalty if:
- You submit your flight change request at least 91 days before departure.
- Your flight is cancelled or rescheduled.
- Changes in travel date and itinerary will be subject to the fees based on the fare rules of your ticket.
- You will also have to pay the fare and tax difference that applies between your old and new ticket.
- You will have to pay a Ticket Handling Charge of USD 30/EUR 30/ JPY 3,000/CNY 200/etc. (in the currency of purchase) if you’re changing your ticket through a Korean Air Service Center, Airport, or City and Office.
How to Change My Flight Date on Korean Air
Korean Air’s change flight date process
You can change your flight date, time, or destination on Korean Air in any of the following ways:
- If you purchased your ticket through Korean Air’s website, you can change:
- By Phone (call +1-866-399-0587 or the Korean Air office in your city/country).
- Online via KoreanAir.com
- With Korean Air’s mobile app
- If you purchased your ticket through a travel agency/another airline, you must contact the source directly.
How to Change Your Flight Date/Time/Destination Online
A screengrab of the Find Trips tab on Korean Air’s website
To change your flight date, time, or destination online through Korean Air’s website:
- Go to the homepage, KoreanAir.com
- Select Find Trips
The following page will appear on your screen:
A screenshot of the Find Trips page on Korean Air’s website
- Access your flight booking by providing the following information:
- Your booking reference or ticket number
- Your boarding date
- Your last, first, and middle name
- Click on the Search button
- Select the flight you want to change
- Follow the prompts to change your flight(s)
- Pay the applicable fare difference and reissue fees (if any)
You will receive your new e-ticket at your registered email ID.
Korean Air Credit Vouchers
Korean Air has stopped issuing Credit Vouchers, but previously issued vouchers are valid till December 31. A few important points to remember:
- To redeem a Credit Voucher, call +1-866-399-0587 or the Korean Air Service Center in your city.
- Credit Vouchers can be used for all international routes except Delta Air Lines-operated flights (Minneapolis/Seattle/Atlanta/Portland/Detroit routes).
- Your initial departure date must be by December 31.
- Credit Vouchers can be redeemed:
- Only by the passenger in whose name they have been issued.
- Only once to purchase a new ticket (the balance is refunded).
- After a new ticket is issued, it will be subject to the new ticket’s regulations.