The Finnair cancellation policy provides passengers with flexibility and peace of mind. In the event a passenger needs to cancel their flight, Finnair offers different options depending on the fare type. For passengers with refundable (Flex) tickets, a full refund can be requested if the cancellation is made within the specified time frame. For non-refundable tickets (all non-Flex fares), Finnair may offer the option to change the travel dates or provide a travel voucher for future use.
Major Highlights of the Finnair Cancellation Policy
It is important to note that certain restrictions and fees may apply depending on the specific circumstances of the cancellation. To ensure a smooth process, check out the details of Finnair flight cancellation policy below.
- Whether or not you can cancel your flight will depend on your ticket type (unless your flight is cancelled), as explained below.
- You can cancel andrefund any ticket without penalty if:
- Your flight has been cancelled
- Your flight is delayed by more than 5 hours and your trip no longer serves any purpose
- You are denied boarding due to an overbooked flight
- Your flight is subject to a schedule change exceeding 1 hour
(for schedule changes of less than 1 hour, the refund will be based on the fare rules of your ticket)
- The following ticket types cannot be cancelled or refunded (also indicated in your booking confirmation email):
- Superlight fares (all classes, i.e., Economy, Premium Economy, and Business).
- Light fares (all classes, as above).
- Classic fares (all classes, above)
- Only Flex fares can be cancelled and fully refunded in all classes—Economy, Premium Economy, and Business.
- You can cancel your flight booking online via Finnair’s Manage booking tool or Sisu (chatbot), or by phone.
- To cancel and refund a group booking or a third-party booking, you must contact the tour operator or travel agency directly.
- To cancel and refund a ticket purchased from another airline, contact the airline directly.
- You can claim a refund of your ticket (if eligible) by filling in the Finnair refund form.
- You can cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking without any refund fee if you book your ticket 7 or more days before your flight’s scheduled departure time.
- Refunds (if eligible) include most of the unused taxes and fees, except for:
- Service fees and payment processing fees, and
- Insurance and Fuel Fees (YR) on non-refundable tickets
- If you purchase Finnair’s Cancellation Cover at the time of booking, you can cancel your flight and obtain a refund if you’re unable to travel due to illness or accident to you or a close family member.
How to Cancel Finnair Flight?
You can cancel your Finnair flight online (Manage booking or chatbot, Sisu), by phone, or through the travel agent you purchased your ticket from.
Before you cancel your flight, it’s important to review the terms and conditions of your ticket to understand any cancellation fees or restrictions that may apply.
Then, visit Finnair’s website or contact customer service to initiate the cancellation process as explained below.
Finnair Cancel Flight Ticket Online
(i.e., the entire booking), follow the steps below.
- Go to the homepage, Finnair.com
- Click on the Manage option (you’ll be taken to the Manage booking page)
- Retrieve your booking by entering your:
- Booking reference number (such as Y2KP3D) and family name
(as it appears on your booking confirmation)
- Booking reference number (such as Y2KP3D) and family name
- Hit the Search button (your flight booking(s) will appear on the next page)
- Click on Cancel flights and go through the information in the pop-up window
- Hit the Continue button (your booking won’t be cancelled just yet, so don’t worry)
- Review the following:
- The flights you want to cancel, and
- The passengers for whom the online cancellation will apply
- Check the box appearing at the bottom of the screen
- Click on Confirm booking cancellation to finalize the cancellation
Quick Online Cancellation Tips
- If you’re cancelling online via Manage booking, you won’t be charged a service fee.
- If you’re unable to cancel via Manage booking, use the chatbot (Sisu) for assistance
- Once you cancel your booking, you cannot undo it.
- Your refund amount will be calculated after you confirm your cancellation.
- The amount of refund will depend on what type of ticket you’ve purchased. If you’re eligible for a refund, you will receive it using your original method of payment. To know your ticket type, check the booking confirmation email you received after booking your ticket. Alternatively, go through the information at the start of this page on what types of tickets can be refunded.
- If you want to cancel the booking for only some of the passengers in your booking, use the chatbot (Sisu) for assistance in cancelling a specific flight in your booking.
- If you’ve booked through a third party or have made a group booking, you’ll need to contact your travel agent or tour operator directly to cancel and refund your ticket.
Cancel Finnair Flight Ticket by Phone
If you’re cancelling your Finnair ticket by phone, have your booking reference number and personal identification information readily available when contacting Finnair.
Finnair 24 Hour Cancellation
Finnair 24 hour cancellation policy allows all passengers to cancel their flights without being charged any penalty/refund fee if:
- Purchase their ticket 7 or more days before the scheduled departure time, and
- Cancel their ticket within 24 hours of booking
The 24-hour cancellation policy applies to all types of tickets, including non-refundable ones.
Note. To claim a refund, you will need to:
- First need to cancel your flight, and
- Then apply for a refund by filling out Finnair online refund form
Finnair Cancellation Fee
Finnair cancellation fee for non-refundable tickets is the entire fare less any refundable airport/government taxes and surcharges. That’s right, if you decide to cancel your non-refundable ticket with Finnair, in almost all cases you will lose almost the full amount of the fare. While this may seem strict, it is important to note that non-refundable tickets are typically priced lower than their refundable counterparts. Finnair cancellation policy ensures that those who choose to purchase non-refundable tickets are aware of the potential financial consequences of canceling their reservation.
If you’re planning to book a flight with Finnair and want the flexibility to cancel without incurring a hefty fee, it may be worth considering purchasing a refundable (Flex) ticket instead. You will not be charged any cancellation fee if you purchase a Flex fare in any travel class—Economy, Premium Economy, or Business.
What is Finnair’s Economy Flex cancellation fee? Finnair’s Economy Flex cancellation fee is USD 0 since Economy Flex fares can be cancelled without any penalty.
Finnair Cancelled Flight Compensation
Finnair does offer flight cancellation compensation in certain circumstances. If your flight is cancelled due to reasons within the airline’s control—such as technical issues or crew shortages—you may be entitled to compensation under EU regulations.
The amount of compensation depends on the distance of your flight and the length of the delay caused by the cancellation. However, if the cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances beyond the airline’s control—such as severe weather, political unrest, ATC issues, etc.—you may not be eligible for compensation.
Compensation for cancelled flights. Finnair offers compensation for flight cancellations per the European Union Regulation EC 261/2004. The amount of compensation depends on the distance of the flight and ranges from €250 to €600.
- For flights up to 1,500 kilometers, the compensation is €250.
- For flights between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometers, the compensation is €400.
- For flights over 3,500 kilometers, the compensation is €600.
The cancelled flight compensation on Finnair is reduced by 50% when the airline provides passengers with an alternative flight that arrives at their final destination within a certain time frame. According to EU regulations, if the alternative flight departs no more than 2 hours before the originally scheduled departure time and arrives no more than 4 hours after the originally scheduled arrival time, the compensation amount is reduced by 50%. This reduction is meant to account for the inconvenience caused by the delay, while still providing passengers with some form of compensation for the disruption to their travel plans. Passengers need to familiarize themselves with their rights and entitlements in case of a cancelled flight to ensure they receive fair compensation.
It’s important to note that there are certain circumstances where compensation may not be applicable, such as extraordinary circumstances or if passengers were informed about the cancellation at least 14 days in advance. To determine eligibility for compensation and to make a claim, passengers are advised to contact Finnair directly.
Finnair Economy Flex Cancellation Policy
Cancelling an Economy Flex ticket on Finnair is a relatively straightforward process. You can either cancel an Economy Flex ticket online through Finnair’s website or call customer service directly.
To cancel an Economy Flex ticket online, go to the airline’s homepage and select the Manage option on top. On the Manage booking page that appears, enter your reservation details (booking reference number and last name). Locate your Economy Flex ticket and select the option to cancel it. Once your flight cancellation is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation email informing you that your flight has been successfully cancelled. If you want a refund, you will additionally have to fill out Finnair’s refund form.
To cancel your Economy Flex ticket by phone, call customer service and request an agent to cancel your flight. To save time, have your booking reference number and personal ID information ready.
Finnair Refund Policy
Finnair’s refund policy provides flexibility and convenience for its passengers. If a flight is cancelled or delayed, Finnair offers options for refunds or rebooking. Passengers can request a full refund of their ticket if their flight is cancelled, and Finnair processes the ticket within a stipulated timeline. If a passenger’s flight is delayed by more than five hours, they may also be eligible for compensation under certain circumstances.
The major highlights of Finnair’s refund policy are as follows:
- Eligible tickets (as well as services and products) purchased by credit card or cash will be refunded within 7 business days of the submission of the refund application/request. Tickets purchased by check will be refunded within 20 business days.
- If Finnair cancels a flight (involuntary refund) or cannot operate its schedule reasonably, does not stop at your stopover or destination, or is likely to result in your missing a connecting flight in which you have a confirmed reservation, the refund amount will be:
- The full fare paid if the ticket is completely unused.
- The difference between the fare paid and utilized by you if you have utilized a part of your fare.
- If you cancel your ticket for reasons not mentioned above (voluntary refund), the refund amount will be the:
- The full fare paid by you less the cancellation fees and service charges, if any, if the ticket is fully unused.
- The full fare paid by you less the difference between the fare paid and used and the cancellation fees and service charges, if any, if the ticket is partially used.
- Voluntary refunds will be issued by the carrier that originally issued the ticket (or the carrier’s authorized agent).
- Tickets purchased 7 or more days before departure time can be cancelled within 24 hours of booking without being charged any refund fee.
- Partially or fully lost tickets will be refunded after expiry upon the presentation of proof of loss and payment of administration charge (reasonable), provided:
- That the ticket has not been refunded, replaced, or used earlier unless the reason for the refund or replacement to or by a third party resulted from Finnair’s negligence.
- The person obtaining the refund undertakes (as recommended by Finnair) to repay the refunded amount in case of fraud or if the ticket or part of it is used by a third party unless it is due to the airline’s negligence.
- If Finnair or its authorized agent loses a passenger’s ticket or a part of it, the loss will be the airline’s responsibility.
- Finnair may refuse your refund:
- If you apply after your ticket’s expiry date.
- If a ticket has been presented by a passenger as evidence of the intent to depart from the country unless the passenger can prove that are permitted to remain or depart from the country on another carrier or means of transport.
- The currency of refunds will be the same as that used to purchase the ticket.
- Finnair will issue the refund to the credit card or other payment method used to purchase the ticket.
- The payment date of a refund will be the date on which the ticket was issued and not the date on which the refund payment was made.
- To refund multiple bookings, a separate form must be filled out for each booking.
- All refunds are subject to a ticket’s fare rules.
Finnair Cancelled Flight Policy
- If your flight is cancelled due to a flight disruption, you are entitled to a full refund.
- If you want to cancel your entire flight booking, use the Finnair refund form to apply for a refund.
- If you want to cancel some flights in your booking but refund the cancelled flight, contact Finnair via the chat service, Sisu.
- If your flight is disrupted but not cancelled:
- You can cancel your booking (by phone, or online via Manage booking or chatbot) and then apply for a refund thereafter using the Finnair refund form.
- You are entitled to a full refund if:
- Your flight is delayed by more than 5 hours and you decide not to travel
- You need to change flights due to overbooking.
Finnair Cancellation Cover
If you purchase Finnair’s Cancellation Cover, you can cancel your flight and receive a refund for the unused portion of your ticket if you’re unable to travel due to illness, accident, or death to you, a passenger travelling with you in the same booking, or a close family member.
- A Cancellation Cover allows you to cancel your flight without any additional fees or penalties.
- The coverage of a Cancellation Cover extends to:
- Only the original fare and travel extras, if purchased.
- The ticket price plus prepaid travel extras, such as seats, extra baggage, meals, lounge access, and other extras provided by the airline.
- Cancellations due to complications related to pregnancies till the end of the 36th week of pregnancy.
- Cancellation Covers are only available on Finnair- and Norra-operated flights.
- If your sickness or accident takes place post-departure, your Cancellation Cover will include the return flight fare or the total fare.
- Cancellation Covers are subject to medical assessment based on a valid medical certificate along with the Finnair refund form.
- The price of a Cancellation Cover will appear at the time of booking a flight. Prices for one-way and return flights are the same.
- Cancellation Covers are free of charge for children below 2 years.
- The coverage of a Cancellation Cover does not include:
- The price of a new ticket, the Cancellation Cover fees, or any service fee paid at the time of booking.
- Flight cancellations due to reasons other than illness, accident, or death.
- Travel-related costs, like car rentals, accommodation, etc.
Important Terms & Conditions
- Close family members can include a spouse, a common in-law, own or spouse’s children/parents/grandparents.
- Cancellation Covers can be purchased only with Economy or Premium Economy Class fares—they cannot be purchased later for an earlier booking.
- Cancellation Covers are not available for Any Seat reservations or Finnair Plus award flights.
- You cannot purchase a Cancellation Cover with Finnair Plus points if you’ve paid partly by credit card.
- Pregnancy-related cancellations after the 36th week are not covered.
- Cancellation Covers will not apply in cases where cancelled trips are covered by another party, such as an insurance company, employer, or some other third party.
To apply for a flight refund under Cancellation Cover, follow the steps below:
- Cancel your flight booking prior to the departure of the first flight you won’t be using.
- You can cancel online through Manage booking.
- To apply for a refund, fill out and submit the online Refund Application Form and attach a copy of a valid medical certificate proving the illness or accident along with the duration. For death-related cancellations, a copy of the death certificate is required.
- If the refund claim relates to a close family member’s illness, accident, or death and the family member’s name does not appear in the flight booking, you may have to prove your relationship with the family member.
- Refund claims must be submitted no later than:
- 3 months from the original departure date for illness or accidents
- 6 months from the original departure date in case of death
If you have any questions or need any assistance regarding Finnair’s Cancellation Cover, call customer service now.
Frequently Asked Questions on Finnair Flight Cancellation Policy
The FAQs below on the Finnair Cancellation Policy help provide you with the clarity and confidence you need to make informed decisions regarding your travel plans. So go through them and let us know if you have any questions.
The policy allows all passengers to cancel their tickets within 24 hours of booking without incurring any fees, provided that the departure date is at least one week away. After this initial grace period, the fare conditions of your ticket will apply.
Outside of the grace window, only Flex fares (Economy, Premium Economy, and Business) can be cancelled and refunded. All other fares are non-refundable. For other conditions relating to Finnair ticket cancellation policy, refer to the Major Highlights of the Finnair Cancellation Policy above.
To get a refund of your Finnair Economy Flex fare, you will first need to cancel your flight (online via Manage booking or chat, by phone, or through your travel agent. After cancelling your flight, you will need to fill out and submit the Finnair Refund Form.
Finnair’s Economy Flex refund policy allows free refunds, as long as you cancel before departure.
Yes, you can cancel any flight within 24 hours of booking if you book your ticket at least 7 days before departure.
Yes, all Finnair flights are refundable within 24 hours of purchase, as long as you purchase your ticket 7 or more days before departure.
Yes, you can cancel your flight with Finnair on any Flex fare ticket. Other tickets cannot be cancelled outside of the 24-hour grace period, unless your flight is cancelled, delayed by more than 5 hours, or is subject to a schedule change exceeding 1 hour.
Finnair refund policy for cancelled flights allows you to cancel and refund a cancelled flight if the alternative flight offered to you no longer serves your travel purpose.
Outside of the 24-hour grace window where all tickets can be cancelled without penalty, the fee for cancelling a flight on a non-Flex ticket is the entire fare minus airport/government taxes and surcharges. For Flex tickets (all classes), there’s no fee for cancelling a flight.