The VivaAerobus cancellation policy provides flexibility and convenience for travelers. You can cancel your flight free of charge within 24 hours of booking and receive a full refund for any ticket purchased at least 7 days before departure. However, if you don’t cancel within this window or fail to show up for your flight, no refund will be provided to you. Outside of the free 24-hour cancellation window, all fares are non-refundable unless your flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 4 hours due to reasons within the airline’s control, or due to serious illness or bereavement.
It’s best to review the cancellation policy below before booking your flight, as this can help prevent last-minute surprises and costly mistakes.
An Overview of the VivaAerobus Cancellation Policy
Mexico’s leading low-cost airline, VivaAerobus, has a fairly comprehensive cancellation policy. It allows all passengers to cancel their flight bookings without incurring any penalties or fees within 24 hours of the original booking. After this period, cancellations are not permitted unless you’ve purchased the airline’s Refund coverage (which guarantees a full refund under certain conditions), and a few special cases such as flight cancellations, delays, illness, or bereavement, as explained below.
Below are the major highlights of VivaAerobus flight cancellation policy.
- The VivaAerobus cancelation policy is only applicable to VB-333 flights, i.e., flights operated by Viva Aerobus.
- You can cancel any flight booking and get a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase, and at least 4 hours before flight departure.
- Outside of the 24-hour grace period, all Viva Aerobus fares are non-refundable, unless:
- Your flight is cancelled due to reasons within the airline’s control.
- Your flight is delayed by more than 4 hours for the above reason.
- You purchase a Full Refund cover and cancel your flight due to reasons that qualify for a refund—such as COVID, injury, illness, accident, pregnancy complications, vehicle failure on the way to the airport, house fire, attention to legal summons, house robbery, worsening medical conditions, change of exam dates, job change, etc.
- Special circumstances that prevent you from travelling, including but not limited to illness, accident, bereavement, etc.
- After 24 hours of ticket purchase, full refunds will not be made (unless for the reasons mentioned above). Only the TUA (The Airport Use Fee) will be refunded if you paid for it at the time of booking. TUA refunds can only be requested up to 30 days after a flight cancelled flight.
- You may be permitted to cancel your flight due to a severe event (solely at the airline’s discretion) by calling customer service directly.
- You can change your flight date and/or route free of charge (except Zero fares) through Viva Aerobus’ website up to 4 hours before departure, as long as you pay the fare difference.
- If you’re unable to travel due to serious illness or bereavement of a close relative, Viva Aerobus may issue (at its sole discretion) a non-transferable and non-cashable Flight Certificate to you, subject to the presentation of a medical or death certificate before the check-in deadline. You will also be required to present adequate documentary proof of your relationship with the relative.
- If VivaAerobus cancels your flight or delays it by more than 4 hours due to reasons within its control, you will be entitled to:
- Change your flight date up to 30 days later at no additional cost in addition to a voucher worth 25% of the total cost of the delayed flight’s ticket (i.e., fare, taxes, and seat cost), or
- Obtain a full refund of the value of the unused ticket plus a voucher worth 25% of the cost of the delayed flight ticket (i.e., fare, taxes, and seat cost).
- If you add a Full Refund coverage when purchasing your ticket and certain events prevent you from travelling, you can request to cancel your ticket before departure and get your money back (explained later).
- If your aircraft lands at a place other than your destination due to force majeure or unforeseeable circumstances, you will be transferred to your final destination via the fastest means of transportation at no additional charge.
- The VivaAerobus cancellation policy for passengers travelling to or from Colombia is different. According to the policy, if you have purchased your ticket through a non-face-to-face channel, you have the right to cancel your ticket and request a full refund within 5 days of purchasing your ticket, provided the flight does not depart within 5 days at the time of booking.
You can also cancel your ticket for a fee at least 24 hours before departure by notifying the airline or your travel agent. The airline will retain no more than 10% of your fare and return the balance amount to you within 5 business days.
Note. The above privileges flight cancellation privileges do not apply to promotional rates.
VivaAerobus Cancel Flight Policy for Cancelled Flights
If your flight is cancelled by VivaAerobus for reasons within its control, you have the option to:
- Take the alternative transportation offered by VivaAerobus at no additional charge, or
- Postpone your flight date free of charge by no more than 30 days in addition to receiving a voucher equivalent to 25% of your flight’s total cost (fare + taxes + seat cost), or
- Request a complete refund of the unused ticket in addition to receiving a voucher worth 25% of the cost of the ticket (fare + taxes + seat cost)
VivaAerobus Cancelation Policy Due to Illness or Bereavement
If you’re unable to fly because of a serious illness or bereavement of a close family relative, you must notify VivaAerobus of this and present a medical certificate or death certificate before your flight’s check-in deadline, along with documentary proof of relationship with the relative (if applicable).
Depending on the situation, Viva Aerobus at its sole discretion may issue a Flight Certificate to you (non-transferable and non-cashable), that you can use to travel later. The terms of the Flight Certificate will depend on the situation and be decided by the airline.
VivaAerobus 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
VivaAerobus 24-hour cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking and obtain a full refund if you purchase your ticket 7 or more days before the scheduled departure time of your flight. Whether you need to change your travel plans or simply have a change of heart, you can take advantage of this policy to cancel any type of ticket.
How to Cancel a Flight on VivaAerobus?
You can cancel a VivaAerobus flight over the phone by calling customer service directly at the toll-free numbers below:
- From the United States or Canada +1 866 FLY VIVA (+1 866 359 8482)
- From Mexico 81-82-150-150
- From Colombia +57-800-5189402
VivaAerobus Cancel Flight Online
Unlike many other airlines, VivaAerobus does not offer an online cancellation option for flights. Instead, passengers are required to contact the customer service team directly at the above numbers to cancel their reservation.
Cancel VivaAerobus Flight by Phone
To cancel your flight by phone, call the customer service hotline and provide the agent with your reservation code (such as F8B4QW) and surname. The agent will guide you through the cancellation process and inform you of any applicable fees or policies.
Remember, outside of the free 24-hour cancellation window, all fares are non-refundable unless you’ve purchased a Full Refund cover, or your flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 4 hours due to reasons within the airline’s control, or due to illness or bereavement.
Tip. A cheaper option is to change your flight time, date, and/or destination for free (except for Zero and promotional fares), as long as you pay the fare difference.
VivaAerobus Refund Policy
VivaAerobus has a simple refund policy. The major highlights of the VivaAerobus refund policy are as follows:
- All passengers can cancel a flight and request a refund within 24 hours of purchasing their ticket if:
- The ticket was purchased 7 or more days before the scheduled departure time.
- The cancellation request is made no later than 4 hours before the flight’s scheduled departure time.
- If you’ve crossed the free 24-hour window and are unable to cancel and refund your ticket, your best option may be to change your flight free of charge (except on Zero or promotional fares) and travel later, provided you pay the fare difference.
- Refunds will be made to the original form of payment.
- Refunds in case of special circumstances such as severe illness or bereavement may be issued in the form of a Flight Certificate that the passenger can use to travel later. Flight Certificates are non-cashable and non-transferable and must be used within their validity period.
- Zero fares and promotional tickets cannot be cancelled or refunded.
- Flight cancellations and refund requests can only be made by phone and not online.
- Purchasing a Full Refund cover at the time of booking allows you to cancel your flight and receive a full refund due to any of the following reasons:
- Accidents preventing travel
- Legal summons
- Forced job relocation
- Government travel bans
- House fire
- Job change
- Job loss
- Pregnancy complications
- Scheduled airline failure
- Academic exam date changes
- Ticket holder’s death
- Ticket holder injury
- Unexpected illness
- Vehicle failure on the way to the airport
- Wedding cancellation
- Worsening of pre-existing medical conditions
- If you’ve purchased a Full Refund cover, you can cancel your booking and receive a full refund as follows:
- Contact MAS Servicios (open 24 hours):
- By phone: +52 55 84 21 04 57
- Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Through Facebook: MASasistencias
- Through Instagram: @mas_servicios_
- Via Linkedin: MAS Servicios
- Verify the cancellation criteria
- Send the required documentation
- Wait for an agent to contact you
- Contact MAS Servicios (open 24 hours):
- Compensations per VivaAerobus Compensations Policy will be paid within 10 calendar days after the passenger makes the claim. However, compensation for food and lodging will be provided based on the policy guidelines.
Compensation for Delayed and Cancelled Flights
VivaAerobus offers compensation for delayed and cancelled flights under the regulations set by the governing aviation authorities. The amount of compensation will depend on the reason and the length of the delay, as shown in the table below.
|Airline-caused delays between 1–2 hours
|Flight Certificate worth 8% of the delayed flight segment
|Airline-caused between 2–4 hours
|Compensation valued at 7.5% of the ticket’s price
|Airline-caused delays exceeding 4 hours, or
Airline-caused flight cancellations, or
Boarding denial due to overbooking
|Free access to phone calls and email, plus:
– Full refund of the affected ticket segment affection plus 25% of the ticket price, or
– Alternative transportation on the next available flight plus access to phone calls and food plus overnight accommodation (if required) incl. transportation between the hotel and airport, or
– Transportation to the same destination at a later date plus 25% of the affected segment’s ticket price
The compensation mentioned above is based on VivaAerobus Compensations Policy. All compensations will be paid within 10 calendar days after you submit your claim request. However, this does not include the compensation for food and lodging.
Frequently Asked Questions on VivaAerobus Cancellation Policy
If you’re planning to book a flight with VivaAerobus or have already made a reservation, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the airline’s cancellation policy. Understanding the terms and conditions surrounding cancellations can save you time, money, and potential headaches in case your travel plans change. In this section, you’ll learn the answers to some frequently asked questions about VivaAerobus cancellation policy.
You can cancel your flight with Viva Aerobus over the phone by calling customer service directly (you cannot cancel your flight online). To save time, have your booking details ready when initiating the cancellation process.
You can cancel any flight with Viva Aerobus within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, as long as you cancel at least 4 hours before the scheduled departure time of your flight. After 24 hours, you’re not allowed to cancel any ticket, unless:
• You’ve purchased the Full Refund cover and the reason for your cancellation qualifies for a full refund.
• Your flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 4 hours due to reasons within the airline’s control.
• In case of special circumstances, serious illness, or bereavement of a close family member that prevents you from travelling, as long as you can provide supporting documentary proof.
Yes, you can cancel any flight within 24 hours of purchase and you do it no later than 4 hours before the scheduled departure time.
The Full Refund cover on Viva Aerobus is a type of travel insurance that allows you to receive a full refund of your ticket price in certain circumstances. The VivaAerobus refund policy ensures that you won’t your money if you are unable to travel due to unforeseen circumstances—such as a medical emergency, COVID-19 diagnosis, sudden illness, pregnancy complications, forced job change/loss/relocation, wedding cancellation, house fire, robbery, exam date changes, injury or death of the passenger, legal summons, vehicle failure on the way to the airport, etc.
To receive a 100% refund without any penalty, you must purchase the Full Refund cover at the time of booking (and not later). Also, the reason for flight cancellation must be any of those mentioned above.
VivaAerobus offers a free 24-hour cancellation policy. Under this policy, you are eligible to receive a full refund if you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of booking but at least 4 hours before departure. However, it may take more than 24 hours (post-cancellation) for the refund to be issued.
No, you can only add the Full Refund cover when you purchase your ticket online through the VivaAerobus website. You cannot add it later or purchase it offline or through a non-Vivaaerobus website.
Yes, VivaAerobus allows passengers to make changes to their flights free of charge (except for Zero and promotional fares), subject to seat availability.
VivaAerobus does provide waivers for cancellations due to certain unforeseen circumstances, such as medical emergencies, bereavement, or natural disasters. It is best to reach out to the airline for information or assistance in such cases.
If your flight is cancelled by Viva Aerobus, you can opt for the alternative travel arrangements provided to you by the airline at no additional cost. Alternatively, you change your flight date by up to 30 days at no additional cost (you will also receive a voucher equal to 25% of your ticket’s cost), or request a full refund of the unused portion of the ticket in addition to receiving a voucher worth 25% of the ticket cost as compensation.
If you cancel your flight, you will only receive a refund if:
• You buy your ticket at least 7 days before departure and cancel within 24 hours of booking.
• VivaAerobus cancels your flight due to reasons within its control.
• VivaAerobus delays your flight by more than 4 hours for reasons within its control.
• You’ve purchased a Full Refund cover and your flight cancellation is eligible for a refund.
• Extraordinary circumstances prevent you from flying, such as severe illness, an accident, bereavement of a close relative, etc., subject to the presentation of valid documentation and the airline’s approval (you will likely be issued a refund in the form of a Flight Certificate for future travel).
To be eligible for a full refund, you must:
• Purchase your ticket at least 7 days before departure, and
• Cancel it within 24 hours of booking, and
• Cancel it no later than 4 hours before departure
If you cancel your flight after the deadline, the entire fare paid by you will be forfeited other than government/airport tax.
No, all tickets are non-transferable and can only be used by the person named on the ticket.
If you miss your flight, it is considered a no-show, meaning that the entire fare paid by you will be forfeited (save for applicable airport/government tax).
You will most likely receive a refund (at the airline’s discretion) in the form of a Flight Certificate for future travel. You will be required to present a valid medical certificate to the airline before your flight’s check-in deadline.
However, if you’ve purchased the Full Refund cover, you will be entitled to receive a 100% refund for an illness or medical emergency, as long as you can present a valid medical certificate.
If you need to cancel your VivaAerobus flight at the last minute, you must call customer service directly and inform them of the urgency. If the reason for flight cancellation is a serious illness, family bereavement, or a special event that prevents you from travelling, you must present valid proof (medical certificate, death certificate, etc.) at least 4 hours before departure to avoid a cancellation fee (almost 100% except for airport/government taxes).
If the reason for a last-minute cancellation does not fall within the purview of VivaAerobus cancellation policy, you will not be entitled to any refund (other than airport/government taxes).