British Airways’ change of name policy allows you to change the passenger name on BA flights as explained below:
- Most spelling mistakes in a name can be corrected for free over the phone when all the flights on the itinerary are operated by British Airways.
- You may have to pay an additional fee if the taxes, fees, or fuel surcharges have increased since you booked your ticket.
- You may be asked to provide documentary evidence to support your name correction.
- Update or correcting your name (or spelling) in Advance Passenger Information (API) will not reflect on your e-ticket.
- Name changes or corrections on tickets booked through third parties can only be made by contacting the third party directly.
- Name changes on tickets booked directly through British Airways (website, call center, or sales office) can be requested by phone.
- To completely change a name on a ticket booked directly through British Airways—such as a booking made in the name of a wrong person—take advantage of British Airways’ 24-hour cooling off period. This allows you to cancel your booking within 24 hours of purchase and receive a full refund (you can then rebook with the correct name).
- If you booked your ticket directly through British Airways, you can cancel your ticket online.
- If you booked your ticket over the phone, call British Airways.
Exceptions. The following flights bookings are not covered by the guarantee:
- Any flight booking in which the flight departs within 24 hours of your booking.
- Any flight booking that wasn’t paid for.
- Flight bookings that include packages, hotel accommodations, car hires, etc., which have different conditions (call the BA Customer Support team for assistance).
- Domestic South African only services which are operated by Comair.
If you do not take advantage of the cooling off period, you will need to cancel your flight ticket and make a fresh booking at the prevailing prices.
British Airways Name Change Policy for Executive Club Account Holders
How can I change or update the name on my Executive Club account?
If your name has changed due to marriage or through a deed poll, you will need to provide documentary evidence to support your name change. To change or update your name, you will need to:
- Log into your British Airways account
- Fill out this form
- Attach/provide the following:
- Your Executive Club membership number
- A copy of your marriage certificate, deed poll, legal decree, etc.
- A copy of your passport page with your name
- Name corrections are important because if the name under which you book your flight doesn’t match the name that appears on your Executive Club account, your flight points will not be credited to your account.
- The digital membership card of Silver, Bronze, and Blue members will be updated online as soon as the name correction has been processed and approved. For Gold and higher tier members, new cards will be sent by post.
British Airways Name Change Policy for Name Changes After Marriage/Divorce
What should I do if my passport name shows my married name but my booking name is different?
Due to security and immigration regulations, British Airways will not allow you to travel on a ticket which shows a different name than your passport/valid ID name—due to marriage or divorce.
If you want to change the name on your ticket so that it matches the name on your passport or valid ID, you must contact the British Airways office in your area.
- You will not be charged any fee for this, unless the taxes, fees, or carrier charges have increased since you booked your ticket.
- You will be required to provide valid documentary evidence to prove your identity.
Tip. It may be easier and quicker to take advantage of British Airways’ 24-hour cooling-off period, which allows you to cancel your booking within 24 hours, get a full refund, and make a fresh booking with the correct name. You can do this online via Manage My Booking or by phone.