What is China Eastern Airlines’ policy on pet acceptance?
China Eastern Airlines allows domesticated dogs, cats, and birds to travel as checked or cargo baggage—but not in the aircraft cabin. However, service animals (dogs only) are allowed to travel with disabled passengers free of charge in the cabin.
China Eastern Airlines’ pet policy does not accept snub-nosed (Brachycephalic) dog and cat breeds and dog breeds classified as dangerous on any aircraft.
Pet reservations must be made at least 48 hours before departure by calling China Eastern Airlines at 1-866-399-0587 or through a local/branch office in your city/country.
China Eastern Airlines Pet Policy—In-Cabin Pets
What is the China Eastern pet policy for in-cabin pets?
China Eastern Airlines does not accept pets in the cabin on any of its flights. However, trained service animals (dogs only) accompanying disabled passengers are allowed to travel in the aircraft cabin free of charge.
China Eastern Airlines Pet Policy—Pets as Checked Baggage
What is China Eastern’s pet policy for pets travelling as checked baggage?
China Eastern Airlines accepts domesticated dogs, cats, and household birds as checked baggage in the cargo hold section of the aircraft, where the temperature and pressure conditions are the same as those in the aircraft cabin.
Below are the major highlights of China Eastern Airlines’ pet policy for pets travelling as checked baggage in the cargo hold section of the aircraft.
- Pets Allowed. Only domesticated dogs, cats, and household birds are allowed as checked baggage.
- Pet Weight
The total weight of the pet (incl. pet carrier plus food and water) must not exceed:
- 70lb/32kg on domestic flights within China.
- The maximum limit set for checked baggage on international flights. Typically, this is 70lb/32kg but on flights to/from the United States, the maximum outer limit is 100lb/45kg.
- Pet Age. Your pet must be at least 6 months old to travel on China Eastern Airlines.
- Number of Pets. Only 1 pet can be checked in per passenger and flight.
- Pet Reservations
- Call 1-866-399-0587 (or the local/branch office in your city/country) to book your pet.
- Book your pet at least 48 hours before departure.
Note. If you want to apply online or through the mobile app, you’ll be required to fill out and submit China Eastern’s Small Animals Carriage Application Form and wait for approval.
- Pet Check-in. You must complete all check-in procedures at least 90 minutes before take-off.
- Pet Documents. You must carry the following documents with you:
- Domestic flights
- Small Animals Carriage Application Form
- Valid ID Certificates
- Animal Quarantine Conformity Certificate
- International flights
- A Health Certificate issued by your pet’s veterinarian indicating that your pet has been properly vaccinated and is free of any communicable disease.
- Any other certificate required by the countries of entry, exit, and transit.
- Entry or transit permits.
- Domestic flights
- Pet Fee. Pets travelling on international and domestic routes are charged an excess baggage fee, which varies by route, as explained below.
- International flights. Pets travelling as checked baggage on international routes will be charged an excess baggage fee ranging from CNY 1,000 – 2,000 (approx. USD 157 – 314), depending on your pet’s weight and route.
- Domestic flights within China. The pet fee is equal to the (total pet weight minus the free baggage allowance) x 1.5% of the one-way published Economy Class fare.
Note. You will be issued a separate ticket for excess baggage with the following label:
For Pet/Dog or Transport of Small Animals.
- Pet Carrier Requirements
Pet carriers must conform with the Live Animals Regulations of IATA and meet the following requirements:
- The combined linear dimensions (L + W + H) of your pet carrier must not exceed 203cm and the length, width, and height (as shown in the diagram above) must be at least:
- Length: A + 0.5B
- Width: C x 2
- Height: D
- A refers to the length from the tip of the pet’s nose to the tail.
- B refers to the pet’s height from the elbow to the ground.
- C refers to the pet’s maximum width.
- D refers to the pet’s height from the tip of the ear/top of the head to the ground.
- Pet carriers exceeding 203cm in combined linear dimensions (L + W + H) will not be accepted as checked baggage—they must be transported as air cargo.
- Medium- and large-sized pet carriers exceeding the sizes below must be mesh-wrapped with the top and bottom sides wound vertically and horizontally at least 3 times (as shown).
- Medium-sized carriers exceeding 81cm x 55cm x 58cm (32in x 21in x 22in).
- Large-sized carriers exceeding 91cm x 60cm x 66cm (36in x 60in x 26in)—plus they must be transported as air cargo as the size exceeds 203cm (L + W + H).
- The pet carrier must be leak-proof and escape-proof.
- All components of the pet carrier must work properly, including but not limited to the locking parts, nuts, bolts, and latches.
- Your pet must be able to stand up without its ears touching the top of the carrier, as well as turn around and lie down comfortably inside the carrier.
- The pet carrier must be properly ventilated for your pet to breathe in the aircraft hold.
- Pet Restrictions
- Pet Breeds. Brachycephalic (snub-nosed/pug-nosed) dog and cat breeds, and dog breeds classified as dangerous are not permitted on China Eastern Airlines. These include but are not limited to:
|Banned Dog Breeds||Banned Cat Breeds|
|Affenpinscher BoxerAmerican Bully Pitbull ChowAmerican Staffordshire Terrier Belgian ShaggyBoston Terrier Brussels GriffonBullmastiff ChrysanthemumDogo Argentino Dogue de BordeauxEnglish Toy Spaniel Fila BrasileiroJapanese Chin King Charles SpanielMastiff PekingesePitbull PugSamoyed Shar PeiShih Tzus SpanielTerrier Yankees DogTosa Inu Brazilian Filet|
(and its hybrids)
|Burmese catsHimalayan catsPersian catsExotic Shorthair cats British Shorthair cats|
- Temperature Conditions. Pets will not be accepted if the temperature forecast in any of the flight segments on your route is less than minus 12°C or more than 30°C (both inclusive).
Tip. If the temperature on your travel date prevents your pet from travelling on a confirmed booking, call 1-866-399-0587 (or the local/branch office in your city) and ask for a refund or change of date. If you’ve already reached the airport, apply for a refund or change of date at the China Eastern Airlines airport check-in counter.
- Other Conditions. Pets will not be accepted on China Eastern Airlines as checked baggage if:
- The aircraft hold is not appropriate for transporting small animals.
- They are pregnant or expected to deliver within 48 hours.
- They are less than 6 months of age.
China Eastern Airlines Pet Policy—Pets as Cargo Baggage
What is China Eastern Airlines’ pet policy for pets travelling as air cargo baggage?
If your pet is too large and/or the size of your pet carrier exceeds the required limit for checked baggage (>203cm in combined linear dimensions), you will need to book your pet as unaccompanied air cargo baggage.
Below are the major highlights of China Eastern Airlines’ pet policy for pets travelling as
- Pets Allowed. Dogs, cats, and other animals (subject to route).
- Pet Age. Pets must be at least 6 months old to travel as cargo baggage.
- Pet Restrictions
- Pet Breeds. Snub-nosed (Brachycephalic) dog and cat breeds and dog breeds considered dangerous will not be accepted as cargo baggage. For details, refer to the section above.
- Temperature Restrictions. Pets will not be accepted if the temperature forecast on any flight segment is equal to or more than 30°C or equal to or less than minus 12°C.
- Age Restrictions. Pets must be at least 6 months old on the day of travel.
- Pregnant pets and pets expected to deliver within 48 hours will not be accepted as cargo baggage.
- Pet Crates must comply with the Live Animals Regulations of IATA.
- Number of Pets. Only 1 pet can be checked in per passenger and flight.
- Pet Reservations. Book your pet as early as possible with the China Eastern Airlines Cargo Office in the city of departure.
- Pet Check-in. You must check in your pet at China Eastern’s cargo office in the city of departure within the check-in deadline for the flight.
- Pet Documents
- Same as in the section above.
Note. Your pet’s Health Certificate must be issued by a certified veterinarian within 10 days of travel.
- Pet Fee. Call China Eastern Airlines’ Cargo Office in your city to know the exact pet charges for your route.
China Eastern Airlines Pet Policy—Service Dogs (and Pets) Travelling to China
If you’re travelling with a service dog (or a pet dog/cat) to China, you must fulfill all the requirements below:
- Only 1 assistance dog (or 1 pet) is allowed per passenger.
- You must carry a valid rabies vaccination and quarantine certificate.
- Your assistance dog/pet must have a microchip that complies with ISO 11784 and 11785. Your pet’s 15-bit microchip code must be readable with a microchip reader and must contain only numbers. If your pet/service dog has a non-compliant microchip, you must bring a microchip reader capable of reading the non-compliant microchip implanted on your dog.
- Your assistance dog/pet will need to enter a 30-day quarantine in a designated quarantine station, unless:
- Your pet arrives from any of the following 19 countries/regions and holds a valid microchip and passes an on-site quarantine examination:
- USA (Hawaii and Guam only)
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
- French Polynesia
- Your pet arrives from a non-designated country/region (other than those mentioned above) but holds a valid microchip and rabies antibody test report from an approved laboratory and the antibody amount or blood titer is more than 0.5IU/ml and it passes an on-site quarantine examination.
- Your assistance dog has a valid microchip, a professional training certificate, an owner certificate, and also passes an onsite quarantine examination.
- To prevent your dog from being quarantined and isolated, you must enter China from a port of entry that is equipped with quarantine facilities. These ports are listed on Customs.Gov.Cn and include:
- Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal (Wusong Customs)
- Urumchi Diwopu International Airport (Customs at Urumchi Airport)
- Shanghai Railway Station (Customs at Shanghai Railway Station)
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport (Customs at Shanghai Pudong International Airport)
- Shanghai International Cruise Terminal (Pujiang Customs)
- Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (Customs at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport)
- Beijing West Railway Station (Customs at Beijing West Railway Station)
- Beijing Capital International Airport (Customs at Beijing Capital Airport)
- Alataw Pass (Customs at Alataw Pass)
Pet Reservations. To book your pet/service dog or learn more about the pet fee, pet carrier size, or other formalities, call 1-866-399-0587 or the local office in your city.