Azerbaijan Airlines baggage is based on the piece or weight concept and will depend on your route and service class (travel class). Bags exceeding 70lb/32kg will not be accepted and must be transported as cargo baggage. If your J2 flight is operated by Buta Airways, the baggage policy of Buta Airways will apply.
Below is an overview of Azerbaijan Airlines baggage policy:
- Azerbaijan Airlines free baggage allowance for carry-on baggage is as follows:
- VIP Club, Comfort Club, and Business Class 2 pieces x 22lb/10kg per piece
Max. dimensions: 55cm x 40cm x 23cm
- Economy Class 1 piece x 22lb/10kg per piece
Max. dimensions: 55cm x 40cm x 23cm
- VIP Club, Comfort Club, and Business Class 2 pieces x 22lb/10kg per piece
Note. In addition to the above, you can carry a handbag, briefcase, or portable computer free of charge.
- Azerbaijan Airlines free baggage allowance for checked baggage is as follows:
- VIP Club 3 pieces x 70lb/32kg each on all routes
- Comfort Club and Business Class 2 pieces x 70lb/32kg each on all routes
- Economy Class
- 2 pieces x 50lb/23kg each Baku – New York and Baku – Kuwait flights.
- 1 piece x 50lb/23kg on other routes
- Nil on Moscow – Gandja, Qabala, and Lankaran
Note. The size of your checked baggage must not exceed 158cm/62in in combined dimensions.
- Azerbaijan Airlines extra baggage
- Oversized bags measuring 158 – 203cm in combined dimensions will incur an additional charge of USD 60/EUR 50/AED 210 per bag (but USD 120/EUR 10 on flights to/from the United States). Bags exceeding 203cm in combined dimensions will incur an additional charge of USD 120/EUR 100/AED 420 per bag (but USD 240/EUR 200 on flights to/from the United States).
- Overweight bags weighing 50lb/23kg – 70lb/32kg will incur an overweight baggage fee of USD 60/EUR 50/AED 210 per checked bag (USD 120/EUR 100 on flights to/from the United States).
- Excess baggage (of up to 50lb/23kg per bag) can be purchased in advance at a discount for up to 3 hours before departure at AZAL sales offices and accredited travel agencies for USD 50/EUR 40/AED 180 per bag.
- The baggage allowance for children between 2 – 12 years is the same as that for adult passengers.
- Passengers travelling with infants/children below 2 years can carry the following items for free:
- Adjustable lightweight stroller in the aircraft’s cargo compartment.
- Infant food during the flight and travel cradle.
- AZAL-Miles Platinum and Gold members are entitled to carry 1 additional bag of up to 50lb/23kg at no additional charge.
- Sporting equipment must be booked and carried in the baggage hold as part of your free checked baggage allowance, except for rhythmic gymnastic sets and tennis rackets which can be carried as hand baggage.
Azerbaijan Airlines Carry-on Baggage Allowance
What is Azerbaijan Airlines free baggage allowance for carry-on baggage?
Azerbaijan Airlines baggage allowance for carry-on bags (unchecked baggage) is:
- 2 carry-on bags for VIP Club passengers
- 2 carry-on bags for Comfort Club passengers
- 2 carry-on bags for Business Class passengers
- 1 carry-on bag for Economy Class passengers
Weight and size restrictions. The total weight of a carry-on bag must not exceed 22lb/10kg per bag and its combined dimensions (L + W + H) must not exceed 118cm (55cm + 40cm + 23cm).
The following items can be carried free of charge in addition to the carry-on baggage allowance:
- Walking stick
- Reading material for the flight
- Infant food and travel cot if travelling with an infant
Azerbaijan Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
What is Azerbaijan Airlines free baggage allowance for checked baggage?
Azerbaijan Airlines checked baggage allowance will depend on your service class and route, as shown below:
|Azerbaijan Airlines Baggage Allowance—Piece Concept Flights (Most Routes)|
|Service Class||Free Checked Baggage Allowance||Excess Baggage Charges|
|VIP Club||3 bags of up to 70lb/32kg each||– USD 60/EUR 50/AED 210 for each extra bag of up to 50lb/23kg|
– USD 120/EUR 100 for each extra bag of up to 50lb/23kg on flights to/from the U.S.
|Comfort Club||2 bags of up to 70lb/32kg each|
|Business Class||2 bags of up to 70lb/32kg each|
|Economy Class||Most flights: 1 bag of up to 50lb/23kg each|
Flights to/from the U.S.: 2 bags of up to 50lb/23kg each
|Azerbaijan Airlines Baggage Rules—Checked Baggage|
– You can pre-pay for baggage (50lb/23kg) up to 3 hours before departure at an AZAL sale office or accredited agencies at USD 50/EUR 40/AED 180) per bag.
– The combined dimensions of a checked bag (L + W + H) must not exceed 158cm/62in.
– An oversized baggage fee of:
• USD 60/EUR 50/AED 210 will be charged if the combined dimensions of a bag are between 158 – 203cm (62 – 79.9in)—but USD 100/EUR 80 on flights to/from the United States.
• USD 120/EUR 100/AED 420 will be charged if the combined dimensions of a bag exceed 203cm—but USD 240/EUR 200 on flights to/from the United States.
– An overweight baggage fee of USD 60/EUR 50/AED 210 will be charged additionally if the weight of a checked is between 50 – 70lb (23 – 32kg)—but USD 120/EUR 100 on flights to/from the United States.
– Bags that are both overweight and oversized will incur additional charges but must be within the permissible limits.
– Any checked bag exceeding 70lb/32kg will only be accepted as cargo baggage.
– Children between 2 – 12 years are entitled to the same free baggage allowance as adult passengers.
– Lap infants (below 2 years of age) travelling on a parent’s lap are entitled to 1 free piece of baggage not exceeding 22lb/10kg in weight and 115cm in combined dimensions, plus:
• Infant food required during the flight
• A travel cradle
• Adjustable lightweight stroller (in the aircraft’s cargo compartment)
– Wheelchairs (all types) and baby strollers can be carried free of charge in addition to your free baggage allowance—but only in the baggage hold.
– Baggage payments must be made in local currency at the official exchange rates.
– AZAL-Miles Platinum and Gold members are entitled to a free additional baggage allowance of 1 checked bag not exceeding 50lb/23kg.
Azerbaijan Airlines Baggage Allowance—Weight Concept Flights (Some Flights)
What is Azerbaijan Airlines free baggage allowance for weight concept flights?
Azerbaijan Airlines baggage allowance for weight concept flights (applicable on some routes only) is as follows:
The free international baggage allowance for weight concept flights is:
- 88lb/40kg for Business Class
- 44lb/20kg for Economy Class
The free domestic baggage allowance for weight concept flights is:
- 70lb/32kg for Business Class
- 50lb/23kg for Economy Class
Azerbaijan Airlines Extra Baggage
What are the extra baggage charges at Azerbaijan Airlines?
Per Azerbaijan Airlines extra baggage rules, the excess/additional, oversized, and overweight baggage charges are as follows:
- Oversized bags with combined dimensions between 158cm – 203cm will be charged an oversize baggage fee of:
- USD 120/EUR 10 on flights to/from the United States
- USD 60/EUR 50/AED 210 per bag on most other flights
- Oversized bags exceeding 203cm in combined dimensions will be charged an oversize baggage fee of:
- USD 240/EUR 200 on flights to/from the United States
- USD 120/EUR 100/AED 420 on most other flights
- Overweight bags weighing 50 – 70lb (23 – 32kg) will be charged an overweight baggage fee of:
- USD 120/EUR 100 on flights to/from the United States
- USD 60/EUR 50/AED 210 on most other flights
- Excess baggage (additional bags) of up to 50lb/23kg per bag can be purchased:
- For USD 120/EUR 100 on flights to/from the United States
- For USD 50/EUR 40/AED 180 on most other flights
- Up to 3 hours before departure at a discount
- At AZAL sales offices and accredited travel agencies
Azerbaijan Airlines Special Baggage
The following special baggage items do not fall under the Free Baggage Allowance (FBA) rules and are treated differently. The transportation of special baggage items (listed below) is subject to specific rates, regardless of the weight of other baggage items carried by you.
Azerbaijan Airlines treats the following items as special baggage items:
- Certain types of sporting equipment, except those listed under Azerbaijan Airlines Sports Baggage Policy in the section below.
- Musical instruments not exceeding 115cm in combined linear dimensions.
- Audio and video equipment
- TV sets
Note. On Baku-Dubai flights, 32in diagonally-sized TV sets are included in your free baggage allowance. TV sets exceeding the free baggage allowance will incur an additional fee of AED 60 regardless of excess weight or size limit. TV sets between 32 – 55in (in diagonal size) will incur an additional fee of AED 210. TV sets exceeding 70lb/32kg in weight and 55in in diagonal size will only be accepted as cargo baggage.
- Packed baggage items exceeding the Free Baggage Allowance limits
Note. Bicycles are included in your free baggage allowance on all flights.
- Live animals
- Weapons and ammunition
Baggage Requiring Special Carriage Conditions
Baggage requiring special conditions of transportation, such as valuable articles, fragile articles, etc., can be transported in the passenger cabin if:
- You have obtained permission from the airline
- Your baggage has passed air safety control
If your baggage is fragile (musical instruments) or large, you can purchase an extra seat for it.
- Your baggage must not weigh more than 165lb/75kg.
- The dimensions of your baggage must be appropriate for the seat.
- You must pack the baggage properly to prevent any damage to it or any cabin equipment.
- The baggage must be checked in and will be issued a boarding pass.
- You will not be charged excess baggage fees.
- You will be responsible for the safety of your baggage.
Weapons and Ammunitions
Azerbaijan Airlines does not accept weapons and ammunition, except:
- Rifled army firearms and ammunitions
- Customized firearms and ammunitions
- Unloaded rifles, training guns, sporting guns, hunting guns, outdated rifles, smooth-bore and combined guns and ammunitions
- Pneumatic weapons and ammunitions
- Cold steel and small cold arms, such as daggers, dirks, rapiers, sabers, maces, bayonets, bowie knives, hunting knives, knife-bayonets, arbalests)
- Fake weapons
- Gas guns
- Azerbaijan Airlines will not accept gas gun shells, shells with an incendiary or explosive charge.
- Weapons and ammunition:
- Will only be accepted passengers holding special permits issued to them by appropriate authorities.
- Must be transported per Azerbaijan Airlines rules of cargo transportation.
- Must be carried on direct (transit) flights from/to the airports where the airline is represented.
- Carried by authorized security and police personnel performing official duties will be transported on direct, transit, and transfer flights per laid down procedures.
- Must be transported in the aircraft’s cargo compartment, except in the case of authorized law enforcement personnel performing official duties.
- Are prohibited inside the aircraft’s passenger cabin. Such items include imitation toys and souvenirs, except in the case of authorized law enforcement personnel performing official duties as long as they’re carrying all the necessary documents.
- Will only be accepted for carriage in discharged condition (with ammunition separated from them).
- Must be packed in special packages and transported in the cargo compartment of the aircraft in case of withdrawn, cold steel, and short-barreled weapons and their ammunition, and the container key must be kept by the crew during the flight and at transit stops.
- Must be transported in the aircraft’s cargo compartment in special containers/boxes and must be equipped with safety locks in case of withdrawn and not disassembled weapons exceeding 80cm in length.
- Are prohibited from carriage in the aircraft cockpit and their return to a passenger onboard the aircraft or ramp.
- The maximum amount of ammunition permitted per passenger is 11lb/5kg per passenger (gross weight). Also, the combining of ammunition by several passengers is not permitted.
- Will be handed over to the passenger by the airport security personnel at the arrival airport’s designated spot in the presence of an Azerbaijan Airlines representative.
Azerbaijan Airlines Sports Baggage Policy
What is Azerbaijan Airlines baggage policy for sporting equipment?
According to Azerbaijan Airlines sports baggage policy, most sporting equipment can be carried as part of your free baggage allowance, except a golf kit and/or skiing equipment, both of which can be carried free of charge, regardless of size or weight. Anything above your free baggage allowance in terms of weight or size will be treated as excess baggage and subject to applicable charges.
Below is a snapshot of Azerbaijan Airlines baggage policy for sporting equipment:
- You can carry 1 golf kit and/or skiing equipment free of charge, regardless of weight or size, in addition to your free baggage allowance. Additional (incl. excess) sporting equipment will be subject to additional baggage charges. You must pack your golf kit and/or skiing equipment properly and transport it in the cargo hold only.
Note. Skiing gear can include 1 pair of skis, 1 pair of ski poles and/or 1 snowboard (incl. the necessary equipment, including but not limited to a helmet, a pair of glasses, and a pair of boots.
- All other sporting equipment can be carried as part of your free baggage allowance. Sporting equipment exceeding the weight and size limits of your free baggage allowance will be subject to the applicable excess baggage fees.
- Only tennis rackets and a set for rhythmic gymnastics can be carried in the passenger cabin. All other sporting equipment must be properly packed and carried in the baggage hold as checked baggage.
A photograph of dangerous/restricted items on Azerbaijan Airlines
Azerbaijan Airlines allows you to carry up to 100ml of any liquid on your flight.
- The maximum amount of individual 100ml liquids you can carry is 1 liter, except for medical or dietary liquids which are exempt from the 100ml restriction.
- All liquids must be placed in one clear, sealed plastic bag.
- Per TSA rules for flights to/from the United States, powdered substances like coffee, flour, milk powder, sugar, spices, etc., of less than 350ml are permitted in carry-on baggage if they will be used during the flight and will be subject to additional screening. Powdered products that will not be used during the flight or equal to or exceeding 350ml must be packed and placed in checked bags.
Exceptions. Prescription medications, baby formula, and human remains are exempt from this rule, as long as they are properly sealed.
- Powder-like products purchased at last point of departure duty-free airport shops:
- Must be placed in Sealed Tamper Evident Bags
- Must be accompanied by proof of purchase documents.
Prohibited Baggage Items
Azerbaijan Airlines prohibits the carriage of the following items in your luggage for safety reasons:
- Radioactive substances
- Gases (flammable, non-flammable, refrigerated, and poisonous gases)
- Fireworks, sparklers, and flares
- Poisonous, irritating, harmful, or infectious substances
- Aerosols (except toiletries in limited quantities)
- Improperly packed liquid and wet baggage items that may damage the aircraft, baggage, or cargo—such as non-solid foodstuffs (honey, jam, yogurt, tomato paste, etc.), liquid paints, tools containing oils and fuels, frozen goods, etc.
- Portable vehicles like air wheels, segways, balance wheels, etc., that are powered by lithium-ion batteries
- Flammable liquids (gasoline, paints other than those that dissolve in water and solvents
- Tools that run on gasoline, such as lawnmowers and chainsaws
- Oxidizing and corrosive substances, incl. bleach and batteries (other than batteries used for operating wheelchairs for transporting patients, small batteries, radio, CD-players, etc.), and mercury barometers
- Radioactive materials, other than radioisotope cardiac muscle stimulants, other devices that run on lithium batteries and are implanted into the human body, and radioactive materials in the human body due to treatment.
- Magnets and magnet-containing products
The following items can be carried only in your checked baggage but are strictly prohibited as carry-on baggage:
- Cold arms
The following baggage items can be carried as both checked and carry-on baggage:
- Toilet articles, such as perfumes and aerosols
Items Permitted in Limited Quantity
The following dangerous goods will be accepted in limited quantity with the airline’s consent, as long as their carriage is not prohibited to/from/via the country of transportation.
- Dry ice for storing perishable goods, as long as it is less than 4.4lb/2kg and in a package that permits the release of carbon dioxide gas. The package must bear a Dry Ice or Firm Carbon Dioxide tag, and be checked in.
- Small oxygen gas cylinders for personal medical use.
- Ammunitions safely packed in boxes, other than explosive/incendiary shells.
- Wheelchairs and other mobility devices for passengers with reduced mobility, incl. those operated by rechargeable (non-spillable) batteries, as long as the battery terminals are protected against short circuits, and the battery is attached securely to the wheelchair/mobility device), or with spillable batteries in checked-in baggage
- Mercury thermometer/barometer transported by a government/weather bureau/official representative, but only in checked baggage
- Up to 2 small gas cylinders with nonflammable gas injected in self-righting life-jacket with carbon dioxide, plus up to 2 spare charges per passenger (only in checked baggage
- Heat-producing articles, like diving lamps, underwater torches, and soldering material for personal use (only in checked baggage).
When carrying lithium-ion batteries, the following rules will apply:
|Configuration||Hand Baggage||Checked Baggage||Airline Approval|
|< 100Wh||In equipment||Yes||Yes||No|
|Spare||Yes (no limit)||No||No|
|100 – 160Wh||In equipment||Yes||Yes||No|
|Spare||Yes (Max. 2)||No||Yes|
|> 160Wh||You must present and carry as cargo baggage per IATA Dangerous |
Other Goods Permitted in Limited Quantity
The following goods are accepted for transportation in limited quantity without the airline’s consent, provided they are not prohibited in the country to/from/through which they are being transported.
- Alcoholic beverages (up to 70 degrees proof) not exceeding 5 liters in net quantity (in checked baggage).
- Non-radioactive toiletries/medicinal items such as colognes, hair sprays, perfumes, medicines with alcohol). The combined net weight per passenger must not exceed 2liters/2kg, limited to 0.5liters/0.5kg for individual items (in checked baggage).
- 1 set of hair curlers per passenger (containing hydrocarbon gas), as long as they have a safe heating element cover, are without a spare cylinder (in checked baggage)
- Matches/cigarette lighter for personal use (without spare unit), as long as it does not contain unabsorbed liquid fuel (in checked baggage)
- Portable cylinders with carbon dioxide for operating mechanical limbs, along with portable spare cylinders (if needed) for ensuring adequate supply during the flight (in checked baggage)
- Radio-isotopic cardiac pacemakers, plus other devices powered by lithium-ion batteries implanted into a person; and radio-pharmaceuticals in the body due to medical treatment
- 1 small clinical/medical thermometer per passenger (for personal use), provided they are carried in a protective case.
Delayed and Missing Baggage
If your baggage does not arrive, you must report it immediately at the arrival airport. You will be provided a baggage file reference number that you can use to track or retrieve your baggage. After reporting your missing baggage at the airport, you can check the status of your bag online using your baggage file reference number and name.
Tip. The baggage file reference number is a combination of 4 letters and 6 numbers, such as ABCD123456.
Note. You must report the delayed/missing baggage within 21 days of arrival—and no later.
If you receive a text message by SMS or email with your baggage file reference number, you can update your contact details and delivery address online using your last name and file reference number.
If your baggage arrives damaged or broken and you want to claim compensation, you must contact Azerbaijan Airlines CJSC and Buta Airways within 7 days of arrival by:
Frequently Asked Questions on Azerbaijan Airlines Baggage
Azerbaijan Airlines baggage allowance for Economy Class on piece concept flights (most routes) is:
• Carry-on baggage allowance 1 piece not exceeding 22lb/10kg and 118cm (55cm + 40cm + 23cm).
• Checked baggage allowance
• 2 pieces x 50lb/23kg each on flights to/from the U.S. and Baku – Kuwait flights.
• 1 piece x 50lb/23kg on other routes
• Nil on Moscow – Gandja, Qabala, and Lankaran
A checked bag’s size must not exceed 158cm/62in.
Azerbaijan Airlines baggage allowance for Business Class passengers on all routes is 2 checked bags of 70lb/32kg each and 2 carry-on bags of 22lb/10kg each.
Azerbaijan Airlines baggage allowance for Comfort Club is 2 checked bags of 70lb/32kg each and 2 carry-on bags of 22lb/10kg each on all routes.
Azerbaijan Airlines free baggage allowance for VIP Club passengers is 3 pieces of checked bags not exceeding 70lb/32kg each and 2 carry-on bags not exceeding 22lb/10kg on all routes.