Can I change my name on an Air New Zealand flight?
Air New Zealand’s name change policy requires that the name on your ticket should exactly match the name on your passport or valid legal ID, especially for international flights (for legal and security reasons). If there’s any mismatch between the name on your ticket and the name on your valid legal ID, you may be denied boarding.
Minor spelling and typographical errors on Air New Zealand-operated flights may be corrected for free by the airline.
Major name changes, such as a change of name after marriage, adoption, or other reasons will incur an additional fee. Also, if your ticket is for international travel or needs to be transferred to another person, you will need to cancel it and purchase a new ticket. In such a scenario, you will be charged a cancellation fee, depending on what type of fare you’ve purchased and the conditions attached to that fare.
Air New Zealand Name Change Fee—Major Changes Requiring Ticket Cancellations
- Minor name changes requiring small spelling corrections and typos are free of charge.
- Major name changes due to marriage, divorce, adoption, etc., on international tickets, and ticket transfers require you to cancel your ticket and purchase a new one. The cancellation fee in such cases will depend on the type of ticket you’ve purchased and the applicable fare conditions.
The cost of cancelling a ticket on long-haul flights—such as all international flights excluding flights between New Zealand and Australia, Samoa, Vanuatu, Norfolk Islands, the Cook Islands, Niue, Fiji, Bali, and Tahiti—is:
- 100% of the adult or child fare for Value Fares (Economy).
- USD 300 for Economy Flexible Fares (adult and child fares) and USD 400 for Premium Economy Fares.
- USD 500 for Business Class Fares (adult and child fares).
Note. You are entitled to a full refund if you purchase your ticket at least 7 days (168 hours) before departure and cancel it within 24 hours of purchasing it.
The cost of cancelling Tasman and Pacific flights—such as flights between New Zealand and Australia, New Caledonia, Samoa, Vanuatu, Norfolk Island, Fiji, Niue, Bali, Tahiti, and the Cook Islands)—is:
- 100% of the fare (adult or child fares) for Smart Saver Fares.
- Nil for Economy Flexi Fares.
- Nil for Business Class Fares.
The cost of cancelling domestic flights within New Zealand is:
- 100% of the fare for seat, seat+bag, and flexichange fares.
- Nil for flexirefund fares.
For more information, refer to Air New Zealand Cancellation Policy.
Air New Zealand Name Change Process
How to change the name on your ticket
You can change the name on your ticket:
- By phone
- Through your travel agent
- Through an Air New Zealand sales office in your city