ANA offers one of the best Business Class seats in the sky, especially after the introduction of The Room which offers a door for complete privacy. Upgrades to Business Class don’t have to cost a fortune, with plenty of ways to swap an Economy or Premium Economy ticket for a fully lie-flat Business Class seat on long-haul flights. An ANA upgrade to Business Class typically includes free lounge access, priority check-in, priority boarding, priority baggage handling, and many other benefits. Main meals include both Western and Japanese menu options, plus light snacks whenever you wish.
The Basics of ANA Upgrades to Business Class
If you’ve ever flown on Economy Class and found yourself longing for a little extra legroom, better meals, and enhanced amenities, an ANA Airlines upgrade to Business Class might just be the answer to your travel dreams. The section below walks you through the basics of upgrading to Business Class on ANA, including how to book your upgrade.
- How to upgrade on ANA. You can upgrade to Business Class or Premium Economy:
- With your Mileage Club frequent flyer miles
(Only eligible fare classes can be upgraded)
- With your Star Alliance frequent flyer points/miles
- By paying cash
Note. You can also bid for an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy Class
(except on domestic flights within Japan).
- ANA upgrades are subject to availability and can be confirmed 355 days before departure.
- You can upgrade at the airport on the day of travel if you meet the upgrade requirements.
- If you’re unable to upgrade your seat in advance, you can upgrade at the check-in counter on the day of travel, subject to availability.
- If you’re unable to upgrade with points/miles, you may still be eligible to purchase an upgrade (online or at the airport).
- Domestic tickets (within Japan) for ordinary seats purchased with international tickets cannot be upgraded in advance. However, they can be upgraded on the day of departure for a fee, subject to availability (regardless of the fare type).
- All Nippon Airways upgrades are limited, meaning that all upgrades, including Business Class upgrades may not necessarily be available even if the airline is selling the “upgraded” seats.
- Even if you upgrade to Business Class successfully, the number of frequent flyer miles you’ll pull in will apply to your original booking class (Economy or Premium Economy) and not Business Class.
- ANA Airlines Business Class upgrades are not restricted to just one class above the originally booked class—you can upgrade to Business Class from both Economy and Premium Economy Class.
- You can’t upgrade from Economy or Premium Economy to First Class—that privilege is reserved solely for Business Class passengers travelling on fully-paid seats.
- ANA Airlines seat upgrades can be made either with ANA Mileage Club miles or with other Star Alliance airlines points/miles, or with cash.
- The number of miles or points required for a Business Class upgrade on ANA will depend on the length of your flight and the frequent flyer program you’re using to spend miles or points from.
- Some frequent flyer programs allow ANA upgrades to Business Class from a wider range of fare types whereas others restrict usage to just a few fare types (and closer to flight departure).
- ANA Business Class upgrades are available for select Economy/Premium Economy fare types, meaning that not all fares can be upgraded with miles or points.
- ANA upgrades with miles can be requested online or by phone. If you’re using points or miles from other Star Alliance frequent flyer programs, you will generally have to call the airline operating your frequent flyer program (not ANA) to process your ANA upgrade.
ANA Upgrade with Miles
You can upgrade your ANA upgrade with miles if you have enough miles in your ANA Mileage Club account to cover the cost of the upgrade. ANA upgrades with miles can be requested by phone or online through the airline’s website.
To upgrade online, log in to your ANA Mileage Club account, access your desired flight, and select the option to upgrade with miles. You will be shown all the available upgrade options and the cost in miles. Simply choose the upgrade option that suits your preferences and proceed to book the upgrade. You will receive your upgraded ticket by email.
Since upgrades are subject to availability, be sure to request your upgrade as early as you can.
ANA International Upgrades
ANA international flight upgrades are a great way to enjoy the luxuries of premium cabins. The upgrade process is straightforward and can be done through various channels, including ANA’s website, mobile app, or at the airport check-in counter.
Eligibility for ANA international flight upgrades is determined by your travel class. As shown in the table below, you must be traveling on an eligible fare class to be considered for an upgrade.
- Economy fare classes Y, B, M, U, H, Q, and V are eligible for miles upgrades to Premium Economy.
- The following Economy/Premium Economy fare classes are eligible for upgrades to Business Class:
- Fare classes G, E, Y, B, M, and U if the flight origin is within Japan.
- Fare classes G, E, Y, B, M, U, and H if the flight origin is outside of Japan.
- Business fare classes J, C, D, and Z (within/outside Japan) are eligible for miles upgrades to First Class.
|Eligible Booking Classes by Origin|
|Origin of Itinerary*||Economy to Premium Economy||Economy/Premium Economy |
|Business to First|
|Within Japan||Y, B, M, U, H, Q, V||G, E, Y, B, M, U||J, C, D, Z|
|Outside of Japan||Y, B, M, U, H, Q, V||G, E, Y, B, M, U, H||J, C, D, Z|
|*The origin of itinerary refers to the first sector’s departure point of an international itinerary.|
Note. As a special privilege, Diamond Service members are allowed to upgrade ineligible booking classes by using twice the required Upgrade Points, subject to seat and meal availability in the higher class on the day of departure.
ANA Business Class Upgrade Cost
You can upgrade a one-way flight from anywhere between 9,000 – 45,000 miles, depending on the basic sector mileage and travel class. The chart below shows how many miles you will need to upgrade from:
- Economy to Premium Economy
- Economy/Premium Economy to Business
- Business to First
|ANA Mileage Upgrade Chart|
|Basic Sector Mileage||Economy to Premium Economy||Economy/Premium Economy to Business||Business to First|
|0—2,000||9,000 miles||12,000 miles||20,000 miles|
|2,001—3,500||15,000 miles||18,000 miles||30,000 miles|
|3,501—4,500||15,000 miles||20,000 miles||35,000 miles|
|4,501—5,500||20,000 miles||25,000 miles||40,000 miles|
|5,501 and more||20,000 miles||28,000 miles||45,000 miles|
- You’re not allowed to submit upgrade applications from Economy to Business and from Economy to Premium Economy for the same flight at the same time.
- After applying for an Economy to Premium Economy upgrade, you’re not allowed to subsequently upgrade to Business Class unless you request a refund of your current upgrade and then submit a fresh application to upgrade from Economy to Business Class.
- You’re not allowed to upgrade with miles directly from Economy to First Class.
- Some flights may not be eligible for miles upgrades.
- Domestic flights within Japan cannot be upgraded with miles.
- For all award sectors, the one-way required mileage is different from the total mileage.
- For redemption purposes, you will need to confirm the required mileage charts that correspond to the relevant basic sector mileage.
- Family members registered with the ANA Mileage Club Family Account (AFA) Service or ANA Card Family Miles are allowed to combine miles for redeeming awards.
ANA Upgrade with Points
Upgrade Points refer to special points granted to premium-level members basis the premium points earned on flights operated by the ANA Group between January—December of the preceding year. You can use Upgrade Point to upgrade your seat or access a lounge.
Upgrade Points Table. The table below shows how upgrade points are calculated
|Premium Points Earned the Previous Year|
(On flights operated by the ANA Group)
|Upgrade Points Earned|
To put Upgrade Points in perspective:
- You will need 10 Upgrade Points to upgrade from Economy/Premium Economy to Business Class on international flights:
- To/from the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Austria, Belgium, the United States, Canada, and Mexico (Europe and Canada).
- To/from Australia (Oceania).
- You will need 8 Upgrade Points to upgrade from Economy/Premium Economy to Business Class on international flights to/from Honolulu, India, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Malaysia (Southeast Asia and South Asia).
- You will need 6 Upgrade Points to upgrade from Economy to Business Class on international flights to/from Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Mainland China (East Asia).
Super Flyers Card Members. Aside from Upgrade Points that members earn on flights operated by the ANA Group, Diamond, Platinum, and Bronze Service members who also happen to be Super Flyers Primary Members (except family members) are entitled to 4 additional Upgrade Points.
Major Highlights of Upgrade Points
- ANA Mileage Club members can also earn Upgrade Points for travelling frequently with ANA (most other Star Alliance programs do not offer this benefit). However, flying with other airlines won’t earn you any Upgrade Points even if you’re an ANA Mileage Club member.
- The number of Upgrade Points earned will depend on how many Premium Points (similar to tier miles/status credits) you earn over a 12-month period on ANA Group-operated flights, as shown in the Upgrade Points Table above.
- Upgrade Points do not include Premium Points earned on flights operated by member airlines of Star Alliance and other partner airlines.
- If you’re a Diamond/Platinum/Bronze Service/Super Flyer Primary member, you will receive 4 Upgrade Points in addition to your tally of Upgrade Points above.
- Diamond Service members (only) can upgrade non-upgradable fares by using 2x the number of Upgrade Points.
ANA Paid Upgrades
ANA’s paid upgrades allow you to upgrade your seat to premium cabins, such as Business Class or First Class, by paying an additional fee by cash/credit card. This allows you to enjoy enhanced amenities, spacious seating, gourmet meals, increased baggage allowance (if applicable), and other exclusive services that go with the higher travel class.
Subject to availability, you can purchase an upgrade online directly from ANA’s website, by phone (call ANA through this website), through ANA’s ticketing office or call center, at ANA’s airport check-in counter, or through your travel agent.
ANA Upgrade to Premium Economy
How ANA’s Premium Economy upgrade works
An ANA upgrade to Premium Economy on long-haul flights will get you a larger seat, 4 to 8 inches of extra legroom, priority baggage, an in-flight entertainment system, a USB charging outlet, a universal power outlet, a personal reading light, and extendable leg rest.
On select aircraft (Boeing 777-300ER, A380, and Boeing 787-10), an ANA Airlines upgrade to Premium Economy (newer seats) will enhance your in-flight entertainment experience with larger screens (15.6in) compared to most screens offered on other Premium Economy cabins.
- If you’re upgrading to Premium Economy Class, only the following Economy fare classes can be upgraded with miles: Y, B, M, U, H, Q, and V.
- You can also bid for an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy Class by participating in ANA’s Bid for Upgrade program (see below). If you qualify, you will receive an email inviting you to bid for an upgrade.
ANA Airlines Bid for Upgrade
To qualify for ANA Airlines bid for upgrade program:
- You must have purchased an Economy Class (paid) ticket.
- You should want to upgrade to Premium Economy.
- Your itinerary must originate in Japan (domestic flights excluded), the United States, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, or the Philippines.
How to bid for an upgrade on ANA. If you are eligible to bid for an upgrade:
- You will receive a Bid My Price email invitation
You will receive an invitation by email from BidMyPrice@bid.ana.co.jp 7 days before departure.
- You will make your offer (optional)
- Follow the instructions provided in the email.
- On the bidding page, select a bid price within the preset price range against your flight.
- Depending on where you’re booking from, submit your bid in U.S.D/C.A.D., Singaporean Dollars, Japanese Yen, Euros, British Pounds, Thai Baht, Malaysian Ringgit, Indonesian Rupiah, or Vietnam Dong.
- Bid at least 48 hours before the departure date of your flight, when bidding closes.
- You can make changes to or cancel your bid up to 48 hours before departure
- You will register your credit card information
- Follow the on-screen instructions to register your payment information—only the following credit cards are accepted: MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Diners, and JCB.
- Your card will not be charged until your bid is successful.
- You will receive anupgrade notification
- If your bid offer is successful:
- Your booking will be upgraded
- You will receive ANA’s EMD Passenger Receipt no less than 24 hours before departure.
- If multiple offers with the same bid price are received, ANA will prioritize the offers based on the booking class, Mileage Club status, and the date of offer submission.
- If your offer is not successful:
- You will be informed at least 24 hours before departure.
- Your credit card will not be charged.
- You will need to fly in your original booking class (Economy Class).
- If your bid offer is successful:
- You won’t be able to select your seat if you’re upgrading to Premium Economy.
- If seats are available, you’ll be able to change your seat during online check-in, which commences 24 hours before departure.
- If your Economy Class ticket has vacant adjacent seats, your upgraded seat may not have a vacant adjacent seat.
- After you’ve upgraded to Premium Economy, you may not be able to get back your original Economy Class seat.
- If your bid is successful, the fare rules of your original ticket will continue to apply toward the accrual of miles, Premium Points, flight cancellation, and flight change policy.
- If your bid is accepted, the EMDs (Electronic Miscellaneous Documents) for the services you have already purchased can be used for the same or another flight, as long as you fulfill the required terms and conditions and use the EMDs within their validity period.
- This bid for upgrade service is provided in partnership with a Canada-based company called Plusgrade.
- Upgrade bids will only apply to the flights mentioned in your Bid My Price email invite. If you’ve booked multiple trips in the same itinerary, all the flights may not be upgraded.
- If there are multiple passengers in your booking, the invitation email will be sent to the main contact person and not all the passengers in the booking.
- If there are multiple passengers on your booking, your bid will apply to all the passengers, and all applicable taxes and handling fees will be included in the overall price.
- If your booking includes more than one eligible flight, you can bid for all such flights via a single email.
- If you make any changes to your flight after bidding, your bid will become invalid and won’t apply to the new flight.
- You will be notified about the outcome of your bid by email. Individual inquiries will not be accepted.
- You’re allowed to make changes to your bid or cancel it up to 48 hours before departure and before your upgrade is confirmed. You cannot make any changes to your bid or cancel it within 48 hours of your flight’s departure.
- After your upgrade bid is confirmed, you cannot:
- Make any changes to it, or
- Receive a refund, or
- Use your miles/points to upgrade
ANA Domestic Upgrades
ANA domestic upgrades refer to domestic flight upgrades within Japan. You can upgrade a domestic flight by redeeming your frequent flyer miles with the ANA Mileage Club program or purchase an upgrade (online or at the airport).
If you prefer not to use miles, you can inquire about purchasing a domestic upgrade at the airport on the day of your flight, subject to availability. Upgrades are not guaranteed and are subject to availability and certain restrictions. To increase your chances of securing an upgrade, check with ANA prior to your flight and explore the different options available for upgrading your domestic flight experience.
ANA Free Upgrades
Getting a free upgrade with ANA (All Nippon Airways) is not an easy feat, but it is possible with a bit of luck and planning. One way to increase your chances of snagging an upgrade is by joining ANA’s loyalty program, Mileage Club. As a member, you’ll have access to exclusive promotions and offers that may include complimentary upgrades, especially if you’re an elite status member.
Another option is to dress the part and arrive at the airport looking your best. Airlines sometimes offer upgrades based on availability and appearances do matter. Additionally, being flexible with your travel dates and times can also increase your chances of being upgraded. Lastly, you can try your luck by simply asking at the check-in counter or gate if any upgrades are available. While there are no guarantees, it never hurts to ask politely.
ANA Meal Upgrade
If you’re travelling in Economy or Premium Economy Class, you can upgrade your meals on all flights (excluding flights to Vladivostok). You can choose between Japanese or Western cuisine, both of which include an appetizer, main meal, plus dessert.
ANA meal upgrades can be made online through My Booking where you can view and modify your reservation details. Simply access your flight booking, look for the option to update your meal preference, select the desired upgrade, and pay. If you encounter any difficulties or have specific requests, it’s best to contact ANA’s customer service directly for assistance.
Remember, if you’re upgrading to Business Class:
- Your meal (Paid Exclusive Dining) will be cancelled, and
- You’ll be served a Business Class meal
- You can use your EMD for your Paid Dining Service on another itinerary within its validity period (1 year from the date of issuance)
If you’re upgrading to Premium Economy, you’ll be served an Economy Class meal.
Frequently Asked Questions About ANA Upgrade to Business Class
Upgrading to Business Class is a great way to enhance your travel experience, and with ANA, it’s easier than you may think. But we understand that you may have some questions before deciding to upgrade. This section answers a few frequently asked questions about ANA’s upgrade to Business Class. From how much it costs to what amenities are included, we’ll cover all the essential details you need to know.
To upgrade to Business Class on ANA, you can either use your miles or points (with ANA or Star Alliance airlines) or pay the fare difference, depending on your fare type and seat availability.
Yes, you can request an upgrade at the airport, but it is subject to availability. It’s best to check for availability in advance and make the necessary arrangements ahead of departure.
Yes, ANA offers the option to use your frequent flyer miles to upgrade to Business Class. The number of miles required will depend on your route and fare class.
Yes, when you upgrade to Business Class on ANA, you will have access to ANA lounges at participating airports.
Yes, once you have successfully upgraded to Business Class, you will be able to select your preferred seat based on availability.
No, the original fare conditions of your ticket will continue to apply to your upgraded ticket. This means you will earn the same number of miles on your upgraded ticket as you would if you were travelling on your original Economy/Premium Economy ticket.
Upgrading to Business Class on ANA offers a range of benefits, such as enhanced comfort, priority check-in, priority boarding, priority baggage handling, access to premium lounges, and upgraded dining options, to name a few.
Yes, there is a fee associated with upgrading to Business Class. The fees vary, depending on your route, seat availability, and how you’re upgrading—with cash or miles/points.
Yes, you can still request an upgrade even if you booked your ANA ticket through a travel agent.
Upgrades are subject to availability and are not guaranteed. The earlier you request an upgrade, the better your chances are of securing one.
Yes, ANA allows passengers to upgrade specific legs of their journey.
If your upgrade request with ANA is not confirmed, you will remain in your original class of service and any fees paid for the upgrade will be refunded.
Yes, only certain fare classes are eligible for upgrades. For details, refer to ANA International Upgrades above.
Yes, elite members of ANA’s Mileage Club have priority when it comes to upgrades.
Yes, if all available upgrade slots are taken, you may be placed on a waitlist and notified if a seat becomes available closer to your departure date.
Yes, you can use United miles to upgrade on ANA. United Airlines and ANA are both members of the Star Alliance, which means that they have a partnership allowing customers to redeem miles for upgrades on each other’s flights. To upgrade on ANA using United miles, you will need to have a qualifying fare class ticket and sufficient miles in your United MileagePlus account. The number of miles required for an upgrade will depend on the specific route and class of service.
To use your United miles for an upgrade on ANA, you will need to contact United Airlines directly and inquire about the availability and terms of the upgrade.
You can upgrade an ANA flight with your miles/points (with ANA or a Star Alliance airline) or with cash. On select routes, you can also bid for an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy Class. Eligible routes include itineraries that originate in Japan (except domestic flights), U.S.A, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, or the Philippines.