According to the Volaris flight delay compensation policy, any flight delay of more than 1 hour entitles you to compensation, as long as the delay is directly attributable to reasons within the airline’s control. The amount of compensation will depend on the length of the delay, as explained below. However, you will not be eligible for any compensation if the flight delay occurs due to extraordinary reasons over which Volaris has no control—such as bad weather conditions, airport strikes, political strife, etc.
When considering a Volaris flight delay compensation, remember the points below.
- If a flight delay is more than 60 minutes but under 4 hours and is due to reasons attributable to Volaris, you will be provided with a discount through a Volaris Electronic Voucher for a later flight as follows:
- For flight delays exceeding 1 hour but under 2 hours, a Volaris Electronic Voucher of $/MXN 50 will be issued as flight delay compensation.
- For flight delays exceeding 2 hours but under 4 hours, a Volaris Electronic Voucher of $/MXN 250 will be issued if 7.5% of the ticketed price is lower than $/MXN 250. If 7.5% of the ticketed price exceeds $/MXN 250, a Volaris Electronic Voucher of 7.5% of the ticketed price will be issued as compensation.
- If your flight is delayed by at least 4 hours (or cancelled) due to reasons attributable to Volaris, you can opt for any of the following options:
- Volaris Cancel your flight and obtain a full refund plus at least 1/ 4th of the ticket price/unutilized ticket portion, or
- Ask for substitute transportation on the next flight available at no extra cost, along with free access to telephone calls, emails, meals in relation to the wait time, accommodation at a hotel if required, and ground transportation to and from the airport, or
- Travel at a convenient date in the future to the same destination and also receive at least 1/4th of the ticketed price or the unutilized part of the ticket as compensation
- Flight compensations will be issued within 10 days of the successful submission of a compensation request.
Volaris Electronic Vouchers
- Volaris Electronic Vouchers are non-transferrable and must be used by the passenger whose flight has been delayed or cancelled.
- You must establish the validity of the Electronic Voucher no later than 30 days after receiving it but can travel anytime within 12 months of receiving the voucher on any route operated by Volaris.
- You make the Electronic Voucher valid:
- From the U.S. at 1855 VOLARIS (8652747)
- From Mexico at 01(55) 1102-8000
- From Costa Rica at 506-4002-7642
- From Guatemala at 502- 2301-3939
- From Nicaragua at 505-2251- 2198
- From El Salvador at 503-2504-5540
- Online via Volaris Airlines website
- You can only use your Electronic Voucher once.
- If you don’t use the full amount at the time of booking, the balance amount will be lost.
- If your ticket is costlier than the value of the Electronic Voucher, you must pay up the difference.
- Electronic Vouchers:
- Cannot be clubbed with other promotions or other Electronic Vouchers, which means you can only use only one Electronic Voucher per booking.
- Cannot be used for paying taxes, additional services, and airport usage fees
(can only be used to pay air tariff).
- Cannot be used for travelling on long weekends, high season, and festive days (published here).
- Cannot be exchanged for cash, goods, services, or products.
- Can be received by email or at the airport.
What is the Volaris Flight Delay Compensation for Food and Beverages?
If your flight is delayed by more than 2 hours but under 4 hours due to reasons within the airline’s control, or cancelled or delayed by 4 hours or more for the same reasons, Volaris will—upon request—provide a voucher for food and beverages that can be redeemed at the airport from where the delayed flight originates, based on the following conditions:
- The voucher (or food and beverages) will be provided to all passengers at the boarding gate or passenger attention modules.
- The value of the food vouchers will be $/MXN 100 per voucher at airports where Volaris has commercial agreements with food and beverage vendors, and the vouchers must be redeemed within 24 hours of being handed over.
- At airports where Volaris does not have commercial agreements with food and beverage vendors or if such vendors are not available, the airline will provide the food and beverage items it self (comprising a non-alcoholic drink and a snack).
What is the Volaris Flight Delay Compensation for Accommodation?
If your flight is delayed by 4 hours or more, or cancelled, due to reasons within the airline’s control, you will be entitled to complimentary:
- Hotel accommodation, if an overnight stay is required
- Ground transportation from the airport to the hotel and back
The hotel accommodation and/or transportation service will be commensurate with the Luxury, Business, or VIP class. However, you will have to request accommodation and/or transportation service at the airport and fill out the forms required by Volaris for the purpose.
Volaris Airlines Refund Policy
According to the Volaris Airlines refund policy:
- Volaris tickets cannot be refunded unless the fare conditions or certain situations allow you to cancel and refund your ticket.
- You will not be eligible for a refund if:
- You no-show for your Volaris flight
- You do not change your flight before its deadline
- You’re cancelling a flight after your check-in
- You’re cancelling a domestic flight outside of 24 hours
- You’re cancelling an international flight (most) less than 7 days prior to departure
- You can cancel and refund any flight within Mexico within 24 hours of ticket purchase if your flight departs at least 24 hours later.
- You can cancel and refund an international flight 7 or 7-plus days prior to departure.
- Volaris will issue your refund through the original form of payment (mostly) or via bank transfer.
- Tickets purchased from travel agencies can only be cancelled and refunded through the agency that issued your ticket. Your refund will be issued within 30 calendar days, subject to approval from Volaris.
- The time taken for refunds by Volaris is route-dependent, as shown below:
- Flights that originate from Columbia and Peru
- 5 – 30 calendar days from the request submission
- Fights that originate from Colombia, El Salvador, and Guatemala
- Within 15 days of the request submission
- Flights that originate from the U.S.
- For credit/debit card purchases Within 7 days of the request submission
- For purchases by other methods Within 20 days of the request submission
- Flights that originate from other countries Within 30 days of the request submission
- Flights that originate from Columbia and Peru
What is the Volaris Delayed Flight Compensation?
The Volaris delayed flight compensation policy applies to flight delays resulting from reasons directly within its control and does not apply to extraordinary conditions such as bad weather, airport strikes, air traffic control strife, etc., which are not within its control.
Volaris’ delayed flight compensation for reasons within its control is:
- A $/MXN 50 Electronic Voucher for flight delays exceeding 1 hour but under 2 hours.
- For flight delays exceeding 2 hours but under 4 hours, a Volaris Electronic Voucher worth:
- $/MXN 250 will be issued in case 7.5% of your ticketed price is lower than $/MXN 250.
- 7.5% of the ticketed price will be issued in case 7.5% of the ticketed price exceeds $/MXN 250.
For flight cancellations or delays exceeding 4 hours due to reasons within the airline’s control, you are entitled to:
- Claim a full refund plus no less than 1/4th of your ticket price/unused ticket portion, or
- Take the next flight available at no extra charge, along with complimentary access to telephone calls, emails, and meals in relation to the waiting time—as well as hotel accommodation (if required) and ground transportation from the airport to the hotel and back, or
- Fly later at your convenience to the same destination and claim compensation of no less than 1/4th of the ticket’s value/unutilized portion of the ticket’s value
Volaris Delayed Flight Policy
The Volaris delayed flight policy entitles passengers to certain rights and privileges in case of avoidable flight delays and cancellations (within the airline’s control). The policy does not apply to extraordinary situations that are not within its control, such as bad weather, airport strikes, etc.
Under the Volaris delayed policy, if your flight is delayed for avoidable reasons that Volaris could have controlled, you are entitled to compensation of $/MXN 50 in the form of a Volaris Electronic Voucher for any flight delay exceeding 1 hour but under 2 hours.
For flight delays of more than 2 hours but under 4 hours, you are entitled to compensation of $/MXN 250 if 7.5% of the ticketed price is less than $/MXN 250, and 7.5% of the ticketed price if 7.5% of the ticketed price exceeds $/MXN 250.
For avoidable flight delays exceeding 4 hours, you are entitled to:
- Take a full refund plus 25% of the ticket price/unutilized ticket portion as compensation, or
- Take the next flight that is offered to you at no additional charge in addition to complimentary phone calls, emails, and, if required, meals, hotel accommodation, and ground transportation from and to the airport, or
Fly at your convenience later (same destination) plus claim a compensation of 25% (at least) of the value of your ticket/unused part of the ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you do, as long as the reason for the flight delay is within Volaris’ control and not due to unavoidable reasons over which it has no control, such as bad weather, etc. The amount of compensation ranges from $/MXN 50 for flight delays of more than 1 hour but under 2 hours, to $/MXN 250, or a full ticket refund plus 25% of the ticketed price such as for delays exceeding 4 hours. For exact details, check out the section titled Volaris Delayed Flight Compensation above.
Your flight has to be delayed by at least 1 hour for you to get compensation from Volaris.
You can file a claim with Volaris:
1. Through Volaris Customer Service at 1 (855) 865-2747
2. Through Volaris’ WhatsApp number at +52-55-5898-8599
3. By calling 1 (800) 122-8000 for Baggage Claim
(select option 4 and then ask for the baggage department)
4. Through Twitter
Your flight must be delayed for at least 1 hour before you can apply for compensation on Volaris.
No, the Volaris delay policy will only enable you to claim compensation for flights delayed for reasons within the airline’s control and not for reasons it has no control over, such as bad weather.