Ethiopian Airlines offers you several ways for passengers to check in for your flight—such as:
- Online check-in
- Self-service kiosk check-in
- Airport counter check-in
Ethiopian Airlines Check-in Time
When should I check in for my Ethiopian Airlines flight?
Ethiopian Airlines check-in time will depend on how you’re checking in and your route, as explained below.
- Online Check-in Time
You can check in online from 72 hours to 2 hours before departure for all domestic and international flights.
The following airports are temporarily closed for online check-in:
- Airport Counter Check-in Time
Ethiopian Airlines check-in counters open 3 hours before departure and close 1 hour before departure, but 75 minutes before departure if your flight departs from London Heathrow Airport (LHR). You must report at the airport check-in counter:
- For international flights
- At least 4 hours before departure for flights to/from the United States.
- At least 3 hours before departure for flights from Addis Ababa.
- At least 2 hours before departure for flights all other international flights.
- Starting 1300 hours local Ethiopian time for flights from Addis Ababa to the United States, Canada, and Europe.
- For domestic flights within Ethiopia
- At least 1 hour before departure.
- Reach the bag drop counter at least 45 minutes before departure. Reach the boarding gate at least 30 minutes before departure.
- At least 1 hour before departure.
Ethiopian Airlines Online Check-in
Ethiopian Airlines web check-in process
A screenshot of Ethiopian Airlines online Check-in functionality
Ethiopian Airlines web check-in starts 72 hours before departure and closes 2 hours before departure for all domestic and international flights. Online self-check-in allows you to check in through ET’s website from your home and save time at the airport. After checking in, you can download your boarding pass to your mobile phone or print it and bring it to the airport.
To check in online from the Ethiopian Airlines website, follow the steps below:
- Go to EthiopianAirlines.com
- Click on the Check-in tab
|To check in with your Booking Reference Number|
(opens by default)
|To check in with your Ticket Number|
|Enter your: Booking Reference numberLast name||Select the Ticket Number option Enter your: Ticket Number Last name|
- Click on the Check-in button
Your flight itinerary will appear on the screen
- Confirm that you’re not carrying any hazardous materials
- Follow the on-screen prompts to:
- Select or change your seat, or continue
- Enter your checked baggage information
(this does not include hand baggage allowance)
- Add extra baggage (optional)
- Complete your check-in
You will receive your e-boarding pass.
- Be sure to save your boarding pass to your smartphone or print 2 copies and bring them to the airport.
- If you’re carrying baggage, check in your baggage at the bag drop counter:
- At least 45 minutes before departure for a domestic flight
- At least 60 minutes before departure for an international flight
…and then proceed to the boarding gate
- You must be at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes before departure.
- If you’re unable to check in online, you must reach the airport at least 2 hours before departure.
Online Check-in Restrictions
You will not be able to check in online:
- If you’re departing from Ndjamena, Bamako, or Mombassa.
- If you’ve requested a special service:
- Such as a wheelchair, stretcher, extra seat, etc.
- You’re travelling with a pet in the hold or as an unaccompanied minor.
- You don’t have an e-ticket.
- If your flight departs in less than 2 hours or after more than 72 hours.
Self-Service Kiosk Check-in
Ethiopian Airlines self-check-in process (kiosk)
You can save time by checking in at an airport self-service kiosk instead of an airport counter. To check in at a self-service kiosk:
- Find a self-service kiosk from your departing flight’s terminal.
- Select the Ethiopian Airlines tab.
- Choose your preferred language (English/French).
- Find your flight booking by Destination/Flight Number/Reservation Code.
- Confirm that you’re not carrying any hazardous material and/or dangerous goods.
- Check-in and add your personal details.
- Accept or choose a seat from the interactive seat map.
- Add missing personal details (if any), such as your:
- Passport information
- Frequent flyer number
- Checked baggage details
- Collect your boarding pass (you will receive a printout of your boarding pass with a 2D barcode).
Ethiopian Airlines’ airport counters open 3 hours before departure and close 1 hour before departure (75 minutes before departure from London Heathrow Airport. If you’re physically checking in at an airport counter, you must check in:
- International flights
- For flights from/to the United States, at least 4 hours before departure.
- For flights from Addis Ababa, at least 3 hours before departure—starting from 1300 hours local Ethiopian time if your flight is from Addis Ababa to the United States, Canada, or Europe.
- For all other international flights, at least 2 hours before departure.
- Domestic flights
- For flights within Ethiopia, at least 1 hour before departure.
You must drop your bags at least 45 minutes before departure and be at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes before departure.
Airport check-in process
- You will need to show your ticket and passport at the security checkpoints and airport counter.
- After you check in and drop your bags, you will be issued a boarding pass.
- You must then proceed to the boarding gate and be there at least 30 minutes before departure.
- Business Class (Cloud Nine) passengers, ShebaMiles Platinum/Gold, and Star Alliance members can check in at specially designated counters and then wait in a special Cloud Nine lounge in the airport’s Departure Area.
Frequently Asked Questions on Ethiopian Airlines Flight Booking
You can self-check-in for your Ethiopian Airlines flight:
• Online via the Check-in functionality on EthiopianAirlines.com
(enter your Booking Reference and Last Name, click on the Check-in button, and follow the prompts to check-in and obtain your boarding pass).
• At an airport kiosk
(enter the required details and follow the prompts to check in and receive a printout of your boarding pass).
To web check-in for an Ethiopian Airlines flight, go to the homepage (EthiopianAirlines.com), select the online Check-in option, enter the required details (your booking reference number and last name), click on the Check-in button, and follow the prompts to complete your check-in and receive your e-boarding pass. Simply save the boarding pass to your mobile phone or make 2 printouts and bring them to the airport.