You can check in for a Japan Airlines flight in several ways:
- International flights
- Web Check-in (QuiC)
- Check-in and Ticketing Kiosk
(International Self Service Check-in Machine)
- Airport Counter Check-in
- Domestic flights
- Touch & Go Service
Japan Airlines Check-in Time
When should I check in for my Japan Airlines flight?
Japan Airlines’ check-in time will depend on how you’re checking in, as explained below.
- Online Check-in Time
- For international flights, you can web check-in via QuiC from 24 hours to 1 hour before your flight’s departure, including for flights operated by British Airways, Iberia, and American Airlines. For Finnair flights, you can web check in from 36 hours before departure.
- For domestic flights within Japan, there are no additional check-in requirements if you have booked your ticket and selected your seat. All you need to do is scan your Touch & Go two-dimensional barcode or tap your JMB/JALCARD over the reader and make sure you check in your baggage at least 30 minutes before departure, go through the security gate at least 20 minutes before departure (30 minutes if you’re connecting to a domestic or an international flight), and reach the boarding gate at least 10 minutes before departure.
- Check-in and Ticketing Kiosk Check-in Time
Available at select airports, you can check in at a self-service kiosk at least 1 hour before departure for international flights. For domestic flights, you don’t need to check in if you have purchased your ticket and booked your seat.
- Airport Counter Check-in Time
You must complete your check-in process:
- For international flights. At least 1 hour before departure.
- You must be at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes before departure.
- For domestic flights. You must:
- Check in your baggage at least 30 minutes before departure
- Pass the security gate at least 20 minutes before departure
(30 minutes if you’re connecting to a domestic or an international flight).
- Reach the boarding gate at least 10 minutes before departure.
Japan Airlines Web Check-in (QuiC)
About online check-in at Japan Airlines
Japan Airlines’ web check-in (also known as online check-in) is available from 24 hours (local time) to 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time. You can use JAL’s QuiC online service to choose your seat, check in online for your flight, and receive your boarding pass. Checking in online saves you the hassle of standing in a line and checking in at the airport on the day of departure.
Web check-in, i.e., online check-in, is available for all international flights operated by Japan Airlines, except charter flights and codeshare flights operated by other airlines. Also, if your airport does not accept home-printed boarding passes/mobile boarding passes, you will need to check in from the airport’s check-in counter.
You can register for advance web check-in from the time you book your flight till 24 hours before the departure of your first flight by clicking on the Web Check in button on the right side, as shown above. This will automatically check you for your flight 24 hours before departure, as long you provide your passport number and other information after purchasing your ticket. You will be automatically assigned a seat (if you haven’t selected one), and your boarding pass will be sent to you via a web check-in notification email.
If you’re checking in online for your JAL flight, have the following information ready:
- Your e-ticket/receipt
- Passport details of each passenger
- e-mail address of each passenger/representative passenger
To check in online for a Japan Airlines international flight from 24 hours to 1 hour before departure, follow the steps below:
- Go to JAL.com
- Choose your City and Language and click on the Go button, or
Select your Language and Country from the boxes appearing below
- Click on the Check in tab and then on the Web Check in button
- Search for your reservation by:
- Reservation Number, or
- E-ticket Number, or
- Authorization Number (provided by your travel agent)
- Enter your:
- Flight number
- Departure date
- Passenger name
- Click on the Identification button
- Select the passengers to be checked in
Note. This step will be skipped if there’s only one passenger in the booking. If your travel companion has a separate booking, you can check her/him from this page, or select the Add Passenger option 2 steps later and repeat the step above.
- Confirm that you’re not carrying restricted items.
- Confirm your flight and seat selection and click on Continue.
Note. You can change your seat by clicking on the Seat Map button and add a travel companion by clicking on the Add Passenger button on the left.
- Now select the passenger and seat (for all passengers) and then click on the Confirm Seats button.
- Enter your passenger and passport details and click on the Confirm Details button
- Enter your contact details and click on the Save Contact Details button
- Select how you want to receive your boarding pass:
- By e-mail
- By printout
- On iPhone/iPad via Wallet
- Mobile Boarding Pass (Google Pay)
…and click on the Continue button
The Check-in Complete page will now show up on your screen, which means you’ve completed your check-in process. On the day of departure:
- Bring your e-ticket and boarding pass (printed or on the mobile) to the airport
- Drop off your bags at the Fast Baggage Drop counter
- Go through security
- Head for the boarding gate
What Your JAL Boarding Pass Looks Like
|Home Printed Boarding Pass||Mobile Boarding Pass (iOS/Wallet)||Mobile Boarding Pass (Android/Google Play)|
Note. If your airport does not accept web check-in/mobile check-in, you will need to check in either at the airport kiosk (if available) or at the airport counter.
You will not be able to web check in for your flight if:
- You require special assistance to board your flight.
- Your Reservation Number is not registered in your flight booking. If you booked your flight through a travel agent, the Reservation Number issued by them may be different, so you must make sure you enter the JL/Japan Airlines flight Reservation Number.
- There are several passengers in the same booking for different flights on the same day and from the same airport.
- There’s another passenger with the same last and first name in the same flight booking.
- If the Authorization Number (issued by your travel agent) has not been registered in the booking (check with your travel agent).
- Your tour package ticket (issued by your travel agent) does not qualify for web check-in.
- If the flight information has been updated/changed in the booking but not on the ticket.
- Your visa has expired.
Japan Airlines Kiosk Check-in
A screenshot of Japan Airlines’ self-service check-in kiosk, also known as International Self Service Check-in Machine
If you have an e-ticket, you can check in at an airport kiosk* (available at select airports) for an international flight at least 1 hour before departure. Check-ins are not required for domestic flights within Japan if you have already booked your ticket and selected your seat.
|*JAL’s self-service kiosks, also known as International Self Service Check-in Machines, are available at the following airports: Haneda Airport (Tokyo International Airport) Narita International AirportKansai International Airport Daniel K. Inouye International AirportLos Angeles International Airport Seattle-Tacoma International AirportFrankfurt International Airport Heathrow International AirportTaipei Songshan Airport Taiwan Taoyuan International AirportKuala Lumpur International Airport Baiyun International AirportShanghai Pudong International Airport|
You can use a self-service kiosk to:
- Check in for your flight.
- Select your seat from a seat map.
- Obtain a printout of your boarding pass
(even if you have completed your QuiC web check-in).
- Obtain a printout of your baggage receipt for JAL TEBURA Service.
- Obtain your e-ticket itinerary/receipt.
- Obtain a printout of your baggage tag (at select airports).
To check in at a self-service kiosk, you must have at least one of the following items:
|JMB Members(registered for advance booking)||Non-JMB Members|
|JALCARD/JMB Card 2D Barcode printout|
(e-ticket itinerary/receipt)8- or 12-digit Order Number Mobile Phone with JAL IC (NFC) function
|2D Barcode printout|
(e-ticket itinerary/receipt)8- or 12-digit Order Number
To check in at a self-service kiosk, follow the steps below:
- Select Check-in as your preferred service
- Follow the on-screen instructions to check in up to 6 passengers.
- After you complete your check-in, the completion screen will display what you will need to board your flight.
Make sure each passenger on your booking:
- Is carrying the items required for boarding.
- Passes through the security checkpoint at least 20 minutes before departure. If you have bags to check, you should be at the baggage counter at least 30 minutes before departure.
|Item used to check in||Item required to board|
|JALCARD/JMB Card||If the card was scanned||JALCARD/JMB Card|
|If the card was inserted||Boarding Pass*|
|Mobile Device with JAL IC (NFC)||Mobile Device with JAL IC (NFC)|
|(8-/12-digit Order Number/Confirmation Number||Boarding Pass*|
|* If you’re checking in several passengers, each passenger will be issued a Boarding Pass. If each passenger uses a different verification item, all passengers being checked in will be issued a boarding pass simultaneously if one of the passengers enters an Order Number or inserts a card. Do ensure you have received a boarding pass for each passenger.|
At the security checkpoint and boarding gate, scan or tap the item to pass through.
You may not be able to use a self-check-in kiosk if:
- You’re travelling on a codeshare flight operated by another airline.
- Your passport is not machine-readable.